• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iwata Explains Why America and Europe Have to Wait Until 2015 for New Nintendo 3DS

the8thark

Smash Lord
Iwata Explains Why America and Europe Have to Wait Until 2015 for New Nintendo 3DS
"When it comes to the overseas markets, we do not plan to launch New Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL for the U.S. or Europe this year. Additionally, there are only a couple of big titles, 'Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS,' and 'Pokémon Omega Ruby' and 'Pokémon Alpha Sapphire,' overseas as no 'YOKAI WATCH' franchises or 'Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate' will be scheduled this year there. Based on these observations, some might wonder if, apart from the domestic market, the sales of Nintendo 3DS will really be able to gain momentum in the overseas markets.

The overseas markets are different from the Japanese market in both their stages of popularization of Nintendo 3DS and their market characteristics. The stage of popularization of Nintendo 3DS means the degree to which we have turned potential purchasing power into actual sales of the product in a market. In Japan, the total number of sales of Nintendo 3DS has reached nearly 17 million in the three and a half years since its launch. It is almost the same as the lifetime sales of GameBoy Advance released in 2001, which implies that it is reasonable that the sales of Nintendo 3DS have been temporarily slow moving in the Japanese market. This is one of the reasons we needed to bring New Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL to the market this year. To the contrary, neither of the cumulative sales figures of Nintendo 3DS in the U.S. nor Europe is more than that in Japan despite, based on the historical performance, bigger sales potential. In short, Nintendo 3DS is still at an earlier stage of popularization in these two markets.

Also, the difference in market characteristics shows up in the software sales pace. In the Japanese market, both hardware and software tend to sell during a short period along with a quick spread of information on them. In the U.S. and Europe, on the other hand, highly acclaimed games are likely to be longtime sellers."
Source:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/02.html (The full official document)
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/iwata-...to-wait-until-2015-for-new-ninte#.VFKGKYcaW8U (random game fansite that plucked out the spefcific quote from the full document to share with us)

Says nothing why Australia gets the new 3DS early. Just talks about Japan.[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
You know, that actually does make a lot of sense.

Guess I'll wait a little bit on the New 3DS.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Gives me time to save money for that since I'm going broke this Christmas with getting a PS3, new games, and recording equipment all at once this year :crazy:

finalark

SNORLAX
I really don't have any issue with them taking their time getting it over here. I'm more disappointed that New 3DS-enabled games aren't compatible with the circle pad pro, which kind of screws over all of the international players and everyone who bought one.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I really don't have any issue with them taking their time getting it over here. I'm more disappointed that New 3DS-enabled games aren't compatible with the circle pad pro, which kind of screws over all of the international players and everyone who bought one.
It does suck, but its also kinda understandable since Circle Pad Pro, for those who dont know, actually takes a big chuck of 3DS's CPU to work, 5% to be exact. Smash already is already overpowering the regular 3DS version and has to compensate by turning off a lot of the internal software like Miiverse and what not. The New 3DS games are made with extra power of the console in mind, so again, kinda sucks, but its understandable.

Also, a side note: New 3DS XL apparenly works much faster than the regular New 3DS, which already works realy fast, so thats something to keep in mind as well.

Top Bottom