• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, it is Sakurai and IIRC he has already talked like Mewtwo is a special case and that no other character DLC is planned.

But... again, it is Sakurai. The guy who says after every Super Smash Bros. game that he will not be making another one. So we can't really trust him. lol
Is that so? Got any other reasons why that is the case?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Is that so? Got any other reasons why that is the case?
Not sure what exactly you're asking?

It's just that shortly after Mewtwo was released, Sakurai released statements clarifying that Mewtwo is a very special case and that there weren't any plans for further character DLC. (although "no further plans" is not as certain as "we aren't doing it", but would they ever even be that specific?)

Granted, it's been a while since I saw exactly what was said, but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not sure what exactly you're asking?

It's just that shortly after Mewtwo was released, Sakurai released statements clarifying that Mewtwo is a very special case and that there weren't any plans for further character DLC. (although "no further plans" is not as certain as "we aren't doing it", but would they ever even be that specific?)

Granted, it's been a while since I saw exactly what was said, but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of it.
He means why do you think Sakurai might not be lying again

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, as I said in my above post "no further plans" might be a PR way of saying "We're not doing it".

Plus, with Mewtwo maybe it was really a special case, maybe he was really preparing Mewtwo and felt so bad that he got left out of Brawl (because it is a fact that he was one of the chosen ones, but didn't get completed), that this time he felt right had to be done.

Still... I don't know why Mewtwo wouldn't have prioritized over Doctor Mario and Dark Pit if that were really the case... Some weird things here.

Either way, it most certainly isn't time to give up hope. But it also isn't time to put all of your hopes and dreams in the thought of further character DLC. Nintendo has always been all about baby steps. Although character DLC maybe a guaranteed success, Nintendo just likes to...lag behind for some reason. =/

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Exactly!

Well, as I said in my above post "no further plans" might be a PR way of saying "We're not doing it".

Plus, with Mewtwo maybe it was really a special case, maybe he was really preparing Mewtwo and felt so bad that he got left out of Brawl (because it is a fact that he was one of the chosen ones, but didn't get completed), that this time he felt right had to be done.

Still... I don't know why Mewtwo wouldn't have prioritized over Doctor Mario and Dark Pit if that were really the case... Some weird things here.

Either way, it most certainly isn't time to give up hope. But it also isn't time to put all of your hopes and dreams in the thought of further character DLC. Nintendo has always been all about baby steps. Although character DLC maybe a guaranteed success, Nintendo just likes to...lag behind for some reason. =/
I understand. Though I am hopeful, I am going to be reasonable about things and not completely assume that more DLC will happen until I see some kind of sign, from Sakurai or otherwise, that it will. Until then, I still have hope.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ Bassoonist Bassoonist 's got it right, Sakurai did indeed say that they have no plans for future DLC beyond Mewtwo. That being said, he shortly thereafter said that Mewtwo may act as a "springboard" for DLC, depending on how he sells. So he's basically covering all of his bases by saying nothing substantial at all.

In essence, his basic sentiment is, "We can safely say that we're not not rejecting the idea yet maybe ooh look shiny Mewtwo everybody lookit Mewtwo okay we'll see perhaps sort of sure why not."

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Saying you have no plans for future DLC is a bit of a diversion. It's not a denial of DLC, it's a denial of current plans for DLC.

It's all about the words.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Saying you have no plans for future DLC is a bit of a diversion. It's not a denial of DLC, it's a denial of current plans for DLC.

It's all about the words.
I understand it could very well mean that, but I also think it could go the other way around. Because would a developer ever come out in a clearer way of saying "We're not doing DLC"?

So, really, it could go either way. But Wintropy's mention of Sakurai using Mewtwo DLC to gauge interest in further character DLC certainly leads credence to it being the first, so here's to hoping!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

According to me, the factor that will most likely hinder the chances of DLC is Sakurai himself.

