• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kentucky Smash Championship!!!! Parallel Worlds... - December 14th, 2013 - Louisville, Ky

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Parallel Worlds Kentucky Championship!

December 14th 2013
11AM -12AM

VenueParallel Worlds Gaming is a new game store that has recently opened. The last tournament here was a major success and with more and more faces joining our smash community it's only right Parallel Worlds be the host of the Kentucky Championship!

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ParallelWorldsGaming

Events-Melee Singles
-Brawl Singles
-Melee Doubles
-Project M Singles
-Brawl/Project M Doubles Vote will be taken

Cost -Venue: $4 ($2 if you bring a Wii/Cube/CRT TV)
-Melee Singles: 10$
-Brawl Singles: 10$
-Project Melee Singles: $6
-Melee Doubles: $12 per team
-Project M/Brawl Teams: $12 per team

Price increase is mainly this one event only for larger payouts as well as top 5 payouts!

Payout Single's only
1st- 52%
2nd- 25%
3rd- 12%
4th- 7%
5th-4%

Double's
1st-55%
2nd-30%
3rd-15%

Rulesets

MELEE
MBR Official Ruleset for 2012
http://smashboards.com/threads/tentative-mbr-official-ruleset-for-2012.313252/

BRAWL
Most Current MK legal ruleset. Suggestions Needed

Venue Time Frame
As of now, Brawl is going to begin as soon as the venue is set up (which is anticipated to be between 12:15 pm and 12:45 pm). If you plan to participate in Brawl, Please be at the venue by no later than 12:15 pm. Melee will be starting at around 2:30 pm. After Brawl, there will be time allotted for a food break for whoever chooses to do so. A few restaurants and a Kroger are located near the venue. Once Melee gets to Semis, Project M Singles will take place. Once Melee Singles is fully completed, Melee Doubles will run. Project M singles will take a back seat to Melee Doubles, and the bracket will be played as players are available. Later in the evening if all goes according to schedule, Project M Doubles will take place. The time frames for Brawl and Melee singles are pretty much set in stone but the rest of the schedule is subject to change depending on how many participants show up. Suggestions appreciated.

Stream
Parts of the event will be streamed at either...
http://www.twitch.tv/goodinkoj or http://www.twitch.tv/kellyk1035
I have invested money into enough equipment to set up a good quality stream this time around anyone wanting to commentate is more than welcome!

Let the hype begin!!!!!!!!

Official update11/25/13
order of events
1st. Brawl
2nd. PM Doubles
3rd/ Melee Doubles
4th/5th Melee/PM 3.0!
Depending on time I may halt grand finals and losers finals of all events until the end of the night so thateveryone will be able to contain the hype so that everyone can watch these events.

I strongly need everyone to dig up as many pm brawl melee and tv setups as possible my goal is to wrap the room with tvs on all sides and put the commentators table and stream tv where it always is but bring setups!!! If you play main pm bring pm, if you play brawl bring brawl, same with melee do not slack I need 20 setups or more 5 per wall and some in the middle of room. If this all happens we will have no time problems and if we dowe could be smsmashing into the am! But trying to get out of there by 12:30

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
First of all you should lower the price of singles to 6 dollars, 10 bucks is ridiculous and if we have another turnout like we did last time (or bigger, like I'm assuming) a singles bracket would easily have around 300$ which is ridiculous and unnecessary. The usual 6 dollar entry with 4 dollar bracket is fine, and more than enough to give a good payout for a monthly local. Also you should switch payout to top 4 at the very most, putting top 5 in would mean you have to split their payouts, between 2-3 people. Which is dumb lol. As well you could maybe make doubles 10$ per team to make it easier to count/manage but that's just my personal input.

Brawl is also gonna take at least 3 hours to get to finish.

My Schedule change would be Brawl to start at 12:30 and end at 3:30; and Melee to start at 3:30 and end at 5. Cause there's no way everyone will be there by 12:15 for signups, and the venue would have just finished being setup. It's always better to plan for people being late or things taking longer than expected.

