• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC specific advanced tech help

Binx

Smash Master
K so I was wondering if I could get some help learning some of the more technical IC tricks.

I can dash dance desynch, Roll + spot dodge desynch, short hop ff desynch, I can do dair chain grabs, rdair chaingrabs, meteor regrab, easy things like those.

Lately I have been reverse wave dash f-tilting to desynch and it works really well, Ive noticed it is significantly harder to have nana ice block afterwards than to have her smash or blizzard, not sure why this is.

I was wondering if I could get some info on other technical tricks to learn so when the situations come in to use them I can, like dthrow jab chaingrabs, or the edge infitinite, also if anyone knows a way to consistently pivot, I cant seem to get the timing down, although this is understandable since I only have a frame.

If there are some tournament viable tricks that you guys would like to share I can combine it into one post for people to take a look at.

I've noticed against better players the roll desynch is more or less useless, same with spot dodge, the time you are in the spot dodge is enough for most characters to get near you and jump above any sort of projectile, I know I could jump up and hit them but they still have a double jump left to dodge, the dash dance desynch works well because I have so many options out of it, including just passively wavedashing away.

The ftilt desynch seems really fast but I dont think it is very usefull unless you are fairly sure you are going to hit a shield, I havn't tried it against better players but this slaughters bad players pretty good.

Also I have been doing a combo against Marth lately, dthrow usmash popo short hop uair if they dont DI, then I can ice block with nana and start an ice block chase if they DI the uair forward, I have also done dthrow fsmash ice block ice block chase against worse Marths.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
As far as desynching goes, I'd say not to have any patterns too set in stone because you're gonna wanna mix up everything, especially if you include opponent DI and character/weight/percent and stuff. Instead of thinking about the desynch combos, I suggest you know which combos work and in what situations, and include every possible move that you can use. Desynching should flow really well.

Also, don't get the idea that the basic dodging desynchs are poor. They are the easiest to use and totally safe as long as the distance between you and the opponent is adequate. Quite frankly, rolling to desynch is by far my favorite and most used way to start. Normally I desynch into a c-stick fsmash instead of ice blocking (I feel safer and also a tad more unique that way) plus it's really easy to get moving with popo. Most people tend to use ice blocks after rolling just because they have that distance, but you're right: most people will just see it and jump over it. I use roll desynchs to start using continuously desynched smashes or aerials and mixing in quick wd's and tilts. It can become really confusing for the opponent no matter how good they are. Remember MICH's continuous desynch smashes? That stuff can REALLY come in handy in close range. Pretty difficult soemtimes, IMO, but useful, especially on small stages like yoshi story. You can wd across that entire stage in an instant and keep the pressure even on Marths and Falcons who are good at that stage.

As far as advanced techs go... I'd say the most important and most difficult thing to get used to is dead-on accuracy, especially with the small hitboxes of the aerials, dash attack, ice blocks, smashes, everything. You can be really beastly if you're not missing bairs. Accuracy is a great thing to master.

Try wd tilts when you're on the aggressive. Approaching with nairs and fairs can also be useful. It's just a matter of opening yourself to new options besides bread-and-butter grabbing and desynchs.

Edge infinite and wobblez are also fun to learn. I used to not like it before, but now I support the use of the infinite(s) lol.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
something I like to do just for the sake of damage is dthrow to nana fair to pop usmash and uair chase

Delphiki

Smash Champion
chok ask Park if he approves of my Freeze Glitching...lol

What are Iceys?
Baby don't Freeze me...
no more..

I agree with what chok is saying about fluidity - against non-FFers or a DIing Fox you need to be very manipulable with your placement of attacks. For example I spent the weekend training against a Fox who is one of the best in NorCal and a good Marth. Against the Fox I finally got some practice using the correct DtDair (you have to run forward a bit and jump, just short of Nanapulting - compliments of Azn_Lep) and against the Marth I got combos like Dt, N-Nair, P-Bair, and then kept pressure with N-Uair (missed) to trap them with a charged F-Smash at the edge of the stage.

Unless you're playing Falco, C. Falcon, or somebody who sucks at DIing, you should go ahead and start off with the basics, but pay close attention to your opponent and switch things up as soon as they start escaping.

Binx

Smash Master
Do you run while doing the d throw or during the headbutt?

@ Chok - the reason I am asking is so I have more options, I don't just use grabs, the vids of me that are up are horrible but I really am a lot better now both as a player and more specifically I dont mess up stupid things as much as I used to. I am a lot more fluid and I trust my ICs now.

It took me a few weeks to really be confident that my ICs are my best character but I put a LOT of work into them, I read a ton and I practice alot, even against Peaches and Marths. I think I will end up seconding Sheik for those 2 match ups but if at all possible I want to be confortable with the ICs always.

Right now I use ICs my own way, I dont copy other people's styles and that makes me really happy, I just want to learn all my options so when the times show up for me to get an easy grab or an easy desynch combo, or even better if I accidently desynch I will learn how to keep them going.

Top Bottom