• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's New Hammer

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
So I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet. Kirby's Hammer has been changed in Brawl when Kirby uses it in the air. I noticed this probably the first time I watched through the Subspace Emissary footage from E4A, but I figured someone would have noticed and mentioned it here.

I made a short comparison video, which you can view here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZXI8nZAjmw

While I'm sure this move may open up new possibilities for Kirby, it looks slow (although not as slow as the hammer was on the ground in Melee) and powerful. Compared to the weak yet fast hammer in midair, which could sort of be used for combos, from Melee, I'm not so sure this is a good change in Kirby's moveset. We'll just have to wait and see.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
Too bad it's on a character that won't flinch, so knockback is undeterminable, but I see it as improved

shinzou

Smash Cadet
I hope the spinning hammer is there as well, as it was really good for building combos...

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
One thing of interest, in one of the two 2006 trailers Kirby uses his old aerial hammer attack from melee. 2 different air hammer attacks possibly?

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing there will be a way to do both. Like press N-air repeatedly for the spin, as opposed to just pressing it once.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
So I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet. Kirby's Hammer has been changed in Brawl when Kirby uses it in the air. I noticed this probably the first time I watched through the Subspace Emissary footage from E4A, but I figured someone would have noticed and mentioned it here.

I made a short comparison video, which you can view here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZXI8nZAjmw

While I'm sure this move may open up new possibilities for Kirby, it looks slow (although not as slow as the hammer was on the ground in Melee) and powerful. Compared to the weak yet fast hammer in midair, which could sort of be used for combos, from Melee, I'm not so sure this is a good change in Kirby's moveset. We'll just have to wait and see.
Actually this has been mentioned in a number of threads (for example: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121534)

It's also not the only change to the pink puff ball, look at the Kirby forums for info on his new dash attack as well

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
It looks more usefull in the air. but this is a rather pointless topic. i think most people who saw that video spoted that.

shinzou

Smash Cadet
do you think you'd be able to charge it like in the games. Cause I thought I saw a fireball effect when he swung his hammer, if u look carefully.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
It Originated from Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dash Y.

In the game you couldn't do the horizontal in the air, but Brawl bended some rules.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I like this aerial hammer much better. Kirby never swung it that way in his games, but the way he uses it in his games would be pretty broken in Smash (large, disjointed hitbox). I'd like to see him able to charge his ground hammer, especially if it takes after the Amazing Mirror hammer. :)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
They better have that fire hammer, make him charge for power. But nooo, King DeDeDe stole that idea.

Yoshi330

Smash Rookie
I would suggest that the hammer would be Kirby's side smash, rather than side B. His midair hammer could be his side arial attack.

His side B can be something like his Laser or Beam attacks; he can use a useful projectile.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
If you're running with the hammer and hold B, maybe he'll do a horizontal on the ground and then throw his hammer! Strongest attack in Super Stars! (I think I play that too much :X)

Possibly a recovering technique!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Dedede's inclusion is probably a reason for the change. Perhaps its his Nair move.

Top Bottom