• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Oh, then that'd probably be way easier to balance. It seems unnecessary however, IMO. If Isaac should have any form of gimmick, I'd prefer Djinn. Its just weird to me to switch between four people.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh, then that'd probably be way easier to balance. It seems unnecessary however, IMO. If Isaac should have any form of gimmick, I'd prefer Djinn. Its just weird to me to switch between four people.
I know I just feel like Golden Sun doesn't really have just one main character. Everyone is pretty much the main character. That, combined with the focus on four distinct Djinn and elements, seems to suggest that having them all represented somehow is a good idea. Maybe have Isaac change Djinn at will and use other elements. It doesn't follow canon, but it'd be an easier to rep the crucial elements of the franchise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know, has anyone considered a swap-out system with four separate adepts? Let's not forget that Golden Sun was rooted in FOUR elements. Isaac represents only one. How about a switch system where all four adepts can come in and fight? They can all share A moves, just with different elemental properties and specials. That would take full advantage of Golden Sun's story and characters.
Well it would be a good way of representing the game, but it's just much too unlikely. It would be much too time consuming to make four different sets of specials and everything when Isaac himself really has the potential to be able to represent all four elements. Plus, giving GS four characters honestly is more than it merits, even if they would be like half-characters. It would take away from development of other characters or aspects of the game. So yeah, would be ideal for GS representation, but it's just wishful thinking.

I know I just feel like Golden Sun doesn't really have just one main character. Everyone is pretty much the main character. That, combined with the focus on four distinct Djinn and elements, seems to suggest that having them all represented somehow is a good idea. Maybe have Isaac change Djinn at will and use other elements. It doesn't follow canon, but it'd be an easier to rep the crucial elements of the franchise.
I disagree about the lack of one main character. Really GS follows most RPGs in that there is a party who all get fair representation in the game, but Isaac/Felix/Matthew respectively are clearly the main characters, and Isaac is clearly the face of the series. You wouldn't say Cloud isn't the main FF7 character, Shulk isn't the main Xenoblade character, or Crono isn't the main Chrono Trigger character, as examples.

Different Djinn is a good compromise instead of different adepts with different specials though. It's more likely, plus it serves the function of representing all elements.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well it would be a good way of representing the game, but it's just much too unlikely. It would be much too time consuming to make four different sets of specials and everything when Isaac himself really has the potential to be able to represent all four elements. Plus, giving GS four characters honestly is more than it merits, even if they would be like half-characters. It would take away from development of other characters or aspects of the game. So yeah, would be ideal for GS representation, but it's just wishful thinking.

I disagree about the lack of one main character. Really GS follows most RPGs in that there is a party who all get fair representation in the game, but Isaac/Felix/Matthew respectively are clearly the main characters, and Isaac is clearly the face of the series. You wouldn't say Cloud isn't the main FF7 character, Shulk isn't the main Xenoblade character, or Crono isn't the main Chrono Trigger character, as examples.

Different Djinn is a good compromise instead of different adepts with different specials though. It's more likely, plus it serves the function of representing all elements.
Isaac is definitely the MAIN character. But he's nowhere near as MAIN of a character as Cloud. Cloud dominates the entire story and is the only character who can never be switched out of the party unless the story merits it. I suppose the idea is that all four are supposed to be significant, but Isaac is just a bit more significant. I know 4 reps doesn't seem warranted by a small second party series, but hey, if they can find a way to represent all four, it would be the IDEAL. Definitely not the expectation of course.

That said, I think it should be more likely to see all four adepts representing Camelot than Waluigi.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Isaac is definitely the MAIN character. But he's nowhere near as MAIN of a character as Cloud. Cloud dominates the entire story and is the only character who can never be switched out of the party unless the story merits it. I suppose the idea is that all four are supposed to be significant, but Isaac is just a bit more significant. I know 4 reps doesn't seem warranted by a small second party series, but hey, if they can find a way to represent all four, it would be the IDEAL. Definitely not the expectation of course.

