• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with spacers

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Like how I see it, Ness is a close up fighter. How do you deal with spacing enemies like Mewtwo, Marth, Roy?

Boiko

:drshrug:
These match ups can feel extremely one sided if you don't play them correctly. And for the most part, they're in the opposition's favor (sans Roy), so it's definitely not easy. When you're playing against a character with long range, that can seamlessly keep you out, you need to play a lot more patient. Rushing in will get you swatted away and possibly set up into a combo. So the real trick is baiting them into throwing out a move and then punishing. Dash dancing in amazing in these match ups because it allows you to threaten their space, force them to attack, weave away, and then come back in and punish. I always mix up my dash dance approaches, so my opponent has a harder time adapting. Once you do get in, you have to make the most of your opportunity, but also be careful not to over extend.

Here is a set I play against one of, if not the best active Mewtwo player, if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X608TFDGpWM

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
These match ups can feel extremely one sided if you don't play them correctly. And for the most part, they're in the opposition's favor (sans Roy), so it's definitely not easy. When you're playing against a character with long range, that can seamlessly keep you out, you need to play a lot more patient. Rushing in will get you swatted away and possibly set up into a combo. So the real trick is baiting them into throwing out a move and then punishing. Dash dancing in amazing in these match ups because it allows you to threaten their space, force them to attack, weave away, and then come back in and punish. I always mix up my dash dance approaches, so my opponent has a harder time adapting. Once you do get in, you have to make the most of your opportunity, but also be careful not to over extend.

Here is a set I play against one of, if not the best active Mewtwo player, if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X608TFDGpWM
I think I'm seeing some djcs in your gameplay, tell me is it needed to learn djc? Like will lose if I don't know it?

Last edited:

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
Not using DJC with Ness is like walking to your nearest convenience store without a foot.
Against characters that do a lot of spacing, it's best to not be too aggressive and stay very patient. The time when they open up and mess up will come and all you need to do is stay slightly out of their range and wait for them to overextend so that you can punish with an attack that leads into damaging combos. Ness punishes over extensions incredibly hard and it's your job to capitalize on them.

Boiko

So basically, you can cancel the momentum of Ness' second jump by using an aerial attack. You have to make sure you let go of the jump button, otherwise you will do a rising aerial.
So there are a few ways to do it, and everyone is different, you just need to do what works best for you. Here are some examples:
Double tap 'Y' or 'X', whichever you use to jump, and then input an aerial. If you do the aerial super close to ground, you got it.
Roll your finger from Y>X and then input the aerial. This is how I DJ with Samus, interestingly enough.
Tap your designated jump button, then the joystick up and then input the aerial. This only works with tap jump on, and it's how I do most of my DJCs. IMO it's far and away the fastest input.

Just practice up. It's a relatively simple technique to understand, you'll get the hang of it.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
So basically, you can cancel the momentum of Ness' second jump by using an aerial attack. You have to make sure you let go of the jump button, otherwise you will do a rising aerial.
So there are a few ways to do it, and everyone is different, you just need to do what works best for you. Here are some examples:
Double tap 'Y' or 'X', whichever you use to jump, and then input an aerial. If you do the aerial super close to ground, you got it.
Roll your finger from Y>X and then input the aerial. This is how I DJ with Samus, interestingly enough.
Tap your designated jump button, then the joystick up and then input the aerial. This only works with tap jump on, and it's how I do most of my DJCs. IMO it's far and away the fastest input.

Just practice up. It's a relatively simple technique to understand, you'll get the hang of it.
Well so far I've been able to do it. Just having a problem knowing when to use it. Like I see videos of people going every where with it, I can just stay in one spot.

Boiko

Yeah, you just need to use the momentum of your DJ to carry you forward. Just hold the direction you want to go.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Yeah, you just need to use the momentum of your DJ to carry you forward. Just hold the direction you want to go.
I'm sorry can you further explain? Like I get it obviously just move the analog stick over but like diagonally? Like I'll dash but then I'll just stay in one spot. EDIT

Last edited:

Boiko

It's kind of hard to explain...i just kind of...do it.

I imagine if you just keep practicing you'll get it pretty quickly.

Top Bottom