• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to melee: S.D's video analysis and discussion thread - POST QUESTIONS!

S.D

Smash Master
Hey guys, welcome to my new series, How to melee: S.D's video analysis thread.

I've decided it's time Australia pooled its collective smash knowledge and began fostering growth and improvement to become better as a regional collective. To this end I will be doing some Youtube match reviews of Australian smashers.

If you have a recorded match you would like a critique on, please post below with the link and any specific requests.

All videos will be uploaded to my channel, and possibly melbourne melee sometime in future.

To begin with I will be doing reviews for anyone who helps out @ Redact Redact with his donation drive to offset some bogus costs he incurred with the Armada visit, see this thread for details.

Below are the links to completed match reviews.

PCG v attila

Splice v Kelots

Tak v Smoking Puppy

Hughie v Lucky

Splice v Dekar

Timic v S.D

Meredyse v PCG

Miles v PCG

unreon v Skeletom

Grim v Oli

Hope you guys get something out of these videos, please comment below with any feedback, further questions, suggestions, ideas and of course, your videos! I'm also interested to know what sort of length is appropriate, as my pilot episode went MUCH longer than anticipated. Equally if you think this is bogus trash let me know so I don't waste my time lol.

Hopefully this thread can become a place to generate some interesting discussion, so please feel free to post any follow up questions and we'll discuss in the thread.

I will be your smash analyst and therapist, the world's second analrapist.

EDIT: updated with Splice v Kelots
updated with Tak v Smopup (8/9/14)
updated with Hughie v Lucky (10/9/14)
updated with Splice v Dekar (13/9/14)
updated with Timic v S.D, Miles v PCG, Meredyse v PCG (28/9/14)
updated with Grim v Oli, unreon v Skeletom (1/10/14)

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
The amount of research material available to me already is ridiculous, and with these coming along too there's going to be an incredible amount of stuff I have to ponder before I start putting fingers to controller. I'm really excited!

Thanks heaps for this SD, so keen to see where these vids take me.
I really hope a lot of people can get a lot out of these vids too.
Hugely appreciated man!

Basty

Smash Ace
oh yes this seems good, while there is no videos of me, could you analyze tom vs unreon? (ssv so ya know) that would be cool

Bu$

HoC
I'd appreciate if you could analyse this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYZ5FBGVBQ

Why'd I get rekt so hard?
Lucky is pretty good at that game, that's why. In all seriousness you need to chill out a bit and not just laser approach allllllll the time. It's good against falcon but falco has more tools to catch him out. Seem like you need to learn OOS options too which falco has some good ones.

Anders

Smash Rookie
I just wrote a massive feedback essay only for my page to be randomly redirected to that "website is offline | error 520" ****.

After reloading, the draft only saved the first two lines.

I'll come back and write it again later. Too salty right now. ****.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I just wrote a massive feedback essay only for my page to be randomly redirected to that "website is offline | error 520" ****.

After reloading, the draft only saved the first two lines.

I'll come back and write it again later. Too salty right now. ****.
Why I no see you at SS?

On topic, Sam, this is super ****ing good man! Thanks a million for spending a whole hour on me v attila!

Last edited:

Anders

Smash Rookie
**** it, I'll just re-write what I can remember now. The salty re-write in a Word document. Attempt 2.

I absolutely love these. I've been watching a bunch of Winnarly's analysis videos lately because I'm really trying to get a better understanding of character match ups, neutral game etc. The decided majority of my playing time is spent against CPUs, so it really helps in giving my guidelines for how to play against certain characters.

I wouldn't worry about them going for too long. As long as you're not repeating yourself too much or going over the same concepts ad nauseam, I think length can be indicative of depth. The longer the better. People are going to watch match analyses to learn things, not for a quick few minutes of entertainment. The more you explain each decision the players made and why that was good/bad or what they could have done differently, the more the people watching will learn. Length is good.

Also, if you haven't seen any of Winnarly's videos already, I'd recommend checking them out. It might give you a bit of an idea of what works/doesn't work when analysing Melee, and from there you can either implement some of those things or make sure to leave them out. Personally, I really like that he slows down the replays. It gives him more time to analyse the more subtle movement decisions, and also makes it easier for me to keep up so I'm not having to constantly rewind the 3 seconds of in-game time he's analysing. Melee is fast, man.

Watching the PCG vs Attilla video, there have been a number of times where the players have made a less-than-optimal decision and you've paused the video to go over some of the better options that were available. But, there were also times where you'd acknowledged that the players had made a questionable decision (PCG shortening his side-b's in punishable ways or going for overzealous shine bairs for example) but just kept going on with the match leaving me to wonder what he could have done instead. Recovering against Marth is something I really struggle with, so it would have been cool for you to say something like “instead of double jumping and shortening at this height like he did, when Marth is in this position like he is here, the Fox could have double jumped to this spot/height and illusioned/shortened/platform cancelled, or double jumped to here and firefoxed on these possible angles”, or something like that.

I wrote more before but I can't remember it and somebody is asking to play netplay. Also, I'm really lazy. I absolutely loved what I've seen so far though and I'll be sure to watch most of these (definitely every one that involves a Fox). Good stuff man.

S.D

Smash Master
Thanks for the feedback! The more constructive criticism on my constructive criticism the more constructive this whole thing will become! I'll be sure to check out Winnarly and get some ideas. I think with the side b cancel I did explain that I thought just doing a normal length side b at about marth's head height would have been better, or a platform cancel side b, but I didn't spend too much time on it because I figured it was an error on his part. Regardless, I'll try to work on pointing out some better solutions to bad situations!

edit: Watching a little dose of WInnar he seems to more pick the game apart and less focus on helping players improve. BEcause he's analysing top level play it's a bit different, mainly because of differing motives. I will keep an eye on his stuff though for reference.

Last edited:

JKTS

Smash Cadet
These are really good, I hope this becomes a long running thing. I'll try and get something recorded at the next event for you to do.

Perfect length is however long it takes to say what you have to say. If you try to stretch it out or cut it down to a specific size, I think the quality will suffer.

Anders

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback! The more constructive criticism on my constructive criticism the more constructive this whole thing will become! I'll be sure to check out Winnarly and get some ideas. I think with the side b cancel I did explain that I thought just doing a normal length side b at about marth's head height would have been better, or a platform cancel side b, but I didn't spend too much time on it because I figured it was an error on his part. Regardless, I'll try to work on pointing out some better solutions to bad situations!

edit: Watching a little dose of WInnar he seems to more pick the game apart and less focus on helping players improve. BEcause he's analysing top level play it's a bit different, mainly because of differing motives. I will keep an eye on his stuff though for reference.
Yeah, I feel like any sort of constructive criticism is just going to be super nitpicky because you legitimately did an amazing job. It would be kinda silly to expect you to go over all of the options Fox has at the ledge during a match analysis where the primary focus is discussing/analysing the decisions the players actually made. It's honestly the nitpickiest nitpick ever for me to say that you could've explained his options when he was holding onto the ledge itself instead of just his options after he'd already jumped and started the side b. Also, that was one of only two examples that came to mind from what, 50 minutes of video? Nitpick'd.

The Winnarly suggestion was primarily because I think slowing down the video works really well for match analysis, even if it's just every now and then when something subtle happens or to emphasise spacing/dash dancing and things like that. I also thought that watching some of his stuff might give you some ideas of things to incorporate into your own analyses or to learn what you don't like to see/hear from a viewer's perspective.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the videos so far and I'm super keen for the Splice/Smopup analysis.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Few things I spotted too that sam didnt mention since he did sort of play by play analysis rather than overall playstyle analysis for you alex.

You don't seem to take in the current situation before you throw out moves. EG: Almost every edge guard consisted of a small flow chart for you.

Is he below the stage?
If so, run off, shine a bit low, then second jump back to the stage.
If not, run off and do a shine backair.

you need to take breathers from time to time man and actually watch what your opponent is doing and punish them rather than attempt to jump the gun and stop them before hand.

Against marth you can easily grab the edge, make him up+b onto the stage while you roll on through it below 100%, then grab him during the lag -> uthrow uair. Or time the invincibility right for the edge grab to dodge the up+b then second jump back onto the stage with a bair/ falling uair.

Another thing is to pay attention to what works at what % more. The few times I play against you myself I recall you being more suceptible to crouch cancel than anyone i remember simply because you do early nairs in at 0%. Stop doing rising nairs when people are above you and they are on low%. There are situations where you hit attila and he hits you back before you land because a full jump rising nair at 10% is just a bad choice in that situation.

React to how you hit people as well. You often hit dash attacks that went into nothing at perfect percents to do an easy bair or uair, or at lower percents utilt or simply shine to cover yourself. Drill someone once they getup on a platform is also a good option i have not seen you use. It can force a getup like a jab or makes it so you're not super exposed if you hit their sheild as you can easily do drill -> shine or grab.

