• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to prevent "Character Main Rotation"?

Bright Arconi

Smash Rookie
Now this isn't in a bad thing for every Smash player that has had this happen. This is just a problem I have occurred many times through playing Brawl and onward in the series, I know choice is dependent on the player's views, but this is what I mean.

In Brawl, and now Smash 4, I used to switch from Main to Main and still do, I remember that in Brawl I played Marth and Kirby and then I went to Lucas, Luigi, and Diddy Kong. Similar with Smash 4, recently, I stopped playing Peach and Dr. Mario and started playing Kirby and Roy. And maybe in some weeks or a month or so, my mains will have switched, who knows? My main in a month might be Villager or Lucario. I'm starting to think that I should stay with a certain character and stick with it. But I think a main problem with that is eventually getting bored in playing the character and I want to change to something else. Though if I play competitively, I should really stick to what I already have and keep it as it is. Are there any ways I could possibly prevent any sort of switch in my current characters? I know this is really dependent on the mind of the player, but I thought I should bring this up since I encounter this problem many times in my competitive play.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Hmm yes, yes....I would also like to know. :0 Though i at least restrain myself from calling anyone a 'main'. I just find myself using alot more of the characters as time goes by. But still, i want a main. :(

Basically from what i can decipher from this predicament, is that it should tie down to the point of which character you like the absolute most. Simple.^_^

Whether its from the game they are from to their voice actor or the teir list. Just whatever suits you, good or bad, and work with what you have to proficiency. (^_^)☆ forgive grammer x)

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Just take this quiz that I made for people like you who have trouble finding a good main.
Answer it honestly and for every question that you answer with yes give yourself a point. Then read the advice below that is mapped to your score.

Do you like cool characters?
Do you like good characters?
Do you like awesome characters?
Do you like magnificent characters?
Do you like spectacular characters?
Do you like formidable characters?
Do you like great characters?
Do you like amazing characters?

Score:
0-2: Main R.O.B.
2-4: Main R.O.B.
4-6: Main R.O.B.
7-8: Main R.O.B.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Stay with whatever character and if you start to get bored, go online and try to play like you're in a tourny. If you find yourself still bored (no comp), take a break and read up on FG fundamentals so you can try out different styles and ways to play MUs and opponents.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If you can stick with one character that you are proficient enough with to call a "main," then it's fine to switch. Sounds like you just have a lot of secondaries.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Basically what MarioMeteor said. It's fine to switch around because playing the same character all the time can get repetitive and boring.

I have a handful of secondaries myself along with other characters I play just for fun when I'm fooling around.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wouldn't know. While I call Villager my main, I can't play them over and over again without boring myself. So I have "a few" secondaries...

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I personally keep the other characters I like as secondaries! But it's way better to have a few rather than many. I would recommend to play more often the characters that you have a bigger chance to win.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Don't fight the switch, do what's most fun.

Or, wait until the patch hits, and pick whoever the new best is. That's your best bet from a competitive stance.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
While I do consider Rosalina and Mega Man as my true mains, if I feel like I want to switch to other characters to play as, then I'll switch to whoever I choose and go from there. Aside from those two and the other three you see on my signature, I also play as Ike, Lucina, Ganondorf, Fox and Roy. While I don't consider those as my secondaries, they are characters that I pick up and play as from time to time.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
You know, I have the same problem. I would always switch characters to underused ones so I can seem the best by comparison, but I decided just to stick with Robin. He's my favorite videogame character, so that's why I main him to this day. I don't care how much weeaboos play him, the important part is that I like Robin.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I have multiple mains: Link, Charizard, Bowser, Ganondorf, Ryu, Roy, Bowser Jr, Little Mac, and Ike.

I try to master a character, and then I get bored because I feel like I cannot get any better with him, and then I try mastering another character I like.

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
I'd say your "main" is the one character you enjoy plating the most and are also experienced at playing as that character. Those two things are what I believe define someones "main" character. If you just enjoy playing another character for fun, somewhat good, or trying to learn how to use it, then those can be considered your secondaries. I thinks it's fine to have a couple of secondaries (hell, I have a few secondaries, but I don't see myself maining them anytime soon).

Bright Arconi

Smash Rookie
Thanks all, so much support for this is really helpful. Just recently, I've been picking up Little Mac and have now alternated my main and secondaries, so Roy is now my main since I do really well with him and I second with Kirby. I just tend to abandon characters I played before because, as I mentioned, I get bored playing them. I'll try and stick with these characters and find more to play when I feel that another character is suited for me. Been playing competitive Smash since the middle of Brawl's lifespan before Smash 4 was announced, so I've been on and off with characters a lot when playing them in a competitive manner. But really, thanks you guys for the support on this topic again.

Top Bottom