• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I -AM- Electricity!" -- Azure Striker Gunvolt Zaps into Battle!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

Welcome to the Gunvolt support thread!

Gunvolt is the main character of Azure Striker Gunvolt, a downloadable game for the Nintendo 3DS. As you might have guessed already, Gunvolt has the power to manipulate electricity. The game was directed by the same man whom directed the Mega Man games. The game so far has seen pretty good reception.

After the game's European release ('bout bloody time!), I finally had the chance to play this game and thought it was absolutely phenomenal. The gameplay concept is very unique, and for an action-platformer, it has a very deep and emotive story. Despite its short length, the game has loads of replay value. A big gift in a small parcel.

Azure Striker Gunvolt takes place in a futuristic timeline on Earth. The story begins when Gunvolt is sent by an organisation QUILL to assassinate a musical celebrity named Lumen, whose powers over the human mind is being used by a villainous group called Sumeragi. But when he finds that Lumen is just a telepathic projection of a young girl named Joule, his conscience gets in the way of his duty, and instead of killing Joule, he betrays QUILL and rescues her. With both QUILL and Sumeragi now at his throat, Gunvolt is left all alone to protect Joule and overthrow Sumeragi.

The reason I really want Gunvolt in Smash is that, given his abilities and his cool, memorable look, he would be an excellent and unique fighter in Smash whom would stand out nicely. I also think Azure Striker Gunvolt is the start of a very promising series, and what better way to promote and extend the series by adding Gunvolt in Smash?

To cut right to the chase, I posted some gameplay videos, music, and a moveset below, so you lot can have a good idea just how unique Gunvolt can be.

It's not every day you find a game that has a large array of catchy, memorable tunes. I guarantee you at least one of these will stick in your head, or your money back.

♪ 1st Sumeragi - Released Thunder
♪ 1st Sumeragi - Infiltration
♪ Beyond the Blue (Lumen)
♪ Abyss ~ Subaquatic Military Base
♪ Conflagration ~ Sumeragi Biochemical Plant
♪ Garden ~ Pharmaceutical Lab
♪ Lightning Strikes
♪ Kaleidoscape ~ Sinner's Row

♪ Cold Vengeance
♪ Nova, The Mighty
♪ Reincarnation (Lumen)

[collapse="Moveset (WARNING! Contains multiple animated GIFs)"]
-Index-
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab Attacks
7). Final Smash

Summary

Gunvolt is all about speed. The focus of his playstyle is building up damage as quickly as possible, then move in for the kill. Gunvolt's main gimmick is his Electrical Power (EP) gauge. Two of Gunvolt's special moves deplete his EP gauge, and one refills it. Taking damage will also slightly deplete Gunvolt's EP gauge. If Gunvolt's EP gauge is completely emptied, he will enter Overheat. During Overheat, Gunvolt's EP gauge will slowly refill, but he will not be able to use most of his special attacks, and he will take more damage than normal. When Gunvolt is not taking damage and is not expending any EP, his EP gauge will automatically start to slowly refill after a few seconds.

1). Jab & Dash Attack:

Jab 1: Gunvolt nimbly backhand punches the opponent.
Jab 2: Gonvolt follows up with a pistol whip.
Jab 3: Gunvolt finishes the combo by turning around, placing his gun hand on the ground, then dealing a powerful push kick that knocks the opponent away.

Dash Attack: With blinding speed, Gunvolt slides forward like a baseball player, his body surrounded by electricity. Gunvolt goes straight through opponents, dealing little knockback but multiple hits. (Author's Note: This move is based on boss Viper's slide attack, the only difference being Gunvolt uses electricity instead of fire).

2). Tilt Attacks:

Forward Tilt: In a swift motion, Gunvolt spins on one foot, performing a spin kick with his other foot.

Upward Tilt: With cat-like speed, Gunvolt performs a back flip, sending the opponent in the air with a strong push-kick. (Author's Note: This move was inspired by Kyusuke Kagami, a playable character in Rival Schools, developed by Capcom).

Downward Tilt: In a lightling-fast motion, Gunvolt thrusts his foot along the ground, kicking the opponent. Like Ness's down-tilt, this move has almost zero ending lag and can be done repetitively.

3). Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Gunvolt draws back his free arm, conjuring a ball of electricity, then thrusts his hand into the opponent. This move doesn't do much knockback, even at higher percentages, but has a paralysing effect.

Upward Smash: Gunvolt crosses his hands, surrounding his body with electricity, then unleashes the electricity upwards in a straight line. This move doesn't do much knockback, but has a paralysing effect. Quick startup.

Downward Smash: Gunvolt punches the ground with his free hand, sending a surge of electricity along the ground in both directions. The electricity does multiple hits and paralyses opponents, leaving them open for attack. Slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move is based on an attack the true final boss uses, whose identity I will not reveal due to spoilers.)

4). Aerial Attacks:

Note: Unlike the other wingless humanoids in Smash, Gunvolt has multiple jumps. After his initial jump, Gunvolt can air-jump up to three times. However, each jump consumes a little EP. Gunvolt can also wall-jump.

Neutral Aerial (Astra Sphere): Gunvolt unleashes a powerful discharge that damages opponents multiple times before blowing them away. Instant startup, and reaches pretty far, but like Greninja's neutral aerial, has a short duration.

Forward Aerial (Air Dash): Surrounded by electricity, Gunvolt flies forward in a straight line with blinding speed, shocking any opponent he collides with. To prevent recovery abuse, Gunvolt can only use this move once in the air before he lands or grabs a ledge.

Backward Aerial: Gunvolt swiftly performs a pushing kick behind him. Instant startup.

Upward Aerial: Gunvolt backflips, kicking any opponent above him in an arc.

Downward Aerial: Gunvolt performs a fast diving kick at a steep diagonal angle, his body surrounded by electricity. Gunvolt goes straight through opponents, dealing little knockback but multiple hits. (Author's Note: This move is based on boss Viper's diving kick, the only difference being Gunvolt uses electricity instead of fire).

5). Special Attacks:

Neutral Special (Naga Bolt): Gunvolt fires a weak electric round from his pistol, Naga, that sticks to the opponent. Up to five rounds can be stuck to opponents, after which the last round that was stuck will disappear. You can either stick multiple opponents, or stick up to three rounds in a single opponent. You can also either fire rapidly by repeatedly pressing the special button, or hold down the special button for a charge shot. The charge shot does little damage, but it can go straight through walls, shields, and other solid objects. It is also much faster than a normal shot.

Side Special (Luxcalibur): Gunvolt zaps the opponent(s) with a giant sword made of condensed electricity. The move deals very high knockback even at low percentages, has very high horizontal range, long duration, and is Gunvolt's primary kill move. As a price, however, Gunvolt will immediately enter Overheat after using this move. Slightly slow startup. If this move is used in the air, Gunvolt's descent will be halted, but he will enter helpless frames soon after. Lastly, to prevent abuse, the more times in a row this move is used, the longer Overheat will be.

Upward Special (Flash Field): Gunvolt surrounds himself in a large forcefield of electricity. Any opponent within the forcefield will be damaged repeatedly, and anyone with a Naga Bolt stuck on them will be zapped (whether they're close or afar). How much damage a stuck opponent takes depends on how many Naga Bolts they have in them. The Flash Field can also completely block physical projectiles--BUT, it will have no effect on energy projectiles. For instance, it can block Samus's missiles or Link's arrow's, but Samus's charge laser and Pit's arrows will go right through it. When used in the air, Gunvolt's descent will be slowed. Whilst this move is in effect, Gunvolt's EP gauge will slowly deplete.

Downward Special (Recharge): Gunvolt accelerates his cool-down time, refilling his EP gauge almost instantly. During the move, however, Gunvolt is helpless, so use wisely. This move can only be used on the ground, and cannot be used during Overheat.

6). Grab Attacks:

Grab: Gunvolt nimbly grabs the opponent with his free hand. Has a fairly long range for a character of his height.

Pummel: Gunvolt electrocutes the opponent by channeling electricity through his arm. A tiny bit slower than Pit's pummel.

Forward Throw: Gunvolt sends the opponent flying with a rising kick.

Backward Throw: Similar to Fox, Gunvolt will throw the opponent away and fire at them. Afterwards, the opponent will have three Naga Bolts stuck to them.

Upward Throw: Similar to Fox, Gunvolt will throw the opponent straight up in the air and fire at them. Afterwards, the opponent will have three Naga Bolts stuck to them.

Downward Throw: Similar to Fox, Gunvolt will slam the opponent to the ground and fire multiple shots into them. After this move, the opponent will have three Naga Bolts stuck to them.

7). Final Smash (Voltaic Chains): Cutting loose with all his power, Gunvolt summons a barrage of electrified chains that lash across the screen. Once the entire screen is all but covered, the chains explode with a powerful discharge, instantly killing everyone they touch.
[/collapse]

What say you lot?

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Gunvolt is like Super Meat Boy: It's cool that their companies are supporting their inclusion, but the fact their series's either A. Aren't super well known like Shovel Knight and B. Have no real Nintendo recognization.

Supported? Yes. Likely? Not so much

Altais

Smash Champion
Yeah, it is true that Gunvolt isn't very likely, given the reasons stated above, and the fact that his series is very recent. And honestly, as much as I want him in, I do not have high hopes.

Nevertheless, I think Gunvolt's inclusion would be a good way to prolong his series--which, so far, has had a very good start. And unlike Meat Boy, at least Gunvolt has appeared on a Nintendo platform. Business-wise, it's a dangerous gambit, but if it succeeds, it will be a well chosen one.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Gunvolt is like Super Meat Boy: It's cool that their companies are supporting their inclusion, but the fact their series's either A. Aren't super well known like Shovel Knight and B. Have no real Nintendo recognization.

Supported? Yes. Likely? Not so much
While I'm certainly not saying that Gunvolt is likely, one thing that sets him apart from other indie game protagonists such as Shovel Knight is that his game has been released in North America, Japan, and Europe. But overall, I feel like the chances of seeing an indie character in general are slim.

Altais

Smash Champion
I don't know too much about Shovel Knight, so I can't really say much, though judging by the videos I've seen, in terms of moveset I think Gunvolt has much more to offer than Shovel Knight. I will admit, though, Shovel Knight does look like a very unique and well-made game.

slambros

Smash Ace
I've never played Azure Striker Gunvolt, but I'd like to support the protagonist anyways. The game looks pretty good.

Altais

Smash Champion
I don't know if I should keep up mine hopes for Gunvolt's inclusion anymore. Though he would undoubtedly have a totally unique playstyle in Smash, he has the extreme disadvantage of recentness and obscurity. Since Smash DLC is fanservice, I fancy Gunvolt would have a hard time competing with the more popular choices like King K. Rool. If he was revealed for Smash, most people probably wouldn't even know whom he is; it could create a terrible backlash. Furthermore, I don't know how Sakurai feels about indie franchises.

As much as I want Gunvolt in Smash, I honestly don't think he has a shot in hell.

Top Bottom