• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wish Smash fans would care more about how the game plays and less about the characters in the game

Quillion

Smash Hero
Topic says it all.

I know that some competitive players focus on how the game plays, but even they are moving on to other platform fighters, so even that crowd is diminishing.

Even then, as someone who has bounced off of competitive, I just find Smash rather stagnant gameplay-wise at this point, but without a crowd begging for a big gameplay change (as has happened/is hapenning with franchises like Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, or Resident Evil), I really don't see Smash breaking out of its stagnation.

ThiagoCavalcanteCarvalho

Smash Apprentice
We need a better game, not more characters
The game ends up heading in the direction of those generic Mugen amateurs

for example, let's discuss Revamps and gameplay changes

Final Smash included in battles without being able to remove it from the game

Counter becomes something that all characters can do if you attack after a combo breaker defending at the right time, including in the air, with certain characters having an easier combo breaker, a stronger counter or with more options...

An incentive for championships with Spirits even if this has rules to limit the use of certain cards for certain characters

Quillion

Smash Hero
for example, let's discuss Revamps and gameplay changes
If we need Revamps, they should do it like Omega Mode in Ultra Street Fighter 4 or EX forms in some King of Fighters games. Give some characters new tools to play with as an option, but keep the old moveset intact.

Final Smash included in battles without being able to remove it from the game
Not with the wide variance in how FS works now.

But I'm still advocating for a more "balanced" form of supers. Pretty much how it's done here actually. And I still think FS would still work on top of that as its own thing.

Counter becomes something that all characters can do if you attack after a combo breaker defending at the right time, including in the air, with certain characters having an easier combo breaker, a stronger counter or with more options...
I have been mulling about the idea of replacing spotdodge with a universal counter actually.

An incentive for championships with Spirits even if this has rules to limit the use of certain cards for certain characters
It could work as an extension of For Fun from Smash 4 if anything. Not so much for a ranked mode.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Honestly, I'm inclined to agree. Part of the reason I personally think the idea of a Smash reboot is so appealing is because it really gives a great opportunity to meaningfully develop the game's mechanics - which, if you think about it, haven't changed all that much since Melee (albeit with the exception of a couple of minor tweaks here and there, and the addition of more character-specific gimmicks) - but also the opportunity to retool a lot of other things as needed, whether it be small-scale nitty-gritty elements like tweaking dodging mechanics, non-gameplay stuff like reworking how alts/model swaps work, etc.

While there's a lot of ways to handle changes and a lot of ideas for what they should be, I think the main thing is to hone in on what identity the Smash series should have going forward. A better sense of identity in terms of gameplay, mechanics, marketing and overall design would significantly help in a lot of areas.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
new mode = Tag Team , = can swap between 2 characters

Mini Games

8 Pool
7 Mini-Golf
6 Hot Potato
5 Volleyball
4 Maze Race w/ Portals
3 Obstacle races
2 Basketball & invincible characters
1 Soccer & invincible characters

WHY ? , attracting casuals , otherwise overwhelmed by regular game-play

Get their own buttons = Grab , & , Final Smash

Extra power Special meter = charges via ; dealing ( damage & knockback )

The Special moves get fixed so ;

Side special can be used in all 3 ( advantage , neutral & disadvantage )
Up special can be used in 2 ( advantage , & , disadvantage )
Neutral special cab be used in 2 ( advantage & neutral )
Down special is to be used in advantage

Quillion

Smash Hero
new mode = Tag Team , = can swap between 2 characters
So Squad Strike with a swap feature.

Mini Games

8 Pool
7 Mini-Golf
6 Hot Potato
5 Volleyball
4 Maze Race w/ Portals
3 Obstacle races
2 Basketball & invincible characters
1 Soccer & invincible characters
These sound nice.

Get their own buttons = Grab , & , Final Smash
Grab already has its own button.

FS, again, is fine replacing neutral-B. If we need a super with its own button, they should make it a separate thing.

Extra power Special meter = charges via ; dealing ( damage & knockback )
Yes, supers should be powered by this meter and kept separate from FS.

Up special can be used in 2 ( advantage , & , disadvantage )
I wouldn't mind if they remove helpless across the board so that "recovery" attacks can be used as actual attacks.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Grab already has its own button.

Quillion Quillion , this is true, in a barely technical sense.

However , if you look at how it is performed it is ( Shield + attack ).

Therefore what i want is for the move to NOT require ( Shield + attack ) , & be it own separate move / button

Quillion

Smash Hero
Quillion Quillion , this is true, in a barely technical sense.

However , if you look at how it is performed it is ( Shield + attack ).

Therefore what i want is for the move to NOT require ( Shield + attack ) , & be it own separate move / button
The reason why it's this way is because shield grabbing is the basic method of acting out of shield.

If you make it so that shield isn't "required", what changes?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I won't have any possibility of doing a move i don't plan on.
On one hand, I'd like more out-of-shield variety.

On the other, doing any move out of shield will just make shields overpowering.

I think it would be more reasonable to make throws more "standard" with forward and back throws being keepaway oriented while up and down throws are combo oriented. Then layer throws with a super mechanic so we have "super throws", which can kill but consume meter.

Top Bottom