• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to EVO 2013?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Hi gang, just wanted to draw your attention once again to EVO. There has been a fundraiser. There has been a rules discussion. But I haven't seen a thread to outline a lot of the info.

Uh...when is EVO again?
July 12-14, Las Vegas, Nevada. Sin City meets Smash for the first time in 5 years.
How do I register?
Registration is easy:
http://evo.shoryuken.com/register/

There are 3 levels:
Event Pass (Basic Spectator, $20, denied access to main hall on Sunday)
Premium Pass (Spectator+, $40, access to main hall all 3 days as well as an EVO 2013 shirt)
Competitor Pass (Entering SSBM or any other officially sanctioned game? This is what you need. $70 plus an additional $10 for every game you enter, access to main hall all 3 days as well as an EVO 2013 shirt)

Did you screw up? Forget to enter yet? Well, the prices for entry rose 20 bucks, so 80 minimum at this point.
What are the rules?
http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-tournament-format/ has the standard tournament format.

http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-tournament-rules/ has the rules for the whole tournament.

http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-additional-rules/ has the latest copy of game specific rules, SSBM included.

How do I get seeding points?
Well, through Road to EVO events. Not every event on the road is actually offering points for SSBM. Actually, for the US/Canada, only two are:

NorCal Regionals - April 26-28: http://norcalregionals.com/
Toryuken - May 18-19: http://torontotoptiers.com/site-news/toryuken2melee/

If you go to either of those events and finish in Top 16, you get seeding points. The stakes are extremely high. I'm not sure if that was across the board, as a couple of tournaments have only said that top 3 will be getting points.

For those of you abroad, there are other international Road to Evo events, check here and find out more!

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/21/roa...e-royale-spring-edition-toryuken-ii-and-more/

If they are hosting smash, post here, I'll edit it in.

However, show up. There are tons of killers that don't have points, every pool is going to be a death pool. These points might be the difference between keeping your head above water or being caught in the undertow.

After that, to the best of their ability, the TOs will be seeding by region. Best of luck.
I'm registered, now what?
Well, you might want to figure out how to get there.

We are headed to Vegas, so McCarran International Airport is where you'll want to head if you are coming by plane. Otherwise, Megabus does go from LA/Riverside to Vegas.

Flying? Check here for deals: http://www.bing.com/travel?FORM=HDRSC7
Megabus? http://us.megabus.com/

So, the question is where to stay? The event itself takes place at the Paris Hotel. Want to stay there? Want to use their discount code? The link is below.

https://www.totalrewards.com/hotel-reservations/main/?propCode=PLV&groupCode=SPRKX3&r=http://evo.shoryuken.com/about-evo/

There are other hotels in the area, but of course, we all remember Pound 5. Don't cheat your TOs, you cheat your community in the end. That shouldn't be much of an issue, I believe they've used 90% or so of their allocated space for the event, so I'll edit in alternate hotels later.

What can I expect?
The tournament experience of a lifetime. The wide array of audiences for various games, main stage and not provides an electricity that can't be replicated. The number of side events, networking, side bets, hype, crowd experience...its a whole different monster from what the community is used to, ask the crew from Melee's last appearance at the series. Personally, I've treated the streams every year on Sunday like the Super Bowl.

How do I act?
With reverence and respect. Again, we are guests. We raised the most funds, we earned our spot. However, this certainly isn't a typical smash event. As with any event, the running of the tournament takes precedence over everything else. Will you get friendlies? Probably not at the Paris. Will your pool be stacked? Probably, they did seeding their way, no johns, live with it. Will there be doubles? Only if someone organizes a side event, but I wouldn't bet on it.

In addition, so many people have said that we aren't truly a part of the FGC. I agree with Skisonic, our engine may not be similar to a Blazblue, Street Fighter: 3rd Strike, Skullgirls, MVC2, Tekken Tag Tournament, etc. but we are part of the community. That being said, I implore you to take interest in other games, spectate the other games being presented, try to learn about them if you can. Fool around in another game? Enter it. Have fun, have a great tournament experience. You want people to be open to SSBM (and by proxy, the Smash community in general?), be open to other games, take a vested interest and there is no reason to slander/denigrate other games.

"But they said Smashers are X/Y/Z!" That may be the case, may not be. This is an opportunity to take a major step forward at changing public perception of the community. So, be on time for your matches. Don't hold up the event. Run as smoothly as possible. Shower. Regularly. Wear deodorant. I'm not your parent, you should already be doing all of this. Be a decent human being, treat everyone with respect regardless of ethnicity, gender, sexual proclivities, disabilities, or what game they play.

