• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMDB 8: Invincible Combat Roll - April 13th, 2013 - Madison, WI

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Date: Saturday, April 13th

640 Elm Drive, Madison, WI
Parking lots are everywhere

Prices: $5.00 venue fee (includes pizza!)
$10.00 Melee singles
$10.00 Melee doubles ($5 per person)
$10.00 Project M singles
$2.00 Cactuar Stamina Pancake

Payout: 60/30/10 doubles
60/30/10 singles

Schedule:

11:00 AM - Venue opens/registration starts
12:00 PM – Melee doubles
3:00 PM - Brawl singles
4:00 PM – Melee singles
6:00 PM - Project M singles
9:00 PM - Cactuar Stamina Pancake
11:30 PM - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on., life stealing allowed.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers semis, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
-Pausing is banned. Pausing during a match will result in a loss at your opponent’s discretion.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.
- Wobbling is banned.

Stages:

Neutrals 1v1:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks 1v1:
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64

Neutrals 2v2:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Set format:

1. Both players select characters. Double blind can be called if necessary.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Project M Rules (taken from SCYSN5):

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

After each match:
1. Winner announces TWO(2) stage bans.
2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
3. Winner chooses their character.
4. Loser chooses their character.
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).

Cactuar Stamina Pancake Rules:

Cactuar (by Cactuar)
- Best of 7
- Random stage from everything except Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Brinstar Depths, and Big Blue

Stamina (by Nintendo)
- Stamina Mode

Pancake (by Zjiin)
- Random characters
- Starting with the winner from the last game, each player may decide to "flip" either character, meaning re-random them.
- For the first match, decide randomly who flips first (via rock-paper-scissors).

Rules Clarifications
- If Zelda is randomed, re-random again to determine if you got Zelda or Sheik. The top 2 rows = Zelda, the bottom row = Sheik. This makes it very rare to have sheik, since she destroys low tier characters.
- Select pichu before randoming. This is done to prevent disputes getting the same character twice in a row. If you "accidentally" hit B to repick Pichu, you are stuck with him.
- If you can't tell who won the match, replay the game.
- Wobbling is LEGAL.

Brawl Rules:

The Apex Ruleset

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
sam we're putting brinstar depths and big blue on for CSP

we also had a rule that you could pick who your oppoent random'd from (instead of pichu) since we finally found people good w/ pichu

mm anyone?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we also had a rule that you could pick who your oppoent random'd from (instead of pichu) since we finally found people good w/ pichu
I can't tell if I should be flattered by the compliment or offended at the implications.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
This is a really good day, looking forward to it. We really gotta get another venue though.

I think Jungle Japes is still banned for CSP too, but we can try it one more time. That leaves just Temple and Icicle Mountain banned.

We might want to run CSP teams again too. Maybe a bit later this time once everyone is there. It will prob be one of those spur of the moment tourneys.

On a completely unrelated note, would anyone be willing to enter an NBA Jam 2v2 tournament?

ORLY

Smash Master
brinstar depths also banned, right? that stage is so crazy

NBA Jam: TE or regular?

Mundungu

Smash Lord
TE. Not sure what version yet, I'll confirm that by this weekend.

It really depends on the schedule too and how smoothly things run overall. I think CSP doubles would prob out prioritize it.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'll try coming to this, but it'll depend on how much school work I have. I've REALLY wanted to come to these for a long time though... Does Chicago typically get housing?

Apparently, there will be a Wunk Sheek Pow-Wow going on in the same building, but on the other side of the whole place. I think it might affect parking a bit, but I am not entirely sure.

@Ace/Mundunguu: If you guys know of a better venue by all means pick it. Carson's is scheduled to be completed by June. No guarantees on it being better or worse than last time.
Source: http://www.housing.wisc.edu/masterplan/carsongulley/

I have only been choosing this venue because as a replacement it gave:
-Free parking within 50 feet of the place.
-All the electrical outlets we would ever need.
-Tables/Chairs supplied.
-Free venue to allow venue fee to go for paying for pizza.
-Establishment has opportunity to buy food and beverage (same selection as Carson's at same prices as before, but an even larger selection of stuff available)
-Access to projector (and if we had an extra powerstrip it could have worked out last time).
-We hosted multiple IMDBs here. People are familiar with where its at and stuff nearby and that reduces problems for people traveling.

I keep seeing dissatisfaction with the one we have now, but no one has said why except for its not big enough. And this sole reason I do not entirely get because for tournaments that have a hard time breaking over 20 people in entries it seems to have adequate room. If there are any issues let me know about it so I can try looking for something else.

Well normally IMDBs get what...35-40 for melee, not including P:M and brawl only crowd . Which a room with what a 50 person max. There's gonna be space issues but i think most of the issues fixed when the stream got put in the corner, instead of right in the middle of the room

ORLY

Smash Master
i was sad that i had to miss CSP last time :(

but when the wheelman says it's time to go, it's time to go

Top Bottom