• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climber Freeze glitch

fluffy-sama

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sure everyone knows about the ice-climbers freeze glitch, where you can take someone and suspend them in place so that you can just sit there and beat the living daylights out of them and they can't move...

If you didn't know how to do it, here's how, since I didn't see a topic pertaining to this on this board previously:

Sidestep, dodge, whateveryou call it (trigger+ down on joystick). While you're sidestepping, hold in Z. You'll notice that while Popo will light shield, and Nana will grab. You want as little light sheild as possible, so only hold in the Z button just enough to make nana grab. As soon as Nana grabs the opponent, immediately do the forward B attack.. only, only Popo will do it, because nana is grabbing. Now, if it works properly, after nana throws your opponent, they will be stuck suspended /frozen in one position until you either 1)grab them or 2) restart the match because it would take too long to get them into a position where you CAN grab them.

beware! DON'T use the IC's neutral B or down B attacks on the frozen opponent at even a relatively high percentage. If you do, these attackes will freeze them in a block of ice and you won't be able to grab them out of it,OR unfreeze them... and the match will have to be reset.

Now, i have a question. I've noticed that this usually only works when nana does an up-throw on the opponent. But there was once when i couldn't really tell which throw she did, but the opponent was still frozen. The question is, is there a way to "master" this glitch, and be able to do it consistently, or is it completely random?

gore

Smash Journeyman
I think its based upon one or more of the following possibilities.
It could be based on the move nana did before the grab, or where she is in position to popo, or what popo is currently doing.

Also I have found out recently, that some de-synch comboes cannot be done without using c-stick. I never really use c-stick, and since you cannot practice it in training mode, I practice on vs mode against a lvl 1 and freeze glitch him and you can practice with using c-stick. One use I have found for C-sticking is to Make Nana charge a f-smash desynchronized, and then do a short-hop back-a using c-stick, because if you release A then nana will release the smash, so use C-stick to Aerial back A.. Then I started to realize that if I was using my Rthumb to press C-stick, A, B, and X to jump and I think maybe you could handle the IC's better if you used your thumb for C-stick only, and use your index and middle for A,B, and X or Y to jump and your ring finger for z. But it's kinda hard to short hop with them with my middle finger, even though I can do it perfectly with my thumb. I will try this but I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with it.

phillybilly

Smash Journeyman
ahh yes yes...

this will always be the pride and joy of my smash discoveries...

I remember when I first found it that day...just trying out IC comboes....and to see a frozen bowser on the screen...

so I tried the combo I did again like 10 more times and the freeze worked again...

I went to gamefaqs and tried to let everyon know there but they didn't believe it...

because they weren't doing it right..
and it wasn't freezing the opponent...
it wasn't until a week or two later someone finally got it and ppl started to believe

then 2 months later someone tried to bring it to smashboards as their own discovery...

giving me no credit...

alot of people around that time knew I had found it out and had my back on it also...

list of current findings:
IC freeze glitch (it used to be called arctic chill/deep freeze)

Canceled Ice Shots (sometimes leading to 4 ice shots behind each other)

DA Dash

phillybilly

Smash Journeyman
ok when you do an ice shot in the air once it slightly keeps you in the air but if you do two in the air the second one does not hold you in the air you just fall...

you can cancel it that way or...

you can time your jump through a platform and if you land as you do your ice shot you will either depending on your timing:

1)cancel with no ice shot coming out or...
2)shoot an ice shot on the platform and immediately be able to do something else...like another set of ice shots

leading to 4 ice shots travelling behind each other

digital

Smash Rookie
hello i am new here and i can´t so good english.
I come from Germany but i wants have the ice climbers glitch.
But if I on translate clicks one does not understand this you can help me please???
there is this bug because only on english explained...
please please please ?!?

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
LMAO, talk about resurrecting a thread. Is this all the remaining activity we have here at the Melee boards? See what Brawl has done? Horrific. *shakes head*

Anyways, sorry bro, but I don't think any1 is going to be able to make out enough of what you said to help, LoL. From what I can gather though, you want to learn how to do the freeze glith? If that's what you're after, then I suggest just searching on Youtube. I know there are at least 2 or 3 videos explaining it. Either that, or you get lucky and some1 who speaks German happens to stop by this thread, which is highly unlikely. Either way, good luck...

Top Bottom