• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Jun 20, 2015] Road to Glory 3 - $500 Grand Prize - Featuring Dusk Til Dawn... (Eugene, Oregon)

Gamepadnews

Smash Cadet
Gamepad Arena
presents

A final seasonal celebration of Super Smash Bros. competitors and the community in Oregon.
Sponsored by:

UPDATES:
Grassroots support! Local Sponsors!
    • :4pikachu:@Dewey519 Offered $100 towards Cash Prize Bonus!
    • :4drmario:CD-Game Exchange Sponsored $100 in prizes!
    • Big City Gamin' Sponsoring Gift Certificates!

Headlining Event

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Singles - 1 vs 1
  • Doubles* - 2 vs 2
Additional Events

Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Singles* - 1 vs 1

Super Smash Bros. (N64)
  • Singles* - 1 vs 1

*Dependent on interest and time

Payouts (from pooled buy-in)
1st Place: 55% cash + Blue Ribbon
2nd Place: 30% cash + Red Ribbon

3rd Place: 10% cash + Yellow Ribbon
4th Place: 5% cash + White Ribbon

Guaranteed $500 Cash Prize for Headlining Event

Fees
Buy-in: $10 per event goes toward cash prizes

Rules
Interested in what the rules for Singles and Doubles events will be?
Please CLICK HERE

Additional Info
For more information please see: Gamepad Arena's Website

Find us on Facebook: Gamepad Arena
Facebook Event: Road to Glory - Season Finale

On Twitter: @GamepadArena

Watch on Twitch: GamepadArena
Got any questions? Email: aylaroark@gmail.com

More information and updates coming soon!

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm super excited for this tounament and to see the awesome WA crew! <3

T0MMY

Smash Master
Sine someone asked in the Oregon Thread about places to eat I am going to copy/paste over to here:

In the immediate area (couple min walk)
  • Luk Yuan Chinese
  • Applebee's
  • A few little places in the plaza worth investigating I'm not familiar with (sandwiches, doughnuts, and that kind of thing).

A short walk (10 min or less)
  • Ye Olde Pancake House (maybe you can money match @BC Chris in a syrup drinking contest there)
  • Golden Orient
  • Burrito Boy
  • Vietnam Restaurant

A longer walk (~15 min)
  • Hole in the Wall BBQ
  • Sub Shop 31
  • Stray Kat cafe
  • Hawaiin Time (I think there are two in the area)
  • King's Asian Market (Asian snacks/drinks/grocery)
  • LZ Chinese Cuisine (very traditional items on the menu)

A couple minutes driving eastward
  • Papa's Pizza
  • Chingu Restaurant
  • A few food carts (Mexican and Thai I think)

A couple minutes driving westward
  • a plaza with sub sandwiches, ice cream, and a Mexican restaurant
  • a little further west will take you to Fred Meyer grocery store, and some fast food restaurants.

The "Whit" is the Whitaker neighborhood with all kinds of the city's talked-about food places about 7-min drive from venue.
East on 11th from the venue, turn left and head north on Chambers then take a right and head east on 8th will get you to the Whit - I'd suggest taking a left onto Monroe which turns into Blair and see what catches your eye.
Notable places from my memory
First thing you'll probably see coming from the venue is a plaza with:
  • Laughing Planet
  • Falling Sky
  • El Jarre Azule
  • Taco Loco

In the vicinity of the plaza is:
  • a quaint Thai Food Cart (food is good, quick, and affordable)
  • Choa Pra Ya (Thai Restaurant right across the street from the Thai food cart)
  • East is Sweet Life Patisserie (dessert place) on Monroe
Northward is:
  • Tacovore
  • Pizza Research Institute
  • Vanilla Jill's ice cream & soup
  • Izakaya and Mame's (Japanese Food)

And a number of breweries northward near the barcade pretty much is the border of the Whit food.

Eastward from there and you hit downtown area with plenty more food where one of my favorite restaurants is, Lotus Garden which is north from the Library on Charnelton. Right next to the library is the Kiva grocery store which has all kinds of Eugene foods (Kombucha, organic produce, snacks, and deli).

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
Am I reading the rules for 64 right? Only Sector Z is banned, and the winner only strikes one stage? Also 3 stock?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Am I reading the rules for 64 right? Only Sector Z is banned, and the winner only strikes one stage? Also 3 stock?
Not entirely - the "Full Stage List" is used with "Gentleman's Agreement" (when both players agree to uncommon Stages). Sector Z and Random are Banned and cannot be agreed on due to time constraints.

The "Counterpick Stage List" is what is used with the one ban, it is essentially the standard Stages here on Smashboards but with Saffron added (since bans are used for added option/diversity).

There's a note about the stocks that it could be changed depending on time. Smash in general is known to get kicked out of venues before events finish and we have a time restraint on our venue. SSB64 generally fluctuates with number of stock in rulesets so the exact number from 3 to 5 will be decided when we see how many people are entering and how many setups we have. My guess is 4 stock will probably be the decision.

Last edited:

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
Not entirely - the "Full Stage List" is used with "Gentleman's Agreement" (when both players agree to uncommon Stages). Sector Z and Random are Banned and cannot be agreed on due to time constraints.

The "Counterpick Stage List" is what is used with the one ban, it is essentially the standard Stages here on Smashboards but with Saffron added (since bans are used for added option/diversity).

There's a note about the stocks that it could be changed depending on time. Smash in general is known to get kicked out of venues before events finish and we have a time restraint on our venue. SSB64 generally fluctuates with number of stock in rulesets so the exact number from 3 to 5 will be decided when we see how many people are entering and how many setups we have. My guess is 4 stock will probably be the decision.
How many people show up for 64 on average?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
How many people show up for 64 on average?
Sadly, not very many recently. Even the 64 event up at North West Majors/Regionals was relatively smalll compared to the other games around it. I guess it's just the ebb and flow of interest with Melee being big, and rightfully so with EVO 2015 right around the corner.

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
Sadly, not very many recently. Even the 64 event up at North West Majors/Regionals was relatively smalll compared to the other games around it. I guess it's just the ebb and flow of interest with Melee being big, and rightfully so with EVO 2015 right around the corner.
NWM had like a 20+ person bracket, that's pretty good for 64 considering the monthlies are like, six people. I was just wondering if you guys were pulling 10+ to see if it was worth traveling down for at some point.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Nah, if Majors only got 20+ with players from Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, and Canada then I would think twice about coming to a local monthly in Oregon.
However, if we focused on it enough I think it could happen and then I'd let you know personally. Afterall, we've got a few good SSB players here ;^D

Last edited:

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
Well if the local monthly in Oregon had a regular following, then I would make an effort to go to it to try to network and possibly get them into online play. Why wouldn't integrating the two scenes be a good idea? And why does the attendance of NWM have anything to do with the attendance of your 64 tournament?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Well if the local monthly in Oregon had a regular following, then I would make an effort to go to it to try to network and possibly get them into online play. Why wouldn't integrating the two scenes be a good idea? And why does the attendance of NWM have anything to do with the attendance of your 64 tournament?
Sounds like a good idea. What do you use for online play?
And I was just saying that people from all those states/provinces do not come to Oregon regularly, so I wouldn't make a trip down here expecting it to happen. The only time I got that many people interested in playing SSB was when I offered it on VC and they didn't have to bring any controllers in addition to their Gamecube controller.

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
I'm not expecting people to TRAVEL to Oregon for a tournament. I wanted to know if there was AN EXISTING SCENE for it there. Clearly there isn't, as far as you are aware.

64 online is Killera + an emulator

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm not expecting people to TRAVEL to Oregon for a tournament. I wanted to know if there was AN EXISTING SCENE for it there. Clearly there isn't, as far as you are aware.