That said, I think it should be more likely to see all four adepts representing Camelot than Waluigi.
I didn't mean to imply they had equal roles in their game, just that both were clearly the main character. Yeah, to be honest, Isaac is pretty underdeveloped as a lead character for the first game, but then again he's a silent protagonist, so most of them aren't too... deep. ;)

And yeah, your idea is a good way of representing GS, just one that won't happen.

Also, the roster isn't really created to represent the different Nintendo developers, so even though GS and Waluigi were created by the same studio, they really don't have any effect on each other or anything, there isn't really going to be a "Camelot representative". In any case, while Isaac might have better chances than Waluigi, Waluigi has significantly better chances than getting a second GS character, even as a transformation or swapped character.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I didn't mean to imply they had equal roles in their game, just that both were clearly the main character. Yeah, to be honest, Isaac is pretty underdeveloped as a lead character for the first game, but then again he's a silent protagonist, so most of them aren't too... deep. ;)

And yeah, your idea is a good way of representing GS, just one that won't happen.

Also, the roster isn't really created to represent the different Nintendo developers, so even though GS and Waluigi were created by the same studio, they really don't have any effect on each other or anything, there isn't really going to be a "Camelot representative". In any case, while Isaac might have better chances than Waluigi, Waluigi has significantly better chances than getting a second GS character, even as a transformation or swapped character.
Definitely. I was just stating that I would rather see the Golden Sun series more fleshed out than see Waluigi. So if Camelot has to contribute more to Smash, let it be more Golden Sun, in some way, shape or form, than Waluigi.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Definitely. I was just stating that I would rather see the Golden Sun series more fleshed out than see Waluigi. So if Camelot has to contribute more to Smash, let it be more Golden Sun, in some way, shape or form, than Waluigi.
Ah, well in that case, I agree. I think Waluigi fits the role he has now well, when GS has a lot of potential and merit to expand. I think a character, a stage, if we're lucky an AT, and music and trophies would give the series the representation it deserves. And that really is pretty much just the basic amount of content playable series get... (plus the AT, which will be easy to implement if it uses Move again)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope they to realise Golden Sun has enough potential and especially fans to make a long lasting franchise of games. Shame I never got to play Dark Dawn however. I remember being extremely hyped for it.

Really, the only excuse Camelot has for not doing a new Golden Sun is that they're actually gonna make that DK64 sequel. They aren't such a big game studio I think, somthey'll probably take a while to make this. Think easily another 5 years from now...

JPW

Smash Ace
i always thought Alex was the main character.

Alex used every character as pawns in his game to become the one with The Golden Sun. And in Dark Dawn he was doing the same thing. Without Alex there would be no quest.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Alex used every character as pawns in his game to become the one with The Golden Sun. And in Dark Dawn he was doing the same thing. Without Alex there would be no quest.

No.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice

A-are you serious?

JPW

Smash Ace
lol. of course not. Isaac is the face of Golden Sun, and he's cool and has a better chance making the roster than Alex or Felix for that matter.

But to me Alex will always be my favourite. I just have a thing for Villains. Especially the smart ones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Alex was an awesome villain yeah. Hope that his role will continue in the series. And especially, hope that Isaac and he become playable in the next game as extremely powerful Adepts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hope they to realise Golden Sun has enough potential and especially fans to make a long lasting franchise of games. Shame I never got to play Dark Dawn however. I remember being extremely hyped for it.

Really, the only excuse Camelot has for not doing a new Golden Sun is that they're actually gonna make that DK64 sequel. They aren't such a big game studio I think, somthey'll probably take a while to make this. Think easily another 5 years from now...
If GS had started in a different time, preferably in the fourth gen, it really could've rode the wave of popularity RPGs got in the mid-ninties to early aughts, and become a fairly notable and more recurring series (it had the quality to be) instead of just starting at the tail end of the genre's peak (at least in the west). Though I guess for a new IP on a largely unproven system at the time, it did fairly well anyway. And yeah, while not of the same quality as the first two (so expecting such will disappoint you), I found DD to be a fun and worthwhile game. Still not too late to pick it up. ;)

And yeah, personally I think a game the size and scope of a DK64 sequel would really require a studio the size of EAD, EAD Tokyo, Retro, HAL, Intelligent Systems or Monolith to do it justice. At the level of their current output, I doubt Camelot would be able to handle it honestly. Either way, I agree we won't be seeing more than golf from them for at least a few years, even if they do move on to GS4 after this, RPGs are much more time-consuming to develop than golf or tennis.

