• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I do think it's important to note that there was something holding back K. Rool in each potential game.

Melee: This game a TOTAL shi7show. Limited development time, tons and tons of famous Nintendo characters in line ahead of K. Rool, Rare relations being tense, it just was bad all around.
Brawl: Arguably had the least holding him back of any of the games, but Diddy and almost Dixie's inclusion likely prevented him from being added as very rarely do franchises get more than one character added per game (especially more than one non-clone).
3DS/Wii U: M-M-Muh relevance.

Sakurai has known people have wanted K. Rool since Brawl, at least. Whether or not he adds him now, with nothing standing in his way? That remains to be seen.
64 could've had King K. Rool as well!
Sure, he wasn't planned, but he was certainly relevant at the time!
Given more time and Cartridge Space, we could've seen King K. with Nintendo's Giants since the very start!
But that's just my view on things. :drshrug:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, if it booted you back to the main menu that means the game didn't crash. More likely, it means the game didn't have a routine programmed after the initial challenger trigger. Of course, that would mean that there are multiple stages to the character unlock trigger before preceding to a battle. Then again, why would it run the ending script if it didn't even progress through a character unlock battle? Does the game have a fail safe system for situations like this? Or does it simply skip through the different phases until hits the one that brings you back to the main menu?

Whoops I think I feel my tin foil hat melting on top of my head. Although I do wonder how they decided to program the game.
If anything, this means that it could yield info if it is indeed data mined, correct?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Now that I think about it, if it booted you back to the main menu that means the game didn't crash. More likely, it means the game didn't have a routine programmed after the initial challenger trigger. Of course, that would mean that there are multiple stages to the character unlock trigger before preceding to a battle. Then again, why would it run the ending script if it didn't even progress through a character unlock battle? Does the game have a fail safe system for situations like this? Or does it simply skip through the different phases until hits the one that brings you back to the main menu?

Whoops I think I feel my tin foil hat melting on top of my head. Although I do wonder how they decided to program the game.
Here's about the most accurate I can make of it;
Finish the Credits
Dance around a bit :4dedede:
Up B off the stage while ending the credits
1 "WOOP" almost finished, moreso a "WOO", rainbow cloud background, no character/text popped up
Black screen for about a second
Bam, main menu, business as usual

I dunno :drshrug:

StormC

Smash Hero
64 could've had King K. Rool as well!
Sure, he wasn't planned, but he was certainly relevant at the time!
Given more time and Cartridge Space, we could've seen King K. with Nintendo's Giants since the very start!
But that's just my view on things. :drshrug:
Hmmm, that's a good question. What would a 1999 Smash roster look like with, oh... 25 characters?

Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Dedede, Diddy, Mewtwo, Wario, and Ganon(dorf?) are all sorta the obvious picks. I could maybe see K. Rool come after those. Pit and Meta Knight also come to mind, but the N64 might have struggled with wings. It's interesting to think about.

I'm not sure I'd want that to be the case though with how limited the N64 movesets were...

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Finish the Credits
1 "WOOP" almost finished, moreso a "WOO", rainbow cloud background, no character/text popped up

Can you try to do this again and record it?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Finish the Credits

This whole thing reminds me of a time in all-star I saw a trophy stand sitting there so I was waiting on it to load. It never did, so I went and picked it up and it crashed the game like completely...

Eureka

Smash Ace
If anything, this means that it could yield info if it is indeed data mined, correct?
Eh, data mining a game and understanding what the heck it means are two different things. It's significantly easier to figure out where specific files are for characters and checking what numerical values where changed, then it is to take a game and try to figure out it's very depths of how it works, which can be almost impossible sometimes without a reference point.
Finish the Credits

Yeah that does kinda sound like a character unlock trigger was only partially loaded, which would explain why it was missing certain parts and cut out to the main menu. Anything beyond that is anyone's guess though. Although I admire the programers for making a game that didn't crash in a situation like that.

Or maybe it was actually Illuminati K. Rool this whole time!!!1!1

Blitz2003

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if I'm alone here,but after seeing the costume video for K. Rool,I'm convinced it has nothing to do with the ballot.There seemed to be no theme.Just a clusterfuss full of franchises to make up for the lack of character Dlc in this bundle.I may be wrong but I still think K.Rool is going strong and may be developed soon.I mean look at the signs.First the trademark,now a costume out of nowhere?I encourage everyone to keep voting for him like crazy.It isn't over until Sakurai deconfirms him OR the ballot ends.Don't give up hope.I have a feeling we may be in for a surprise. :)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Can you try to do this again and record it?
I've been trying all night with a potato-quality camera (I don't got a capture card, I'm sorry) staring it down and no results have been shown
Methinks it's a 1-in-a-Trillion shot :drshrug:
Or maybe it was actually Illuminati K. Rool this whole time!!!1!1
King K. Rool is a triangle?
I've always seen him as a Pear-shaped lad myself :drshrug:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not sure if I'm alone here,but after seeing the costume video for K. Rool,I'm convinced it has nothing to do with the ballot.There seemed to be no theme.Just a clusterfuss full of franchises to make up for the lack of character Dlc in this bundle.I may be wrong but I still think K.Rool is going strong and may be developed soon.I mean look at the signs.First the trademark,now a costume out of nowhere?I encourage everyone to keep voting for him like crazy.It isn't over until Sakurai deconfirms him OR the ballot ends.Don't give up hope.I have a feeling we may be in for a surprise. :)
Of course, Nintendo never wants to crush people's dreams but who knows.

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't think things are looking that bad.

Let's look at the facts:

1) K. Rool has been a highly requested character, near the top/at the top in the Ballot.
2) The mii costume is gorgeous, and the first time the rare model has been used in over a decade. It seems a lot of detail went to it. Belly physics anyone?
3) Link and Samus both have Mii costumes.. They're playable.
4) NOWHERE has it been said that a mii costume = can't be playable.
5) The ballot isn't even over yet.
6) MOST IMPORTANTLY.. Remember when the two stages that were released today, were revealed? Way back at E3. Tournament Mode even longer. Whose to assume this content hasn't been completed for a while? Nintendo has sat on other stuff before, making sure to space it out. (Mario Kart 8, Smash, etc). We've been sending Nintendo emails for years now requesting K. Rool. His mii costume is more than likely a result of THAT and independent of the ballot.

I haven't lost hope. He still has a really good shot.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, I don't think things are looking that bad.

Let's look at the facts:

1) K. Rool has been a highly requested character, near the top/at the top in the Ballot.
2) The mii costume is gorgeous, and the first time the rare model has been used in over a decade. It seems a lot of detail went to it. Belly physics anyone?
3) Link and Samus both have Mii costumes.. They're playable.
4) NOWHERE has it been said that a mii costume = can't be playable.
5) The ballot isn't even over yet.
6) MOST IMPORTANTLY.. Remember when the two stages that were released today, were revealed? Way back at E3. Tournament Mode even longer. Whose to assume this content hasn't been completed for a while? Nintendo has sat on other stuff before, making sure to space it out. (Mario Kart 8, Smash, etc). We've been sending Nintendo emails for years now requesting K. Rool. His mii costume is more than likely a result of THAT and independent of the ballot.

I haven't lost hope. He still has a really good shot.
In regards to #6, yeah, I have to agree. In fact, I think they probably WERE planning on releasing Roy in this update, but maybe after the first leak, they decided to release him at E3 instead. That's also why there was no character this update.

That could either mean we're getting Kongo Jungle Melee (meaning Melee stages confirmed), or a brand new DK stage. Kongo Jungle Melee would be slightly more disappointing, but they could still release a character alongside it.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
good god the costume looks amazing.

the reflections on the belly and crown, the detail of the cape...

...so much coding done for a simple Mii costume?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So... does NOE just have a cruel sense of humor or something?

Really hope this doesn't mean a lot of fans are jumping ship.
It encouraged me to don a tin foil hat from now on.
Because this is fishy.

EDIT: I mean if even Nintendo doesn't regard this as a prize.....

EVEN MORE EDIT: Heck, it now looks like they're ruining expectations for the sake of doing so.
They know we'd be pissed off.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So... does NOE just have a cruel sense of humor or something?

Really hope this doesn't mean a lot of fans are jumping ship.
Don't you mean...a "K.ROOL" sense of humor? eh? EHHHHH`?

Well, they know about the popularity, I guess they are just messing with us. Just wait and see, we'll get the King.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I didn't say you guys were "Forcing" people. Please don't put words in my mouth. What I'm saying is that it's kinda BS for people react to this in such a manner as if they got cheated or didn't get what they want when we're LITERALLY not even at the end result. I know you guys don't care what Outside Opinions. Again, This is apparently becoming a s**tstorm only because a Costume was announced. I'm not wrong to say it's a Knee Jerk reaction when I saw how people reacted to it specifically. Most of the attention, SEEMS to be coming from K. Rool Specifically.

If there's no need to worry, or believing K.Rool is at the top of the brackets....Why was this Controversy existing and people feel like K. Rool got cheated when he didn't...yet.
You're right. I apologize, I didn't fully get what you are saying. In fact, what you're saying is exactly what I've been trying to tell people. A lot of people are upset and overreacting.

The fact that I've been trying to point out is that K. Rool has gotten 0 recognition since 2008. This may not be the most ideal situation, but its still a good thing, and may not even mean anything. Especially since, as others have noted, this pack is totally random. There's not much consistency to it at all. It does seem like it probably had been planned in advance, maybe even fully completed very early on, and they're just gradually releasing the content.

The other thing about the campaign is, it originally started to try and get K. Rool in Smash. After the game released, we changed it over to "BringBackKRool", with the primary goal in mind of bringing K. Rool back into the Nintendo spotlight, getting him at least back in DK games, if not in Smash. That goal I think has clearly now been achieved. We don't know about future games yet, but they've shown they're interested in K. Rool again.

KrocTheVote is related to BringBackKRool, but that came only after the ballot started. Our primarily goal was to get Nintendo to bring back K. Rool, but now with the ballot we've also been trying to spread the word about him for Smash again as well, and it at least seems anyway its been working.

I just realized, why didn't they use K. Rool's theme from DKC or from Brawl but instead put that obvious incoming remix.
I'm surprised they didn't use Gangplank Galleon either... its really quite weird.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Ok I admire the optimism and all but I think just supporting them as you are doing right now its fine, its just a vote for a character for a game. I dont think its a good idea to ask your friends to vote for a character (I mean unless they play smash and care about K Rool). I really think you already have a lot of support (from many sites and countries) and just because a few are giving up its not going to affect much on the ballot, as there are already votes there. We are voting for character here not the president.

Remember, the character DOESN'T have to be number 1 (because probably Goku or some other impossible character is already at 1), its just so Sakurai can see what does the audience all over the world want and then he can pick 1 o 2 from a Top 10, after he evaluates his decision. I think K Rool is pretty safe now.

Also, saying that K Rool dominates Smash Bros discussion and that his is the largest and most organized group of fans on the ballot is a little entitled.
And if you are largest then why worry about a few leaving?
We want to give K. Rool the best chance possible. I dunno where you've been, but convincing others to vote for particular characters -- including friends -- has been a major goal of virtually every character support group in this forum and beyond. This is why people share movesets , make support images and banners, and discuss the characters in general .

We really care about our character and many of us have fun playing this game. It might be overzealous to you but it's an expression of our care for him, his series, and this game. Your comment is strange and rude. Especially since you could apply the condescending sentiment behind your "president" remark to every other part of the forum. Why get so involved in a video game in the first place? Why follow competitive play or discuss character patches extensively? More broadly, why do people spend time following sports, their favorite musicians, or television shows? Why not invest that discussion in something like raising awareness about climate change or something else that is socially pressing? Because we enjoy it. And leisure activities have their place in a healthy life. Everything I posted can be reasonably done and has been done by our group and those of other characters.

Or course, life should have some balance. Should you invest time on K. Rool if your life circumstances make it difficult to do so? I don't think so. If you are sick, dealing with emotional problems that K. Rool time exacerbates, if you can't afford the money to buy the K. Rool costume, don't have the means to make art, don't have friends you could talk about K. Rool with, feel unsafe using twitter or social media, or lack the time and energy to engage with this in general: you probably shouldn't. Your life is more than a video game character's fate in a fighting game. This goes for fans of all characters. Honestly, though, maybe you should take a step back and realize it is a bit presumptuous to tell us how to spend our time. Ultimately, we need to respect people's autonomy in crafting their own lifestyle.

And as you and I both said, K.Rool is probably already doing well. It is not a contradiction to want to maximize our efforts while acknowledging our probable safe place in the ballot. We are moving forward taking all possibilities into consideration.

My comment that we are the largest and most organized group of fans was actually meant to say "we are the largest organized fan group". My observation comes from the size of this thread (in replies) vs. threads of other characters, the number of followers of the Kremling Kampaign on twitter vs. similar accounts for other characters, and the unity of the #KroctheVote movement online. Is it contestable? Yes. But it's not "entitled". If you wish to dispute the facts, say so. But it isn't entitled to make a positive observation of one's own group.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, it's no new music. it is "jungle Level" from Jungle Hijinx.