The guy works himself to the ground, tries to handle all major stuff himself and he himself has said that the final decision is his regarding the game as well as character inclusion. I think he also rejected a character for Brawl because he found it uninteresting or not properly workable or something, not quite sure about that.

Plus he has been wanting to leave Smash Development since Melee. So if he says no to further DLC, Nintendo may not force him to make DLC.

But I do think that the earlier statement of no plans for DLC probably meant current "plans" and not any future plans. You know as a safe statement to say that no characters were held back for DLC and Mewtwo is a special case.

With a few months down the line, they can easily say that DLC is now being added and the Mewtwo experiment was a success (I don't doubt its success at all).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I understand it could very well mean that, but I also think it could go the other way around. Because would a developer ever come out in a clearer way of saying "We're not doing DLC"?

So, really, it could go either way. But Wintropy's mention of Sakurai using Mewtwo DLC to gauge interest in further character DLC certainly leads credence to it being the first, so here's to hoping!
Is there much point in discussing it though?

It just seems like a long winded way of saying we don't know what's going to happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a hard time imagining a single character could be any more than ten dollars. Between five and ten is my guess.

I could see a pack of two going for like $14.99. Maybe with a stage or two as well.
I see the Mewtwo individual release being $4.99.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@ Bassoonist Bassoonist 's got it right, Sakurai did indeed say that they have no plans for future DLC beyond Mewtwo. That being said, he shortly thereafter said that Mewtwo may act as a "springboard" for DLC, depending on how he sells. So he's basically covering all of his bases by saying nothing substantial at all.

In essence, his basic sentiment is, "We can safely say that we're not not rejecting the idea yet maybe ooh look shiny Mewtwo everybody lookit Mewtwo okay we'll see perhaps sort of sure why not."
What Sakurai said is that Mewtwo "is an experiment meant to act as a foothold in content distribution."

Take that as you will.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
There's also the option that more DLC is being developed as we speak.

I read somewhere that in this thread that Sakurai has no more planks for DLC, however, what if he has more DLC plans besides Mewtwo...

Also, I haven't checked all that there was said here, so my statment might not be correct.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Good news, Sakurai has a announcement when the Mewtwo dlc is released.

I had enough of this, I went over Sakurai's head, get ready guys because Isaac is now guaranteed to be in Super Smash Bros, that announcement is more dlc characters, and Isaac is one of them.

This is all because I went over Sakurai's head for this game, I went to God and asked him to put Isaac in, and because I did that, we're getting Isaac, you can't defy God, his power is almighty, we're getting Isaac and there is nothing that can deny Isaac getting in Super Smash Bros because that will be defying God.

Last edited:
Good news, Sakurai has a announcement when the Mewtwo dlc is released.

I had enough of this, I went over Sakurai's head, get ready guys because Isaac is now guaranteed to be in Super Smash Bros, that announcement is more dlc characters, and Isaac is one of them.

This is all because I went over Sakurai's head for this game, I went to God and asked him to put Isaac in, and because I did that, we're getting Isaac, you can't defy God, his power is almighty, we're getting Isaac and there is nothing that can deny Isaac getting in Super Smash Bros because that will be defying God.
:4shulk:. just saying

also if god gave you a wish and you asked for Isaac that is kind of selfish man. RIP many many people

I guess this is my first post here isn't it? I on;y recently started goldensun because of Club Nintendo shutting down. While I hate silent protagonists I can see how absurd his moveset potential is. Plus his design is pretty darn neat.

D

Deleted member

:4shulk:. just saying

also if god gave you a wish and you asked for Isaac that is kind of selfish man. RIP many many people

I guess this is my first post here isn't it? I on;y recently started goldensun because of Club Nintendo shutting down. While I hate silent protagonists I can see how absurd his moveset potential is. Plus his design is pretty darn neat.
Selfish, yes. But, there have been more absurd approaches.

