• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lady Calista for SSB4 Support Thread

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Lady Calista doesn't need a knight!

I didn't notice any support threads for any of the characters from The Last Story, so I hope it's alright if I make one. >A>()

Candidate's name: Lady Calista/Kanan, Princess of the House of Arganan
Game: The Last Story (Nintendo Wii, 2011 JP, 2012 IN)

Who is she?
She is the sole heir to the official rulers of Lazulis Island, the House of Arganan. She lost her parents when she was young, but she was old enough to remember them.
Her uncle, Count Arganan, is the current ruler of Lazulis Castle, and under his own decree Calista finds herself a prisoner in her own home.
Calista dreams of someday escaping her life, and leaving the castle to travel and explore the world.

- Instruction Manual

Calista (known as Kanan in the Japanese version) is the second-protagonist, deuteragonist, and love-interest in The Last Story. She is, for the most part, polite and serious, possessing a strong sense of justice and a deep-seeded hatred of the aristocracy. She does show a cheerful and even flirtatious side to herself when away from her royal duties and becomes quick friends with the rest of the cast, especially the main protagonist, Zael. She is also said to be smart, intuitive, and genre-savvy, knowing her weakness as a Princess-Who-Knows-Nothing-Outside-the-Castle and as a Royal-Who-Can't-Do-Nothing.

Well it may sound like I'm trying to sell her positive traits rather thickly, she was designed to be a deconstruction of the common Mary Sue-ish female characters found in these types of games, with these traits making her life worse in some way (at least until the end of the game).

In battle, Calista mainly focuses on offensive, Light-elemental spells and placing barriers on the party, seconding in Healing Spells. She can wield either Swords or Daggers and is playable in the multiplayer mode (where she can also wield a crossbow with Light Elemental Arrows). Her strongest spell (or Spirit Attack) is Ancient Barrier, which grants Zael a barrier that heals and protects him and repels monsters. He can then "Diffuse" this barrier to spread it to the rest of the party.

Why her?
When the Fighter Ballot Early Results chart came out, I was surprised to see Zael on it. He was from one of the last few games to come out on the Wii. At first I almost thought to vote for him, seeing as he is the game's protagonist and has the most offensive skills to work with . But then I thought, how would be differ from the Fire Emblem characters? He has a Counter and Vertical Slash skill. But then I thought, what about Calista? She is the deuteragonist and an offensive mage with a serious, noble disposition and the occasional slip of a cheerful-side.

Other Reasons
-With a roster of 53 characters (including the 3 different Mii Fighters), there are only 11 playable, female characters: 4 of which have male-costumes (Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Wendy), which 3 of those are defaulted as male (Robin, Villager, and Wendy), 1 is a clone (Lucina), and 2 who is the same character (Samus and Zero-Suit Samus). (Jigglypuff is not included in this list because the game uses gender-neutral pronouns when describing it and the species lacks gender-differences)
-She could be the first female sword/blade-user who isn't a clone (Lucina) or alternate costume (Robin).
-Out of a roster of 53, only 2 characters are said to be actual magic-users (Robin and Zelda). (Palutena uses divine power, Ganondorf uses the power of darkness, Ness and Lucas use PK techniques, etc)

Gameplay Idea/Suggestion
In The Last Story, Calista is a mage character that uses Light-Attributed spells. Both of her offensive spells, Holy and Shining, have an additional effect of adding barriers to the party when they're "Diffused". Diffusion occurs when Zael uses one-of-two skills over one of Calista's. Calista's Forward and Up Special have Zael use one of these abilities, Vertical Slash or Gale, and diffuse her spells, granter her defensive buffs. Three of her specials revolve around placing magical circles for a short period of time, making Calista a bit of a control character.

Height: Around Peach's
Weight: Around Peach and Marth/Lucina
Run Speed: Around Dr. Mario and Zelda
Jump: Around Marth/Lucina and Zelda
Crawl: No
Wall Jump: No

Logo Idea

A silhouette version of the game's logo.

Potential Specials

Neutral
Holy: Default. Sends out a small burst of light. The player can hold B to control where the burst happens around Calista but she cannot move while doing so. When used on a Diffusing skill, it will grant Calista a buff against projectiles for a short time, only taking 2/3 the damage from them and an increased resistance to any flinching effect they might have (Charged projectiles can still flinch at higher charges). If Calista has a buff from any of her other specials on her, this buff will replace it.

Holy Light: Custom 1. Releases a big burst of light around Callista, making her invulnerable for 1 second and damages foes that come in contact with the burst. Used instantly and cannot be held. Can be diffused. If Calista has a buff from any of her other specials on her, this buff will replace it.