You also need to laser more. Sam touched on this when he was saying why chose pkstadium and this falls into the same thing as take a breather. A good thing a fox can do is when he does knock someone off the stage at a decent % is to shoot lasers while they watch how their opponent is recovering. The idea is that you don't have to think about lazers and it lets you just watch them. Did they second jump before coming close? did they save everything for when they do get close? are they falling lower or coming in high? You get to quickly answer all these questions and determine a better edge guard while you do a single full jump triple lazer once you bair them off at 110%

A good thing you can probably implement in your game is run forward then wavedash on the spot just outside of someones immediate range. 95% of players will throw out a move at that point or sheild, and then you can just spot that and punish it. I saw you do this once but you didn't react to what your opponent was doing. he sheilded the entire time and you still dash attacked the sheild.

All these things are not a "do this always instead", theyre a "implement this into your game as well as other things". Currently when I see you, in most situations you have 1 maybe 2 tools at most that you use. You have the tech and control to implement 10 more things, but you always have the same answer for each situation which becomes predictable. EG when you're off the stage but kinda close, atilla was either countering

Another thing is when you are below the stage doing your up+b vs a marth, dont forget that you can go straight up and then fall down to grab the edge rather than going for the sweet spot. If he isn't close enough to the edge the counter will simply not be set off, and he will be stuck in the lag then you can ledge hop dair -> shine/grab again.

You have fancy tech and movement, but really it feels like you need to take a break and turn around the exact opposite direction. Spend some time playing like Dekar and taking your time when playing. Why do a nair shine nair on sheild when you can simply spot that theyre sheilding and tomahawk in? Why do you need to do a shine bair edge guard when you can simply grab the edge and roll on then punish? Melee is a game where Being the aggressor can be bad, and you seem to want to be the aggressor regardless of situation so I think you should try turn that down a notch. Dekar manages to make most of us scared and not want to move without even throwing out moves, so you can do it too.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I was curious on that last bit you posted up about there Phil in regards to Melee being a game that can punish the aggressor, so I'd put forward a bit of a question. What exactly should you be trying to do if someone is just waiting for you to come to them because they know they have the matchup advantage in that regard? I feel like everytime I can see that something like this is happening I don't have the tools necessary to deal with it. (Playing Falcon in regards to my example)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I was curious on that last bit you posted up about there Phil in regards to Melee being a game that can punish the aggressor, so I'd put forward a bit of a question. What exactly should you be trying to do if someone is just waiting for you to come to them because they know they have the matchup advantage in that regard? I feel like everytime I can see that something like this is happening I don't have the tools necessary to deal with it. (Playing Falcon in regards to my example)
Well that's a thing that hax has complained about. If someone camps you as a slow camper(link/ylink), you can spot the gaps and punish.

As a fast camper (fox/falco) then it becomes either hoping they shoot when you're too close, or having to outplay them in neutral after taking some free % from lasers. There's no way to prevent someone from shooting you when they get good chances, the best solution is to be all over them enough to make them not want to shoot but make sure its not just mindless aggression

That felt really helpful but also mean lol
Definitely appreciated though
lol soz I am internet mean man

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
Ok so episode 3 tak v spup will be up overnight, next on the agenda will be hughie v lucky followed by splice v dekar. Splice v spup will come as soon as it is uploaded!

Edit: Updated OP with Tak v Smoking Puppy

Last edited:

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Awesome thanks man, I consider the fox ditto my weakest matchup so this helps so much. A lot of the habits i've gotten are from playing Falcos most of the time so it's really helpful to get an analysis on what i'm doing out of habit from that matchup as well as what I need to work on with specifically regarding spacing and movement.

S.D

Smash Master
Makes sense, I saw a bunch of full hop nairs that would have likely caught a Falco doing SH laser so that explains that option a bit. Also guys please use this thread as a place to post any follow up questions etc to your videos and generate some discussion. More than happy to elaborate on anything and use this space as a chance for follow ups.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
It'd be interesting for you to do a little recap at the end of any fundamental stuff that came out of the set, kind of like what phil did for me.

I liked the highlighting of the specific terrible nair tak did though lol

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'll do the fundamentals parts in words for each one S.D releases in this thread unless he starts doing his own, not gonna hijack his project just adding on.

I'll be doing tak's tonight.

Also please tell me how to say stuff and not make it sound mean lol

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I think just choosing some softer language. You're really to the point. It's much harder hitting though, so there's a definite risk of softening up with people being like oh yeah i did that one time but i know better. Where as you didn't really leave room for rationalising the criticism. I had to just take it lol.

Depends on the person i guess on whether they can take it.

As far as actionable stuff, sometimes can instead of need makes the tone go from "I know better than you" (even though you do lol), to "hey, here's an idea i thought you might be interested in".
For example
you need to take breathers from time to time man and actually watch what your opponent is doing and punish them rather than attempt to jump the gun and stop them before hand.
If this instead was: "You can take breathers from time to time and try to watch what your opponent is doing and punish them rather than attempt to jump the gun and stop them before hand."
It feels a bit less harsh now.
That being said I actually think the way you went about it was the most beneficial for me, less mean would have been less impactful.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
as a special reward for meeting Redact's donation drive (and so quickly!) I will, as requested, be doing 1 video analysis myself, on my own set with SD. It will be mainly mindset and mindgame focused.

in regards to SD's excellent video analysiseseses, my 1 big tip is to replay moments at least 3-4 times (simply by tapping the left arrow key while watching) rather than pausing. a simple little thing that mango does in his and it's much more pleasing to watch and learn than a still frame.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
as a special reward for meeting Redact's donation drive (and so quickly!) I will, as requested, be doing 1 video analysis myself, on my own set with SD. It will be mainly mindset and mindgame focused.
I'm genuinely excited for this because for the first time in 7 years I will get an insight into how you think.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
OKKKKK I watched taks games with S.D's commentary picking it apart, good improvements already S.D just gotta learn those mixing skills. You might want to download the videos first using a plugin then play them from offline for easiest skipping without loading? Just and idea.

Ok Tak lets start.

The biggest part of your play issues currently come from two things, one bigger than the other. I'll bold each one so it's clear they're the two separate issues.

The first and biggest issue is tech. You need to bring that tech up in par with your experience. From double shines, ledge dash, fast shffl nairs and shine grabs theres heaps to do and you can start with any part you feel like, but it's clearly the first thing you should improve. You will see massive game changes once you get this tech down and you'll love the feeling you get when you manage to double shine someone off the stage or pull off a perfect shffl 1 hit uair to utilt, plus you can swag on scrubs with sick moonwalk magic.

You've developed a safe, no-tech playstyle from this which results in super predictable options that you go to in most situations. You choosing stuff like double jump when under pressure at the edge, shine -> full jump -> falling dair/nair as well, or stuff like full jump nair -> sheild. Sure all these tools work in certain situations but you're currently trying to apply them to situations that clearly don't suit. Once you do get tech, your movement, combo and shield pressure options will triple. You can still use your old tools at the right times, but you will also have better tools suited to each situation.

The second and the one I will go on heaps more about simply because theres more to say, is your personal move flowchart. This might sound a bit confusing so I'll explain it more here.

Dash attack can be a fine approach. Champ combo is easy and effective at the right times as well as dash attack giving you plenty of time to react on hit. But you need to pay attention to when you're choosing moves like this. Fox v Fox dash attack at less than 40% is going to give you very mixed results. This is a move where even if you hit them, they could still punish you, even without crouch cancelling at low%.

Uthrow to usmash can be ok, but usmash at low-mid% can be DI'd in a way that you put yourself into a spot where you need to read a tech chase. S.D mentioned this before but chaingrab is a super cool friend here. Rather than uthrow usmash at 30%, you can uthrow 3x then usmash at 45% and make the follow up much easier too.

These all stem down to move choices in the right situation, and everyone uses their own flowchart (better players have bigger flowcharts since they have more tools) to determine what to use and when.

A very simple thought process to implement in these situations is to give yourself a list of things you want with an order of priority.

eg:

1. Getting someone offstage in a bad position
2. Getting more % in a guaranteed fashion
3. Getting someone offstage in a mediocre position
4. Getting more % in a risky or non guaranteed way
5. Getting someone offstage in a good position
6. Resetting to neutral
7. Going for swag which probably wont hit

Sure theres more things that could be put in there, and this is over-simplified, but the idea is there.

Why uthrow to usmash when you can get 4 more uthrows in first for free guaranteed %? In this situation you've looked at your priorities and gone:

"ok I have them in the middle of the stage at 30%, I can't get them off the stage, so how do i get the most %?"

then bam uthrow chaingrab into whatever comes to mind as the chaingrab is near guaranteed.

another thing is like "hey I have just waveshined sheik to the edge at 30%, what is next?" In this spot theres heaps of choices. Grab them just before they go over into uthrow uair/bair. Shine them again and send them off. Dsmash to send them off. Go swag and drill shine for more %. Shine wd usmash. And theres still more.

But if we employ the mentality here we come down to: shine/dsmash them off the edge and put them in a super bad spot at 40%.

This sort of thinking IMO would be super pivotal in your play. You can turn each grab into a kill and each shine into 40% if you choose the right options. Go for the options that you know will net you good% and put you in a great spot.

Mango told me heaps about this when he was over. Just always look for ways to get more % or get yourself into a better spot each time you plan to hit the opponent. If your combo can easily get 3 more hits in, then get them. Dont risk yourself for it but you take what is guaranteed to the bank every chance you get.

One last small bit I don't remember sam picking on is you sheilding a bit too much IMO. There's situations where you do full jump nair to sheild and you can easily just not sheild then run away instead. You also use the sheild when the opponent is still like 1 or 2 seconds from hitting you where you again can easily not use the sheild and just run away to reset or dash dance punish instead. Too many falco habits man lol.

Please tell me if this is useful and or understandable. It's a bit hard to articulate the idea of point 2.

Splice

Smash Hero
I really like your posts Redact, both the comments on PCG and on Tak. I think they do a good job of putting things into perspective.
Reading them you can get a good idea of the big picture. I haven't watched any of SD's videos past 20 minutes yet because when I take notes I wanna do it properly, but it seems he picks apart more small instances of the game and particular scenarios for the most part, it's good to step back sometimes so your posts seem like a good complement.

To add a morsel to "point 2", particularly the concept of the priority list,
it's important to bear in mind how you want your combos to end.
Do you want a big % lead? Would you opt out of more guaranteed % to hit them offstage? Reset to neutral with the pressure on your side?

This is my own perspective, and may clash with what SD/Phil have said. Regard it as a matter of opinion and or playstyle I guess.

If I'm against a spacie, I usually would opt to get them offstage rather than going for a % lead, and if I'm going % lead the benefit I would get would be hopefully an opportunity to kill them off a trade or reading one jump with a Bair. But due to the volatility of the MU I usually want to exercise my characters ability to 0-death/gimp if I see some kind of opportunity since having a % lead does not stop me from getting Bthrow-Shined.
If I'm against a Peach I would opt for a % lead and then reset to neutral because she's hard to gimp but easier to camp (if I was a bit better at dealing with float anyway)
I think against Marth it's important to realise the power of resetting to neutral with pressure on your side. I'd rather end the combo with shine/utilt than doing shine FH shine DJ Dair (Falco) while onstage because at the end of this movement I am in worse of a position to make Marth question his options than if I just stayed under him, even though it puts on more damage.

Obviously if you know you will get it, securing the kill is always preferable.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I really like your posts Redact, both the comments on PCG and on Tak. I think they do a good job of putting things into perspective.
Reading them you can get a good idea of the big picture.

To add a morsel to "point 2", particularly the concept of the priority list,
it's important to bear in mind how you want your combos to end.
Do you want a big % lead? Would you opt out of more guaranteed % to hit them offstage? Reset to neutral with the pressure on your side?

This is my own perspective, and may clash with what SD/Phil have said. Regard it as a matter of opinion and or playstyle I guess.

If I'm against a spacie, I usually would opt to get them offstage rather than going for a % lead, and if I'm going % lead the benefit I would get would be hopefully an opportunity to kill them off a trade or reading one jump with a Bair. But due to the volatility of the MU I usually want to exercise my characters ability to 0-death/gimp if I see some kind of opportunity since having a % lead does not stop me from getting Bthrow-Shined.
If I'm against a Peach I would opt for a % lead and then reset to neutral because she's hard to gimp but easier to camp (if I was a bit better at dealing with float anyway)
I think against Marth it's important to realise the power of resetting to neutral with pressure on your side. I'd rather end the combo with shine/utilt than doing shine FH shine DJ Dair (Falco) while onstage because at the end of this movement I am in worse of a position to make Marth question his options than if I just stayed under him, even though it puts on more damage.

Obviously if you know you will get it, securing the kill is always preferable.
These differences in preferences are a big thing in how peoples play styles are different and that's perfectly fine.

