• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would people Feel about Clones as DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Clone characters are a very touchy subject in the Smash Bros. community. People generally fall into one of two categories: either they like clones as they feel like they are a quick way to expand the roster (and they generally feel like most clones play distinctly enough from their base character to make them worth having) and people that feel that clones take development time away from possible unique characters (and make the game harder to balance, a lot of these people also support clone characters as alt costumes.)

I was thinking about the clone "issue," and also about possible character DLC in Smash 4. I doubt that many new and unique characters will be offered as DLC. Sakurai likes to have a very close hand in the design and implementation of new characters, and he will likely need (and deserve) some time off after game development. On top of this, I am sure he would like to start work on another project without having too worry TOO much about Smash.

So, what about melee style clones as DLC? As DLC they would not take development time away from the main game. They would be fairly easy to implement, and I would love to play as new characters after launch. Who wouldn't want to play as Roy (if he doesn't make the cut) or another Fire Emblem new comer, or an F-Zero racer with a modified Captain Falcon move set or maybe even Bowser Jr. as a speedy Bowser? (I know he has enough move set potential to be a unique character, but a small fast Bowser sounds like fun as well.) What are everyone's thoughts on this?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well, sure. That doesn't sound too bad at all.

Plus, it would give all of those poor fools who think Roy is returning something to look forward to. I'd be on board for this.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I fully support DLC for Smash as long as it's done well, and I trust Sakurai and Nintendo to do it well. Clones would be a good way to do that, but I would like to see "new" characters as well.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Plus, it would give all of those poor fools who think Roy is returning something to look forward to. I'd be on board for this.
I may or may not be one of those Roy fools. #keephopealive

Speculator

Smash Ace
Introducing new characters - even Melee style clones - could mean that launch characters would require rebalancing in patches. "Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication." This means the more characters that get added increases the workload required for all the other characters, because the new characters have to be taken into account when deciding on their strengths and weaknesses. A new character can quite noticeably alter the roster landscape, and I think that's more important than ever in SSB4 where they seem to be taking game balance much more seriously than previous games.

That said, lots of fighting games do this anyway so it's not impossible. What I wouldn't want to happen is to have a favorite character noticeably change every time a new DLC clone was released. So it depends how often they show up.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Introducing new characters - even Melee style clones - could mean that launch characters would require rebalancing in patches. "Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication." This means the more characters that get added increases the workload required for all the other characters, because the new characters have to be taken into account when deciding on their strengths and weaknesses. A new character can quite noticeably alter the roster landscape, and I think that's more important than ever in SSB4 where they seem to be taking game balance much more seriously than previous games.

That said, lots of fighting games do this anyway so it's not impossible. What I wouldn't want to happen is to have a favorite character noticeably change every time a new DLC clone was released. So it depends how often they show up.
I am personally hoping for balance patches regardless, but I see this as more of a reason for clones. Seeing as balancing is so much work, adding that work load to everything that it would take to make a unique character would be quite a large amount of work. I'm all for unique DLC characters, and it might happen, I just think clones would be an easier option. (Really hope to see some DLC levels, as well.)

Morbi

Scavenger
I am an advocate of this idea. Personally, I fall into the first category, I love clones. None of the Smash clones are even close to actual clones, the play-style might be the same, but the actual characters and how they function differ significantly. I usually main the clone variant anyways, they offer an interesting take on an original concept. So they are usually inherently more unique as they need additional thought divulged into their conception.

As many are aware, Black Shadow is one of my most anticipated characters, so this would be a great opportunity to implement him without imputing Ganondorf's move-set to Black Shadow.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of clones as DLC. Seems much more likely, at least, than original movesets as DLC. It's just a matter of whether or not DLC characters are really gonna happen. If they are, I think characters like Roy and Pichu are pretty much a given.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'd be fine with this.

Some ideas:
Daisy (Peach)
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Kiddy Kong (Diddy Kong)
Young Link (Link)
Demise (Ganondorf)
Gooey (Kirby)
Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
Dark Samus (Samus)
Pichu (Pikachu)
Igglybuff (Jigglypuff)
Tom Nook (Villager)
Alph (Olimar)
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon)
Roy (Marth)
Ninten (Ness)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for clones. The more characters the better. I don't think there will be DLC for Smash, but having DLC clones would be an acceptable idea.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord

I don't think Roy is returning but really would like him too, he actually has a chance if it is small.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I wouldn't really want to pay for clones. But maybe if Sakurai were to release a clone with a unique character as DLC I'd buy.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Clone characters are a very touchy subject in the Smash Bros. community. People generally fall into one of two categories: either they like clones as they feel like they are a quick way to expand the roster (and they generally feel like most clones play distinctly enough from their base character to make them worth having) and people that feel that clones take development time away from possible unique characters (and make the game harder to balance, a lot of these people also support clone characters as alt costumes.)

I was thinking about the clone "issue," and also about possible character DLC in Smash 4. I doubt that many new and unique characters will be offered as DLC. Sakurai likes to have a very close hand in the design and implementation of new characters, and he will likely need (and deserve) some time off after game development. On top of this, I am sure he would like to start work on another project without having too worry TOO much about Smash.

So, what about melee style clones as DLC? As DLC they would not take development time away from the main game. They would be fairly easy to implement, and I would love to play as new characters after launch. Who wouldn't want to play as Roy (if he doesn't make the cut) or another Fire Emblem new comer, or an F-Zero racer with a modified Captain Falcon move set or maybe even Bowser Jr. as a speedy Bowser? (I know he has enough move set potential to be a unique character, but a small fast Bowser sounds like fun as well.) What are everyone's thoughts on this?
I like this idea personally. It is just like DLC costumes if you think about it and I love character costumes! :love:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Actually this would be perfect.

People who are against DLC seem to complain it'll affect the balance when new characters are introduced. If said characters are clones, then;
  1. They won't affect the balance so much
  2. They won't be difficult to create
  3. The DLC will seem very much optional, and down to personal taste. You don't NEED Pichu, Doc or Roy, but if you want em; you can get them.
And yes, this would be pretty much a perfect way to get those last Melee vets back in; Roy, Pichu, Doc and even Young Link could be very simple Clones thus bringing EVERYONE from past Smash games back.

Considering how wanted Roy is in Japan, and even somewhat in the west this is a good idea especially for his inclusion.

I just wonder if Falco, Wolf or Lucas as semi clones will be counted in this DLC should they not return in the vanilla game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd like to see this after they've included the characters who are inevitably going to be cut from the Brawl roster. Would be a good way to include Roy and a few of the other cut Melee clones, and perhaps even new ones like Dark Samus.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I like clones if they're actually legit characters like Falco and Roy. Crap like Doctor Mario and Pichu can stay far away, thanks.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not really against it.

My only concern would be that the most wanted dlc fighters would probably be very unique characters that wouldn't make for very satisfying clones.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I like clones if they're actually legit characters like Falco and Roy. Crap like Doctor Mario and Pichu can stay far away, thanks.
Falco isn't a clone he is a semi-clone. Roy, Dr. and Pichu are clones.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm okay with characters like these being DLC. That way, the main roster can be filled with many more unique and popular choices. And that clones, such as Roy can have the chance they couldn't have before in Brawl. I honestly can see many reasons as to why this wouldn't be a good idea.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I do not like the idea of clones at all in smash. If there is any DLC, then I would hope they would be full blown original characters.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Not true.

Different B

Falco jumps higher

Falco has slower footspeed

:falcomelee: = Semi-clone
Being a clone doesn't mean being a model swap. It means that he's clearly based on another character, and his animations are recycled from that character. Falco is a clone. Roy is a clone. Ganondorf is a clone. Luigi is a clone in 64.

Wolf and Brawl!Luigi are examples of semi-clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom