• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How To All-Star?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I hope that my horrible grammar in the title got your attention. Cool.

All-Star mode on Hard is miserable. You have to fight through 52 enemies without dying once, and you can only heal four times. That's really stupid. They use a lot of the standard AI tricks of perfect shielding and attacking with frame-perfect timing. I generally try to spam a charged forward smash from one side of the stage, but they often get past that by shooting me from far back, attacking from above, and, uh, being fat. I love a good challenge in a video game, but this isn't challenging so much as it is horribly unfair.

Does anyone have advice on clearing Hard with all characters? I have most of the other challenges down, but unless I can come up with a really cheap way of beating this one, I'm going to go insane.

Last edited:

11wildy

Smash Rookie
Spam smash attacks, keep your distance from your opponent, keep them away from getting close to you all at once. WATCH OUT FOR PROJECTILES. Basically, only projectile moves (and moves like Charizards Flare Blitz) will kill you before like 200%. Kill the threatening characters, while just pushing away characters like Marth/Lucina, because they can rarely ever kill you. Practise a bit, get a feel for what's dangerous and what's not, and you'll be done sooner than you may think :).

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Yeah, here's hoping. I'm gonna just try one fighter each day and try to have it done by the end of the year. It'll be really nice to have it behind me.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
All-Star is a weird mode. I remember a friend of mine said that the mode "rewards you for playing like a five-year-old": in other words, if you just spam strong smash moves every chance you can, you will probably do quite well.

Heavies walk all over this mode. I'd prioritise beating it with characters like Bowser and Ganondorf first, since that will get you into the swing of it and you'll know what strategies work best. What I find helpful for heavies is to bait as many opponents as you can into a group and then punish them with your most efficient smash move: in this case, you want a move that's relatively quick, does decent knockback and can preferably hit multiple targets at once. Moves like Bowser's u-smash / f-smash, Ganondorf's fs-mash / d-smash, Ike's u-smash and DK's u-tilt / d-smash work wonders.

It gets trickier when you move onto smaller or more projectile-based characters. Characters with weaker moves can get trounced in this mode, so you want to play as cleverly as possible whilst minimising damage. If you're playing a character that can cheese out a victory with projectile spam, then do just that: there's no honour in All-Star, anything that helps you win is a valid tactic. When I cleared All-Star with Duck Hunt on Hard to beat the in-game challenge, I managed to eke out a relatively comfortable win with flagrant neutral-b spam and rolling to the distance whenever the opponent got too close. For characters with weak melee options, minimising damage becomes paramount. Whereas there's a certain berth of safety with heavies, if your character can get KO'd at about 50%, you want to make sure your top priority is damage evasion. Projectile-based characters can do this by staying at a comfortable distance, whereas faster characters may benefit from hit 'n' run tactics for best results. Don't worry about running out the clock: it resets between matches, so there's very little chance that you will be caught out by it.

Quick comment here: my brother reckons this challenge is easy with Robin, since you can abuse Nosferatu to heal damage if you need to. Your tomes are reset between matches, so feel free to go ham if you want! Just remember that heal naturally (e.g. Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing) don't work in the lobby.

It's important to know when to heal. Because you need to rely on a handful of healing items, each with different strengths, it's good to understand when you will get the best use out of each. Maxim Tomato heals 100% damage, Fairy Bottle heals 100% if your damage is over 100% when you use it, Heart Container heals all damage. I usually wait until I'm in the red zone (between 80 - 100%) before I use an item, more if my character is heavier and can take a few hits. I usually try to save a Heart Container for the final match if I can, since it means I don't have to worry about getting KO'd at the last second and I can concentrate on patiently clearing the game. It's a good idea to prioritise saving an item as a contingency, but if you think the risk is too much to chance the game on, then by all means do what makes you more comfortable. Do bear in mind that, especially for heavies, it can be good to keep a bit of damage under your belt to increase your rage: when you play a few times, you can figure out how best to balance the risk / reward ratio of the game.

Finally, stages are important. If you can get a stage like Mario Galaxy or Colosseum in the first round, you're off to a good start, since you can abuse the walkoff to get some cheap, risk-free KO's. Kono Jungle 64 is a good stage too, since the wide blastzones can offer you some breathing room midway through the game, while Luigi's Mansion is my favourite stage for the final match, since the caves of life in the bottom corners can help you survive even if you're at high percents while you build up damage and get the KO.

Most importantly, practice! You will inevitably get bodied a few times, just keep at it and you will eventually work out a system that works for you. There's no "press to win" button, just hard work and determination. Hope this helps!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While you can try to clear All-Star on hard before unlocking every fighter, eventually you will have to play the "true" All-Star mode on hard difficulty to complete three of the game's challenges...
  • Clear the true All-Star mode on hard difficulty.
  • Clear the true Solo All-Star mode on hard while playing as Duck Hunt.
  • Clear the true Solo All-Star mode on hard while playing as Ike.
Only Ike's challenge can be Golden Hammered, while the other two challenges are completely inevitable.

Simply put, you'd have to play the "true" All-Star mode on hard difficulty at least twice, assuming that you've cleared All-Star on hard with 47 of the 48 fighters "before" unlocking the "true" All-Star mode; fighter 48 has to do the "true" All-Star mode.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's some weird handicap thing in place that nerfs your projectiles and buffs theirs... Olimar and Villager have an incredibly tough time in the mode because of it. Ness's yo-yo is weirdly effected by this too.

The AI's level changes depending on the conditions. Playing co-op makes them tougher, but having DLC characters makes them weaker. (Dunno about what happens when you don't have everybody unlocked + DLC.) DLC stages would probably help too. You can erase DLC characters and stages whenever you want without any penalty, and can redownload what you want individually off the eshop. Some may not want Mewtwo because he has Shadow Ball; everybody else isn't threatening whatsoever.

Camp walkoffs. CPUs are (in my experience) programed to not cheese you if you're close to one, you aren't. Having Ryu's stage helps a ton in that regard.

Save the best and worst characters for co-op if you can. Pairing up two average characters makes things harder because the CPUs get tougher. Actually, go ahead and spam Bowser or Dorf or whoever instead of pairing up unused characters. However, if you play co-op at all then you need to keep track of who you have and haven't completed, as the records won't tell you. Co-op also gives you a slightly more mild stage selection.

Top Bottom