• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby the Copy Cat - Copy Ability Discussion (OLD)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Kirby's signature move, Inhale, can be used in various ways in Super Smash Bros, with the biggest factor being that you can copy your opponents abilities! Mastering the different Copy Abilities will surely give you an edge while playing, so that's what this thread is for. Here, you can find information about the various Copy Abilities Kirby can receive in Super Smash Bros. Feel free to discuss about his variety of abilities, too!

I'll start writing up information soon~

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed a couple of abilities that may be good in some match ups:

DHD: this projectile is good for some serious mix up and can safely control the offstage.

Shulk: As I've said in another thread, Monado shield boosts kirby's survivabilty, which is good when Smash is out.

Pit/Pittooie: reflector aside, the Arrows come out at a decent speed and are controllable, so you can rack up damage and maybe leave them with a predictable up b.

Robin: Elthunder (or was it Arcthunder) has magnificent range and shield pressure. Thoron is also great for kills.

ZSS: As you may have noticed, this list has quite a few projectiles. ZSS's stun gun is particularly good. At the right range, you could possibly get a free hammer.

Pac Man: Eating him nets you a bizarre, but very useful projectile that's hard to read unless you've studied what each of them do.

Mega man's might be decent since I heard it can't be picked if sent out by Kirby.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Villager's fun to use against trees.

Robin's is pretty great for blocking recovery.

Rosalina's not as neat it takes time to aim right at the opponent unless you use it while she's off stage. Basically, any copy ability firing a projectile is very effective when done correctly. I'm not completely sure about D3's inhale.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Shulk, PacMan, Samus, Lucario, Robin, Palutena prob, DHD, and ZSS so far I feel are the best ones.

Killing ones like Pac's Key, Samus, Robin etc. I feel are really good cuz around 90% you can hit it out of fthrow if you jump fast enough.

I feel a lot of them, except the really bad ones are viable in some situations.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I haven't really tried copying many enemies.. It seems like Kirby still loses powers too easily :/

kalem333

Smash Rookie
Duck hunt is insanely good, making it possible to do some great set up and combos.

Monado arts is likewise one of the best, though obviously there's a learning curve. People seem to forget that all the powers come with a debuff as well.

PAC man is great to, the bell and galaga in particular comboing well with so fairs and dairs.

Bowser Jr gives s great KO move, since they cannon ball drops a bit at the end of it's distance.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Just a general tip, you can throw > run up and pick up Pac's 2nd to last item (dont know the names and too lazy to look them up lol). When you throw it again it stuns, so you can throw it straight up or down, sideways is still the same arc. Dont know how useful this is.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Just a general tip, you can throw > run up and pick up Pac's 2nd to last item (dont know the names and too lazy to look them up lol). When you throw it again it stuns, so you can throw it straight up or down, sideways is still the same arc. Dont know how useful this is.
Ooh, that's actually really useful. You could U-Throw and then throw the item to stun, then jump in and use a B-Air for a kill.

Sugawolf

Smash Rookie
You can definitely use some of the Monado's debuffs to your advantage.

Buster is amazing if you're at lower percents. A lot of Kirby's moves already have low knockback, which is why he's already pretty good at racking up damage especially against heavier characters. Buster makes our knockback even less prominent, so you can string together more moves faster and for more damage at low percentages. For example, you can easily combo u-tilt 5+ times if Shulk is at lower percentages. The downside of course is that Kirby's defense suffers, but that can be minimized by only using buster early in your stock.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I forgot which color is buster and which is smash. They're so close together that I have trouble telling which is which.

I've had a Shulk self destruct on me when he saw me shift to the Shield arts while approaching him in the air after a jump... He just ran off the stage to get away and end the match. This was after I destroyed him on his first stock. I was like "huh?" I guess he was intimidated, or he didn't want to deal with a Kirby who could tank any hits he could dish out. I believe I was already at around 90% damage at that point too.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
B-Throw to B-Air works with "Buster" until 20% on Shulk - if used at 20%, it'll get him up to 46%. U-Tilt can string around five times before he can get out, as said before.

