• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 14, 2014] (Brawl) Super Smash Bros Tournament $200 prize(Brandon, Fl)

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
R.U.Game?store presents
Super Smash Bros Tournament

Address
459 Brandon Town Center,
Brandon, Fl 33511

The last two R.U.Game? tourneys had 128 players enter. It would have gotten more but it capped. I hope that they get a good number of entrants again despite the smaller prize.

Super Smash Bros Brawl
Singles only

Prices
Entry fee $15 per entrant
No discounts, no other fees

No fee for spectators

Rewards
1st $200
2nd $100
3rd $50
4th $25
5th $15

Schedule
June 14th 2014

Sign-ups: Any time before 3:00 P.M. or entrant cap is reached.
Signing up days ahead of time is allowed.

Mall opens around 11:00 A.M.
(at least, that is when I show up.)
Friendlies start: 1:00 P.M.
Tourney starts: 3:00 P.M.
Please be aware that the last two tourneys capped out at about 2:00 p.m.

The tourney lasts past 9:00 pm but most, if not all, of the in-mall stores close before that time as well as most bathrooms.

Rules and Settings
(rules/main rules)
Mode: Stock
# of Stocks: 5
Handicap: off
Damage Ratio: 1.0
Stage Choice: Random

(rules/item switch)
all items set to off and none.

(rules/more rules)
Stock Time Limit: infinite
Team Attack: doesn't matter
Pause: off is preferable
Score Display: off
Damage Gauge: on

(rules/more rules/random stage switch)
Turn all Brawl, Melee, and Custom stages off except Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Castle Siege, and Pokemon Stadium 1. Leave those stages on.

STAGELIST
stages are chosen by random stage select.
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island(Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1

Meta Knight is banned.

Matches will be played in a best one of one style.

This tourney is BYOC(Bring Your Own Controller)

Legal controllers
Wiimote only
Wiimote+Nunchuk
Wiimote+classic controller standard or pro
Gamecube Controllers(Wavebirds okay)

Turbo, modded, and/or third party controllers are banned.

other info

Do not bring set-ups.

Even though it is obvious, I will state it anyway. The tournament will take place inside the R.U.Game? video game store inside Brandon Westfield Mall.

Most R.U.Game? tournaments use a single elim format until top 8, which then uses a double elim format.

Please note: I have no bearing on the rules or format of this tournament. Nor do I have any affiliation with R.U.Game?store

Links and Numbers

Link:R.U.Game?store website event page.

Link:Map of Brandon Westfield Mall

R.U.Game?store Brandon's phone number
1-813-653-4263

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Shoutouts to people posting about rulesets that aren't even going to attend :laugh:

Anyway guys, get hyped. I'll be running this event. Also, when it gets to top 8, it turns into double elim bracket, but with 128 people starting out, single elim is the only viable option

If you have any questions about the tourney itself, please don't hesistate to contact me and I'll answer all I can

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Shoutouts to people posting about rulesets that aren't even going to attend :laugh:

Anyway guys, get hyped. I'll be running this event. Also, when it gets to top 8, it turns into double elim bracket, but with 128 people starting out, single elim is the only viable option

If you have any questions about the tourney itself, please don't hesistate to contact me and I'll answer all I can
you know, i totally could attend because like you, this event is only an hour and some odd minutes from me. but how is any of that stuff supposed to be appealing? can you really blame me? brawl isn't my primary game, but it's a game that i'd like to practice and get good matches in. this isn't the environment for that, it seems. there's nothing encouraging about single elim, best of one, 5 stock on hd tvs.

though it's definitely comforting to know you're running the whole thing. how will seeding be done?

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

You will learn the art of playing on laggy tvs. And yes, it is an artform.
shouldn't have to learn. it's not even fun.

also, there was over $1500 taken from the pot to go to the store last time. i know it's a business and all, but damn.

@ GDX GDX considering that you're probably going to win or place highly, that should at least slightly bother you. like just a little bit, even.

Last edited:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
you know, i totally could attend because like you, this event is only an hour and some odd minutes from me. but how is any of that stuff supposed to be appealing? can you really blame me? brawl isn't my primary game, but it's a game that i'd like to practice and get good matches in. this isn't the environment for that, it seems. there's nothing encouraging about single elim, best of one, 5 stock on hd tvs.

though it's definitely comforting to know you're running the whole thing. how will seeding be done?

I dont think these boards have multiquotes anymore. If they do, I have no idea how to do them

I seed players in a way to spread out the good players so, if they were to keep winning, they would get within the final 8 for the double elim bracket. No reason for the handful of good players that are there to get eliminated in a single elim match

I also don't feel the lag on the TVs. But then again, I've always played brawl on component cables and LCD TVs, so maybe I'm used to it? Still doesn't seem very noticable at all on the TVs in the venue, at least (I've seem some really laggy ones before, even for me)

Speaking of which, single elim 1 match 5 stock isn't very ideal I admit, but its definitely the best option, considering the setup of this particular tournament:
- 4 - 5 setups
- Primarily new players, so not having to teach everyone/everyone waste time on counterpicks or stage bans or sets going 2-1
- People who when they lose can't sit there all day waiting for their losers match even due to the sheer size of the tourney (which usually caps at 128)
- A videogame store in a mall doesn't necessarily want 128 people in their store all day, so single elim filters people out quicker as well, which is better for the store business, as normal shoppers generally aren't going to shop in the store while its jam packed of people so that they cant even walk the aisles, thus the store has lost potential business

That last point in particular is why I really don't care what the store pulls in for profit. Since they don't have an entire extra area for a tourney, hundred people pretty much fill their aisles, and most normal people are not going to go purchase anything during that period of time, which is a Saturday, which is a busy time for mall stores and a time where they should be pulling in most of their money. They are a business and if the make money hosting a tournament that most of the people continually enjoy, who are we to knock their hustle or think less of them? Don't get me wrong, I wish I got apiece of that but I dont. I just run them because I'm friends with the owner/staff,and I like yelling at people :laugh:

Edit: And to reiterate, Once it gets to the top 8, I make it a regular BO3 double elim set tournament from that point on

Edit 2: And no, I don't really blame you for not wanting to attend this particular tournament. Its fun, but its not the normal tournament.

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

that was a truly exceptional post, keith. i really appreciate the effort in responding like that.

i think i'll definitely be going now. after all, to be honest, it's very rare that tournaments happen in central florida at all. it'll be better than nothing, and i have things i can do in brandon after the event, anyway.

see you there.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
It was a very legitimate explanation =o
Good luck guys! I unfortunately still wouldn't be able to make it because of rides and distance.

@ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] : I didn't really get to play you at last Pentakill. I played you and Drew in brawl doubles, but that's it. Are you going to make it to this one? If so, I'd love to have to play you in singles for any of the three games (although Melee won't be at this one, unfortunately). Not sure if I've already asked you this.

Last edited:

//JaZz\\

Smash Journeyman
The ruleset here is understanding from what you've wrote Keith but it is a funny one to me. I've never been to one of these but I think that I can come

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
Yeah, I'm not throwing any more money into a blender on this crap. At least it looks like they -might- be learning as they dropped PS2 from the stage list.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
All right guys, I linked the videos from previous R.U.Game? tourneys so you can see evidence of entrance numbers.
The videos are in the post underneath the main thread.(OP, I think)

Last edited:

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
Same date and time as the Best Buy Smashfest. Double nope.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I beleive I have made the final update to this thread.

-Added the map of Brandon Westfield Mall.

Help me keep this thread bumped until the tournament please, guys. Thank you.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Yea the Saturday Smashfest is 12-5pm saturday, and this tourney is 3 - ? Saturday. Most people, myself included, should have time to go to the smash 4 thing and then this

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
5 stocks, no time limit......An Ice Climbers Dream Winter wonderland come true.

Wish I could have went.

Last edited:
Top Bottom