Other than that I think it looks pretty good, standard as we had it before so it should be a success! Especially if we get the word out a lot more than we had for the last one. But then again we shouldn't get too carried away cause that back room can only hold about 10 more people than what we had last time so yeah lol.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Lol those are jordys post from last tourney slightly edited by me and I increased buy in because he said they would go up in future I will decrease them slightly for you pat!

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
I'd say $10 for entry fee is good tbh. Too low prize money will not attract out of state people

Mook7

Smash Rookie
A stream? Are we going to have someone commentate or anything? This is going to be so hyped.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
It's just a bad idea to be honest, no reason to have it that high. Not really gonna attract more players with a higher buy in, if anything it will just detour local players, or players from both brawl and melee from entering, which obviously isn't good

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Yea we always talk about stream and never do it but this time stream confirmed and ill edit prices tom pat your right gotta ask for all the money lol

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
It's just a bad idea to be honest, no reason to have it that high. Not really gonna attract more players with a higher buy in, if anything it will just detour local players, or players from both brawl and melee from entering, which obviously isn't good
Well, speaking of me personally I'd love more of an entry fee.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Yeah like I said, another reason to have the prices be 6 and 4 to the entry and venue respectively lol

RE:Edit: Wait no I was right in the first place geordies ******** nvm

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
5 entry. Completely free if FULL SET UP is brought. Legibly sized TV and wii/ cube. 10 for melee singles am brawl singles. 5 for pm singles and any doubles. That is my optimal picture of how this should be priced

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
I don't see anything wrong with 10$ entry. People aren't gonna not come over 5 more dollars

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Yeah like I said, another reason to have the 6 to 4 ratio on the entry and venue lol
Its a mess when u have to separate the venue portion from the tourney portion. It wouldn't be a problem if people payed in one dollar bills, but most people would rather just pay a 5 or a 10, and u can't cut money in a 6:4 ratio.. 6 dollar entree is garbage anyway for an event like melee or brawl which is likely to draw in upwards of 20 entrants

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
It's a mess when u have to seperate it though.. 6 dollar entree is garbage for melee or brawl which is likely to draw in upwards of 20 entrants
Oh that's right I forgot about that.

5 entry. Completely free if FULL SET UP is brought. Legibly sized TV and wii/ cube. 10 for melee singles am brawl singles. 5 for pm singles and any doubles. That is my optimal picture of how this should be priced
I think this is the best idea only reduce the entry to 5 dollars. half of the melee bracket last time was brawl players and if they have to pay 25 bucks for both that would suck ass. And that's without double in either event or PM singles so..

4+6+6 isn't an increment of $5
4+6 = 10 is what I was referring to, but for people that will be playing both singles you're right.

Mook7

Smash Rookie
My personal vote is for $10 entrance fee, at least for melee. Classic case of go big or go home. I need some incentive to practice.

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, here is what it would look like if I ran it:
Venue: $5(free if setup(although if the venue owner interjects then this is debatable)
Melee singles: $10
Brawl singles: $10
Doubles: $15-20 per team(debateable)

My reasoning is simple:
Let's say I drive $40 amount of gas. I come to this tourney and spend $5. 20 people show up, I win first(hypothetical). 20x5=100/2= 50. $45 spent, $50 earned back. Hence I have to win first to win $5. This is not attractive.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, here is what it would look like if I ran it:
Venue: $5(free if setup(although if the venue owner interjects then this is debatable)
Melee singles: $10
Brawl singles: $10
Doubles: $15-20 per team(debateable)

My reasoning is simple:
Let's say I drive $40 amount of gas. I come to this tourney and spend $5. 20 people show up, I win first(hypothetical). 20x5=100/2= 50. $45 spent, $50 earned back. Hence I have to win first to win $5. This is not attractive.
It's more like: 30x5= 150x.55= 45 spent, 82 earned.

Besides how does making the overall entry more expensive fix this? First of all you would have to win to break even which obviously isn't going to happen, second of all why does the money matter? If your only incentive for driving to a tourney if for the money then you're delusional and not playing for the right reason.