Copy (10%) to U-Tilt (6%) then to B-Throw to B-Air can get you a clean 43%.

To get easy kills, try using F-Air while he's coming back to the stage with "Smash" - pretty easily gets kills.

EDIT:

Just tested - Hyper Rollout works with Kirby!

EDIT2:

Kirby can cancel all landing lag while using Shulk's powers. Tested, and it works perfectly.

http://smashboards.com/threads/new-shulk-advanced-technique-aerial-landing-lag-cancel.371699/

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
It's nice that Kirby is able to use some of the advanced techs of his victims when using their powers. Eventually, somebody should test all the neutrals B's he can copy.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It's nice that Kirby is able to use some of the advanced techs of his victims when using their powers. Eventually, somebody should test all the neutrals B's he can copy.
That's why I'm here, haha. I plan to get as much information about the Copy Ability as possible.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
That's why I'm here, haha. I plan to get as much information about the Copy Ability as possible.
Nice! Unrelated, somebody recommended we I exchanged friend codes with you so you can help me improve my Kirby.

Back to the character. It might be a good idea if we list all the attacks Kirby can duck under as well. I love ducking under the arc of Zss's dash attack when they spam it. I was consdiering starting a topic on it, but I keep losing the motivation, that and I can't make tables.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Nice! Unrelated, somebody recommended we I exchanged friend codes with you so you can help me improve my Kirby.

Back to the character. It might be a good idea if we list all the attacks Kirby can duck under as well. I love ducking under the arc of Zss's dash attack when they spam it. I was consdiering starting a topic on it, but I keep losing the motivation, that and I can't make tables.
Yeah, that's another thing I'm going to test. I can easily make the table.

I have two 3DS's with two copies, so I'll start testing it out.

EDIT:

Okay, keeping a character ducking while trying to attack with another 3DS is proving to be difficult, and I don't really want to do the coin trick as it could damage my Circle Pad, so would you like to help me? We could go in a lobby together online and you can test moves out on me.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Thats the best part about it, there are very few cases where Kirby cannot do the ATs associated with that Copy. But thats really just based on something character specific

ex. Kirby couldn't do the DJC Egg Lay's in Brawl cuz Kirby couldnt DJC his specials but Yoshi still could. (He cant in 4 tho lol)

But there are some things Kirby can do that the original cannot

ex. In Brawl Kirby's Falcon Punch could allow him to super jump pretty high if used right as you jump, Falcon didnt get this.

Once everything is figured out its amazing what Kirby will be able to do!

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Bowser's Fire Breath is really good for spacing him out when he's trying to rush you, and can punish some of his laggy moves from REALLY far away. Haven't tried Charizard's, but I expect it to be just as good.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
After messing around with Kirby vs. DHD, that can is incredible for Kirby. The fact that Kirby's throws have pretty long animations help tremendously, since you can control the can doing throw animations. Uthrowing into the explosion is especially cool looking.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
That's pretty cool, but does it have a practical use? Dark Pit's aarows are kinda slow compared to pits and also don't turn as sharply.. Kirby also looks like he pauses at a height that's in just enough range to be attacked?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Guys let's talk about the viability of Mewtwo's copy ability.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Assuming its shadowball and it acts basically the same as Melee, it will be pretty good.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Guys let's talk about the viability of Mewtwo's copy ability.
Shadow Ball travels INCREDIBLY fast compared to Aura Sphere, so it'll be amazing. It's a fast projectile that covers distance and space, putting pressure on the opponent, allowing for stage control, doing high damage, and great knockback.

Also, Kirby looks totally bad ass while he's using Mewtwo's Copy Ability.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well let's at least talk about how not-creepy MewtwoKirby will look in this game, compared to the horror show that was Melee. Just look at what they did with stuff like Jiggs hat, I'm sure he'll look more child-friendly :D

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I don't know. Did they change Kirby's Doc Mario look? Noo.. so you get Creepy MewtwoKirby instead =P. I wonder what Ridley Kirby will look like. I guess we will never know unless Sakurai decides to give Kirby his Nova Power in Smash 4.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Kirby can actually stall indefinitely by spamming arrows using Dark Pit's glitch.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Because Kirby's grab animations take so long, while you're playing against Duck Hunt, you can use the cans for a guaranteed follow-up. F-Throw and D-Throw seem to work the best.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
i dunno about you guys but im super fond of rob's laser on kirby. its probably my 2nd favorite one to get. also as far as non-projectile copies go, shieldbreaker might not actually be that bad? i dunno. i also like sonic's homing attack to the point where i converted from a devout yellow-kirby-only player to a blue kirby just so that i too could be a blue ball. also i feel fire breath/flamethrower is more effective against bowser/charizard than with them. and against villager, pocket obviously works way better for kirby than against him in that matchup. but yea monado arts is unquestionably my favorite one to get though.

against ness cfalc ganon and lil mac id usually rather just get them offstage after i inhale them cause theyre probably the easiest characters to get mileage against with that. and obviously their neutral b's arent super helpful on kirby. (ive never tried little macs actually though)

and then of course just moost projectiles are obviously good to have.

whats you guys's opinion on game and watch's bacon? i have a history of trouble against him (usually attributed to the imprecice nature of the 3ds controls and faulty shield buttons but ya know) but do you guys think it softens the matchup at all?
also opinions on copying shieldbreaker are appreciado. also opinions on wario chomp?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yes to everything. Wario's Bite is far safer than Kirby's Inhale, so if you get a chance to get it, do it. It's a great move.
Shieldbreaker is fantastic, especially since Inhale is hard to use against the pointy sword characters Marth and Lucina. Again, if you see a chance to get it, do it. Shieldbreaker is better on Kirby than it is on them, because that means he gets a free fully charged Hammer Flip, which kills at 40% and below.
G&W's Chef ability is good. Again, he has pointy boxes of priority, so Inhaling him will be hard, and it's not like you can gimp him very easily with it. Also, he cannot bucket the food from Chef, which he could do in Brawl. He can still bucket Final Cutter though. Chef is generally just a good ability, I think most G&W mains underestimate how good it is, and thus underuse it.

And that's about it, I agree with your other thoughts, although I think Sonic's Homing ability is most likely a piece of crap, once people get the timing down they'll be able to dodge it almost always. I guess it's a potential kill move, so take it if you're desperate enough. And the only good part about Little Mac's ability is that I believe it has superarmor during the attack, but it is way too telegraphed to be worth it, and Inhale can help gimp him because offstage is his weakness, so overall it's not worth taking.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
awesome, good to know im on the right track haha. ill try a bit more with homing attack see if it outprioritizes anything notable, otherwise you might be right. worst comes to worst im leaning towards being a wario main in this game anyway so i dont think sonic is gonna be too huge a problem for me. thank you for confirming all my observations/suspicions! :')

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I already posted this in the general moveset thread because I didn't notice this one, but it seems more appropriate to mention it here.

Robin's Thunder has an interesting property where if you charge it all the way to Thoron in midair, you get all of your midair jumps back. This can be a full Thunder > Thoron charge, or you can precharge Arcthunder and simply finish the charge after using your jumps. It doesn't matter.

When Kirby copies Robin, he gets to take advantage of this property. This lets him use a total of 10 midair jumps. Jump x5, charge Thoron, jump x5. If you make a point of keeping your charge at Arcthunder level (red sparks), then you can do it pretty quickly and not lose a lot of height. Or at least not as much as if you needed to charge from nothing.

It's worth noting it works for all 3 Thunder variants, although Kirby always uses the standard version whenever he copies someone so that's not terribly relevant to him.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Bowser Jr.'s hat is the best, who'da thunk that a bib would make such a badass bandana?
Also the copy ability is by far the most hilarious.

Man, I hate how Kirby can make some powers better because of his short height. like ya can't duck under his projectiles as they are literally halfway in the ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom