• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U I completed "Clear All-Star on Hard with 8 characters" challenge without actually doing it (video)

CCD23

Smash Cadet
So I had something interesting happen yesterday. I was working on some of the remaining challenges I had left, one of them being the "Clear All-Star on Hard difficulty with 8 or more characters" challenge. I had already beat All-Star on Hard with Ike, Duck Hunt and Lucario in order to complete a few other challenges, so I proceed to play it on Hard with Mario and beat it after a few tries.

Then... the game completes the challenge for me afterwards. Huh? Well... OK.

To prove this happened, I captured this video with my video capture device and uploaded it:

I was actually planning on completing this challenge legitimately... :ohwell:

But anyway, I was wondering if anybody else had something like this happen to them? Maybe for this same challenge or a different one? Or perhaps someone has a theory about what caused this to happen? It's not a big deal to me, but I figured it would be an interesting point of discussion nonetheless.

Here's some more information about it that I put in the YouTube video description:

I don't know if it matters, but for the purposes of trying to figure out why I cleared this challenge too early, here are the All-Star-related challenges I cleared and about in what order AS BEST AS I CAN REMEMBER THEM. Please note that I took a "kill two birds with one stone" approach when I could.

1. with Ike on Hard

2/3. with Lucario on Normal or higher (I did it on Hard to complete the "Clear the true All-Star mode on hard difficulty" challenge at the same time.)

4. with Zero Suit Samus not using any recovery items (did it on Easy)

5/6. with Captain Falcon not using any recovery items on Normal or higher (did it on Normal) [At the same time, doing this also completed the "Clear the true All-Star mode on normal difficulty or higher without healing between rounds" challenge.]

7. with Shulk in less than six minutes (did it on Easy)

8. with Duck Hunt on Hard

9. with Jigglypuff in less than six minutes (did it on Easy)

Then I beat it on Hard with Mario and afterwards, the challenge gets cleared. Hmmm.
As far as theories, go, Mario seems to be the eighth character that I beat the mode with (regardless of the difficulty setting I played most of the other characters on.) So maybe something got messed up in the game's code with keeping track of the difficulty settings? :confused: Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's...actually really odd. I have no idea why that would have happened.

You didn't do it with any other characters in Co-Op, right?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
If the OP is true, then maybe there is an error in the challenge condition where only the 8th (or higher) character that you use has to beat it on Hard, and it gives you the challenge. Makes me wonder if the "Beat All Star on Hard with all fighters" challenge can be beaten by first beating All Star with everyone on any difficulty, then beating it on Hard with one character. Maybe someone could test this?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If the OP is true, then maybe there is an error in the challenge condition where only the 8th (or higher) character that you use has to beat it on Hard, and it gives you the challenge. Makes me wonder if the "Beat All Star on Hard with all fighters" challenge can be beaten by first beating All Star with everyone on any difficulty, then beating it on Hard with one character. Maybe someone could test this?
No way in hell I'm testing that. If no error happened, I'd have to do All-Star twice with everyone! :p

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Challenges like this don't count Mii Fighters.
Actually, this particular one does count a Mii fighter as one toward it. I know this for fact because a Mii fighter was among my first eight to beat All-Star on Hard. I only beat it with seven standard fighters when I earned this challenge.

Top Bottom