The big thing people can pick up on here are when you can guarantee free % or get a better position by choosing a different move or combo in comparison to your usual bread and butter, then you should be going for it.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Thanks Redact I'll definitely start practicing more stuff tech wise, i've been meaning to it's just I don't have any wii cables atm. My main problem with u-throw is mainly just feeling unconfident or being scared I will not be able to get the full punish off so I go for safer, higher damage.

In terms of my personal flowchart I definitely get what you mean, I had the same problem in 3s as well in that once I saw a certain situation I would pick between one or two options instead of the 5 possible ones I could do, I definitely see my main problem is not adapting anything but combos for different matchups, I play the majority of matchups like i'm vsing a falco (and even then I can improve on some things which S.D mentions) which is something i'll definitely be working on in the near future.

Thanks heaps guys, i'm keen to improve more then I have been in a while since my disappointing result at SS nothing like a disappointing result to make you want to improve imo :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Developing more mentalities and play styles for new matchups as well as focusing on actually changing how you think against different characters may be something to look at too.

Even if its simple thinking like "be scared of grabs" vs marth n puff or "make sure I camp a bit more" vs peach, it can be good to remind yourself of the simple stuff for the MU you're about to play.

An even more tryhard option here is to start taking notes for yourself and just review it before you take on a new opponent. It can be better than wasting your first stocks by being reminded that you need to camp marth or peach or learning 2 stocks in that pkstadium can suck v marth if not played right. If you have all this info written down you can be ready for this stuff before they even use it.

Notes are totally the way of the future man even I should start now.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Actually yeah something i've noticed some newer people do that they REALLY need to learn is just remember general things about a matchup going into it (don't go near the edge against a shiek as a general example)

S.D

Smash Master
I'm loving the discussion this thread is generating, getting varied opinions and advice is exactly what I want to see.

With regard to my videos, I'm trying to take specific instances and provide better/other options but also with an eye to broader concepts and playstyle things. I'm trying to do some overall playstyle points but I feel for most mid level players it's the small adjustments that will make the biggest difference. I am making some general notes at the end, but perhaps not going deep enough?

Having said that it's time for more FEEDBACK. What are people wanting from these vids they're not getting? What are they getting that they want more of? (Someone tell me how to download the videos first idk how to do that...) If we want some bigger picture things I might start watching the set first to make a few notes then dive into analysis things.

EDIT: Once Dekar puts his video up I may do the same set from my POV if people want to see it. Might be helpful for people to see both sides of the coin. We'll see.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
First up here's a link to the a ghetto youtube downloader:

http://keepvid.com/

you can just use that since it's super simple.

Don't remove anything from what you're currently doing with vids since you already have it spot on IMO, just add on what I'm doing already myself onto the end. Like a sort of player overall style and changes analysis section or something, then you can go back through the vid and say "your thought process here to come up with x decision can be changed. As I mentioned before it would have been better to bair instead of uair here, and a change in thought process to think this way instead, will help you make better choices like this" ect

S.D

Smash Master
Good call, I think I'll do a quick watch through of the video before going into my recording to take some notes and note some specific instances to expand on. Although I like what you're doing as well, good to get a second perspective for all involved.

EDIT: updated with Hughie v Lucky
This one was kind of tricky to pull stuff out of simlpy because Lucky is 2g, bit too far above Hughie/Australia to get too much out of it. Hopefully there's something useful tho, and apologies my mixing is actually getting worse.

Also can we get this thread stickied already?

Last edited:

kelots

Smash Cadet
both the match analysiseseses and the extras in the thread are fascinating and extremely helpful, thanks again

Looking forward to this. I think it would be fascinating for both you and SD to run analysis on the match from SSV against each other (without watching each others video) to get the different perspectives on the same match. Bonus points for being drunk

Redact: i'm poor as after the trip (mortgage and kids too haha) but when you posted the donation drive thread i flicked it over to the Kiwi group who flew over and a couple of the guys said they put some cash your way so hope it helped/happened :) Awesome to hear you recouped the costs! Will suss a beer if/when you come to NZ :)

Ev

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Any update on these videos, Sam? The analysis has been really solid so far so I'm really looking forward to what you have to say about my set with Billy. =)

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
That's my next project, I'm hoping to dedicate a fair bit of time to it with some specific examples from other sets, so I need to set some time aside for that one. Otherwise I'm still taking requests from people and need to look at unreon skeletom and grim oli.

woodsta

Smash Apprentice
This should be stickied imo. There's no thread for high level gameplay discussion

Last edited:
Top Bottom