He's only silent in the first Golden Sun. For some strange reason, they are stark traditionalists towards the characters that the player controls on the world map not really being able to say anything besides "Yes" or "No", although Matthew got some extra words in his vocabulary. I mention this because Felix, whom the first game sort of establishes as a villain (even though the Wise One does pardon him at the beginning), is the main character of the Lost Age, and doesn't speak until after the end of the game (besides an infamous translation error), although he does talk here.

If at the very least, even if you aren't keen on Golden Sun's traditionalism towards old RPGs, you have to appreciate the vast moveset possibilities that await Isaac. To me, it's sort of one of the missed opportunities because there are several fighters in Smash Bros. that required a lot of thinking and planning as how to properly incorporate them (Um... Wii Fit Trainer must be fit, right, and they like to exercise while playing sports, and Duck Hunt Dog... didn't do much in his game, but what if he could, you know, represent more of those Zapper games from the 80s), while Isaac is one where the moveset fundamentals are there, as well as intricate explorations. As long as you don't limit him to just being another swordsman, you won't upset people.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
I think the best Isaac ratio would be 40% sword; 60% Psyenergy, not only that, his moveset potential is ridiculously high, so he can have different types of Psyenergy as his customs instead of variations.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the best Isaac ratio would be 25% sword 75% psynergy. The psynergy has a ton to work with and is really what sets him apart, the sword... not so much.

I'd only involve the sword with some basic attacks and the iconic little lunge-y jump he does.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the best Isaac ratio would be 25% sword 75% psynergy. The psynergy has a ton to work with and is really what sets him apart, the sword... not so much.

I'd only involve the sword with some basic attacks and the iconic little lunge-y jump he does.
Agreed. An ideal Isaac would hardly use his sword at all, and also ideally, I'd say he should fight two-handed, too. Naturally this would require him to have his sword on his back and only use it during specific attacks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ideally Isaac's sword attacks should have those special powers like in-game Stone Justice, Dream tide and those.

:231:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think the best Isaac ratio would be 40% sword; 60% Psyenergy, not only that, his moveset potential is ridiculously high, so he can have different types of Psyenergy as his customs instead of variations.
Personally I'd have the ratio even lower than that. Maybe 20% sword, 80% psynergy. There's a lot of psynergy he can use and I'd hate to see that potential get eaten up by swinging a sword around.

I wouldn't mind if Isaac had a weapon unleash he could activate with his sword though.

If Isaac makes it on to the roster I hope Sakurai will play to his strengths. He has an advantage other sword users don't have, he doesn't really rely on his sword to be dangerous.

Does Sakurai actually have an announcement to make when Mewtwo is released, or did AgatioGanon make that up?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, considering how Zelda Wii U won't be part of E3 this year, that doesn't leave a whole lot for Nintendo to talk about. Star Fox U and Xenoblade X are probably it for right now.

Hopefully, Smash DLC will be the great placater.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, considering how Zelda Wii U won't be part of E3 this year, that doesn't leave a whole lot for Nintendo to talk about. Star Fox U and Xenoblade X are probably it for right now.

some ones forgotten about surprise reveals and miyamto's other projects

D

Deleted member

Oh, yeah, but I'm talking about short-term things for people to be interested in. I mean, are they working on another Mario platformer that's different from 3D World?

I... kinda live under a rock sometimes.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally I'd have the ratio even lower than that. Maybe 20% sword, 80% psynergy. There's a lot of psynergy he can use and I'd hate to see that potential get eaten up by swinging a sword around.

I wouldn't mind if Isaac had a weapon unleash he could activate with his sword though.

If Isaac makes it on to the roster I hope Sakurai will play to his strengths. He has an advantage other sword users don't have, he doesn't really rely on his sword to be dangerous.

Does Sakurai actually have an announcement to make when Mewtwo is released, or did AgatioGanon make that up?
In one moveset I wrote, Isaac uses his sword for only four attacks. Everything else is pure psynergy. For his jab, which is a traditional 3-hit combo, Isaac hits the opponent twice with telekinetic force by thrusting his palm at them, then for the final hit draws his sword and performs a descending vertical slash. For his dash attack, Isaac performs his signature leap attack. The other two times he uses his sword, the attack is combined with magick.