Alex was an awesome villain yeah. Hope that his role will continue in the series. And especially, hope that Isaac and he become playable in the next game as extremely powerful Adepts.
If Isaac gets into SSB4, I could see them adding him into GS4 afterwards as like a bonus or extra character, or even as a late-into-the-game party addition. Other than that, as awesome as it would be to be able to play as any of the original, now extremely powerful adepts, seems like they're now sticking to the new hit-or-miss adepts. I like Karis though. :grin:
..though they could pull a GS2 and introduce a whole new party to go along with this one, though that'd be at least 12 characters, maybe a bit unlikely.
[collapse=Sorta spoiler for DD]It'd also be kind awesome if there was somehow a playable Dark Adept in the next one. :awesome:[/collapse]

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude

I still think that the worst thing that could have happened to Golden Sun was the success of the Mario sports spin-offs, which had already been out for years before Golden Sun. Developing the Mario sports games is what Nintendo originally commissioned and bought Camelot for and I would assume that if they were going to make a sequel to Dark Dawn it would be after the WiiU versions of at least one Mario golf or tennis game.

Also, can I get a source on the DK64 sequel developed by Camelot? That's definitely a new rumor for me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still think that the worst thing that could have happened to Golden Sun was the success of the Mario sports spin-offs, which had already been out for years before Golden Sun. Developing the Mario sports games is what Nintendo originally commissioned and bought Camelot for and I would assume that if they were going to make a sequel to Dark Dawn it would be after the WiiU versions of at least one Mario sports game (unless it's strikers since that's developed by a different studio).

Also, can I get a source on the DK64 sequel developed by Camelot? That's definitely a new rumor for me.
They just said they'd like to do it, as far as we know there aren't actually any plans for them to do it.

I agree, though with Mario it's hard not to sell well. At least they gave us Waluigi, right? :rolleyes:
And it's definitely possible that we get a Wii U golf or tennis from them, but they didn't make Wii versions of either, instead working on DD, so who knows, maybe like Chrono said they don't have the capacity for Wii U games. Or maybe they're just more comfortable with portables, I mean after golf they'll already have made two games for the 3DS, they'd probably be pretty experienced with it already, maybe they'll just stick to it.

Who knows though, perhaps with Mario & Sonic, Mario Kart U, and probably a Mario Party in development, the Wii U will have enough Mario spin-offs at the moment for Camelot to work on GS4 before heading back to Mario sports. Probably just wishful thinking.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How is one supposed to beat Dullahan?

This guy's insane!!!

EDIT: Nevermind. Beat him. Now for the final boss!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ugh, I remember Dullahan... That boss is all but impossible to defeat in Battle Mode. In fact, I am not even sure he is possible to beat in Battle Mode. Honestly, in mine copy of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, ALL of mine characters are above level 90, and despite this, I still was not able beat him in Battle Mode. At some point, I just started another file and in it collected all the summons except for Iris, just so I could fight in the Battle Arena as long as I wanted without Dullahan crashing the party.

[collapse=Sorta spoiler for DD]It'd also be kind awesome if there was somehow a playable Dark Adept in the next one. :awesome:[/collapse]
Hmm, that gave me an idea. Perhaps in the next Golden Sun there could be a brand new battle mechanic alongside Djinn, in which Matthew and company could utilise Dark Psynergy. Something could happen in the story in which Matthew and company become infused with Dark Psynergy. When Matthew or another character taps into his/her inner dark power, he/she will be able to use new, highly powerful Dark Psynergy attacks as well as darkened, powered-up versions of their original Psynergy moves. However, all power comes with a price: If Matthew or whomever stays in "Dark Mode" for too long without reverting, he/she will be consumed by the darkness and enter a "Berserk Mode", in which he/she will begin to attack friend and foe alike. Using Dark Psynergy moves will decrease the timer even faster; the more powerful the Dark Psynergy move, the more time that is deducted. If an ally is consumed by darkness, the player will be forced to incapacitate him/her in order to end the battle. However, this will not cure him/her; the only way to purge the character of the darkness would be either to visit the sanctum or use a special Djinn. Sort of a high risk, high reward mechanic. In battle, there can also be certain monsters or villains that can use attacks that will force the targeted character(s) into Dark Mode, and there could be certain foes that can only be defeated with Dark Psynergy.