Flare Bomb: Custom 2. Callista places a Flare Bomb below her. If used on the ground, it will act like a mine, damaging and launching enemies. If used in the air, it will explode when it comes in contact with an enemy/item/surface, damaging anyone caught in the explosion. Cannot be diffused.

Forward
Vertical Slash: Default. Calista summons one of Zael's Magic Circles in an area. After 5 seconds, Zael will appear in the area and slash downward at anyone standing in the center of the circle. The player can use Forward + B a second time to make this Zael attack immediately. There can only be one Vertical Slash up at a time. Can diffuse Calista's Neutral and Down Specials.

Gathering: Custom 1. Calista summons Zael to block an attack in front of her. When used successfully to block an attack, Calista's Walk/Dash Speed and Attack/Special Speed will increase for a short time. This move cannot diffuse Holy or Shining. If Calista has a buff from any of her other specials on her, this buff will replace it.

Shadow Bind: Custom 2. Summons Syrenne, who will slash at any enemy in front of Calista, stunning them. Stun lasts longer with the more damage the enemies have. Cannot diffuse.

Up
Gale: Default. Zael casts Gale on Calista, creating a whirlwind for 5 seconds that launches her and foes upward, damaging any foes that touch it (but not flinching them). If this is used while a Vertical Slash circle is up, the Vertical Slash circle will disappear. Can diffuse Calista's Neutral and Down Specials.

Reversing Gale: Custom 1. Zael places a whirlwind around Calista, sending her upward and then causing her to float downward for up to 5 seconds. Any enemy that hits this whirlwind will be spun around (but not damaged) and any projectile will be reflected. This effect can be canceled by pressing down twice. Can diffuse Calista's Neutral and Down Specials.

Accelerate: Custom 2. Zael uses Accelerate, which buffs Calista's Movement and Attack Speed and Increase her jump length but decrease the strength of her Neutral and Down Special for a few seconds. If Calista has a buff from any of her other specials on her, this buff will replace it. Cannot diffuse Calista's Neutral or Down Specials.

Down
Shining: Default. Calista places a holy light where she was when cast for 4 seconds, damaging any enemy that stands in it (but doesn't make them flinch). When used on a Diffusing skill, it will grant Calista a buff against Melee attacks, only taking 2/3 of the damage from them. If Calista has a buff from any of her other specials on her, this buff will replace it.

Shining Light: Custom 1. Calista releases a burst of holy light around her, damaging and launching enemies that are hit. Can be charge for increased damage and launch but Calista cannot move or dodge while charging. Can be diffused. If Calista has a buff from any of her other specials on her, this buff will replace it.

Recover: Custom 2. Calista releases a burst of holy light around her that heals her for a small amount of damage. Gets weaker if used consecutively with in a 3 second span. Cannot be diffused.

Final Smash
Ancient Shield & Mitra: Calista casts her Spirit Ability, Ancient Shield, which will make her immune to damage and summons the Guardian Beast, Mitra, who will attack any enemy, off screen, every time Calista successfully hits or grabs an enemy.

Attacks
Due to the nature of weapons in The Last Story, most of Calista's attacks would consist of using either a sword or a dagger. What weapon she used to attack will affect her specials, with her dagger giving Holy and Shining a small damage boost, while her sword give Gale and Vertical Slash a small damage boost. She also possess a crossbow and a Daze Bomb which don't affect her. Model-wise, the dagger would be based on the Arganan Dagger, the sword on the Rapier, and crossbow on the Standard Crossbow from the game.

Ground

Jab: A three hit-combo. Slashes twice with a dagger, then a third time with a sword.
Forward: A horizontal slash with her sword.
Up: Shoots upward with her crossbow.
Down: Quickly crouches and slashes horizontally with her dagger.
Dash: Thrusts forward with her sword.

Smashes
Forward: Thrusts forward with her sword. Longer charges will send her a little forward.
Up: Slashes upward with her dagger, three times.
Down: Calista uses a Daze Bomb. It won't damage enemies but will stun them. Longer charges will stun enemies longer.

Aerial
Neutral: Uses a quick burst of light around her.
Forward: Slashes downward with her sword.
Backward: Horizontally slashes with her dagger, twice.
Up: Delivers two slashes, upward, with her dagger.
Down: Shoots an arrow from her crossbow downward.

Grabs
Forward: Slaps the enemy, sending them forward and downward.
Backward: Pushes enemy backwards and shoots them with her crossbow.
Up: Blast enemy upward with a burst of light. Damages any other enemy caught in the light.
Down: Slams enemy to the ground and stomps on them, send them upward.

Outfits

This is the armor she is wearing when you first meet her.

This is the armor she comes with when you get her a second time (trying to avoid spoilers).

