• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Luigi-fy some "similar" characters.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
There has been some characters in the game which are referred to as clones. Most of these clones have slight differences in their special moves that help make the character feel more unique. However, even though their special moves are slightly different from the original moveset. I would really enjoy if these characters were luigi-fied, in which they would be given brand-new special moves that cater to a more unique playstyle.

So here is my challenge for us. Let's create new special move ideas for similar characters so they feel more unique on their own! Feel free to come up with your own ideas.

This is my Example for Falco:

Side Special: Feather Roll

Falco dashes forward, dodging all projectiles. He also damages enemies, but not as powerful as Foxes. If you push attack while the special is going on. You will so a quick slash that can be deadly if timed right.

Up Special: Falco Phantasm

Basically his side-b can now be aimed in 8 directions.

Obviously i'm not the best when it comes to balanced movesets. That's why i'm asking you to make cool ones for other characters such as Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Lucas.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Toon Link:

Up Special: Deku Leaf

Wind blows from below, Toon link opens his Deku Leaf and is lifted by the wind. Then, he enters a state of glide (different from Pit, MK, because he can't go up).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I like this idea!

Toon Link: - Up-B - Deku Leaf (As mentioned above)
Side-B - Grappling Hook - Can be used as a tether, and offensively he lets it fly and it wraps around opponents. They are then unable to attack fora second.
Neutral B - Arrows - Every time he draws his bow, a different-property elemental arrow is attached. Ice arrows freeze, fire arrows burn and light arrows have a disable effect. (Like Mewtwo's old attack)

Ganon - Still has Flame Choke and Warlock Punch. Some of his A-moves now utilize the Sage's Sword. He still has the Thunderstomp.

Up-B - Rising Slash - Ganon rises into the air diagonally with his sword and shadowy purple following behind him. If he manages to his his opponent, he spikes them downaward.

Down-B - Shadowshock - Ganon plunges his sword into the ground, and dark lightning arcs around it.

I'll do Lucas later.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Toon Link
Glide: Deku Leaf
Side Special: Grappling Hook
Up Special: Wind Waker (Uses Wind Waker to create an up current of air to push Toon Link vertically)
Neutral Special: Fire and Ice arrows (Fire arrows will be shot from his bow 75% of the time while there is 25% chance an Ice will appear to freeze opponents)
Down Special: Bombs

Forward Smash: Skull Hammer

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I would give Ganondorf a complete overhaul (hovering ability, projectile, ground shock, sword attacks, etc.). He currently has the most potential that's being completely squandered.

Falco could use some new directional specials. Otherwise I like where he is.

Lucas and Toon Link need to go bye-bye.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
This is my Example for Falco:

Side Special: Feather Roll

Falco dashes forward, dodging all projectiles. He also damages enemies, but not as powerful as Foxes. If you push attack while the special is going on. You will so a quick slash that can be deadly if timed right.

Up Special: Falco Phantasm

Basically his side-b can now be aimed in 8 directions.

Obviously i'm not the best when it comes to balanced movesets. That's why i'm asking you to make cool ones for other characters such as Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Lucas.
Not so sure about side B, but I really like up b, even if its simple. If I'm imagining this right, it would still be rather like his current up b, but with none of the high startup, moving at a faster speed but shorter distance, and spiking. It would certainly differentiate him from Fox.

grizby2

Smash Lord
ness and lucas are kinda already "luigified" as it is... :facepalm:

please please PLEASE play them first in depth before saying anything.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
ness and lucas are kinda already "luigified" as it is... :facepalm:

please please PLEASE play them first in depth before saying anything.
I know they have very different normals, but what I'm trying to say is that they have "similar" special moves. I want these characters to be MORE different so the experience feels more UNIQUE when playing as them. Lucas and Ness have very similar special moves. All i'm saying is that I wish Lucas had atleast 1 or 2 completely different special moves so he felt more different than he already is. That is what "Luigi-fying" them means since even though Luigi has a very similar moveset, his one (two in brawl) unique special move(s) make him feel like a completely different character.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I know they have very different normals, but what I'm trying to say is that they have "similar" special moves. I want these characters to be MORE different so the experience feels more UNIQUE when playing as them. Lucas and Ness have very similar special moves. All i'm saying is that I wish Lucas had atleast 1 or 2 completely different special moves so he felt more different than he already is. That is what "Luigi-fying" them means since even though Luigi has a very similar moveset, his one (two in brawl) unique special move(s) make him feel like a completely different character.

yeah, they have similar specials but they only LOOK similar (which I admit may be just as annoying for some) which I don't think is an issue as long as they have completely different functions.

now, id yell at you, being a earthbound fan-boy and all, but since I know you post things for positive reasons.
my off-topic rant is put into a spoiler for your convenience ;)

luigi is less luigified than lucas. >:T

luigi has 2 special to himself yes, but what about his other moves?

grab pummel
down grab
up grab
forward grab
back grab
U-air
Bair
Nair
D-smash
Up smash

neutral B isn't as different as we wish it to be unfortunatelly
up-B, albeit still an uppercut, has a different use. but that's GOOD

ness's pk fire puts the enemy in place with many hitboxes, Lucas's pk fire knocks enemies away.
ness's pk thunder flies faster/pkt2 has 1 hit with high knock, Lucas's pk thunder is slower/pkt2 has multiple hitboxes.
ness's psi magnet cant hurt people, Lucas's psi magnet can hurt people (iirc it cant absorb things from the back)
pk flash is terrible slow, aaand pk freeze obviously flies further.. blah blah blah... yeah...

the stick/bat and headbutt are kinda the same besides speed and knock back. the a-combo is kinda styled like other characters like luigi, Mario, Yoshi, sonic, squirtle ect..

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
The only big difference I'd want to make to either Ness' or Lucas' specials is Ness' ^B. Whenever I play as him, it always seems like the ^B is just a worse version of Lucas', and I just wish he had something more unique and better. PK Teleport comes to mind.
The other specials, however, are still pretty distinct. Lucas' side and down b are both very potent mobility tools, while Ness is much more lacking in that department- his moves are more useful for projectile camping and counter-camping. In particular, the side B are practically nothing alike. They're both projectiles that go only a short distance and don't detonate on shields. That's it. Ness' is just as close to ZSS's, with both incapacitating the enemy and going a short distance, as it is to Lucas'.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Toon Link could use some Luigi-Fying, but only when it comes to his special moves and Smashes.

Up-special: Toon Link jumps a short distance upward and pulls out the Deku Leaf. Works the same as Peach's Up-special.

Neutral-Special: All 3 types of arrows. 70% chance for fire arrows, which have a burn effect. 25% chance for ice arrows, which can freeze characters. And 5% chance for light arrows. The Light arrows stun characters, (for a shorter amount of time than when a shield is broken) and will damage them over time during a stun. Also has electric effects. Though off topic, I'd also like for both Link and Toon Link to be able to aim their bow, like Bowser with his Fire Breath.

Down-special: Toon Link pulls out the Skull Hammer. The attack can be charged, and when used, it will unleash a small shockwave the launches opponents into the air, and deal minor damage. The Hammer will also deal very heavy damage to any close enough for a direct hit, and breaks shields very easily.

As far as other characters go, I wouldn't mind Lucas getting changed a bit (I didn't give him any new moves as I'm not very familiar with the Mother series) Falco could use many changes, to both his normal moves and specials, (I wouldn't mind his neutral and down specials staying though) Ganondorf needs a complete overhaul, and if Roy was brought back, he would need a new moveset as well.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Toon Link could use some Luigi-Fying, but only when it comes to his special moves.

Up-special: Toon Link jumps a short distance upward and pulls out the Deku Leaf. Works the same as Peach's Up-special.

Neutral-Special: All 3 types of arrows. 70% chance for fire arrows, which have a burn effect. 25% chance for ice arrows, which can freeze characters. And 5% chance for light arrows. The Light arrows stun characters, (for a shorter amount of time than when a shield is broken) and will damage them over time during a stun. Also has electric effects. Though off topic, I'd also like for both Link and Toon Link to be able to aim their bow, like Bowser with his Fire Breath.

Down-special: Toon Link pulls out the Skull Hammer. The attack can be charged, and when used, it will unleash a small shockwave the launches opponents into the air, and deal minor damage. The Hammer will also deal very heavy damage to any close enough for a direct hit, and breaks shields very easily.

As far as other characters go, I wouldn't mind Lucas getting changed a bit (I didn't give him any new moves as I'm not very familiar with the Mother series) Falco could use many changes, to both his normal moves and specials, (I wouldn't mind his neutral and down specials staying though) Ganondorf needs a complete overhaul, and if Roy was brought back, he would need a new moveset as well.

Haha your ideas are actually really clever! I wouldn't mind seeing Toon Link using abilities that fits him in that style.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Haha your ideas are actually really clever! I wouldn't mind seeing Toon Link using abilities that fits him in that style.
Thanks.:) the recovery/up-special was just me agreeing with everyone who already mentiond the Deku Leaf. With a recovery like Peach's and Arrows like that, I thought his down-special would need to be harder to use effectively.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
yeah, they have similar specials but they only LOOK similar (which I admit may be just as annoying for some) which I don't think is an issue as long as they have completely different functions.

now, id yell at you, being a earthbound fan-boy and all, but since I know you post things for positive reasons.
my off-topic rant is put into a spoiler for your convenience ;)

luigi is less luigified than lucas. >:T

luigi has 2 special to himself yes, but what about his other moves?

grab pummel
down grab
up grab
forward grab
back grab
U-air
Bair
Nair
D-smash
Up smash

neutral B isn't as different as we wish it to be unfortunatelly
up-B, albeit still an uppercut, has a different use. but that's GOOD

ness's pk fire puts the enemy in place with many hitboxes, Lucas's pk fire knocks enemies away.
ness's pk thunder flies faster/pkt2 has 1 hit with high knock, Lucas's pk thunder is slower/pkt2 has multiple hitboxes.
ness's psi magnet cant hurt people, Lucas's psi magnet can hurt people (iirc it cant absorb things from the back)
pk flash is terrible slow, aaand pk freeze obviously flies further.. blah blah blah... yeah...

the stick/bat and headbutt are kinda the same besides speed and knock back. the a-combo is kinda styled like other characters like luigi, Mario, Yoshi, sonic, squirtle ect..

I understand all of this post. Even though they have very different fuctions, they are still have "similar" specials. Luigi's missile/tornado is no where near similar to Mario's cape/fludd. However Ness and Lucas's special moves are similar, that is all i'm saying. As an excellent example, look at Project Melee Lucas. His Neutral B is completely different and his Side B "looks" different.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
So basically, you just want them to look different, even if they're already completely different in function? That shouldn't be too hard. Animations are really easy to change.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So basically, you just want them to look different, even if they're already completely different in function? That shouldn't be too hard. Animations are really easy to change.

Not entirely, but it would help.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Can Final Smashes be changed? Since every Star Fox character has the exact same Final Smash. Q_Q

I'll make an attempt at Ganon even though I don't have good experience with Zelda games. So sorry in advance if it doesn't capture his "essence".

Neutral Special - Dark Blast: Raises his hand and a explosion of darkness comes out of it, it's slow, poweful, and has decent range. I know it sounds similar to his punch, he doesn't move foward with it or anything... I can't explain it good. >_<

Side Special - Combo attack with his sword, kinda like how Marth works but totally different in animation, much slowe, more powerful with great knockback, and not nearly as many combos, has a dark auroa around, and a tiny bit easier to peform.

Down Special - Twilight Shift; He shifts into Twilight for a short time (like 15-30 seconds?) and can posses another character for that short period. After first use it need to fully charge up again before you can use it a aditional time.

Down Up - Twilight Teleport - Creates a Twilight portal for him to teleport a short distance.

I'm figuring he is going to be his Twilight model so thats what I tried to go for, sorry if it is sucky. >_<

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Can Final Smashes be changed? Since every Star Fox character has the exact same Final Smash. Q_Q

I'll make an attempt at Ganon even though I don't have good experience with Zelda games. So sorry in advance if it doesn't capture his "essence".

Neutral Special - Dark Blast: Raises his hand and a explosion of darkness comes out of it, it's slow, poweful, and has decent range. I know it sounds similar to his punch, he doesn't move foward with it or anything... I can't explain it good. >_<

Side Special - Combo attack with his sword, kinda like how Marth works but totally different in animation, much slowe, more powerful with great knockback, and not nearly as many combos, has a dark auroa around, and a tiny bit easier to peform.

Down Special - Twilight Shift; He shifts into Twilight for a short time (like 15-30 seconds?) and can posses another character for that short period. After first use it need to fully charge up again before you can use it a aditional time.

Down Up - Twilight Teleport - Creates a Twilight portal for him to teleport a short distance.