64 online is Killera + an emulator
Sorry, you did say "to see if it was worth traveling down for at some point" - there is a "scene" here, but I don't know of anyone in the scene who travels for 64 specifically, you probably played with some of them at NWM (I didn't enter because I don't play on the 64 anymore due to the average controller lifespan being next to nothing).
We'll see you at the next NWM maybe.
And thanks for th info! Maybe I can use a non-64 controller with Killera it? :)

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
People use keyboards, xbox controllers, and gamecube controllers for Killera pretty commonly. You just need to be sure you get the right PC adapter for whatever you want to play on.

T0MMY

Smash Master
People use keyboards, xbox controllers, and gamecube controllers for Killera pretty commonly. You just need to be sure you get the right PC adapter for whatever you want to play on.
Would this be a standard in tournament or is it going to cause problems with people who demand an N64 setup only? If it perfectly emulates it then the only issue is if Killera allows for N64 controllers as well as GCC.

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
Would this be a standard in tournament or is it going to cause problems with people who demand an N64 setup only? If it perfectly emulates it then the only issue is if Killera allows for N64 controllers as well as GCC.
Why would you want to not play console if you are at a live event? No tournaments would bring emulators when you can just bring a console instead. Killera is so you can play online if you don't live close to anyone else and don't want to travel.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Why would you want to not play console if you are at a live event? No tournaments would bring emulators when you can just bring a console instead. Killera is so you can play online if you don't live close to anyone else and don't want to travel.
Really depends on how many people are using the various controllers - why limit players to a single controller which is difficult to find, has a short competitive lifespan, and rising costs? I had to stop entering SSB64 tourneys simply because I didn't have the hardware, so Killera sounds great, but if I'm practicing on a keyboard or whatever then it's not going to do me much good if that's not an option I can use.
Obviously I'm not trying to upset standards (since I'm not even familiar with Killera), but as a TO that is looking to build/grow a scene I'd want to address any issues people are having about joining. Is it taboo to offer anything other than an N64 and N64 Controller only?

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
Really depends on how many people are using the various controllers - why limit players to a single controller which is difficult to find, has a short competitive lifespan, and rising costs? I had to stop entering SSB64 tourneys simply because I didn't have the hardware, so Killera sounds great, but if I'm practicing on a keyboard or whatever then it's not going to do me much good if that's not an option I can use.
Obviously I'm not trying to upset standards (since I'm not even familiar with Killera), but as a TO that is looking to build/grow a scene I'd want to address any issues people are having about joining. Is it taboo to offer anything other than an N64 and N64 Controller only?
Controller, no. Console, yes.

As long as you are supplying your controller that is compatible with the N64 console. You should also look into investing in a Hori Pad or Gamecube adapters if your primary concern is wearing out your controller.

No one runs 64 tournaments on anything other than N64s unless they are online tournaments. Killera is a great option for playing 64 online with other people when you don't have the option to travel to them to play. Not a way to bypass using an N64 to host in person tournaments. Would you run a Melee tournament on Dolphin?

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Controller, no. Console, yes.

As long as you are supplying your controller that is compatible with the N64 console. You should also look into investing in a Hori Pad or Gamecube adapters if your primary concern is wearing out your controller.

No one runs 64 tournaments on anything other than N64s unless they are online tournaments. Killera is a great option for playing 64 online with other people when you don't have the option to travel to them to play. Not a way to bypass using an N64 to host in person tournaments. Would you run a Melee tournament on Dolphin?
Ok, thanks for the info. I might look into getting an adapter for the controller, if those were standard I think the N64 scene could grow a lot.
Actually most Melee tournaments I've been to recently have a lot of emulator/non-cube setups. I never took count but I wouldn't be surprised if Gamecubes were a minority at some.

Smurf16

Smash Cadet
I've seen a lot of hacked Wiis with 20xx, but I don't see anyone playing on computers. And I know that some people refuse to play on even 20xx.

Hori pads are essentially gamecube style controllers made for the 64. The sticks don't wear out and you can get insane DI with them. They are about $70 online. I think the adapters that let you use gamecube controllers are about $20-30.

Top Bottom