• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

kirby

IceCleaners

Smash Cadet
after playing with Jpuff for a while, i have come to the conclusion, kirby is just about the exact same as jpuff. im thinking about just using kirby

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Thats free to your desision, but Id disagree with the statement "Kirby is just about the exact same as jpuff". As a matter of fact I think they are completely different.
Jigglypuff has:
6 jumps + Rising pounds
Agile movements in the air
Rest
Excellent air attacks(I.E bair uair)
Oh did i mention Jigglypuff has Rest?

While kirby has none of the above aside from the 6 jumps..
He has Final Cuttter
Swallow
3 throws which are kirbycides
A meteor spike
A un-interuptable Rock move which can easily be grabed out of.

You tell me who is the better character =\ I couldn't really care which character you use.

Ame$

Smash Apprentice
Jiggs has a great fair . Kirby not .
Jiggs has a great bair . Kirby not .
Jiggs has a great uair . Kirby not .

Jiggs has rest . What has Kirby ?

What i want to say : Jiggs > Kirby

Have a nice day .

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
Jiggs has a great fair . Kirby not .
Jiggs has a great bair . Kirby not .
Jiggs has a great uair . Kirby not .

Jiggs has rest . What has Kirby ?

What i want to say : Jiggs > Kirby

Have a nice day .
Kirby has an awesome bair and uair. and kirby can kirbicide cancel.
Good day sir. I like puff and kirby, i use them both.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
after playing with Jpuff for a while, i have come to the conclusion, kirby is just about the exact same as jpuff. im thinking about just using kirby
I concur. Similarities between the two include they are pink, have multiple jumps and funny taunts. Similarities also end there.

List of things Jigglypuff has on Kirby

Jigglypuff's got so much on Kirby it's ridiculous (then again everyone has something on Kirby). Jiggly's first of several major differences (albeit this one's more subtle than the others) is that Jiggs's aerial movement trades vertical height for horizontal distance and mobility. That is huge because it allows Jiggs a lot more air time (which is where Jiggly wants to be) than Kirby, with a lot more movement freedom, which consequently allows more hits, versatility, etc.

Jigglypuff's f-air is basically a sex kick. It also can combo into itself depending on how you set it up correctly. Kirby's f-air isn't horrid but it's definitely not nearly as good... and once again Jiggly can use her f-air with her big aerial mobility. Kirby can't because, well, he's not that mobile in the air.

Jigglypuff's b-air > Kirby's b-air, just because you can string more of them together. Kirby's stays out longer, I guess, but combo ability and the whole "you can't be shield grabbed if you space it right" thing beats that whole point out (that and Jiggs doesn't use her b-air as a sex-kick since she has her f-air and her n-air to a lesser extent for those purposes).

Jigglypuff's u-air is better than Kirby's u-air although they do different things... but having said that it's still better. Same thing goes for the n-air.

Jigglypuff's recovery is at least thirty thousand times better than Kirby's.

Jigglypuff has good aerial priority.

Jigglypuff has more (read: some) actual good matchups mixed in with crappy ones whereas Kirby is at a disadvantage against basically everyone but Bowser, Mewtwo and Pichu (and even so those are quite debateable; particularly Pichu and Bowser).

Kirby's throws suck. I don't know how good Jiggly's are but it doesn't take much to have better throws than Kirby.

Jigglypuff has Rest and thus a kill move. Kirby doesn't have one of these practical kill moves. Jigglypuff's Rest means that it is entirely possible to get a KO outside of a WoP combo or at a ridiculous percentage. Kirby's kill moves include... the uber laggy hammer. Since nothing else in his arsenal has a remote chance of killing someone with good DI before 130% unless it's done while edgeguarding or something. And, as outlined above, Jiggly is better at that anyways.

List of Things Kirby has on Jigglypuff

Kirby's d-air is probably the only aerial Kirby has that's got a chance of being better than Jiggly's although even so it's pretty debateable... although Kirby's meteors and can be followed through if you do the d-air flip trick (bad name, useful tech) and it's kind of hard to follow through with Jiggly's d-air although not impossible. Maybe it's a toss up. I don't know. If Jiggly's turned out to be better I wouldn't be surprised.

Kirby's f-tilt and d-tilt are better than Jiggly's but Jiggly's u-tilt can learn into Rest at best (and probably a b-air or u-air minimally) whereas Kirby's u-tilt sometimes won't lead into anything at all and at best you'll get a u-air out of it. Having said that, the tilt argument is kind of small. Seeing how Jigglypuff isn't a ground based fighter anyways.

Kirby can Kirbycide.