I'm figuring he is going to be his Twilight model so thats what I tried to go for, sorry if it is sucky. >_<
Those are actually some pretty clever and good ideas. I'd like to see Ganondorf with these moves. (Except for maybe the possesion thing) You make a good point on the Starfox character Final Smashes too, there are a few differences, but they're basically the Final Smash's equivalent to character clones. Falco should use an Arwing for his Final Smash in the next game.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Those are actually some pretty clever and good ideas. I'd like to see Ganondorf with these moves. (Except for maybe the possesion thing) You make a good point on the Starfox character Final Smashes too, there are a few differences, but they're basically the Final Smash's equivalent to character clones. Falco should use an Arwing for his Final Smash in the next game.
Yea I agree it sounds OP as crazy, cause You could litterally just suicide those characters, but the only other idea I had was him turning into a smaller version of his Boar form and then that getting it's own moveset, like how Zelda/Shiek work... That would have probably been better to use actually and less OP. XD Oh well, I second guessed myself on that. :upsidedown:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yea I agree it sounds OP as crazy, cause You could litterally just suicide those characters, but the only other idea I had was him turning into a smaller version of his Boar form and then that getting it's own moveset, like how Zelda/Shiek work... That would have probably been better to use actually and less OP. XD Oh well, I second guessed myself on that. :upsidedown:
Well you could make it so that suiciding while in possesion of a character counts negatively towards Ganondorf's score/lives.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well you could make it so that suiciding while in possesion of a character counts negatively towards Ganondorf's score/lives.
Ohhhh that's a good idea, espically since Ganondorf will technically be inside that person on not visible on the stage, not sur eif this is accurate interms of Twilight Princess but it does make it less OP but also more redundant in 1 V 1 battles. But still a good idea!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
:4lucina:
Neutral Special: Becomes thrusting assault.
Up Special: Galeforce, if it hits an opponent can be used again.
Side: Astra: Like Dancing Blade, but with five hits.
Down: Counter
Final Smash: Pair Up, with F!Morgan

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
Give Dark Pit some different weapons. Can't really be that hard. If my knowledge of Kid Icarus was better, I'd give some ideas.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Falco

nB -> Laser is now a "bullet" much smaller and quicker, can be spammed like fox's lasers but they would only go about 1/3 FD and have no hitstun - or you can hold B to increase the size, speed and range as it travels, allowing it to go about 3/4 FD

>B -> Now a leaping "barrel roll" that pops falco slightly up if it collides with an opponent, allowing an aerial follow up of some kind

^B -> Now a third tremendous leap that creates a large gust of wind downwards (or the the sides if used while grounded) and momentarily turns falco into a hitbox

vB -> Now a cloaking device. A blue light on falco's belt will begin to flash when it's ready (every 10 seconds or so). It operates like a counter move, falco becomes briefly semi-invisible, then has a long cooldown animation (cooldown is negated if move works). When struck, the opponent is stunned instead of damaged or knocked away. Doesn't consume charge if it successfully avoids a projectile

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I honestly would have just given Lucina the Mii Swordfighter's moveset.

And given Wolf the Mii Gunner's moveset, but more sinister-feeling like Brawl kinda was.

Then we'd just have the Mii Brawler, which I think is sufficient for the Miis.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I honestly would have just given Lucina the Mii Swordfighter's moveset.

And given Wolf the Mii Gunner's moveset, but more sinister-feeling like Brawl kinda was.

Then we'd just have the Mii Brawler, which I think is sufficient for the Miis.
Or, you know, make an actual Mii character based on the actual Mii series that could easily incorporate the tons of things Miis have used from Sports Gear to goddamn magic? I'm starting to feel like this would've been a much better choice.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Or, you know, make an actual Mii character based on the actual Mii series that could easily incorporate the tons of things Miis have used from Sports Gear to goddamn magic? I'm starting to feel like this would've been a much better choice.
This also makes sens . Mii should have had Villager's bowling ball attack

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I guess the logic was focusing on the customization aspect rather than the source material. The generic movesets lend themselves more easily toward just putting whoever you want into the game.

Anyways, all I want is Toon Link having a Skull Hammer fsmash and Grappling Hook grab.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I can't go too in depth since I don't have enough knowledge about WW and Twiilight Princess. But I think Ganondorf needs his own moveset. One that is much more Dark Magic based. No Falcon punching!

Toon Link needs to use weapons from WW! Not to mention a different final smash wouldn't hurt?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
As mentioned before....
Dark Pit should utilize different weapons then Pit does. (Besides the Silver Bow and Electroshock...)
The Dark Pit Staff should have been his Down B....

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Dark Pit should have had Angel Ring as Side-B and Mirror of Truth as Down-B (functionally identical to Pit's old Mirror Shield).

That way, he wouldn't have been as hated.

Top Bottom