Stage Ideas

The Tower of Trails
In the days of old, this tower was used to test the metal of all Knights-in-training before becoming full-fledged Knights. However, the dangers that lurk inside the tower lead to the deaths of many a squire, leading to its removal as a requirement of knight-hood.
In recent years only two have ventured in to test themselves: Sir Therius and Zael.

This is one of the dungeons in The Last Story. In it, Zael goes through the gauntlet at General Asthar's behest. Whenever you go through this dungeon, you ONLY ever play as Zael.

The Tower has five floors, each ready to test the fighters. The stage will start on the First Floor and go down a floor every forty seconds. Fighters will gain buffs after completing certain goals for each floor. After the Fifth Floor, it will start back up at the first (this is a repeatable dungeon in the Last Story).

The First Floor: Defense
Designed to test a knight's defense, archers will pelt smashers from across a gorge every ten seconds. Fighters can take cover behind pillars. Additionally, a mage will appear somewhere on the stage. The player that activates him (via touch) will receive a Defense Buff during the next room IF they don't get KOed before.
This floor is a long, flat bridge that extends to both sides of the screen with no way of KOing downward, just upward and from the sides. The pillars used to hide from the archers are in the background.

The Second Floor: Strength
Designed to test a knight's strength, five enemies will swarm the stage. The fighter who defeats the most will receive an Attack buff during the next floor IF they don't get KOed before then.
This floor is a large floating platform with a small platform off above each end. Enemies will spawn on the larger platform and cannot jump.

The Third Floor: Wisdom
Designed to test a knight's wisdom. The fighter(s) who don't get KOed on this floor will recover a small amount of damage on the next floor.
This floor is a platform that extends to both sides of the screen. Additionally, four enemies are on this stage.

The Fourth Floor: Camaraderie
Designed to test a knight's skill with allies. An ally will spawn at the beginning of the match and be allied with a random player. If that player is defeated, the ally will switch to the one who defeated them. The player who has the ally last will receive a Speed Buff during the next room. The ally can be hit and gets KOed after a certain amount of damage. If this happens, no one get the buff.
This floor is a medium-sized, floating platform with two smaller, floating platforms, one at each end. One floats about the stage, while the other floats just below.

The Fifth Floor: Courage
Designed to test a knight's courage, fighters will have to face a real knight, General Asthar of the Lazulis Knights. He will act as a boss. The player that lands the finishing blow on him will receive a Defense buff during the next floor IF they aren't KOed before then. If the General isn't defeated by the time the level changes, no one will receive the buff and his damage will reset.
This floor is a small-sized, floating platform with a bottom that extends to the bottom of the screen. There are two floating platforms in the middle. General Asthar always spawns in the middle of the main platform in the beginning of this floor and can jump.

Music

Supporters
P PreedReve (That's Me :D )
BradLeeTee BradLeeTee
Wolfie557 Wolfie557
Jave Jave
@KingBro1
S SSBCandidates

If you have any suggestions, ideas, critiques, or want to leave support, comment down below.
Thank you for your time.

Stamp

Last edited:

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
It's a sad thing that u and me are one of the only one's here who have even heard of the Last Story so finding supporters won't be as easy as it was for K.Rool. It'd definitely be weird to have her without Zael but u have a point, he'd be Smash's tenth swordfighter plus he's basically a Shulk knock off. Well we can have some hope, Sakurai at least acknowledged the Last Story enough to put them in as trophies

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
It's a sad thing that u and me are one of the only one's here who have even heard of the Last Story so finding supporters won't be as easy as it was for K.Rool. It'd definitely be weird to have her without Zael but u have a point, he'd be Smash's tenth swordfighter plus he's basically a Shulk knock off. Well we can have some hope, Sakurai at least acknowledged the Last Story enough to put them in as trophies
If only they released it for the Wii earlier and not around the same time the Wii U was coming out, then I think it would have gotten more notoriety, the same with Pandora's Tower. :B

As for Zael vs Calista, if they did put Zael in, I would image his specials would be: Power Strike (which would power his attacks), Gale as an aerial recover, Guard Counter or Gathering (both would act like counters though), and I have no clue for a forward special. :B

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
Also, added attacks. :D
Looking good, read thru the attacks and they all seem quite realistic. But Zael really isnt important right now, he'll be next in line if by that slim chance I'm praying on, Calista makes it in. As it is the Last Story fanbase is very very small, we definitely have the release date and lack of advertising to thank for that because the game wasn't even bad. Well if they did well enough to make a sequel for the Wii U I could see it becoming quite popular, who knows maybe E3 will surprise us this year

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Yes!!! I think a Last Story rep should really happen, like Shulk. Hell, a Last Story 2 as well. (Same for Pandora's Tower).

