• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ILLiterate - A Man & His Luigi

EazyP

Smash Ace
So I was lucky enough to get a tournament match recorded (thanks Zhu) and was wanting to know peoples opinions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6sf1EoFnbI (Round 1, Vs. Nemesis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efq4FRPrrbc (Round 2, Vs. Nemesis) *My Fav*

Not my best, nervous, but that's just another issue to get over

My list of what to work on:
- Need to edgegaurd better
- Stop using a ground approach 24/7
- Too much down-b
- Why was I spamming grab?
- More grabs (that connect)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hmmm...your most debilitating problem was your obvious nervousness, but I ultimately don't think that will be too hard to get over. Let's see what else I should pick on...

Firstoff, I wouldn't use the Fireball, especially not vs Captain Falcon unless I'm ledgeguarding or wavedashing backwards towards a ledge. The Fireball is really laggy and for what it gives you, and it is really easy to avoid and short ranged. You got punished a number of times for trying to use Fireballs against Falcon, and the thing about Falcon is he is all about punishing your openings and does it really well against a laggy and easy to avoid move like the Fireball.

Next, learn to use spotdodges. I just don't remember you using one ever. It probably won't work too well against an N-air, but it will work against a D-air or a Knee.

Another thing that I think is worthwhile to try is comboing out of a single Jab. As a Mario main, I can vouch that D-smashing from a Jab pwns. Luigi might not only be able to do that, but if you can anticipate your opponent, you might be able to wavedash -> Jab -> Up-B, which is also effective. It's something I'd keep in mind and try to work on.

I'm not sure if it is just me, but I think Luigi should try to stay grounded more often when facing against Falcon. Falcon owns the **** out of Luigi in aerial mobility since Luigi's aerial mobility sucks. However your ground mobility easily rivals Falcon's, and might be better. If you must jump, short hop, and try to use the B-air a bit more since it has longer range than Luigi's other aerial attacks. Being above Falcon is dangerous considering how his U-air has particularly huge range. I'm not particularly sure how to tell you to get around the N-air except that you should kinda anticipate around it and that Fireballs don't work on it.

Grab combos own Falcon. Practice those a bit. I think you might need to grab a little earlier. The hitbox for the grab doesn't come out immediately, so if you are pressing Z right where you think Falcon should be grabbed, then you'll probably miss him. You need to press it when he's a little above your head.

Eh, just my two cents. I hope it helps.

EazyP

Smash Ace
Hey thanks for the comment

Usually I use fireball as a sort of distraction, some people try so hard to dodge the fireball that they end up getting hit by something much worse. Didn't think about falcon's speed though, the main problem with the matches where I didn't think

I never ever spot dodge, something you learn to do when you play Bowser, but I'll figure out how

I usually wavedash to jab a lot. Wasn't doing it here. Also I noticed that I was doing up throw to up tilt which wasn't hitting. Should of done dsmash or something

Again, thanks

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well as it is, Falcon doesn't approach from the ground anyway considering his N-air reliably outranges almost everything Luigi has, and Luigi's Fireball just so happens to overall be very laggy, slow, and low priority. Ultimately it's not that good of an idea to use it outside of ledgeguarding, OR maybe wavedashing AWAY from a Fireball. I wouldn't wavedash WITH a Fireball since the move has too much overall lag for its minimal amount of potential setup.

Yeah, Bowser pretty much should never spotdodge. Luigi however has a decent spotdodge. =P

Oh well, Luigi doesn't have particularly easy grab setups like Mario. That backwards trajectory often throws me off so many times. But CF can be reliably chaingrabbed, so it's something I'd try to do.

I'm glad to be of assistance.

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
Other than what people have been telling you so far in this thread work on these things.

- He's a falcon, take advantage of his recovery.
- Wave land more and approach better.
-Less Rolling, Wave Dash Smash Approach More
- Play more Falcon's to get more experience with the timing.

Hope this helps :).

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
aight this is what you do if ur approching from the ground=

if they DONT DI:
jab > grab > upthrow > upsmash >upsmash/uptilt > upsmash/uptilt/grab upthrow > short hopped Fair >into wavedash and follow em up with few Ftilts

if they DO DI:
ur kinda on your own but its bassicaly the same process but instead just standing there and rapin em you have to follow em with wavedashing, but always try to keep juggling them in the air

as for approching from the air=

try doing a Short hopped L-cancelled Dair into a Nair > grab > upthrow and basically try doing whole bunch of upsmash/uptilt/up throws

edgeguarding=

when they are off the stage remember falcon recovery blows, you know where they are gonna go for the most part, if they are above the stage when they are trying to get back onto stage just kinda jump up and fair/dair them back off the stage, if they are coming from the bottom of the stage either just try to dair the corner of the stage when they are tryin to sweet spot or if you are edgehogging drop down with a Bair or if you know that they are gonna get back onto stage just jump and do a Bair/Dair

Top Bottom