• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Level/Casual Dublin Ireland team tournament footage

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
A bit of context: The Ireland Smash scene died many years ago, and the few players were absorbed by other FG scenes (I ended up in the SF4 scene) or stopped playing entirely.

On the weekend of Evo though, I really wanted us to play some Melee, so I pushed heavily for a "fun" team tournament with friendly fire active and low items.

Even though very few people knew how to play, we had 9 teams enter, and were able to grab some footage with commentary, which was nice.
There is no need to comment and tell the players they are terrible. They already know :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvTJrRI6u-E&list=PLJM6s5crj24sSN6QqZ8xPCm99564EXuKb

I hope with enough people enjoying themselves, we can start to get more "traditional" tournaments running at events beside the main games here in the future :)

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
These videos do appear to be drawing some hibernating Smash players out of the local woodwork to possibly participate in future tournaments.

If anyone has any tips for future recordings to help us appear more pro, I'd appreciate any advice.

A few problems I noticed myself off the bat:

Commentary:
- We were definitely all inexperienced commentating Smash. Some people were much more comfortable on the mic than others. I thought I'd have an easy time because I've done some SF commentary, and I've played a lot of Smash, but 4 player team matches are nuts, and I often found myself reduced to silence as my brain tried to catch up with the action on screen. Following the action of four players is so much more difficult than doing the same of two.

- Too many actual Smash players on the mic. I think the dynamic of explaining a super casual tournament would have been helped more by pairing a more experienced general commentator with no knowledge of Smash with a less commentary experienced Smash "expert" so the commentary spoke better to the level of players.

Recording:

Names? - I dunno is it typical in team tournaments to insist that players all enter names to more easily follow the action. This would have definitely slowed down the tournament a bit, but I feel the recording would have been better off for it

Missing matches - There were more games played than recorded. Tech problems caused them to be lost to the ether. Very unfortunate, but I'm glad we got the grand finals, since that was the most fun match.

Rules:

Nuts rules - The rules were nuts because the play was casual. Link here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991366). It would be nice if there were some transitional rules that could be used for immediate future tournaments, to keep the non-smash players comfortable and participating (would probably need to be teams again); but without going straight to selective stage banning, Dave's crazy rules, Fox only, No items, Final Destination. Any serious rules tournament is likely to only get about 6 participants.

Top Bottom