Add me to supporters list.(which you should add). I think Calista would make a great character and this thread has a AMAZING start in terms of the OP.

Last edited:

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
There, I made a banner and a stamp, if anyone wants to show their support. >w>()

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
You know what? Count me in. This is a character I think would really work since I feel TLS deserves a rep and I like her better than Zael.

I added a vote for her in the ballot too.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
You know what? Count me in. This is a character I think would really work since I feel TLS deserves a rep and I like her better than Zael.

I added a vote for her in the ballot too.
Thank you! :D
Zael would be too much of a Shulk-clone, both in moveset and in personality. I even thought their voice actors were the same person until I googled it. :B

D

Deleted member

I voted for Zael, but I'd be equally content with Calista being playable and Zael getting the Chrom treatment. You can add me to the list of supporters as well.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I, personally, think Zael would be a better rep. I think Calista would work really well as his side b, playing in the sidelines a la pokemon trainer and charging up a light spell. She charges faster while zeal is using the gathering (neutral b) and the attack leaves behind a field that gives Zael better damage but can be diffused with Gale (up b) to give him a shield that reduces damage, knock back, and reflects projectiles.

This way the two of them as a team really play like they do in the game, complex interactions and everything.

Shameless plug alert: If you want a strong, relevant female character who has a unique move set using magic, click my sig to get to a thread for Agnes (from Final Fantasy/Bravely series).

Last edited:

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
I, personally, think Zael would be a better rep. I think Calista would work really well as his side b, playing in the sidelines a la pokemon trainer and charging up a light spell. She charges faster while zeal is using the gathering (neutral b) and the attack leaves behind a field that gives Zael better damage but can be diffused with Gale (up b) to give him a shield that reduces damage, knock back, and reflects projectiles.

This way the two of them as a team really play like they do in the game, complex interactions and everything.

Shameless plug alert: If you want a strong, relevant female character who has a unique move set using magic, click my sig to get to a thread for Agnes (from Final Fantasy/Bravely series).
For me, Zael just seems too much like Shulk, character-wise and maybe a little combat-wise. Both are predominantly sword-users (Zael can equip daggers in the game but there isn't any point because daggers boost magic), have counter abilities, and moves that effect their stats (Zael gets Power Strike and Accelerate).
Not to mention, like you said, having a female character with a unique moveset composed of magic, weapons, and an alley is a good thing.

As for the plug-in, I don't mind, Anges was one of my first votes on the ballot.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
For me, Zael just seems too much like Shulk, character-wise and maybe a little combat-wise. Both are predominantly sword-users (Zael can equip daggers in the game but there isn't any point because daggers boost magic), have counter abilities, and moves that effect their stats (Zael gets Power Strike and Accelerate).
Not to mention, like you said, having a female character with a unique moveset composed of magic, weapons, and an alley is a good thing.

As for the plug-in, I don't mind, Anges was one of my first votes on the ballot.
..You only get one vote per machine. Your latest one rewrites all others.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
..You only get one vote per machine. Your latest one rewrites all others.
Has that been officially stated? And does that apply to using other countries' ballots? Personally, I think that's kind of silly, seeing as we have till October and almost everyone who would want to place a ballot would do so by the end of the first month.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Added custom moves.
If anyone want to post their own moveset ideas, I'll post them above. :D

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
I personally prefer Seyrenne should have higher priority over Calista since she was the "life" of the party. Also, a dual-wielder is more exciting to have, but it would be nice if both of them got in.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
I personally prefer Seyrenne should have higher priority over Calista since she was the "life" of the party. Also, a dual-wielder is more exciting to have, but it would be nice if both of them got in.
I dunno, she kind of has almost zero plot relevance and only four skills in the game. I think there are better options for a dual-wielder in the Nintendo-verse.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
So, I heard some interesting news: Pandora's Tower has been confirmed to be released on the Wii U's eShop in Japan, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand later this year. This could mean that a Last Story port for the Wii U isn't too far away...

HOWEVER, there has been no confirmation of a North American release for Pandora's Tower yet, due to it being published by XSeed in NA, versus being published by Nintendo like in JP, EU, and AU.

I have sent them an ask about a North American release of both games on their tumblr account. Hopefully, they will respond.

IF you are interested in seeing either of these games brought to the Wii U eShop, please send XSeed messages about it.
XSeed's Facebook
XSeed's Tumblr
XSeed's Twitter

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
For what I understand, the American version of Pandora's Tower has a major game-breaking glitch. They're probably waiting until that gets sorted out before re-releasing it on Wii U VC.

Top Bottom