• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [Sep 18, 2015] Feelin' the Flo Biweekly (Smash Wii U) (Florence, South Carolina)

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna throw out a try here to get some tournament action started here in scenic Florence, South Carolina:

Welcome to Feelin' the Flo!

Since it's totally new, I'd like to feel out who might be regulars to this tournament, how often tourney-goers would like it to occur, and stuff like that, so for our first tournament:

Entry will be 1 dollar.
Venue fee will also be 1 dollar. The total entries will be added to the pot, and depending on how many players we get, the total will be divided up between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

Tournament ruleset:
2 stock, 6 minute timer. Sets are best two out of three. Loser's and Winner's finals are best 3 of 5. Grand finals are best 3 of 5, if the Winner's bracket winner loses the first set, another set of best 3 of 5 is played to determine the overall winner.

Sudden Death is never played - Winner of a timeout with equal stock is the player with lower percent. Tied percentages invoke a 1 stock, 3 minute game, winner of that game is awarded the win.

Self Destruct moves (Ganoncide, Bowsercide, etc) are the game's call on final stocks. For example, Ganondorf always dies second from his Side-B (thusly winning the game), but Bowser dies first (resulting in a loss). If a Self Destruct move does take the game to Sudden Death, the initiator of the Self Destruct move is awarded the win.

All characters legal.

Neutral Stages:
- Final Destination
- Battlefield/Miiverse (Strikes/bans on Battlefield/Miiverse ban the other)
- Smashville
- Town and City
- Lylat Cruise

Counterpick
- Any Omega Stage (bans on FD ban Omega Stages)
- Delfino Plaza
- Halberd
- Castle Siege
- Dream Land 64
- Duck Hunt
- Kongo Jungle 64

Stage Striking will be 1:2:1; higher seed strikes first (seed is randomly generated for now). Winner gets two bans, Loser's counterpick.

Bring your own controller! We cannot guarantee spare controllers to be available.

Last edited:

KillaCameron

Smash Rookie
If it was closer to the Greenville County area in the Upstate I would be able to go :(. Hopefully there can be more tourneys than just one where I live.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Can you tell me what time this is? I just realized that its on a friday and I might not make it.

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Hey about customs. If I need to use any personally, I can transfer the fighter set from my 3DS. So if I go, you can post commonly used customs, I'll grab them.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the fact that players can transfer their custom characters from the 3DS version. I think most tournaments don't opt for that for time constraints, but this one honestly probably won't be very big. Depending on how many people turn out, I'll keep it in mind.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Also, Google is a but awkward when it comes to identifying locations. Is the church the location for sure?

Volt.

Smash Rookie
looks cool but its a little far for me :(

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Had a great time here! I might bring a Setup (most customs) next time. Great Atmosphere, Cheap, Amazing players! All things went smoothly!

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for coming out, it was a great time and all of the players really seemed to enjoy it.

The general consensus seemed to lean towards bi-weekly for this series, so we'll be looking into securing the venue every other week. There'll be another thread up for our next tournament soon.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Scratch that, turns out that another thread is superfluous when I can just edit the event details on this one.

As a result of the feedback we received from our first tournament, Skyloft has been removed from our counterpick list, but Duck Hunt and Kongo Jungle have been added. We did receive a suggestion to move Lylat Cruise from Neutral to Counterpick, but we haven't gone through with that yet. Discussion on that topic is very welcome here.

Unless something comes up, our next tournament will (as it states in the thread title) be on August 14, 2015. We're really hoping for a bigger turnout, so the fact still stands - if you can bring a setup (Wii U, GC Adapter, TV), we'll really appreciate it - you'll even get a free fruit roll-up in return for your effort!

Again, if anyone has any suggestions, comments, or concerns regarding our tournament series, please post it here. We'd love to get feedback from our visitors or potential visitors.

TheWumbologistt

Smash Rookie
Hey, ForteX. I have a group of people that might be interested in going to this biweekly. We're a group of Navy guys that got stationed in SC and I'm trying to cultivate a scene here and felt like having a long term reward would entice the player base in my area to put in some work and enjoy a trip out to an event.

Unfortunately, travel is limited, and we have to get special permission to drive most places. I think we'd be willing to get it sorted out but these guys need some goal or point of interest to make the trip interesting. Out of curiosity, how many people show up to these events? Is this likely to continue for at least a couple of months?

I really want to get these guys out to an event just to have some fun, I'm looking on the order of about 7-10 guys, probably 2-4 setups, and this would be in the scope of probably a month and a half away at the earliest due to a number of factors (paperwork, expenses, workload, etc.)

I know it's hard to predict something significantly far away in terms of time, I just won't be able to handle it if we get all of us together and get their hopes up for plans to fall through. :(

Regardless, I hope this tournament series thrives! Good luck!

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Our first tournament's turnout was 11, with two more players who didn't show for one reason or the other. Since the current entry fee is only a dollar, I can personally understand if people aren't too willing to travel for it, since the grand prize barely covers gas unless you're driving a hybrid. How much participants would be willing to pay for an entry fee is a point of interest for us, and I assumed starting out the series with lower entry fees would really attract the local crowd; create the scene and get dedicated returning players before getting people from further away.

As for how long we run this... there's a few variables involved in that. First and most importantly is keeping our venue, which is currently a church recreation hall. Within reason, we should be allowed to use that room as long as we don't wreck it virtually forever, especially if no other events are planned there that clash with what we're running.

Secondly is mine and my friends' work schedules. We run this tournament series for the love of the game first and foremost, and it certainly isn't a source of income for any of us. The fact that its a tournament and not just a biweekly friendly is purely to give people the incentive to come out, as well as to provide a little structure. We might shift towards having a weekly friendly in the distant future if the local scene really comes out. This is honestly pretty flexible, since we could just move the tournament time or day to accommodate our ability to keep it running.

Just as a suggestion, since your location says Goose Creek, and I'm just assuming your main area is Charleston, there's a weekly much more local to you, Goose Creek Fight Club, at Club Frequency every Tuesday. Disregard me if that's the "player base in [your] area" you were talking about.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
To anyone planning on coming out this week, we've had to do a little schedule changing - instead of Friday evening, this week's Feelin' the Flo will be on Saturday, August 15 at 2 PM until we're through. No other changes, we've just had a little bit of trouble securing our venue. Now that it's set, we're ready to go.

Hope to see people there!

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
To anyone planning on coming out this week, we've had to do a little schedule changing - instead of Friday evening, this week's Feelin' the Flo will be on Saturday, August 15 at 2 PM until we're through. No other changes, we've just had a little bit of trouble securing our venue. Now that it's set, we're ready to go.

Hope to see people there!
I am afraid I won't be able to go this week, as per family issues, and none of my friends can bring me. Hopefully next time!

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Sorry you couldn't make it, @ Sudoi Sudoi . We had a great time again this week, and we're really looking forward to seeing our regulars back.

I'm going to again tentatively say that our next one will be held on the 28th of August at 6, but if it doesn't work out, I'll do my best to keep everyone updated.

Big thanks to everyone who came out in support of our event again or for the first time. We have a great scene, and we're looking forward to it growing more!

Last edited:

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
This is still happening yes?
I live super close to this so I'd be there
We actually aren't able to get our venue for this weekend, so we're going to have to postpone this week's tournament until next Friday, the 18th. I'll be updating the tournament details later today.

EzraHuntings

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm a player in Mt. Pleasant and I haven't found many Smash 4 Tourneys in SC, so I'm glad I found this tourney. But I have a quick question for the hosts of the tourney. Is the tourney all ages? I'm thirteen and I really want to at least try out in the Smash competitive scene so if this is all ages I would be very grateful. If this is all ages and open (apart from the entry fee) I am almost 100% going. I have every thing set with my parents so I'm good with a ride and they're okay with my entry and I can bring a GC adapter and maybe a console. I may bring my console if it's cool with you guys to have one console for the tourney without MewTwo. Thank you very much in advance. I'm really excited for this tourney and to play everyone that is attending.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this tournament's open to all ages and all skill levels. We host it at a church, so we do our best to maintain a family friendly environment, but sometimes salt/hype/both reach critical mass... our regular crowd is a great group who gets back in line fast.

Unfortunately, like I said, this week's tournament has been postponed until next week, if anyone shows up on Friday, they'll be at a stranger's wedding, which will not include Smash. We look forward to you coming out in the future, though!

EzraHuntings

Smash Rookie
Sweet! Thanks a ton for the quick reponse. I'll be there next week! Hopefully I can attend many of the later tourneys as well. I'm very excited about being able to play with everyone.

EzraHuntings

Smash Rookie
My parents were asking about the venue for this tourney. I remember reading that it would be at Grace Baptist Church, but I haven't been able to find the information a second time. I also couldn't find the RSVP section a second time. Sorry if those facts and sections are really obvious and out in the open, I'm really tired because I have'nt been getting much sleep. :\

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
My parents were asking about the venue for this tourney. I remember reading that it would be at Grace Baptist Church, but I haven't been able to find the information a second time. I also couldn't find the RSVP section a second time. Sorry if those facts and sections are really obvious and out in the open, I'm really tired because I have'nt been getting much sleep. :\
You haven't lost the information, Smashboards recently did a reformat on how events are handled within the forum software, which (foolishly) destroyed that information in all threads created previously. I've set up a new thread here.

EzraHuntings

Smash Rookie
You haven't lost the information, Smashboards recently did a reformat on how events are handled within the forum software, which (foolishly) destroyed that information in all threads created previously. I've set up a new thread here.
Oooh, okay. Thank you so much!

Top Bottom