• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Marth

The-Guy

Smash Cadet
Anyone have some solid tips on how to deal with Marth? I'm struggling with this reach and applying enough shield pressure.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Turnips.

Always be behind marth

Clank with his aerials with dash and then slap him so he can't get away. If he's in the air, you should either be getting away or dash attacking him.

Learn when you're out of stun so you can either nair him or air dodge away.

Marth is VERY fragile when he's off the stage, so make sure when he gets off, he dies and he can't gimp you if you pursue him off the stage

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Turnip fair a lot. This will set you up for shield pressure and stuff. Don't dash attack a lot. get grabs. Try to bair him when he's off the stage, but even without a jump marth can pull a lot of shenanigans, so play it as safe as you can. Don't dsmash a lot.
if he misses the timing of the up-b and goes over the ledge, dash attack. It pushes him out just far enough so he can't recover if you grab the ledge.

MacD

Marth is VERY fragile when he's off the stage, so make sure when he gets off, he dies and he can't gimp you if you pursue him off the stage
this isn't completely true, if you aren't careful you can get spiked if he's above you (though you learn quickly when he can and can't do it)

and irish mafia, that wasn't great advice, dash attack is like one of the best weapons against marth, also fair > dsmash almost always shield stabs, though it's hard to get a marth to shield a fair

The-Guy

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. Any tips on how to get through Marth's edge game?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Macd - I wrote that as make sure that when he gets off the stage he dies and also make sure he can't gimp you

I was thinking more of him upbing your double jump and you being ****ed.

MacD

aaahhh makes since, i guess i just misread it

it just brought back my worst memories of going out and getting spiked like a dumb***

VA

Smash Hero
marth is to hard i would say just pick another charcter honestly
so not true. you just have to know what you're doing and be aware of when he's open. Once you're up close and personal with marth he's like get away wh0re and you're like no go under my dress and he gets all mashed up with nairs and dsmashes and all kinds of crap. it's hard having such limited approach though, you have to really watch for when you can get in there.

I actually like the match up, a lot of marth players enter it way too cocky and if you play it right you can screw them up so fast.

dash attack (the part that sends them up) to > uair > uair/nair works and it's a handy way of racking up damage from a simple mistake of his (or well timed dash attack of yours).

I do find edgeguarding more difficult, like there isn't a lot to work with. You can either try turnip him or get a nair/bair when he side B's. The latter is really difficult on good players but if you watch really carefully when they're at the right height they'll be dead from on one those. I guess also you can wait it out on the edge and get back on the stage by pressing left/right and dsmash. Wish it were as easy as it is with fox :/

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
yes this is true i do wish i was better with the matchup but i can't do but so much it kinda is disappionting that is why i am starting to play falco tho so that way i have a good marth and fox counter...or at least i feel falco is good against the two

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'd rather fight a Marth nowadays than a Falco/Shiek...that's just an IMO.

Another approach would be to run and shield. Most Marth's are either gonna go for the grab or will just fair you, if you shield and do a nair or grab OOS you'll have an upper hand. Mix it in with turnips (pull them early before you run and shield) and of course spacing and other advice in this thread and it's not so bad.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
turnip pressure. Pluck, jump in throw outside of marth's range, let it hit him or his shield, and then mix up time.

short hop regrab to drop or throw is really good, FC nair if you're close enough for more pressure.

Getting inside Marth is imperative, and once you've done it chase him to the ends of the earth, don't let the man breathe.

Turnip drop edgeguard is your best friend. I'm sure you all know how to do it though.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
if he's shielding, FC'd Fair to jab to either grab or dsmash, turnip to fair, turnip to dair -> nair on low % alot of dash attacks, spam turnips like you're playing brawl, if he recoveres low, jump over the edge throw a turnip down them edgehog, lightshield edgehog works wonders. Don't try to compete with his fsmash with other attacks, just shield it, WD OoS and **** him. don't get caught by CC'd grabs either.

If you're playing NTSC watch the **** out for a ken combo.

Learning how to play sheik is faster though :3

Top Bottom