• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ICs gaining in Popularity?

Binx

Smash Master
So I have noticed that the IC boards are gaining alot more activity lately, do you think its because of gimpy's whos your best character thread, because forward is learning them? maybe cause Chu's finishes are starting to be notice? I cant say for sure but it is really nice to have some more players giving imput and also ICs rock face!

Oh and honk if you understand my sig!

Team Giza

Smash Lord
It's more active because people are just looking into wobbling... thats why I am here. But I think its pretty easy to notice from going to locate tournaments that they aren't gaining popularity.

Spellbound

Smash Cadet
I personly like the IC's, they are super fun to play imo, and I wanna get better playing them cuz I mained them once before for a lil while and it was pretty sick.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
I picked them up recently. I saw this guy named broadcast4u playing and was amazed. I'm thinking of switching them to my main.

Kail

Smash Lord
I've played them since day one, but took a break when I didn't lose to my brother for a while, but picked them up competitively even before I knew about chain throws and desynchs.e

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
There are only two people who play IC up here, and I'm one of them. I'm really disappointed in the people who picked them up just for wobbling, but to each his own.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i think people are starting to realize them more because people are losing to them lately in tournaments..losing to me of course..lol..but nana is too good thats why people want to use them

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
There are only two people who play IC up here, and I'm one of them. I'm really disappointed in the people who picked them up just for wobbling, but to each his own.
Whoa, nelly. Just because we're not as good as you doesn't mean that we don't main them. i'm an IC main. I play them SERIOUSLY. I wish I was as good as Chu or Wobbles or Hochiminh or Domo but I'm not. I didn't pick them up just becasue of Wobbles. I actually learned how to Wobble a long time after I started maining them. And even now, I don't wobble unless I'm battling a cheap opponent(proj spam comes to mind) just to show them that I can be a cheap *** too.

Moral of the story: don't assume that you're one of the only IC mains here just because you're one of the notable ones.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Whoa, nelly. Just because we're not as good as you doesn't mean that we don't main them. i'm an IC main. I play them SERIOUSLY. I wish I was as good as Chu or Wobbles or Hochiminh or Domo but I'm not. I didn't pick them up just becasue of Wobbles. I actually learned how to Wobble a long time after I started maining them. And even now, I don't wobble unless I'm battling a cheap opponent(proj spam comes to mind) just to show them that I can be a cheap *** too.

Moral of the story: don't assume that you're one of the only IC mains here just because you're one of the notable ones.
Whoa nelly to you too. I think you misunderstood. :) When I said "There are only two people who play IC up here, and I'm one of them" I meant in Minnesota. Hence the "up here". Sorry, I should've been more specific. Nobody else really touches IC up here, and I'm actually glad. Less IC players to fight against >__>

I appreciate your enthusiasm for IC, it's great to see people like you who play them seriously...*glares at noobs who tried to wobble their way out of first pool at FCD*

I'm glad to know that I'm a notable player, probably more for my Game & Watch though lol. I always thought I was a random nobody in most people's eyes.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Well, maybe it´s because people thinks more about their charactars and look at the top, mostly fox/falco/shiek/marth players there, which IC´s really have a advantage against, I picked them up after I learned the Nanapult in december last year, they are too fun to play, and should really be more used competively.
(Kinda fun at RoX4 after I played against Amsah, I saw 2 people playing on "my" counterpick Onett a few minutes later^^)

technomancer

Smash Champion
The problem is that they are such a completly different character that everyone is like "are they broken? Ok no? Cool I'll just stick with Sheik" It's like Peach. You have to be good with her specifically because she has so many little quirks, except times 100 because Ice Climbers are actually hard to play.

curly

Smash Rookie
i love using ice climbers in tournys. i really feel i can win games when its 2v1 <_<

Binx

Smash Master
Lol good logic there Curly. I started playing them mostly cause I think that its fun to beat people with the cutesy characters, the lure of this game wasnt to be a realistic looking person with a sword in a fighting game, thats been done plenty, I want to be a cute nintendo characters like pikachu or ICs or Kirby. And desynchs are fun as hell.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
i picked them because they are the most adorable things i have ever seen!

do you notice how little the are!? aw!

i dont wobble though X_X

eski

Smash Rookie
They're becoming a lot more noticed because Chu Dat is also becoming a lot more noticed. He's placing in the top 3 in a lot of more recent tournaments, so its no wonder that people are trying IC's out.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
the thing is, its still mostly just kids using them in friendlies because they want to wobble. there are still far to few IC mains, and those that do main them, props cause you know its hard for the IC's to hold up in solid tourny play most of the time.

i think thats something not a lot of people get. There's a huge gap in IC usage. It seems your either Chu, or you dont place well. There are a few in the middle, but unless your really dedicated, its tough to do well

Baha

Smash Cadet
They're becoming a lot more noticed because Chu Dat is also becoming a lot more noticed. He's placing in the top 3 in a lot of more recent tournaments, so its no wonder that people are trying IC's out.
Bingo!!!!!!

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
obviously because of wobbling

chus placing is not synched with this new popularity date wise imo

wobbling fits the upwards curve of popularity spiking when particularly dramatic wobbling news is revealed.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I haven't encountered any other IC mains around here. I don't think they're gaining popularity either. Sadly ICs are one of the most despised characters because they're "lame."

The learning curve for ICs is just too high compared to other characters, like Falco. SHL, dair, shine, repeat. Holy crap Falco is advanced.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
exactly, IC's almost require almost TO MUCH diversity for many people to stick with them.

with the IC's you have to mix up your approches and grabs to keep a solid and do well, timing with them is incredibly important and in a fast paced games, keeping everything in the tempo you want is hard to do.
whereas with other high tiers (or anyone really) there are set things that work and work really well. with falco for example, SHL and shine combos (and the shffl'd airs thrown in for mindgames) are his game.

you just cant stick to one thing with IC's, its hard to play them well

pchoo

Smash Cadet
IC's are easy to pick up due to powerful smashes coupled with an amazing wavedash. If you can wavedash and hit the C-stick you can play Ice Climbers. I know tons of people who play IC's as one of thier characters, and they're moderately good. IC's are gaining popularity because of Chu winning (he's been winning for a while though hasn't he?) and t3h wobbles.

Its just that getting to a competetive level with them... that takes more tech skill than Falco and Fox, so people keep them as a casual main or secondary... so of course they're not gonna bring out thier IC's if they have more confidence in a different character.

Just go Jigglypuff. It might be harder to win, but its easier to play. And it helps your mind games. :)

P.S. My point was that while IC's aren't necessarily gaining popularity as a competetive main (since there are easier alternatives available with far fewer counters//soft-counters), they are gaining popularity.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
IC's are easy to pick up due to powerful smashes coupled with an amazing wavedash. If you can wavedash and hit the C-stick you can play Ice Climbers. I know tons of people who play IC's as one of thier characters, and they're moderately good. IC's are gaining popularity because of Chu winning (he's been winning for a while though hasn't he?) and t3h wobbles..
No. You fail.

Binx

Smash Master
I haven't encountered any other IC mains around here. I don't think they're gaining popularity either. Sadly ICs are one of the most despised characters because they're "lame."

The learning curve for ICs is just too high compared to other characters, like Falco. SHL, dair, shine, repeat. Holy crap Falco is advanced.
the lame comment caught my attention, one of the people I play with alot says that too and I don't understand why at all. I really dont know what it is about IC that pisses people off so much when they play against them, I dont wobble so anything I do shouldnt be a big deal.

EDIT: I shouldnt have said dont I should have used the term can't yet in regards to wobbling.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
the lame comment caught my attention, one of the people I play with alot says that too and I don't understand why at all. I really dont know what it is about IC that pisses people off so much when they play against them, I dont wobble so anything I do shouldnt be a big deal.

EDIT: I shouldnt have said dont I should have used the term can't yet in regards to wobbling.
Well people hate Ice Climbers because they are unJewable. Marth can t jew ice climbers because usually the free ice climber break Marths combo. People have a hard time grabbing the Ice climbers because the free one will smash or grab you. Plus if your a good ice climbers one grab with popo is basically a free stock becuase there chain grabing and grab combos will have you crying for mom.

Binx

Smash Master
I guess, maybe they just dont like having grabs kill them and they dont like not being able to grab effectively, the one who says that is pretty grab happy against the rest of my charcters.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
^^ Well either your friend is total hypocrite or he just doesnt like ICs game. My friend hates my jiggs becuase he is a Marth player and he cant combo her so he doesnt like her because his natural way of playing is total shot down. That could be the same with IC you cant play them like any other char because one grab will **** you over so he has to change his game which he doesnt like, but hey Im not your friend.

Top Bottom