We should be trying to invite as many people as we can to play the game to learn, get better, and have fun. There are about 7 or 8 people that have a honest chance of even placing top 4 out of the latest participants of these tourneys, not only that but almost half of them will enter either brawl singles, a doubles bracket, or both. If some new player that has never player in a tourney before came out (which was a fair amount of people in the last 2 KY tourneys) they won't give a **** about how much money someone wins, they just want to play to get better. That's the mindset everyone should have going into a tourney, playing to win for the glory and proving to themselves that they are the best, not for the money.

Closing point, it's between having a disappointed group of hybrid brawl/melee players and newcomers that can't afford to enter or feel like the entry exceeds what is needed. No one from out of state cares about the pot enough for it to keep them from coming, and no one in state cares about the pot enough to pay double the entry just so there's 'more at stake.'

It's dumb, change it.

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
It is not dumb and should not be changed. A tournament shouldn't be about attracting new players, that's what smashfests are for. A tourney is about a competition of good players. All a low pot will do is scare away good players. Also last tourney got 20~, my point still stands

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
It is not dumb and should not be changed. A tournament shouldn't be about attracting new players, that's what smashfests are for. A tourney is about a competition of good players. All a low pot will do is scare away good players. Also last tourney got 20~, my point still stands
Last tourney had 23 entrants and this turnout is expected to be a good deal larger.

And you're right, it's only about good players. So why even have anything less than semis? **** the ****ty newcomers and whoever didn't do well last time, only top seeded players are allowed to enter the tourney! That's how it works at tourneys like EVO right? I figure all 700 something entrants went into registration and came into the tourney with the thought of winning or even placing. Surely a game like melee isn't about having fun through competition and working towards the goal of winning when it isn't attached to something as stupid as monetary value. Nah that's crazy

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you are quite following me. The point I'm trying to make is that there needs to be an incentive to win. Not to show up, get last, and leave.

Regardless, this isnt my tourney. You guys organize it how you want. You've heard my views though.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you are quite following me. The point I'm trying to make is that there needs to be an incentive to win. Not to show up, get last, and leave.
There are about 7 or 8 people that have a honest chance of even placing top 4 out of the latest participants of these tourneys

If some new player that has never player in a tourney before came out (which was a fair amount of people in the last 2 KY tourneys) they won't give a **** about how much money someone wins, they just want to play to get better. That's the mindset everyone should have going into a tourney, playing to win for the glory and proving to themselves that they are the best, not for the money.

No one from out of state cares about the pot enough for it to keep them from coming, and no one in state cares about the pot enough to pay double the entry just so there's 'more at stake.'

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
That's bull ****. Anyone can get top 4 if they really wanted to, its up to them to practice, train, and git gud

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
And on another note wheres all our brawl players I want brawl to rock just as steady as melee as this brawl I players need to get hype about this to and show so this event can rock on solid and id like to have a ky vs surrounding states crew and ky brawl vs surrounding states crew battle so get it together ppl!

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
If reneblade shows up, I elect him to represent kneebash. Otherwise I'll be team leader.

Edit: If anyone from southern Indiana going to this wants to challenge this, play me in an official set. If I win, this stands. If you win, you can be team captain. Only person I'd give it up to freely is Reneblade.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
$10 entry for melee and brawl is my vote, I will enter both regardless. Also, have a poll on this thread now for pm/brawl doubles, that would be a lot simpler/cleaner than doing it at the venue.

EDIT: OoS players are less likely to come at a $5 entry fee, locals will enter regardless, brawl players will enter out of support for melee. We always have, and now half of us actually enjoy it so we want to get better, and will enter melee regardless of entry fee.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
They aren't less likely to come due to an entry fee, the only reason they'd be less likely to come is due to a lack of players. Which is a likely thing to happen with a 10$ entry for both events

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
They aren't less likely to come due to an entry fee, the only reason they'd be less likely to come is due to a lack of players. Which is a likely thing to happen with a 10$ entry for both events
as an OoS player, I'd be more likely to come if the entry fee is higher.

Edit: You are the only one against this. Everyone is for it. Statistically speaking, we have more for $10

Top Bottom