• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Literally who wanted this literally who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I mean, really. And no, I'm not trying to start anything. Memes aside, this character is hardly an all-star, his game is not even released internationally. Why did Sakurai feel compelled to create this character?

Of all the recent offerings Nintendo has to give (which is hilariously very little, mind you), he could've picked a new IP like Inkling or, if we had to go with anime crap, Elma from Xenoblade X. Fire Emblem has enough reps, and Corrin is the same vein as Robin: an avatar character; the designs are ridiculously similar.

I will admit, the gameplay is interesting, but what are we to lose by not having this character anyway? Yet again, this character wields a sword, and possesses a counter. And yes, it's a counter, despite all the flashiness.

No, not even mad or butthurt or anything, just trying to narrow down Sakurai's reasoning. I don't get it, personally. What do you all think?

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
The salt is real.

SlurpySloth

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai added Corrin because of his (if you couldn't tell already) ridiculous bias for FE. I'm almost positive that's about it.

Also, Etika wanted Corrin in. (Does that count?)

Nah

Smash Champion
Who knows why Sakurai does anything really

I do wonder though what made them pick Corrin for a DLC character.....but I sure as **** ain't complaining

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I wanted it. It wasn't my first choice by a long shot. I didn't even vote for Corrin because I thought it was silly to vote for a character that didn't even have a game out (where I lived) yet, but I hoped that eventually he would.

I do think that we could do without a couple of FE characters, but if so, then it's the Marth clones. And one of those is just a skin with a slot. And the other is optional. So I really don't mind, and I hope FE: Fates sells well enough to show why Corrin is worthwhile. Particularly since I already preordered the Special Edition.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Me

After caving and importing Fates over from JP this summer I've really ended up falling in love with the game (questionable additions aside), and of course Corrin too (Especially Anya/Nohr Corrin). I'm incredibly surprised at the edition but really happy Corrin made it in the game.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
The salt is real.
Personally I'm neutral on this character but the inclusion itself bewilders me. Thankfully I have the choice if I want to spend my money on this character; most likely I won't.

Also if it had to be someone from Fates, I'd pick Azura.

Last edited:

HornBill

Smash Rookie
It's pretty obvious it was for publicity purposes due to the upcoming game

Last edited:

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
It is literally just to promote the new game. Other than that the only thing is I worry for melee based or even light characters as Corrin seems to be able to kill quickly and with a large amount of disjoint to boot.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
I didn't want it, but I am really glad he/she made it in. He seems really unique and fun to play. I can understand wanting more franchise representation besides FE, but he looks awesome, so I don't understand all the salt. IMO, as long as a character is fun, idc what franchise they came from.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I wanted him... for SSB5.

This is both unexpected and welcome.

CORRIN HYPE...!!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Since I am biased toward Fire Emblem, what with it being mine absolute favourite video game series of all time, I was always open to the idea of either Corrin or Azura being playable--though I never expected it to happen. If nothing else, Corrin will undoubtedly bring attention to Fire Emblem: Fates. And look at it this way: at least he's not an outright semi/clone like Lucina or Roy. Since Robin, quite frankly, isn't ideal for competitive play, I might just de-main Robin in favour of Corrin and Bayonetta.

...Admittedly, though, if I could trade Corrin for Isaac, I would in a heartbeat.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
ITT: Whiny fanboy who could have vented in a social thread decides to take the logical course of action and create a new thread in the section reserved for the character.

Corrin had a Support Thread at some point during Smash speculation. Just because you didn't want him/her in doesn't mean others don't also.

Inb4 inevitable lock.

M@v

Subarashii!
Its simple. He did it for the same reason Roy was put into melee. It is to promote the upcoming FE game. Yes, I know it's already out in Japan, but its available literally nowhere else. This move doesn't surprise me much really; I was moreso expecting Corrin to replace Robin if there would be a smash 5, but DLC for smash 4 works too.

Last edited:

gamegalaxy64

Smash Cadet
NNID
flarefusion1
3DS FC
1048-9074-1793
I didn't know I wanted him until he was announced. Now I'm really hyped for him.

Sakurai probably added him because he/she has a very unique play style. In my opinion, that's more important than series representation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Roy got the same thing, Roy game was not released in japain in the time that melle come out

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Corrin/Kamui was one of the many characters I voted for during the Smash Ballot, but he was in the very back of my head when I thought of who would appear in the latest direct.

The moment the "Choose Your Path" scene from Fates started playing was the moment my jaw dropped.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I don't mind Corrin at all. The character is very unique and brings something new to the table. Fire Emblem rep? Swordfighter? I really don't see why those are even big issues. Sure, Fire Emblem has a lot of reps compared to other series, but is it really that big of deal? A character's a character, not to mention one with a different moveset. As for swordfighters, I honestly don't see the problem. We have so many other characters that fight with their arms and stuff, so is it really THAT big of a deal? When was it ever decided that this game would have considerably more fists than swords? There's absolutely nothing wrong with having Corrin as a character.

And yes, to each their own. Some wanted Corrin, some don't mind and accept Corrin, and others straight up don't want Corrin, but at the end of the day, Corrin's in the game and you don't have to buy the character. Everybody had their character wish lists and Sakurai is definitely NOT going to meet the demands of all those wish lists. And yes, I know Corrin wasn't the ballot character, but that's not the point.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
No one.

Nintendo has been trying to make Fire Emblem happen for more than twenty years and only finally got a foot in the door with Awakening, which was supposed to be the death of the series. Now they're shoving FE up the ass of Sm4sh because the series has traditionally been the main grounds for Fire Emblem shilling.

And so, enjoy yet another anime swordsman with a counterattack. I wouldn't blame Sakurai for this one though. He deserves most of his hate, but I'm sure this was 100% Nintendo's decision.

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai himself like FE a lot. Also Kamui/Corrin is really popular in Japan. Kamui has some interesting mechanics.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No one.

Nintendo has been trying to make Fire Emblem happen for more than twenty years and only finally got a foot in the door with Awakening, which was supposed to be the death of the series. Now they're shoving FE up the *** of Sm4sh because the series has traditionally been the main grounds for Fire Emblem shilling.

And so, enjoy yet another anime swordsman with a counterattack. I wouldn't blame Sakurai for this one though. He deserves most of his hate, but I'm sure this was 100% Nintendo's decision.
...Yeah, I doubt it. Samurai is a HUGE Fire Emblem fan, and I'm pretty sure he saw this as his last chance to ever have someone like Corrin in the game, considering that by Smash 5, Fates will not be the front and center of FE.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
No one.

Nintendo has been trying to make Fire Emblem happen for more than twenty years and only finally got a foot in the door with Awakening, which was supposed to be the death of the series. Now they're shoving FE up the *** of Sm4sh because the series has traditionally been the main grounds for Fire Emblem shilling.

You didn't even read the other posts here, did you?

KatKit

Smash Lord
I wanted an obscure, not widely known character reveal that'd make a lot of people go "WTF?". I wasn't expecting Corrin, which is exactly why I am satisfied. In other words, I didn't even know I wanted this character in until after their reveal. Corrin looks fun, and I want to know more about the character. I support big brother/sister 100%. Although Bayonetta is still more hype IMO lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom