• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Sep 11, 2015] FRIDAY NIGHT SMASH at HSS (SMASH 4) (Deer Park, NY)

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
FNS is the only venue to offer Friday night Smash 4 tournaments on Long Island, and we do so every week with good turnout! The competition is intense, but there's no better place in the region to put your Smash skills to the test.

Check us out at the Deer Park Play n Trade - you won't regret it!

VENUE INFORMATION
Our venue, a Play n Trade, is located on 1934 Deer Park Ave in Deer Park, NY. The venue sells snacks and beverages on demand, but there pizzerias and a Five Guys nearby. No hunger johns!

Our tournament opens for registration at 5:00 and begins at 6:00. You are absolutely welcome to arrive earlier, but you are not welcome to arrive later except as a spectator. (NOTE: We do allow pre-registration via a post to the Facebook page of a given event, but we will shoot your into the losers bracket or disqualify you if we can't proceed without your play.) Friendlies are permitted for the 3DS version in the main store area once the tournament begins.

We are a singles tournament, but we are open to the possibility of a doubles bracket. If we get enough Wii U + GC adapter + HDTV setups on board, we may just have enough time to do this afterwards!

Our prize pot consists of the bracket entry fees, and it is split in percentages of 60-30-10 amongst the first, second, and third place entrants respectively.

We charge $5 for your bracket entry and $5 for a venue fee, but we will waive the venue fee for anyone who brings a Wii U + GC Adapter + HDTV setup! Please support our venue by bringing at least some of those things and preferably all of them - the tournament experience will be all the better and quicker for it!

If you pay venue fees for FNS and intend to attend HSS' Saturday PM / Melee event(s), your venue fee for Saturday will be waived! HSS as an organization aims to provide you a total Smash tournament experience on Long Island - indulge yourself! (We'd really prefer it if you brought setups for both, though… really!)

IMPORTANT ADVICE

1. If you can bring an HDTV and Wii U with GC adapter, DO IT! We need your help to finish our tournament quickly - Smash 4 brackets take time to play out, and the risk of us having to abbreviate the bracket in horribly unfair ways is real. We'll waive your venue fee for the day if you can prevent this! (Just one of those will give you a $2 discount as well!)

2. Bringing your own controller is an absolute necessity. Gamepads do not count.

3. Please disconnect wireless controllers from consoles after you are done with a friendly or match - unneeded connections are very annoying and impede tournament progress!

4. Wear deodorant, regardless of whether you think you stink or not. You are playing high intensity matches in close proximity to others - stink distractions are a real thing!

5. There are kids who attend, so be mindful - e.g. don't bring in drugs. (use common sense)

6. Arrive early - you'll get to play friendlies, you'll meet our registration deadline, and we will be able to organize our tournament better!

7. Don't do anything fishy, like collude, coach mid-game, report your matches incorrectly, interrupt matches in an inappropriate way, and so on (use common sense). We will disqualify you from play and ban you from the venue for a time.

OFFICIAL RULES

We play 2 stock, 6 minute matches with no items.

In the case of a tie resulting from timeout, the winner is determined first by stock lead, then by damage percentage lead.
In the extraordinarily rare case of a tie by all of these accounts, you must do a 1 stock, 3 minute match.

Per each opponent you face, you will play a best-of-3 set, except in winners / losers finals and grand finals, where you will play a best-of-5.

When a set begins, players play rock-paper-scissors. The loser of the set bans one stage from the standard portion of the stage list below, and the winner picks from the remaining two.

The winner of a round in a set must select their character before their opponent does.

The winner of a round in a set bans two stages from the complete stage list below, and the loser picks from the remaining stages.

You may not pick a stage that you have already won on.

Pause is turned off. If it is not turned off, and someone pauses, they forfeit their stock.

Customs are off unless otherwise stated.

The winner on the results screen is always the winner - we have no suicide move clauses.