Please note that Kirby's list of useful things over Jigglypuff is notably smaller and more situational and much more open to debate.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
kirbys throws are awesome. you can kirbycide with 3 of them and then swallocide, and dthrow owns when you tech chase. Jigglypuff also has better DI, infact the best in the game. Kirbys uair is sort of a kill move, upsmash and lag hammer. hammer is not that useable anyway on the ground.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
kirbys throws are awesome. you can kirbycide with 3 of them and then swallocide, and dthrow owns when you tech chase. Jigglypuff also has better DI, infact the best in the game. Kirbys uair is sort of a kill move, upsmash and lag hammer. hammer is not that useable anyway on the ground.
U-smash kills at like 130% with proper DI unless you're hitting Jigglypuff or something. Same goes for U-air, B-air, D-smash, F-smash and pretty much everything Kirby could consider a kill move. The hammer is the only exception to this and it is inheritly flawed because it is so ridiculously laggy; it is often written off as a ground move altogether because of how overwhelmingly slow it is. That's what I was getting at. Kirby doesn't have a flat-out "lol you're dead" move until about 130% whereas a bunch of characters (Jiggs included) don't have that issue. That's what I was getting at with regards to kill moves.

U-Throw to Kirbycide is fine, D-throw is okay (Kirby doesn't tech chase too well though; he's slow) and B-throw/F-throw can be broken so easily by anyone who can shake the sticks and mash buttons violently. I guess at higher percents you can Kirbycide with b-throw/f-throw safely but it's such a risk at low percentages meaning unless you put a stock on the table you won't get any low percent gimp KOs with them. Kirby still faces the issue that he doesn't have a way of killing someone efficiently outside of edgeguarding.

And, yeah, I missed Jigglypuff having the best DI in the game lol. I feel dumb. :lick:

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff has more (read: some) actual good matchups mixed in with crappy ones whereas Kirby is at a disadvantage against basically everyone but Bowser, Mewtwo and Pichu (and even so those are quite debateable; particularly Pichu and Bowser).
What about Kirby VS. Ganondorf? I thought there he was at an advantage...; Kirby's duck is so low that Ganon has a hard time hitting him with much of anything, and then he can effectively CC many of Ganon's moves... Seeing Ganon struggle to hit that flattened Kirby WDing around crouched (like a coin sliding across a table) would've been sad, if it wasn't so funny that Kirby could do that...

Outside of that matchup, but with the same principle in mind, would Kirby's lower duck count for anything? Jiggly's second lowest and dodge most things, so is there anything the #1 ducker could duck that the second ducker couldn't duck?

Regardless of how this turns out... I don't think I will take too strongly to learning Kirby competitively; if I must play a low tier very well, I shall pick up Bowser, for the sheer WTF factor mostly.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
What about Kirby VS. Ganondorf? I thought there he was at an advantage...; Kirby's duck is so low that Ganon has a hard time hitting him with much of anything, and then he can effectively CC many of Ganon's moves... Seeing Ganon struggle to hit that flattened Kirby WDing around crouched (like a coin sliding across a table) would've been sad, if it wasn't so funny that Kirby could do that...
Kirby's crouch does eliminate a lot of Ganon's gameplan but it's hard to consider Ganon at a disadvantage when Kirby can be killed at like 60% whereas Ganon lives well into 100. And Kirby's damage output is very, very small. Although Kirby can edgeguard Ganon's crappy recovery with his good edgeguard game. Then again, Ganon's aerials completely decimate Kirby's with about triple their priority and a ledge-hopped reverse-uair basically means death so whatever.

Having said that... I don't really think either character really destroys the other; unless the Ganon has never fought Kirby before. If they're unfamiliar and lose stocks trying to figure out how to fight Kirby well, yeah, Kirby's at an advantage but that's not Kirby acting up that's the Ganon player being dumb.
Outside of that matchup, but with the same principle in mind, would Kirby's lower duck count for anything? Jiggly's second lowest and dodge most things, so is there anything the #1 ducker could duck that the second ducker couldn't duck?
I'm pretty sure Jiggly's duck avoids the same grabs Kirby's does. And when they're crouching they can both be hit by SHLs and both avoid needles so... no... nothing really comes to mind. Unless I'm forgetting something huge which is entirely possible since it's 2:20 am.

