• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's time to catch air.....and some waves! 1080° and Wave Race for SSB4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This time around, I'd like to actually make TWO threads in the sense that they actually seem to essentially share the same universe, but I'll get into that later. So here it is, the Wave Race and 1080° for SSB4!

Introduction
Wave Race is a personal watercraft racing game made by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo. These games are fairly simple in the fact that the player controls a jet skier around a water track, and sometimes, the player must race through different weather conditions on a variety of different courses.
Well, why would Wave Race need a character for Smash?
Well, I'm not saying they need a playable character from Wave Race. I'm just thinking it could be an interesting idea to explore. Also, before anyone starts telling me, "But no one from Wave Race has even been seen off of their vehicles!", People, may I present Exhibit A-

That's right, don't forget, Captain Falcon has never been seen out of his car (except on special occasions) so who's to say that Wave Race could not have a character off their jet-ski? Don't forget, according to quite a multitude of hints and implications, in the world of Super Smash Bros., anything can happen.
Well, okay...But what would a Wave Race character even do?
Well, I'm glad you asked! I envision a Wave Race character to be somewhat a cross between (and bear with me on this.) Captain Falcon and.....Squirtle. Now, hear me out. I know it sounds strange, but I was going to say imagine Capt. Falcon with "water" properties instead of fire. Let me point out right now, however, that I do NOT think they should be a clone of Captain Falcon and borrow all his moves. All I'm saying is that I think they should imitate the "fire" effect gimmick and replace it with water for Wave Race character. They could even use their jet-ski to ram into someone or even summon a small, medium, or large wave to attack their opponents. Maybe their Final Smash could calling in the other Wave Racers to ride onto the stage and ram into characters or simply summon a colossal wave to sweep their opponents away. (Kind of a mix between Mario's F.L.U.D.D and Isaac's effect as an AT in Brawl.

Now, on to the second-half of this universe...

Introduction

1080° is a snowboard racing video game developed and published by Nintendo and the game essentially involves the player choosing a snowboarder and ski down large mountains, all the while using a combination of buttons to jump and/or perform high-flying tricks in mid-air.

Okay, now why would 1080° deserve a character in Smash?
Well, similar to what I said earlier about Wave Race, 1080° would have a character that would be another combo of Capt. Falcon and the Ice Climbers, once again in the sense that a 1080° character would have "freeze" effects on their opponents and use their snowboard to ram into others or even swing their snowboard into others. Their Final Smash could be summoning a colossal snow avalanche and freezing everyone on the stage, immobilizing them for a while.

In closing....
I know that neither of these series would a real chance to be in Smash 4, but when you think about it, Sakurai has said that he would like to add unique characters to Smash, so why not someone from Wave Race and/or 1080°?

Wave Race's Raging Water Racers
smashkirby
jigglover
Marakatu

1080°'s Super Snowboarders
smashkirby

Wave Race's Raging Water Racers AND 1080°'s Super Snowboarders
smashkirby

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
I would be all for a Wave Race character in Super Smash Bros. I had their game on the GameCube, and it was actually a lot of fun; one of my favourite games I owned at the time I believe, along with games like Eggo Mania, Pokémon Colosseum and Super Mario Sunshine, it was right up there with the rest of them. I would have made a thread about one of their characters sooner... but I really don't know enough about them! :D

Still, add me to the supporters. I think a jetskier would be interesting.

I don't care at all about 1080° though, so I don't support them rn!

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Wave Race 64 is one of my favorite games ever. I wouldn't mind seeing a Captain Falcon clone with water-based moves.
And the idea of briefly flooding the stage with water and racers would be great for a Excitebiker-esque assist trophy.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wow! You guys are almost making me cry with the good reception this thread is getting! Also, if I was giving my opinion, I'd have to say from Wave Race, I'd specifically want Ryota Hayami and from 1080°, either Akari Hayami or Kensuke Kimachi. These guys, basically:
Ryota Hayami (Wave Race)
Akari Hayami (1080°) and.....
Kensuke Kimachi (1080°)

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
If I could find my Smash Bros. roster, I actually thought Ricky Winterborn stood a good shot (if I'm not mistaken, he's been in both Wave Race and 1080). I don't think it's out of the question at all. These games were huge on the N64 and despite only appearing on that system and the GameCube, they still have quite a following.

