• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump button for peach?

Azteck_Omega

Smash Rookie
I'm new to peach and I was wondering if I could still use y to jump. It seems like x would be easier but I'm not sure.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Her jump inputs are the same as any other character's. But it is worthy to note that she's the only one (afaik, maybe Ness does too) that dips down a little bit during the start of her second jump. So if you're used to double jumping immediately from the ground, you'll sometimes just land awkwardly.

Maybe using the other jump button slows you down a bit, so you don't encounter this. There are reasons to swap jump buttons for specific inputs if you use mostly X, but swapping from Y for a different character jump time is not one I would suggest. Just play around with it. Generally, you'll want to just full hop instead of double jumping quickly to rise up quickly, anyhow. Weird habit you'll have to break while picking up Peach.

Last edited:

Stockholm Syndrome

Koopa Hot Fiyah
One thing you may want to consider that was a deal breaker for me was instant float cancel nair (FC).

If you use Y then youre anatomically using your thumb correctly, ie what your thumb was meant to do, bend in towards your palm, you use the top joint of the thumb, If you use X then you have to use the joint that connects your thumb to you hand.

It depends on what you prefer but I was much more comfortable using Y instead of X in standard (style of holding the controller) because of what I described. I could move my thumb faster with greater consistency

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Her jump inputs are the same as any other character's. But it is worthy to note that she's the only one (afaik, maybe Ness does too) that dips down a little bit during the start of her second jump. So if you're used to double jumping immediately from the ground, you'll sometimes just land awkwardly.

Maybe using the other jump button slows you down a bit, so you don't encounter this. There are reasons to swap jump buttons for specific inputs if you use mostly X, but swapping from Y for a different character jump time is not one I would suggest. Just play around with it. Generally, you'll want to just full hop instead of double jumping quickly to rise up quickly, anyhow. Weird habit you'll have to break while picking up Peach.
Yoshi's DJ makes him dip lower aswell. Combined with the fact he can turn around with DJ makes him able to grab ledge for instance (run off - turn around DJ - downward momentum makes him grab ledge).

Last edited:

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
I would recommend claw style if you haven't already settled into another grip.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I use x and y and switch between claw/normal grips, would recommend you try it if you're still new to the char

Cocojewels

Smash Rookie
Me personally, I use the y button for my FC just about everything and i use the x button for wavedashing. but when i play another char, i usually just use the x button and never touch the y. I've been playing for about a year now and its hard habit to break

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
I don't claw ever, and I don't feel like it's holding me back at all. I use Y to jump, and I've almost stopped using c-stick for aerials. A is just faster since my thumb already rests on that big green button (only exception are retreating fairs/bairs since you wanna keep holding away the whole time).

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I never use claw, and I use X for everything. It's how I've always been comfortable playing, and I haven't run into any problems because of it. You can do everything you can with claw without claw and vice versa (though claw may be easier/more comfortable for you).

The right answer is always whatever makes you most comfortable!

Last edited:

Stockholm Syndrome

Koopa Hot Fiyah
You can do everything you can with claw without claw and vice versa (though claw may be easier/more comfortable for you).
Though I am completely for playing comfortably, claw has objective advantages to it specifically with back air and fair (and upair but not as much)

When you play standard, you are using your thumb for both Y/X for float and your thumb piviting on A for your aerials, naturally.

Float has momentum to it, similar to luigi coming out of a wavedash.

If you are doing a FC fair but you want to retreat when you do it and you're playing standard, you now have limited your movement abilities because;

Analog stick now controls both your direction in float AND your aerial input (foward = fair)

So if you're facing left, and you want to do a retreating FC fair, you have to

jump > float > go right > input a left + a (FAIR), which shifts your momentum to the left (not backwards) for a moment > press right to continue retreating

That creates a stutter in your momentum, a slowing point, or murmur.

So what happens when you play claw? Full momentum retreating fairs and approaching bairs. You don't have to shift your momentum because now the same scenario becomes

jump > float > go right > input a c stick left (FAIR), which leaves your momentum to the right (backwards) > continue pressing right and continue retreating

All said here ^^ can be applied to approaching bair just reverse everything.

IMO peach's worse traits are her speed, why not do something to help that, even if only slightly?

(on a side note I think that instant FC upair is a lot easier with claw but thats a comfortability thing but i just think that the idea of doing instant fc upair in standard is stupid.

down + jump > stick to neutral > stick up + A > let go of jump > down = 1 instant FC Nair

Claw would be; down + jump > stick to neutral > c stick up > let go of jump > down = 1 instant FC Nair

The change goes from you going (on the analog stick) down, neutral, up, down..... to down neutral down. IMO makes it a lot easier, but thats for you to decide, doing standard instant fc upair on command is really hard, but claw instant fc nair is hella easy to me. What I said above about retreating fc fair and approaching fc bair are objective though. Momentum is affected if you dont use the c stick, which means claw, since your aerial and float inputs are on the same stick, with standard)

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I like to use X mosty and change to Y for upsmash out of shield so I can use the palm of my hand to use C stick. It's also worthy to note that I have big fat hands and that gc controllers are tiny

Last edited:

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I think it has a lot to do with the size and length of your fingers and hands. My hands have never hurt after playing melee. My buddy however has pain after 5 games.

Top Bottom