Samochan

Smash Master
The only thing Kirby can do to ganondorf is like, crouch his jab and grab and dtilt him once... and that's about it. You cannot cc any of ganondorf's aerials for anything and kirby dies so ridiculously easily it's not funny, even on Pal. Uair ***** kirby like no other, kirby can't make a safe landing with ganondorf trying to uair him. >_> And if ganondorf gets a one grab in at certain %, kirby just dies. Falcon is a lot easier matchup cause his moves need more precision, especially the knee, which might be tough to land on a cc'ing kirby.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
if you switch to kirby, that's one less person someone has to worrya bout in a tournament

for your health

OneOutOfManyMore

Smash Rookie
Take it from somebody who mains Kirby. Jigglypuff is the better character. I live my pink little friend but he is lacking when it comes to power, reach and speed. Having none of those three is a really bad combination. Stick with Puff.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
kirby fights / moves vertically. jigglypuff fights / moves horizontally. more or less.
and quoted from probably the best kirby player krazykirbykid:
"Jigglypuff is kirby with real moves"

Dodger

Smash Ace
I pretty much agree with t!mmy about everything, except that mewtwo is Kirby's one good match up. I'm not certain that's true. Poor Kirby.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Jigglypuff is easily better. Only advantage Kirby has that Jigglypuff doesn't is grab range, ducking, and better neutral B move. In the matchups that Kirby can duck everything (Captain Falcon, Ganondorf), Jigglypuff does better in those matchups anyway. Jigglypuff is better at edgeguarding, which is Kirby's only good option against anything, aside from getting them up to 250% before anything can kill them.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
I pretty much agree with t!mmy about everything, except that mewtwo is Kirby's one good match up. I'm not certain that's true. Poor Kirby.
t!mmy hasn't posted in this thread. The big rant from hell was me.

domiNate said:
Don't forget that kirby's bair is practically the same as jiggly's fair. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
No, it really isn't. Kirby's b-air's hitbox extends behind him whereas Jiggs's extends in front of her. This makes approachs with b-air on Kirby's part a bit more awkward because shield-grab vulnerability becomes an issue unless you do something fancy like WD, turn around, full jump rising b-air or something; the result is that Kirby's b-air approaches (well, neither character is really approaching per se but w/e irrelevant tangent) are decidedly less clean. Jiggly's f-air doesn't have this issue and thus she has a lot more freedom in whether or not she gets fancy or not because - with proper spacing - she can't be shield grabbed out of it.

Approach issues aside, Kirby's b-air also doesn't combo into itself quite as nicely, nor does it benefit from insane aerial mobility (that Kirby doesn't have and Jiggs does).

Sliq

Smash Master
The only real advantage that Kriby has, which hasn't been stated yet, is that you may surpirse your opponent, because who plays kirby. Also, two of Kirby's suicide throws are easy to break out of, and the inhale suicide is hard to pull off, because if you miss, gg Kirby.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Its fun to get a Kirby to dthrow you, then not DI at all with Puff and rest them in the lag :p

Me14k

Smash Lord
if you switch to kirby, that's one less person someone has to worrya bout in a tournament

for your health

Exactly. There is a copy cat or a kirbstir video against mewtwoking. Watch it. Copy Cat and kirbstir are 2 of the best kirby...he gets 4 stocked.

DONT PICK UP KIRBY! if you had a good jigs, stick with it.

Samochan

Smash Master
Exactly. There is a copy cat or a kirbstir video against mewtwoking. Watch it. Copy Cat and kirbstir are 2 of the best kirby...he gets 4 stocked.

DONT PICK UP KIRBY! if you had a good jigs, stick with it.
Um, just when has Copy Cat been one of the best Kirby's? >_> And there is also no recent vids of kirbstir's kirby and I haven't been told he has been 4 stocked here... it was only Copy (who is not pro nor a player who's that amazing, sorry copycat) 4 stocked by Mew2king (pro, one of the best player in the whole world, plus a definitive kirby counter character). >_> I do not claim that kirby is a good character though, but get your facts straight before you comment. >_> And he can pick up kirby if he wants, it's not for you to decide which character he can play with. >_>

Me14k

Smash Lord
Um, just when has Copy Cat been one of the best Kirby's? >_> And there is also no recent vids of kirbstir's kirby and I haven't been told he has been 4 stocked here... it was only Copy (who is not pro nor a player who's that amazing, sorry copycat) 4 stocked by Mew2king (pro, one of the best player in the whole world, plus a definitive kirby counter character). >_> I do not claim that kirby is a good character though, but get your facts straight before you comment. >_> And he can pick up kirby if he wants, it's not for you to decide which character he can play with. >_>
I did not know copy cat wasnt considered a pro.

What i was trying to say was this... Looking at the top Kirby players, there isnt much 'ownage' while looking to jigs, there is a lot of awsome players, like King. M2 himself, has ability to own, look at taj (I know he doesnt use m2 in tournys, usually uses fox). I honestly think that kirby should be below m2 in tiers.

Im not trying to tell you who to pick either, just suggesting who not to use based on facts that kirby simply has little potential.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
From what I've heard before Kirby is currently the hardest character to win a tournament with.

Jigglypuff and Kirby are somewhat similer, just that kirby is the worse version of Jigglypuff.

But I do think that Kirby's taunt is a million times better than Jigglypuffs.

Top Bottom