(Shrugs) Probably not the most imaginative idea, but it could possibly make an interesting addition to the combat system, as well as an interesting story element. In mine opinion, it would be cool to have a new thing to use in battle besides Djinn, Psynergy, and Melee Attacks. Something that would affect both the gameplay and the story. (Shrugs) But that is just me.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hi, everyone. I used to post a lot in the Isaac for SSBB back in the day. I'm pleased to see we have a new topic, and still have support for him to be included in SSB4. But it needs to be first page! lol

Now that we've had a new entry in the series, I hope his chances will be a lot higher this time around. I still can't think of a character I would rather have. There's no reason they shouldn't include him this time! If they include Matthew that's fine, too, I suppose. I'm hoping for real alternate costumes this time, which would work really well to have Matthew as an alternate costume of Isaac.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hi, everyone. I used to post a lot in the Isaac for SSBB back in the day. I'm pleased to see we have a new topic, and still have support for him to be included in SSB4. But it needs to be first page! lol

Now that we've had a new entry in the series, I hope his chances will be a lot higher this time around. I still can't think of a character I would rather have. There's no reason they shouldn't include him this time! If they include Matthew that's fine, too, I suppose. I'm hoping for real alternate costumes this time, which would work really well to have Matthew as an alternate costume of Isaac.
This wasn't first page?! *panics* Well, thanks I guess, and always good to have more support for Isaac (or Matthew)! I feel the same way about them. :grin:

And if either Isaac or Matthew make it in, and alternate outfits are more widely embraced this time around, I could definitely see the character chosen having an outfit of the other. Assuming the one that doesn't end up playable isn't an AT ofc.

Hmm, that gave me an idea. Perhaps in the next Golden Sun there could be a brand new battle mechanic alongside Djinn, in which Matthew and company could utilise Dark Psynergy. Something could happen in the story in which Matthew and company become infused with Dark Psynergy. When Matthew or another character taps into his/her inner dark power, he/she will be able to use new, highly powerful Dark Psynergy attacks as well as darkened, powered-up versions of their original Psynergy moves. However, all power comes with a price: If Matthew or whomever stays in "Dark Mode" for too long without reverting, he/she will be consumed by the darkness and enter a "Berserk Mode", in which he/she will begin to attack friend and foe alike. Using Dark Psynergy moves will decrease the timer even faster; the more powerful the Dark Psynergy move, the more time that is deducted. If an ally is consumed by darkness, the player will be forced to incapacitate him/her in order to end the battle. However, this will not cure him/her; the only way to purge the character of the darkness would be either to visit the sanctum or use a special Djinn. Sort of a high risk, high reward mechanic. In battle, there can also be certain monsters or villains that can use attacks that will force the targeted character(s) into Dark Mode, and there could be certain foes that can only be defeated with Dark Psynergy.

(Shrugs) Probably not the most imaginative idea, but it could possibly make an interesting addition to the combat system, as well as an interesting story element. In mine opinion, it would be cool to have a new thing to use in battle besides Djinn, Psynergy, and Melee Attacks. Something that would affect both the gameplay and the story. (Shrugs) But that is just me.
Actually really like this idea. Makes me wanted GS4 even more.

Also, it makes sense, but it's complicated enough that Kraden would ramble about for two hours. Perfect for GS! :laugh:

I'd also still like a playable Dark Adept though. Perhaps they could spend significantly more time in Dark Mode, or they would have unique less-powerful Dark attacks that they would be able to use like regular Psynergy... dunno, just spitballing. Would definitely be in addition to your idea.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I've only beaten Dullahan once in all the times I played Golden Sun. I dunno, just always ended up missing just one or two Djinni at the end of the game. :ohwell: He wasn't all TOO dificult to beat however. I mean, all it really takes is spamming your best summons and hoping you stay alive. :laugh:

Dark Adapts would be awesome btw.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I remember Dullahan... That boss is all but impossible to defeat in Battle Mode. In fact, I am not even sure he is possible to beat in Battle Mode. Honestly, in mine copy of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, ALL of mine characters are above level 90, and despite this, I still was not able beat him in Battle Mode. At some point, I just started another file and in it collected all the summons except for Iris, just so I could fight in the Battle Arena as long as I wanted without Dullahan crashing the party.

Steps to my complete happiness.
1.Shut up.
2. Join Nintendo
3. Take my money.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
4. Make Golden Sun 4 (and give me a working DS / 3DS with Dark Dawn for free pretty please :sadeyes: )

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
High powered summons and one cleric is how I beat Dullahan. It took almost 2 hours but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do anything if I had the time to go into battle.
They just said they'd like to do it, as far as we know there aren't actually any plans for them to do it.
Well that explains why I haven't heard of such a game being in development by Camelot.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
How did people have so much trouble with Dullahan? You just spam Eclipse and heal every turn. He was only hard for me when I tried it severely underleveled

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I loved playing around with overpowered Djinni as Ground, Flash and Kite on bosses. Also, I often spam Impact, and have Isaac only use the Sol Blade on Dullahan while the rest summons or heals.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah dude. Like, if your bills and expenses are too damn high make small thrifty changes, eliminate needless spending and save up that 3DS cash over the span of months. It can be like a Christmas or birthday present to yourself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I smoke the MJ, that alone causes some slight financial problems. Oh, and debts. And low working hours. And ****ty economy. And my lazy-ass attitude.

But yeah, WILL DO! :)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Smoking actually causes you waste a crap load of money per year. Money that could be spent in something more useful and worthy.

Assuming you smoke one set of cigarettes per week and each package costs 4€. In a year, you would save around 208€ (52 weeks x 4€), which is slightly more than enough to buy a 3DS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cigarettes cost just €4,- in Portugal now? :eek: Dude, a normal sized Marlboro is like, €5,80 now around here? And that's for 20 cigs. Not that I smoke cigarettes anyway, am usually getting the cheapest pack of shag and the long rolling papers and roaches (aka: tips) for less than €7,- like, each 2 weeks. Take it that I smoke for like €30 ~ €40 a week on weed (or more) and we're talking. :smirk: Could cut down to perhaps €20 ~ €30 a week, and maybe then I'll be able to buy a second-handed 3DS.

Australia is the craziest ever though! Heard a pack of shag costs like $32,- there.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What will happen if you use Growth on a certain plant and use Fire Psyngery? :awesome:

Anyways, ISAAC FOR NEW SERIES REPRESENTATION! Damn, I've been really wanting him ever since pre-Brawl, and felt like he just missed the boat last time cause other characters where bigger priorities (Diddy, Wario, King Dedede, Ike, Sonic ect). Yet, he's still holding up in popularity. I'm still holding my breath, but I hope that if he looks at the Assist Throphies from Brawl, and he had to choose newcomers from them, that Isaac would be one of them. GO GO GOLDEN BOY! :estatic:

Cigarettes are still ****ing expensive though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not only that, but Psynergy and especially Earth-based Psynergy would add so much to the game! I mean, it's cool they gave Donkey Kong a completely random move that makes him headbut people into the ground, but we all know Isaac would be better in representing this! Btw I find DK's Side B quite stupid besides him being my main in Melee, and secondary in Brawl

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
To top that off, he's one of Nintendo's characters with the most varied of moves and he (along with the rest of the Golden Sun cast) are surely the more interesting ones, and all three games are really highlights of Nintendo's DS and GBA era.

Top Bottom