What else?

Not attending? Videogamebootcamp will be in attendance to provide a SSBM stream.

Attending? Well, you can go above and beyond a couple of ways:

1. Want to record? You are more than welcome to, as long as it doesn't interfere with the running of the event itself.
2. Want to make things go as smoothly as possible? CRTs are hard to come by, the EVO staff is well aware of this. They need our assistance with setups, and televisions especially. If you are attending, please at least bring a copy of the game, a cube, whatever you can.
---
Questions, concerns, consternation?

Comment.

Revven

FrankerZ
On the topic of seeding, I feel since we're still not quite there yet, there should be a section on how seeding is done and how to get seeding points etc. I feel not enough people are still aware of this, prog. If they want to avoid johning, it would help to add the section, I think :p

Other than that, good topic, I hope enough people catch this! Spread this around in your regional facebook groups etc.

prog

On the topic of seeding, I feel since we're still not quite there yet, there should be a section on how seeding is done and how to get seeding points etc. I feel not enough people are still aware of this, prog. If they want to avoid johning, it would help to add the section, I think :p

Other than that, good topic, I hope enough people catch this! Spread this around in your regional facebook groups etc.
Added.

prog

is this evo even gonna have a big turn out for melee?? what about warmups before pools and singles
I certainly hope so. 2007, if I recall, we had the second most number of entrants. Warmups, be there early. Don't show up 15 minutes before your set and expect to be able to warm up.

prog

Too bad I still suck. I'm patiently waiting for 2014 nationals. The stream will be hype though :(
I'd implore you not to. The best way to gain experience is with tournaments, especially internationals. EVO is a yearly occurrence, however, not for the smash community.

The last time SSBM was represented? 2007. Smash in general? 2008, with a ruleset that people weren't accustomed to. I certainly would be surprised if this isn't the last time we see SSBM at EVO.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Did Melee get a $5,000 pot bonus? I recall seeing something about Skullgirls getting one, so if they get one and Melee doesn't, that's pretty dumb... (seeing as how we won the donation drive and all).

Regardless, Evo will be awesome. $60 isn't bad at all! I thought it was way more expensive than that.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I'd implore you not to. The best way to gain experience is with tournaments, especially internationals. EVO is a yearly occurrence, however, not for the smash community.

The last time SSBM was represented? 2007. Smash in general? 2008, with a ruleset that people weren't accustomed to. I certainly would be surprised if this isn't the last time we see SSBM at EVO.
I have too many johns haha I'm up in the air it looks like it'd be so much fun

Mahie

Smash Lord
I have too many johns haha I'm up in the air it looks like it'd be so much fun
Getting ready for tournament play, that is, playing live, in front of a crowd and so on, with possible trashtalk in your back, or bull**** happenning, is something you need to learn to do regardless of your skill level.

Tournaments are where people tend to skyrocket in their improvement. Not being good enough should not prevent you from going. ;)

S.D

Smash Master
Is there any seeding concessions for international players who don't live in the regions where qualifiers are held?
I'm currently the top ranked player in Australia and wondering whether that might be taken into consideration in seeding pools.

Revven

FrankerZ
Is there any seeding concessions for international players who don't live in the regions where qualifiers are held?
I'm currently the top ranked player in Australia and wondering whether that might be taken into consideration in seeding pools.
Pretty sure it won't matter, unfortunately. You'll have to make due, I think. They do not factor in regional placing into seeding. The only way to be seeded is to get the seeding points; which Melee got pretty screwed out of due to the uncertainty of it being at EVO and also the organizers for the Road to EVO events happened to have issues with Smash games being ran at their tournaments before. So there wasn't really a way to plan any international tournaments to allow international players to get seeding points for Melee. We're very lucky to even have NCR and Toryuken 2 to be honest.

So I guess you'll have to push through the stacked bracket. Keep in mind that while you're competing for a lotta money on the line, EVO is a once in a lifetime experience. So even if you don't place highly, the experience is 100% worth going alone.

Mr. Wizard can maybe shed some light on it if I'm wrong, though, on anything (if he's even aware of this thread).

prog

Pretty sure it won't matter, unfortunately. You'll have to make due, I think.

Mr. Wizard can maybe shed some light on it (if he's even aware of this thread).
Right. There are plenty of US players that are ranked, but are currently unseeded. I think it'll be a crapshoot.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to put some emphasis on the "How do I act?" section. This, with utmost importance and urgency, can cause our involvement in any community. Although I have limited tournament experience, I do know behavior goes a long way. I implore every entrant to rethink their actions at any (past, present, and future) tournament, and see if you can change to be a better person in and out of the game.

I'm not going to point fingers, but there is no reason to have long warm-ups, ask for rule checks when they're posted, delaying the tournament, or general disrespectful actions that will tarnish Smash's name.

Watch some Evo videos. Look past the hype and watch how the players treat each other. They're a family, and we've been asked to show them our moves.

Be mindful of the venue and hotels. Plan ahead. Be an adult.

After, do whatever your heart desires.

Good luck

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I'd like to put some emphasis on the "How do I act?" section. This, with utmost importance and urgency, can cause our involvement in any community. Although I have limited tournament experience, I do know behavior goes a long way. I implore every entrant to rethink their actions at any (past, present, and future) tournament, and see if you can change to be a better person in and out of the game.

I'm not going to point fingers, but there is no reason to have long warm-ups, ask for rule checks when they're posted, delaying the tournament, or general disrespectful actions that will tarnish Smash's name.

Watch some Evo videos. Look past the hype and watch how the players treat each other. They're a family, and we've been asked to show them our moves.

Be mindful of the venue and hotels. Plan ahead. Be an adult.

After, do whatever your heart desires.

Good luck
Warm ups are frowned upon? I think they are legit and just fine. Cold hand johns are legit johns imo (playing with actual cold hands is terrible).

Revven

FrankerZ
That's about what I thought, thanks for the clarification though.
Are we likely to see RR pools or bracket pools?
Bracket pools right from the get go, which makes it absolutely important to stay in Winners all the way through.

S.D

Smash Master
Really? Bracket pools is so... dirty. Especially with the seeding being the way it is.
I'm not really anticipating a deep run in the main bracket or anything, but running into two top players off the bat would be grimey, where you might progress through an RR pool.
Oh well, there's always friendlies.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
So do we have a guesstimate on how many Smashers will be there? Does it look like we can make this the largest Smash tournament we've ever had?

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't think there will be friendlies at EVO.
The only chance you'll get for friendlies may just be on the off day of the tournament; where Melee's tournament isn't happening. I'm not sure what day that would be, but it would be the same day GimR would stream stuff. So you may even be able to hold a doubles side tourney or crew battle stuff on that day.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is a BYOC section where you're allowed to set up and play whatever you'd like. I'm sure there will be some folks bringing Melee setups there, otherwise you can likely find some people in hotel rooms playing.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Warm ups are frowned upon? I think they are legit and just fine. Cold hand johns are legit johns imo (playing with actual cold hands is terrible).
I said long warm-ups. 2-3 minutes is fine, not 20 minutes after each match. If you watch any Evo video (much less any traditional fighter) they sit down, button check, and start the match. We are extremely pressed for time, and can't afford to drag our feet.

As prog and many other have said, it's a community effort. If you see someone acting inappropriately, put in a word to them

Revven

FrankerZ
2-3 minutes I'd say is still a bit excessive for warm-ups. It can kill the hype leading into the next match if we're watching people just staying in place and SHFFLing or wavedashing all over.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Did Melee get a $5,000 pot bonus? I recall seeing something about Skullgirls getting one, so if they get one and Melee doesn't, that's pretty dumb... (seeing as how we won the donation drive and all)
Melee and Skull Girls each get a $1000 dollar pot bonus. The deal was anyone who beat out MLP's amount would get it. That was when no one expected to make more than 10k lol.

BYOC area could be awesome...although I wonder what will happen on the off days. Melee is only 1 out of 3 days except for top 8 which is on stage...once top 8 is decided maybe you could use their set ups, I don't know what they'd do with those CRTs otherwise. Well, maybe they'll only rent them for one day and only leave a few afterwards.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
lol hax is reading this.

anyway, San antonio has received word that our top player is going to show for this.
I'm a little bit hyped.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@Bones0
Regardless, Evo will be awesome. $60 isn't bad at all! I thought it was way more expensive than that.

well you do have to fly out to Vegas and spend at least 2 nights in a Las Vegas hotel, which generally arent cheap. So make sure youre taking everything into account.

S.D

Smash Master
Hopefully there is some scope to play people outside of tournament... Would suck to come all the way out from Aus to potentially get two sets in XD

prog

Today is the last day to register at early bird rate. Remember, space is limited, so if you want to be a part of this event, you should register ASAP if you haven't done so already.

MT_

Smash Ace
Does anybody know the schedule? Is Melee going to be around all three days, or just one, or what?

Top Bottom