• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the USA taking priority over JP as the target market for Smash 4...?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

It's a very broad and generalized question, so allow me to explain before you jump all over me.

The JP site is updated with, for the most part the same content as the US site is, and at relatively the very same moment. However, two things...

• There was no official Nintendo JP announcement correlating to the release of the official Wii U GCC adapter.
  • We are not getting a playable demo of the game at any period during the time that the North American territory will have nation-wide playable demos, along with an exciting tournament with hand-picked players/commentators.
I am totally not against these things. I think these things are wonderful and I'm excited for the tournament (to watch) myself. My eyebrow is just slightly raised at the fact that at no point during the duration of these awesome events that Japan is getting basically nothing similar.

I'm also confused that the GC controller adapter announcement was not internationally based, yet only in English and aimed specifically (it would seem) at the NA/US-based Smash community. I'm not trying to be racist or something, I just get this weird feeling like America is the "target" market here. Like, they recognize that the potential for financial success is much greater targeting America because it's bigger or something.

"Um, here in Japan we want to play Smash 4 early too!", is kind of what runs through my head. "Uh, we care about an official GC controller adapter too!", as well. It just kinda makes me wonder. Maybe even concerned? Like...is that GC adapter only going to be released in the US and I'll have to import it? Will Japan get a demo at all before the release?

Feel free to tell me I'm over-thinking it, I'd like that to be the case, but does anyone else kind of get the feeling like the needs of the American-based Smash community are driving the development and advertisement of this game?

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I don't think you're overreacting, but I feel like we (the Americans) are being the target audience just for the simple fact that the way we've accepted and promoted this game is far beyond what Nintendo ever expected. Not to say that Japan hasn't done the same, but like you said, larger market.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's understandable for you to think that way. Here in Europe, things aren't much different. However, do mind that E3 is in North America and they're probably trying to cater to that public while it's going on and people talk about it.

Only Nintendo of America announced the GameCube controller, but it would be best if they were released in the remaining major regions, like Europe, Japan and Australia, which I'm hopeful they do.

Anyway, I acknowledge that competitive Smash is much bigger in the US than it is in the rest of the world, but I think Nintendo has got nothing to lose if they release GCN controllers outside of NA, especially if they release GameCube games on the Virtual Console.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was fairly irked to find Japan wont be getting the demo but yiutube will suffice.

and maybe...just maybe....Japan will get both versions first ;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As a European, I do know where you are coming from. But pretty much what Frostwraith said.

I do hope we can get the Gamecube adapter outside of America as well though. Not really wanting to import it and all.... Assuming it isn't region locked for whatever reason... :/

D

Deleted member 245254

As a European, I do know where you are coming from. But pretty much what Frostwraith said.

I do hope we can get the Gamecube adapter outside of America as well though. Not really wanting to import it and all.... Assuming it isn't region locked for whatever reason... :/
That would almost be a slap in the face...

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Well since Japan usually gets games months earlier than the rest of the world, I think it's nice Nintendo's showing us some love.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's a very broad and generalized question, so allow me to explain before you jump all over me.

The JP site is updated with, for the most part the same content as the US site is, and at relatively the very same moment. However, two things...

• There was no official Nintendo JP announcement correlating to the release of the official Wii U GCC adapter.
  • We are not getting a playable demo of the game at any period during the time that the North American territory will have nation-wide playable demos, along with an exciting tournament with hand-picked players/commentators.
I am totally not against these things. I think these things are wonderful and I'm excited for the tournament (to watch) myself. My eyebrow is just slightly raised at the fact that at no point during the duration of these awesome events that Japan is getting basically nothing similar.

I'm also confused that the GC controller adapter announcement was not internationally based, yet only in English and aimed specifically (it would seem) at the NA/US-based Smash community. I'm not trying to be racist or something, I just get this weird feeling like America is the "target" market here. Like, they recognize that the potential for financial success is much greater targeting America because it's bigger or something.

"Um, here in Japan we want to play Smash 4 early too!", is kind of what runs through my head. "Uh, we care about an official GC controller adapter too!", as well. It just kinda makes me wonder. Maybe even concerned? Like...is that GC adapter only going to be released in the US and I'll have to import it? Will Japan get a demo at all before the release?

Feel free to tell me I'm over-thinking it, I'd like that to be the case, but does anyone else kind of get the feeling like the needs of the American-based Smash community are driving the development and advertisement of this game?
You're not alone, I noticed this as well. It's kind of puzzling to me, actually. This really never has been the case. Usually Japan has been favored above everyone else. Maybe Nintendo is seeing more NA sales than Japanese sales? Perhaps it is merely a business decision. It's not a judgment about the people of these nations, mind you. It's not a personal thing.

Still, it is somewhat confusing.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not mean to be crass, but obviously. I am surprised that this is only applicable to Smash 4, Nintendo must be very desperate.

D

Deleted member 245254

I do not mean to be crass, but obviously. I am surprised that this is only applicable to Smash 4, Nintendo must be very desperate.
I just don't see why Japan isn't getting the same treatment at the very least.

I know that the US often sees inequality in game releases and what not, but it just seems criminal that with a game like Smash 4 that Japan is actually getting second string (or not even a string) in this pretty amazing opportunity the US is getting during E3.

We had Mario Kart 8 demos here...why not Smash 4?

Morbi

Scavenger

I know that the US often sees inequality in game releases and what not, but it just seems criminal that with a game like Smash 4 that Japan is actually getting second string (or not even a string) in this pretty amazing opportunity the US is getting during E3.

We had Mario Kart 8 demos here...why not Smash 4?
I agree, they should not blatantly disregard Japan (or the West). I honestly do not see why they are "racist" (I could not think of a better word) in terms of exclusive content. They are quite clearly obsessed with the notion. Mario Kart is getting the Mercedes Benz in Japan for free whereas it is not even available for purchase in any other region. It seems like treating consumers fairly is business 101. It is not as though Smash does not sell well in Japan, it just happens to sell better here.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I actually had this in my mind as well.

I have spoken with my folks back in the east and I was saddened to hear there is no word of anything akin to the demo we will be getting here in North America. I guess lately they have been focusing on reinvigorating the Nintendo brand in general in America, though some arrangements in their own native Japan couldn't have done anyone harm.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Well, considering Smash has its share of popularity there, it does seem odd, but I think they're now doing all this in the US solely thanks to E3.

After all, even Japanese developers go there. It would be great if they made the E3 demo available on the eShop worldwide.

I agree, they should not blatantly disregard Japan (or the West). I honestly do not see why they are "racist" (I could not think of a better word) in terms of exclusive content. They are quite clearly obsessed with the notion. Mario Kart is getting the Mercedes Benz in Japan for free whereas it is not even available for purchase in any other region. It seems like treating consumers fairly is business 101. It is not as though Smash does not sell well in Japan, it just happens to sell better here.
Meanwhile, Europe and Australia get nothing...

As for Smash selling better in the United States, mind that the USA has a bigger population than Japan. Did a quick research and the US has three times more people than Japan. Assuming both countries share the same percentage of Smash players would mean there's three times as many clients in the US as there are in Japan.

Add the fact that E3 is in the US and you can conclude which place has the better market.

Still, it definitely doesn't justify not promoting the game in Japan.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually had this in my mind as well.

I have spoken with my folks back in the east and I was saddened to hear there is no word of anything akin to the demo we will be getting here in North America. I guess lately they have been focusing on reinvigorating the Nintendo brand in general in America, though some arrangements in their own native Japan couldn't have done anyone harm.
Too bad they do not do what every other company does... incorporate a modern digital demo that everyone, everywhere can enjoy.

R0Y

Smash Master

Larger market, and along with Japan and Canada (the latter is also getting Best Buy demos and hopefully this adapter), the only country really buying Wii U's. North America just has the most people as a collective market and Smash has always sold the most units here so...

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Seems to me the only things that the US has over Japan are things directly related to E3, and due to the fact that E3 is gaming even #1 and Nintendo seems REALLY focused on it this year. Otherwise they seem about equal. If E3 wasn't such a big deaI I doubt the US would be seeing all these perks.

Hopefully Japan will get the demos and adaptor announced as soon as Nintendo is done concentration itself on E3 with laser like focus.

R0Y

Smash Master
Japanese game market is also significantly in decline, especially for home consoles. Japan outperforms everywhere else with the Vita by far though, not sure about 3DS, but by population I'm sure it has outperformed all other markets.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
After all, even Japanese developers go there. It would be great if they made the E3 demo available on the eShop worldwide.
The problem here is that Smash is a fighting game. Demoes for fighting games work very differently from that of other games. You'll be lucky to have arcade mode and a limited cast.

Considering they're played for multiplayer primarily, releasing the E3 build with multiplayer would possibly be releasing at least a third of the game's content for free unless it's limited use like the other eShop demos.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I think nationalism would be the term to use over racism. If I claimed to hate white people, or black people, then that would be racist. If I claimed to hate people from the United states, or Japan, or some other country, then that would be nationalism.

Regardless... I don't see you coming off as either way. I also understand where you're coming from. It can suck when you see awesome things happening that you want in on as well, but are unable to participate in such an event. Honestly can't say why they are doing it this way... I do wonder how much of an impact E3 had on the decision though.

I'm sure they could host a tournament and such just as easily in Japan, like they are doing with the Best Buy deal here... but somehow I think E3 being based in the U.S. had something to do with it overall. I'm probably wrong anyway. I'm sure there are many different reasons about why things turned out like they did.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm not too sure on this, but I think all the stuff we've been getting here is directly NoA's doing. It would be Nintendo of Japan's job to provide a demo to Japan, and the news for the adapter too. Maybe they have yet to make an announcement.

As for Europe, I hope you get something similar too. I'd hate it if only one part of the community, no matter how large, got in on all the fun.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Another European here. I feel kind of 'stupid' when I see some cool things that Nintendo and most of companies do in Japan and/or in The Americas... ... ... ... ... but nobody thinks about Europe. I hate to know about old (or modern) games I'd like to play and... "Oh... Japan/America only...".

Not all countries are created equal
What do you mean?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, I'm not sure about that, but here's a fact you might not know. The Wii U is actually doing all right in Japan, for a home console anyway. Handhelds are king over there, Vita is doing okay and 3DS dominates. The U is selling on par and even occasionally above the PS4 in their home country... in the West? Not so much.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
It could be Nintendo taking Japan for granted, knowing that they are going to do well over there.

There are a couple things that made me think they are catering more towards their western audience. One of them was Little Mac and how much he plays like a fighting game character. Also, the degree they are appealing to the grassroots community over here is a pretty strong indication, also.

D

Deleted member 245254

I guess I owe it to Europeans to sympathize in their pain as they feel it way more often than we do here, obviously...I guess since this is, you know, Smash...it has a more passionate string attached to it for me. It does seem hypocritical to only mention this when it affects me.

You could definitely say I'm supremely jealous of America over this which is unusual as it pertains to a Japanese developed game. It just feels weird.

For some more perspective, Japanese are just as much looking forward to E3, we crave the very same information dumps any country does. It just seems odd that only America gets the demos and quite possibly the most important hardware announcement imaginable for Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

R0Y

Smash Master
I guess I owe it to Europeans to sympathize in their pain as they feel it way more often than we do here, obviously...I guess since this is, you know, Smash...it has a more passionate string attached to it for me. It does seem hypocritical to only mention this when it affects me.

You could definitely say I'm supremely jealous of America over this which is unusual as it pertains to a Japanese developed game. It just feels weird.

For some more perspective, Japanese are just as much looking forward to E3, we crave the very same information dumps any country does. It just seems odd that only America gets the demos and quite possibly the most important hardware announcement imaginable for Smash 4.
Changing market conditions sadly.

Home consoles are tanking in Japan, what used to be gaming's most important market, even dedicated handhelds aren't selling what they used to in your country.

Here's the week of Mario Kart 8: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830485
For comparison's sake, the country of France, which has roughly half the population, sold more Wii U's last week apparently.
Here's the week before: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826627

Here's the roughly equivalent week 6 years ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307200

It's a depressing situation but it's the reason why Sony released the PS4 last in Japan. Hopefully something can save home consoles in Japan because they're my bread and butter and I'm not interested in a smartphone gaming future.

Japan made up about 50 percent of the world video game market in 2002, about 10 percent in 2010.

If you're one of the 1.764m or so Japanese people who bought a Wii U, I thank you for supporting my platform of choice.

Population is also rapidly aging and peaked in 2009.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Changing market conditions sadly.

Home consoles are tanking in Japan, what used to be gaming's most important market, even dedicated handhelds aren't selling what they used to in your country.

Here's the week of Mario Kart 8: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830485
For comparison's sake, the country of France, which has roughly half the population, sold more Wii U's last week apparently.
Here's the week before: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826627

Here's the roughly equivalent week 6 years ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307200

It's a depressing situation but it's the reason why Sony released the PS4 last in Japan. Hopefully something can save home consoles in Japan because they're my bread and butter and I'm not interested in a smartphone gaming future.

If you're one of the 1.764m or so Japanese people who bought a Wii U, I thank you for supporting my platform of choice.
This, sadly.

Dedicated gaming devices are declining over there, and even the 3DS and Vita worldwide are down year over year now. Nintendo might not want to invest as much in Japan compared to North America, where NA is their biggest market.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
European Union is actually bigger than USA, Canada and Japan joint together.
That may be true, but you have to consider the portion of population that's likely to buy games.

Also, not all European countries have a Nintendo affiliate and video game popularity varies between each country.

(And don't forget about the economical crisis that primarily affects Europe. Potential costumers are lost because said costumers don't have money to afford a video game console.)

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
This topic is THIS CLOSE to becoming a "My country is better than your country!" thread. Anyway, @ R R0Y hit the nail on the head here.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
not again not again no no no no no no no NO (if anyone remembers how bad brawl's early release in one place was... yeah) srsly global release please

Also iunno, Smash has always been pretty balanced. R0Y summed it up pretty well; not only does America have a bigger market but we've probably embraced the whole fighting game revival thing which is something else to consider. I think Nintendo wants in on that pot.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I do think that Smash 4 will receive a worldwide simultaneous release, considering Pokemon X & Y and Mario Kart 8 were given worldwide simultaneous releases. I agree wtih @ Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa in that Smash has been balanced towards both sides of the Pacific. I think we can see that with the newcomer selections thus far.

Khao

Smash Lord
This topic is THIS CLOSE to becoming a "My country is better than your country!" thread. Anyway, @ R R0Y hit the nail on the head here.
It's sounding more like "My country gets worse videogames than your country!" at the moment. =P

That may be true, but you have to consider the portion of population that's likely to buy games.

Also, not all European countries have a Nintendo affiliate and video game popularity varies between each country.
And let's not forget that American Nintendostuff actually covers a heck of a lot more than just USA and Canada. I don't think it changes a lot in terms of raw numbers, but still.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I do think that Smash 4 will receive a worldwide simultaneous release, considering Pokemon X & Y and Mario Kart 8 were given worldwide simultaneous releases. I agree wtih @ Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa in that Smash has been balanced towards both sides of the Pacific. I think we can see that with the newcomer selections thus far.
Well, MK8 was released 1 day earlier in Japan (on a Thursday.) I could see a simultaneous release or one within a week again though. After all, this is THE WII U GAME for November/December 2014 worldwide. Not like NOA and NOE have anything else to translate.

Europe may have more people, but Japan alone has bought more Wii U's than that entire continent. It's a growing market but it's still smaller than Japan for Nintendo, especially if you look outside France, Germany, and to a lesser extent places like the UK, Italy, and Spain.

I was fairly irked to find Japan wont be getting the demo but yiutube will suffice.

Who are you irked with though? I'm curious to hear your thoughts, I don't know very much about Japan and don't pretend to (market numbers aside.) The Best Buy demos were something NoA was behind for both USA and Canada. NoJ decided not to do the E3 demos, not even in Akihabara shops. It's not a slight against their own countrymen, it's the realities of changing market conditions. Depressingly, dedicated gaming sales are falling off a cliff in Japan as I noted in this post.

On a side note, it is an American trade show, maybe TGS will mean Smash U demos in Japan.

As for the release date, I think you're right but not by as much as Brawl, which was more than a month. More like Melee's less than 2 week difference as this will also be a late fall title. I suspect it'll be released between 1 week and 1 day earlier in Japan than in the west like MK8. NOA and NOE have nothing else huge to translate and publish and it's looking like the major Wii U game for November/December 2014 though.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman

(And don't forget about the economical crisis that primarily affects Europe. Potential costumers are lost because said costumers don't have money to afford a video game console.)
Of course not everybody will buy Nintendo games; that's something that happens in every country. Of course it varies between countries as it varies between states. That's why I can't understand why some companies do not invest that much in Europe.

Financial crisis is very hard in both USA and Japan. In fact, I would say Japan is currently in a worse situation. In any case... video game companies forgetting Europe isn't anything new.

In my opinion, it's because there are lots of Japanese and American enterprises... but just a couple of European. Apart from MineCraft, Commandos, Rayman and Europa Universalis, there isn't too much inner market. And then, here we have different tastes. Maybe a JRPG is not as well received as a political strategy simulator, for example. But, even with that... it's a little bit disappointing that major enterprises use to ignore us Europeans.

By the way, Portugal is beautiful. I'm glad to see a neighbour here ;)

It was absolutely not my intention. Don't like nationalism, I've just given some facts.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Of course not everybody will buy Nintendo games; that's something that happens in every country. Of course it varies between countries as it varies between states. That's why I can't understand why some companies do not invest that much in Europe.

Financial crisis is very hard in both USA and Japan. In fact, I would say Japan is currently in a worse situation. In any case... video game companies forgetting Europe isn't anything new.

In my opinion, it's because there are lots of Japanese and American enterprises... but just a couple of European. Apart from MineCraft, Commandos, Rayman and Europa Universalis, there isn't too much inner market. And then, here we have different tastes. Maybe a JRPG is not as well received as a political strategy simulator, for example. But, even with that... it's a little bit disappointing that major enterprises use to ignore us Europeans.
I don't think it's a matter of ignoring Europe, but instead, a matter of companies giving a lower priority to Europe. (I highly doubt companies would outright ignore a certain market...)

Europe has a (bigger) problem compared to other places: game localization.

When games are released to the US, only translation to English is necessary. When releasing in Europe, the games have to be translated to several languages. That is something some companies, especially those whose games cater to a niche market, don't risk in investing because they might not sell enough to give a viable profit or worse, the company may end up losing money. It's a risk some companies simply aren't willing to take and I honestly can't really blame them.

Then, there's the issue of Europe being a PAL region, but I'm not sure if it applies nowadays with the advent of digital formats and HD, but it meant that consoles had to be altered to meet the PAL standards. (Both Japan and US are NTSC regions.) Like with translation, it meant a bigger investment.

By the way, Portugal is beautiful. I'm glad to see a neighbour here ;)
It's rare to see someone from Spain as well. I've been there several times and Spain also has beautiful places. :)

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Well... game localization is a good point... for the past. Currently, NTSC version needs English, French (Quebec) and Spanish (Hispanic America). Europe just needs two more languages: Italian and German. So it's not that difficult I guess. Maybe a game like, I don't know, Wasteland 2 is pretty difficult, but games like Smash, Street Fighter, Mario... And, yes, you're right, PAL is not a problem anymore because modern screenplays do not have this distinction.

In my opinion, it's a problem of priority. Japanese enterprises try to expand their market to the US and American majors try to do it with Japan... But then there's Europe, which is not very interested in making games and cultural differences are higher than in other places. But also, I think it's a problem of taste or a problem of cultural interest. You know, Disneyland Paris was a bad idea until they realize Europeans didn't want a Mickey Mouse roller coaster, they wanted "It's a small world after all". I think European tastes are a bit different. If you take a look to a Paradox strategy games forum, you realize everybody is European. I'm not saying "Europe rules", it's just here people have other interests... and that's why Dragon Quest, which I love, is associated with "manga rubbish".

Well, that's the advantage of being neighbours and having a very warm relation between Spanish and Portuguese people. I'm going to the Alentejo and the Estremadoura this summer for a weekend. Pretty good land, I really love it.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I've noticed that this game has been trying to cater to the competitive audience, so maybe they just think that America has a larger competitive community?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I think it's all just coincidence due to E3. Come back and see me when Smash starts adding more Western popular characters.

Briefly entertaining the notion that this Smash is focused more on America, they sure are reluctant to show it. I guess E3 will be the deciding factor.

Top Bottom