Still weird that they didn't use the gangplank galleon music, though
If you mean it's the remix already present in the game then no it is actually a little different. Most notably different instruments. If you mean it's just yet another remix of the jungle level then I know what you mean.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
If you mean it's the remix already present in the game then no it is actually a little different. Most notably different instruments. If you mean it's just yet another remix of the jungle level then I know what you mean.
is it really a little different? I can hardly hear that, but hey, gives me something to look forward to if it's true!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
is it really a little different? I can hardly hear that, but hey, gives me something to look forward to if it's true!
I believe it is... Maybe not. Maybe it's just quality differences.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Black Knight Zelgius is a Mii Costume... This is very pleasing!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It sounds the same to me. I think the actual oddity in that trailer is that Brawl's gangplank galleon remix wasn't used.

Also anyone else get surprisingly giddy when playing as K. Rool Mii?
I never played Miis before this. I gave it the cannonball attack, the multiple punch uppercut up B, the fist slamming side B, and the down B head slam. Also edited a Mii face to make it look more like a mouth (kinda). So cool!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In regards to #6, yeah, I have to agree. In fact, I think they probably WERE planning on releasing Roy in this update, but maybe after the first leak, they decided to release him at E3 instead. That's also why there was no character this update.

That could either mean we're getting Kongo Jungle Melee (meaning Melee stages confirmed), or a brand new DK stage. Kongo Jungle Melee would be slightly more disappointing, but they could still release a character alongside it.
Man, it would have been crazy if they did release Roy today - Since we would have learned about him coming and then we get the K. Rool Kostume.,, It would not have been pretty, seeing my fellow Kutthroats turn on me because I got my most wanted character back and all we got was a Mii costume of my other most wanted too. The rage would have been too intense for me.

Anywhos, @Sirfishe's dedication to call Nintendo about costumes and get such a positive response means a plus for the Inklings too! So what do I do with this new update?

Combine my two most wanted onto my own Mii and kreate - MiInK.Rool. (Original Character donotsteal)

The Krown of Our King will always be a reminder that I am always One of You, Kutthroats! I won't stop until our Finest Hour!

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
It sounds the same to me. I think the actual oddity in that trailer is that Brawl's gangplank galleon remix wasn't used.

Also anyone else get surprisingly giddy when playing as K. Rool Mii?
I never played Miis before this. I gave it the cannonball attack, the multiple punch uppercut up B, the fist slamming side B, and the down B head slam. Also edited a Mii face to make it look more like a mouth (kinda). So cool!
I have the exact same moveset on mine!

also, I use him in tourneys, because hey! Mii fighters you can actually use them! waiting for that FG green-light

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd give my K. Rool:

-The Kannonball
-The Sneaky Fistslam
-The Salto Split
-The Head-On Assault

Bowser is a wrestler.
K. Rool is a suicide luchador, with three specials being both meteor smashes and fast-fall attacks.

I already have my black gaping-hole Mii ready for some HONK-action

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, for me I called my K. Rool Mii Fighter "Kampaigner." Its basically my own Mii inside the K. Rool outfit, so I can "Kampaign" for K. Rool's official return. I'll need to figure out the best way to get a snapshot of it.

I'm heavily considering buying the Link tunic and seeing if I can find a green hairstyle. Then I can create a Saria Mii! :D

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
soooo, here is another thought for you guys.

What if the Mii costume is a precaution for the ballot?

What I mean by this is that the team obviously knew about the K.Rool hype before the ballot started, so they prepared a Mii costume in advance to have most of the assets (like the textures of the scales, the gold) finished, in order to speed up the creation progress of the actual K.Rool, in case he wins the ballot.

Just a random thought to throw into the mix, guys :-)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
soooo, here is another thought for you guys.

What if the Mii costume is a precaution for the ballot?

What I mean by this is that the team obviously knew about the K.Rool hype before the ballot started, so they prepared a Mii costume in advance to have most of the assets (like the textures of the scales, the gold) finished, in order to speed up the creation progress of the actual K.Rool, in case he wins the ballot.

Just a random thought to throw into the mix, guys :-)
If anything, they planned on doing K. Rool from the start, but they're going to market him as a ballot character.

Speaking of which, anyone think that these new Mii hats might be added to 3DS Streetpass?

Top Bottom