OUR DEFAULT MAPLIST IS AS FOLLOWS:

Standard: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville
Counterpick: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Town and City

As of now, we are following the commonly accepted maplist, though we intend to hold future votes on the legality of some stages as our venue grows - stay tuned!

THE EMERGENCY CLAUSE

In the hopefully near-impossible circumstance of very few setups, it is permissible to fight on Gamepads or the 3DS version.

In the case of the latter, the rules are basically the same, but the stagelist is as follows, and the loser of a match only bans one of the following:

Standard: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island
Counterpick: Arena Ferox, Prism Tower

Please situate yourselves close to your opponent and away from others to reduce lag / interference.

KEEP IN TOUCH WITH FNS / HSS

Internal updates, votes on venue policies, and discussion with attendees is done in the Honor Strength Smash Community page on Facebook, located at https://www.facebook.com/groups/HonorStrengthSMASH/ .

We also encourage you to join the Long Island Smash for 3DS / Wii U Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/LIsmash4/ for external reminders about our tournament and information about Long Island's broader Smash 4 scene.

Last edited:

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
Will these tournaments be held every Friday? I'd love to go to this one, but finals...

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
OK, and one more question to make sure I'm thinking of the correct store: Is this Play N Trade in the same shopping center/area as a CVS Pharmacy? I think I know the location of the place, but just want to make sure in case I decide to come next week.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Great turnout last week - hope to make it even better, or at least consistent! Make sure to show up this week!

OK, and one more question to make sure I'm thinking of the correct store: Is this Play N Trade in the same shopping center/area as a CVS Pharmacy? I think I know the location of the place, but just want to make sure in case I decide to come next week.
I don't think there is a CVS nearby, no. Get some directions off of Mapquest if you can.

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
Then I was definitely thinking of the wrong place. I will be showing up at this one though. Can't wait.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE NOTE that we are definitely STARTING at 6:30 PM this week onward, barring extremely low player turnout. If you must arrive late (please don't, we want early arrivals, not late arrivals! plus, you get to play friendlies!), make sure to take advantage of pre-registration on the event page so we can try to delay your matches in Round 1 and offer you Loser's participation if we cannot progress the tourney without a DQ.

Hope to see you all there - let's build a solid community here!

https://www.facebook.com/events/702431426549362/

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
We will be starting at 6:00 this week, and registration will start at 5 - hope to see some of you who haven't turned up yet!

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Well, that was fun. I had my butt handed to me, though... (That moment when you realize you're not as good as you think you are)

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Well, that was fun. I had my butt handed to me, though... (That moment when you realize you're not as good as you think you are)
That's the tournament experience. Keep coming back - it's the best way to develop as a player.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
That's the tournament experience. Keep coming back - it's the best way to develop as a player.
I'd love to, but I'm out in Nassau, and until I pass that gosh-darn road test, I can't go unless I'm able to piggy back a family member who would be going to that general area around the same time.

xTheAscendedOnex

Smash Rookie
NNID
xTheAscendedOnex
3DS FC
0920-1616-5469
Hey, SeanS. I really enjoyed the tournament on the 29th. Wish I got a little farther but then it was my first time fighting talented people. The doubles we had showed me how skilled you are. Next time I come to the tournament I hope to face you in the singles. lol. Only one way for me to improve so I gotta fight the very best.

xTheAscendedOnex

Smash Rookie
NNID
xTheAscendedOnex
3DS FC
0920-1616-5469
Ah, thanks. I was the guy who lost the first round of bracket AND losers :/ I think my tag was MJV.
Yea....I don't know if you were the one I eliminated in losers first round. I used Yoshi vs. Ness and then I used Link vs. Captain Falcon.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Yea....I don't know if you were the one I eliminated in losers first round. I used Yoshi vs. Ness and then I used Link vs. Captain Falcon.
Bad word choice. I didn't mean the first round of the tourney, just my first round.

xTheAscendedOnex

Smash Rookie
NNID
xTheAscendedOnex
3DS FC
0920-1616-5469
Ah. lol. Okay. There was a lot of players so I don't know if I remember you. So many matches going on at once.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
There will be no Friday Night Smash this week. Apologies to anyone who wanted to attend. See you next week!