(Between Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac, Nintendo would really be promoting a healthy, exercise-filled lifestyle. ;))

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If I could find my Smash Bros. roster, I actually thought Ricky Winterborn stood a good shot (if I'm not mistaken, he's been in both Wave Race and 1080). I don't think it's out of the question at all. These games were huge on the N64 and despite only appearing on that system and the GameCube, they still have quite a following.

(Between Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac, Nintendo would really be promoting a healthy, exercise-filled lifestyle. ;))
If I remember correctly, I think Akari Hayami (Ryota Hayami's little sister) was in both games as well.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would 1080 and Wave Racer's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Hey guys, according to this list, how would 1080 and Wave Racer's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
After throughly playing Wave and 1080, I say Zoner.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I guess so. It would be smart as the point of the game is to catch speed... or how I play it and just rush down the hills at tremendous speed.
I would think that Bruisers and Resistors would give these guys the most trouble when it comes to fights.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

1080°- I imagine someone from this to be a Bruiser with Zoner properties by help of their snowboards to whack others with and also I picture 1080° to have characters using freeze properties in their moveset, (just Captain Falcon being "fire-themed", or more appropriately, similar to the Ice Climbers' "ice abilities) so they can do things such as summon mini-blizzards to hinder their opponents' fighting styles and keep them in one place in a block of ice while the 1080° character were to just rack up damage on them from there. Don't forget, this IS Super Smash Bros., where just about ANYTHING can/seems to happen, you know. Heck, Captain Falcon's never been seen out of his car, let alone do the superhuman feats of strength he displays in these games.

Wave Race- Now this series was a little bit more difficult for me to figure out, (For some strange reason.) but I'd probably have to go with Speedster with Ranger properties, in the sense where once their opponent is kept at bay, the Wave Race character could rush at them with different attacks, mostly I picture them using their jet-skis to rush at you amazing speed while doing substantial knockback and also use/summon things such as a large wave of water to push you around, not doing any damage, but it would be very effective on edgeguarding and knock you off the stage. (Overall, it would seem like a stronger version of Mario's F.L.U.D.D.) Yes, while I know, once again, that Wave Race characters cannot normally do these things, remember what I said earlier about Captain Falcon and 1080°, and Wave Race is no different. Again, this is Super Smash Bros. is a series where even Capt. Falcon can do things he (probably and/or most likely) never could do in his own games. Heck, the guy's never (or at least, rarely) even seen out of his car, for goodness' sakes!

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
I was JUST thinking about these two games, and how we haven't had games in at least a decade, and how they'd make great stages for Smash Bros. (like Port Town Aero Dive, but snow/trees/rocks/buildings being stage hazards, and racers speeding by)! Did a search on here, and I didn't even think to consider playable characters! They'd have to be characters with as much presence and charisma as Captain Falcon, even if none of them have really been seen outside the context of racing. It could work.

I'm much bigger on 1080° than Wave Race, but I like both, and any kind of representation either game could get in Smash Bros. would be great in reviving both franchises. Clearly Wii Fit's snowboarding on the Wii Balance Board and Wii Sports Resort's jet skiing with the Wii MotionPlus wasn't enough inspiration for them.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Here's a moveset I made for a thread quite similar to this:

Possible Moveset:
Akari does not fight just on her snowboard. She usually stands with her snowboard like so:

She swings around the snowboard for normal attacks and ride it for special attacks, as well as certain other attacks.

Special Moveset:
Neutral: Melancholy - Getting on her board, Akari does an ollie while standing (jump while on snowboard). She does not move forward, and does very little damage, but it allows her other three specials and certain aerial attacks to do more damage while standing. Can be performed in air for a small recovery, not left in recovery stare.

Forward: Slide - Akari gets on her board. At this point, the move can be charged to do more damage. When released, Akari moves straight forward across the stage, sliding across the ground. In the air, it has less range, but she still moves forward with a slight descent. This can also be use for recovery, but leaves her in a recovery state.

Up: 1080 - While standing, Akari will get on her board and do a handplant. She will let go of the ground and do a 1080 spin, which causes Akari to hover without moving up. This does sizble damage and works like Link's swordspin. After the spin, she does a hand plant, and then moves back to her default stance.

While in the Melancholy state or while in the air, Akari will jump on to her board and point it upward. She will do a 1080 spin and will helicopter her upward. This move has the same damage properties on the ground, but can also be used for recovery. If Akari does a Melancholy before the 1080, Akari will also helicopter higher up. This move in the air leaves her in a recovery state.

Down: Grab - While standing, the move is really poor. Akari simply jumps on her board while standing and grabs the front of the board, doing a very small amount of damage. It's really fast though, so it can be useful.

While in the Melancholy state or while in the air, Akari will jump on to her board and do a different grab depending on which direction you point. Point down forward will do a nose grab, pointing down middle will do a mute grab, and pointing down back will do a tail grab. the tail grab does the most damage, the forward grab is the fastest, and down middle is the balance. After this move, provided your still in the air, you can perform up to 2 more tricks while in the air. With the second move, you can do method, shifty, and indy, respectively, and the third moves gives you tweak, stiffy, and stalefish. The damage progressively increases.

Final Smash:
Avalanche:

A giant snow avalanche falls on all foes on the left side of stage. It remains there and highly damages opponents. Only Akari can walk across the stage without being damaged, so she can pick of her foes one by one.
Another variation of this would be for the avalanche to simple be a wave damaging move that knocks backs all the opponents. Akari will be riding down the avalanche as it crushes her opponents.

ChristianPonte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChristianPonte
Interesting ideas. Does she need to physically get on board for all of that, though? I feel like that'd limit her movement on the various stages. It'd be like if Captain Falcon had to get in a car every time you pressed "B"... So I think maybe if her specials were ice attacks of some sort, maybe using the snowboard as a two-handed weapon for some of them, that would be more practical. And then for the final smash, she can summon an actual avalanche that causes a mountain on a random side of the stage (like Ice Climbers but bigger) and freezes everyone it touches, as she snowboards down the mountain (sneaking in a 1080!), KOing anyone caught in the ice.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would like to see Ricky Winterborn.. He could represent both series and utilize both snow and water gimmicks into his moveset.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Interesting ideas. Does she need to physically get on board for all of that, though? I feel like that'd limit her movement on the various stages. It'd be like if Captain Falcon had to get in a car every time you pressed "B"... So I think maybe if her specials were ice attacks of some sort, maybe using the snowboard as a two-handed weapon for some of them, that would be more practical. And then for the final smash, she can summon an actual avalanche that causes a mountain on a random side of the stage (like Ice Climbers but bigger) and freezes everyone it touches, as she snowboards down the mountain (sneaking in a 1080!), KOing anyone caught in the ice.
No, she walks and runs carrying her board unless she does her specials. Her smashes and a attacks mainly consist of her hitting people with her board. In my mind its a high risk, high reward scenario. She is more powerful on the board, but harder to control.

The final smash lists that as a variation.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I never payed attention to this thread until now. A wave race character that's a falcon x squirtle type character sounds so bizarre but hype at the same time. Sign me up.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
hey everyone! Akari Hayami is up next on Rate Their Chances! Predict how she'll do and rate her later today! I'm going to have a longer argument prepared for the Snow Princess of Waves.

My argument is up. Please add your opinions as well!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom