• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
Okay, before I start I just want to say that I don't play falco myself, but I know how a typical falco would play.

1) Don't roll so much. One of the first steps to stepping up your game is cutting back on the roll. Never overlook it all together, but it easily gets predictable, is slower than other options availialbe to you, and is therefore easily punished.
2) I saw you trying to SHFFL, but you were missing your fast falls and l-cancels. Remember to only FF after the peak of your jump, and hit l just before you touch the ground. This is something just a little bit of tech practice can fix up.
3) You need to work on your SHL. Again, this is more of a technical issue. SHL is very versatile in that it can be both utilized in offensive and defensive manners with practically zero lag time. Practice your timing so that you can consistently hit someone short heightwise, say Pichu, just below the top of the head.
4) Dair is not your only option for edgeguarding, and is by no means infallible. You can bet a good player will see your predictability and you will start having a hard time netting KOs. Use moves like ftilt, dsmash, edgehog, lasers (to manipulate their position when they're far away), ledgehopped bairs, etc. as well.
5) You definitely need to work on waveshines and shine combos. Again, another thing that can be sorted out with tech practice.
6) You don't always have to charge in right away. Try using fakes and such to close the space and cause your opponent to make a mistake.
7) Also, try to keep from being predictable when getting up from the ledge, our you will also be punished. You can ledge hop aerials, ledge hop lasers, roll back on, get up attack, edgestall, w/e, just don't let your opponent know how you're getting up.
8) To be predictable heading to the edge either. Always going for the sweetspot will eventually provoke the opponent to simply edgehog you.
9) Don't be predictable in general.
10) Utilize your utilt and uair for some aerial juggling to rack up damage.

Hope that helps you!

ZJAG

Smash Rookie
thx for the comment.. ill practice more and do what u say.. ive just watched the video agan and i am very predictable xD.. but ive been only playing for 3 weeks and i dont play daily.. il try to practice more the things you say :D hope i can get better..

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
thx for the comment.. ill practice more and do what u say.. ive just watched the video agan and i am very predictable xD.. but ive been only playing for 3 weeks and i dont play daily.. il try to practice more the things you say :D hope i can get better..
Don't worry too much, most people don't even know about advanced techs three weeks into their smashing. Falco tends to be a very technical character, so it'll be crucial that you master the advanced techniques (and how to apply them in battle) as soon as possible. If you need help understanding what advanced techs look like or how to perform them, there's the Official Glossary of Terms and the Advanced How to Play Videos Getting rid of bad habits and predictability will probably be forced upon you soon enough when you opponent starts to pick up on it, but it doesn't hurt to start fixing the problem now. Good luck trying to improve!

Top Bottom