FearlessTactician

Smash Rookie
Hey man, I am new to tournaments and If i am able to make it this will be my first tournament :). Hopefully, I get to go with my friend to relieve my nerves xD. I can bring a GC Adaptor and a couple controllers if needed. *EDIT*: Will you have the new DLC characters like Ryu? I have been using him ALOT, and I am getting pretty good.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Excellent, look forward to seeing you!

We generally don't need GC adapters by themselves, but these kinds of events are always bring-your-own-controller, so be sure to do that.

We will allow all DLC characters at this week's event.

FearlessTactician

Smash Rookie
Excellent, look forward to seeing you!

We generally don't need GC adapters by themselves, but these kinds of events are always bring-your-own-controller, so be sure to do that.

We will allow all DLC characters at this week's event.
Thank You man ^_^. Hope I will be able to make it

xTheAscendedOnex

Smash Rookie
NNID
xTheAscendedOnex
3DS FC
0920-1616-5469
I haven't had an open friday to come back to this tournament. I'm so upset. I WANNA JOIN!!! T_T

Stupid real life with it's stupid working for a living.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
We're still going strong!

That being said... doubles will not be a possibility for this particular week - sorry!

Punn

Smash Rookie
Wondering if anybody knows the answer to this.. is the gamecube controller with the wii mote connector allowed? I plan on attending this what is possibly my first tournament participation so I'm not sure which or what controller is allowed other then the wii u gamepad not allowed.

CCC!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Petersonc87
3DS FC
1891-1439-7687
How many people typically enter each week?

Also, any gameplay videos? Curious to see the type of skill level. Thanks!

SeanS

Smash Journeyman

We have a fantastic mix of skill levels, from beginner to top. We have let 3 year olds and complete beginners join, and we also have people who can take games off top players - if they aren't already top players like Vinnie or Dabuz. We have your people who are right off Anther's Ladder, and we have your people who can be a threat at big tournies, etc. If you play Smash, you *will* find people like you here. I mean that.

CCC!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Petersonc87
3DS FC
1891-1439-7687

We have a fantastic mix of skill levels, from beginner to top. We have let 3 year olds and complete beginners join, and we also have people who can take games off top players - if they aren't already top players like Vinnie or Dabuz. We have your people who are right off Anther's Ladder, and we have your people who can be a threat at big tournies, etc. If you play Smash, you *will* find people like you here. I mean that.
Great! Thanks so much for the info.

Two more questions: how many entrants typically are in singles, and since I just turned 29, will I be the oldest person around? Haha thanks again.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Great! Thanks so much for the info.

Two more questions: how many entrants typically are in singles, and since I just turned 29, will I be the oldest person around? Haha thanks again.
It's certainly not the norm, but one of our regulars is in his late 20s, so you're not alone.

And my bad about not answering the number of entrants question. Actually, last week, we had a record 26 attendants, even without a lot of our regulars. 20+ is usually the norm.

CCC!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Petersonc87
3DS FC
1891-1439-7687
It's certainly not the norm, but one of our regulars is in his late 20s, so you're not alone.

And my bad about not answering the number of entrants question. Actually, last week, we had a record 26 attendants, even without a lot of our regulars. 20+ is usually the norm.
Sounds great, thanks again. I'll find a Friday in August to come by

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
Since I can't use my normal counter to Sheik (R.I.P. Reggie) who else counters her?

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Hoping to finally go this week. Will Dream Land be an allowed stage?

Last edited:

CCC!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Petersonc87
3DS FC
1891-1439-7687
This happening tonight? Might be able to come by

Top Bottom