And as for Mewtwo's release, all I know is that Mewtwo's developement is "pretty much done" and that he will be relesed very soon (source). I don't know anything about an announcement or reveal trailer. Though, I fancy it's safe to say we'll get an official release date sometime after 31 March--maybe during April or at E3.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't doubt we'll get some of that, because we always do, but without Zelda, and with Nintendo focusing on 2015 this E3, I still think it's probably going to be on the lighter side content-wise.

I swear if Mario Maker becomes the replacement to Zelda as Nintendo's big holiday title.... *grumbles*

Oh, yeah, but I'm talking about short-term things for people to be interested in. I mean, are they working on another Mario platformer that's different from 3D World?

I... kinda live under a rock sometimes.
EAD Tokyo is working on something, but a while back they said... well I forget exactly what the statement was, but it made me suspect they had shifted development of the next 3D Mario platformer to the Wii U's successor. Which I still strongly believe.

I think there's even a chance Zelda Wii U might go the TP route and launch on the successor as well.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Xenoblade X will already be out in Japan, so it won't be all that exciting to showcase as a centerpiece product. I'm sure Nintendo has a few tricks up it's sleeve. I would love a new Golden Sun, and I have a strong suspision we will see a new Punch-Out, possibly for the 3DS.

Let's not forget that Zelda will likely get some attention, or was it explicitly said they won't show it at E3? I know the release was pushed back, but I don't recall any official talk of the game skipping E3. Yoshi's Wooly World, Fire Emblem, and Mario Maker will likely show up as well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Xenoblade X will already be out in Japan, so it won't be all that exciting to showcase as a centerpiece product. I'm sure Nintendo has a few tricks up it's sleeve. I would love a new Golden Sun, and I have a strong suspision we will see a new Punch-Out, possibly for the 3DS.

Let's not forget that Zelda will likely get some attention, or was it explicitly said they won't show it at E3? I know the release was pushed back, but I don't recall any official talk of the game skipping E3. Yoshi's Wooly World, Fire Emblem, and Mario Maker will likely show up as well.
It's been years since the last Punch-Out!!! game. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a new one within the next couple of years consideirng how successful the last game was.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's been years since the last Punch-Out!!! game. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a new one within the next couple of years considering how successful the last game was.
Little Mac has been extremely well received in Smash 4 as well, which really raises his profile. This is especially true in Japan, a region where he has traditionally not been a big draw. Seeing as Punch-Out games are relatively easy to make (and that the last game was a million seller,) I would be truly surprised if Nintendo had not green lit a new game by now.

I honestly think Isaac would have a sword to "magic" breakdown that is similar to Robins, although I would hope that most of his smash attacks would use psynergy. I would put money on his tilts and the majority of his aerials being sword based, though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I'd be very surprised if we didn't get any new announcements, but I am expecting the show to be primarily about stuff we already know. I just have to wonder what Nintendo is planning to use as their big holiday game now that Zelda is out of the picture.

And at least we'll finally get a gosh darn Star Fox trailer. :p

Oh and I think they did confirm Zelda wouldn't be at E3 in any capacity. Zelda Wii U I mean.

It's been years since the last Punch-Out!!! game. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a new one within the next couple of years consideirng how successful the last game was.
Little Mac has been extremely well received in Smash 4 as well, which really raises his profile. This is especially true in Japan, a region where he has traditionally not been a big draw. Seeing as Punch-Out games are relatively easy to make (and that the last game was a million seller,) I would be truly surprised if Nintendo had not green lit a new game by now.
Well Next Level Games did say they were working on a Wii U title iirc.

Personally I'd rather have something other than Punch-Out, but if that was what they were working on, I wouldn't complain.

Isaac DLC, Golden Sun 4 and New Punch-out.

Brawl ATs brofist.
And **** you to the other 25, amirite? :troll:

I'd love a new Custom Robo game. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom