• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's quick-draw problems.

nickasstar

Smash Rookie
I'm maining Ike, and lately I've noticed in for Glory that if I hit someone mid-air with quick-draw I'll go in a helpless state. I don't think this is what used to happen? Because on smash wiki it states: "Quick Draw no longer leaves Ike in a helpless state when it hits the foe, has less landing lag overall, and covers a greater distance."

So is this intended now, or a ninja nerf? Or did it just bug?

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
No, it does leave him in a helpless state. What's different is that now, if Ike hits someone with a side b who's onstage, he'll still grab the ledge. In brawl, quick draw was very vulnerable due to the fact that Ike could be gimped by having someone jump into his path.

nickasstar

Smash Rookie
No, it does leave him in a helpless state. What's different is that now, if Ike hits someone with a side b who's onstage, he'll still grab the ledge. In brawl, quick draw was very vulnerable due to the fact that Ike could be gimped by having someone jump into his path.
Hmm makes sense, but if I recall correctly, I've used Aether in an instance where my quick-draw got interrupted mid-air and I was able to recover after. This doesn't happen a lot so my memory might just be hazy..

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Hmm makes sense, but if I recall correctly, I've used Aether in an instance where my quick-draw got interrupted mid-air and I was able to recover after. This doesn't happen a lot so my memory might just be hazy..
No, that's normal. If you get hit during any recovery move that would put you in helpless, you get out of helpless and can act again. This goes for any move that would put you in helpless, not just Ike's moves.

nickasstar

Smash Rookie
No, that's normal. If you get hit during any recovery move that would put you in helpless, you get out of helpless and can act again. This goes for any move that would put you in helpless, not just Ike's moves.
Yes, I know for a fact that if someone hits you during quick-draw you won't be in a helpless state anymore. But the same thing should happen if you hit someone with your quick-draw in mid-air, it shouldn't go in helpless state, but for me it does.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
After you hit hit someone with QD offstage you can still use your second jump if you have it.
If you already lost your second jump, you can still use Aether or QD again, altough often this won´t be enough without jump.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I could be wrong, but I think there's a limited time window after swinging to input your next move - I do recall once becoming helpless when trying to Aether after a swing, but at the time I just assumed I couldn't wait that long.

Although if memory serves, Ike didn't have the usual helpless flashing when that happened, he just drifted down and blew up.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I don't play this character, but after brief testing in training it looks like you have a fair window where you're able to do things after hitting with Quick Draw midair, and if you fail to do anything in that timeframe you end up in helpless again.

Seems that hitting an opponent standing on the ledge of FD leaves you until a little after being off the bottom of the screen before you end up in helpless.

If you hit high with Quick Draw and want to delay your jump/upB, I'd suggest air dodging after the hit.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
There is a time limit to respond. As those above said, jump, air dodge, aether, etc.

nickasstar

Smash Rookie
I don't play this character, but after brief testing in training it looks like you have a fair window where you're able to do things after hitting with Quick Draw midair, and if you fail to do anything in that timeframe you end up in helpless again.

Seems that hitting an opponent standing on the ledge of FD leaves you until a little after being off the bottom of the screen before you end up in helpless.

If you hit high with Quick Draw and want to delay your jump/upB, I'd suggest air dodging after the hit.
Ohhhhh, this explains everything! Thank you somuch.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Sure! Buff fox and falco side-B to give them total controller after the attack and only let Ike act out of his if he hit someone and input a command in the following few frames after the hit. The balance in this game make no sense, Ike needs it a lot more than the spacies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Quick draw has the potential to go much farther by itself so it's not that bad of a tradeoff.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
One major problem is that Quick Draw gets outprioritized by a LOT of things, including Bowser's Fair. They can gimp you just by trading with you, rendering your horizontal recovery a dangerous option.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It's not that it gets outprioritized, but that aerials are never canceled so getting traded is always a risk for any horizontal recovery. That's why Ike has to mix up his recoveries and stay unpredictable, and a charged QD from higher up is perfect for that.

Last edited:

Mariofan13

Smash Cadet
There are also some gltiches, including Quickdraw.:
  • If you hit Pacman and while being still in the qickdraw animation you get pushed off the ledge by his fire hydrant's water shot, you will enter the helpless state. The same thing occurs with other windboxes.
  • Sometimes you will miss the ledge and Quickdraw directly "into" the stage and fall down to the bottom blast line. This occurs especially on stages like Battlefield and Kongo Jungel (N64) with "glitchy" ledges.
  • Normally, you cannot fall off a platform with an onstage Quickdraw because Ike stops at the ledge. In some cases, like when one floor in Wrecking Crew disapperas and ths Stage falls down, Ike doesn't stop at the ledge, enters helpless animation and dies.
  • In Trophy Rush, if you use an airial/offstage Qickdraw, you will sometimes fall through the stage and die.

Top Bottom