• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese only Characters you'd want in Smash

Koopaul

Smash Champion
One of things I loved about Melee was that it introduced the formerly Japan only franchise Fire Emblem to the Western world. Many people were completely unaware of this series existence until Melee. Having trophies from Japanese games helped to (but lets be honest, sadly very few people look at that those things) Brawl gave us Assist Trophies like Stafy and characters like Lucas too.

I think it's wonderful how Smash gives characters and series from Japan a chance to shine in the West.

So I'm interested in knowing, what Japan only character/franchise would you like to see in Smash? As a fighter, or Assist, or whatever.

(I'm not sure if TakamaruTakamaru counts anymore)

Please share!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Goku from Yuyuki, mostly just to troll the Dragon Ball Z fanboys. :troll:

And no, Takamaru doesn't really count anymore since his game had been released internationally though the 3DS Virtual Console.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
OHHH BOY!
Here we go!

Really Want:
Goku from Yuyuki
Donbe and Hikari from Shin Onigashima
Lip from Panel de Pon
Captain Rainbow

Somewhat Want:
Demille from Tomato Adventure
Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club
Prince Sable

Eh Maybe:
Masked Man (I like the idea of Porky better but Masked Man is cool)

There's probably more that I'm forgetting.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Donbe and Hikari from Shin Onigashima would be neat.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Prince of Sable, Takamaru and Sukapon were my trinity of JP-only reps, so I'm glad 2/3 got in as ATs. Also very glad we got Lucas back. It's a real shame some of these characters didn't come to the West, I think they'd have much higher priority if they did.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would have Barbara on my list, however one of her games was released in Europe! Still pretty sad for us Americans.

Captain Rainbow is up there for me along with Donbe and Hikari.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Spoilers; he's also in Melee. And Smash 4. And Project M. And Fates. And possibly SMTXFE maybe.

Guess he's not Japanese only at all. My whole vote is a farce.
You might want to scratch SMTxFE out since they confirmed that only Shadow Dragon and Awakening characters will be in the game.

I know, it's a major shame since he would have fit in very well and there are currently no news to support that the game will be compatible with Amiibos.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think minor roles and cameos should count as appearing in the West. If so then Donbe and Hikari appearing in Kirby's Dreamland 3 would mean those characters are not really Japan only.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Captain Rainbow is the only one that springs to mind, because a friend of mine really wants him.

D

Deleted member

Prince of Sable: this is one character that @BluePikmin11 introduced me, and i am thankfull for it.
Lip: Poor little fairy girl. she doesn't get the respect she deserves.
Ayuma Tachibana: I could make a Dectective Conan reference here but i can't come up with anything good.
Captain Rainbow: 'Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There aren't many iconic Japan-only characters left. I'd rather just have Takamaru and then focus on adding international characters... of course, half of them would be more popular in Japan and the other half would be more popular in the West.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well the point, I think, is to introduce more characters that Westerners would otherwise never know or hear of.

Think of it as their big break!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There isn't anyone I want really badly.....but Lip and Sukapon are the first two characters who come to mind.

They'd probably also be considered retro characters though, I can't think of a modern Japanese exclusive character I have any interest in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well the point, I think, is to introduce more characters that Westerners would otherwise never know or hear of.

Think of it as their big break!
Isn't that like the secondary purpose of Assist Trophies?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Lip, Captain Rainbow, Barbara the Bat, and Saki from Sin and Punishment. Don't know if the last two still count as Japan-only.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
If Ayumi Tachibana were to get in I'd love to see her have a gimmick like Phoenix Wright in mvc3 centered around finding clues.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
As of now, Kumatora totally counts. And Masked Man. *cough*Duster*cough*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nobody really even notices Assist Trophies it seems.
People notice Assist Trophies when they happen to be their wanted characters. :ohwell: Anyone remember the deconfirmed cemetery? :c

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight is the first one who comes to mind. I think it would be a nice throwback to have the main character of a traditional fighting game that was made by Nintendo get added to Smash Bros.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Donbe & Hikari with a moveset that's all about lampooning Japanese Mythology.

And have Hikari have an infinite jab that's the return of the Paper Fan item.

Please and thank you

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Donbe & Hikari with a moveset that's all about lampooning Japanese Mythology.

And have Hikari have an infinite jab that's the return of the Paper Fan item.

Please and thank you
Do you actually have a moveset for the two? I'd love to see it (post it in the support thread). If you don't its fine. Just trying to find more things to use in my wip moveset for them.
People notice Assist Trophies when they happen to be their wanted characters. :ohwell: Anyone remember the deconfirmed cemetery? :c
Left a scar for me. Top 2 most wanted, Ridley and Samurai Goroh got buried along with my boi Tingle.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Do you actually have a moveset for the two? I'd love to see it (post it in the support thread). If you don't its fine. Just trying to find more things to use in my wip moveset for them.

Left a scar for me. Top 2 most wanted, Ridley and Samurai Goroh got buried along with my boi Tingle.
Nah.... slipped my memory during that 2 month absence I had.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yes, when its a popular and requested character, people notice Assist Trophies. But a character they never heard of? Or a character they never really cared about? Will an Assist make them care about that character? No.

Look at all the people who now love Wii Fit Trainer simply because she is playable. Do you think Wii Fit Trainer would have achieved such a following if she was just an Assist?

Look at all the fan art and love this character gets that she never had before.

Being a playable character means the world! It can make an unknown/unloved character into a star!

Last edited:
Top Bottom