• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many players have actually unlocked every custom move?

Check all statements that apply to you.

• I've unlocked every custom move on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • I've unlocked over half of the unlockable custom moves on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 58 55.2%
  • Every custom EVO set has been transfered to or set up on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I've made a custom Mii Fighter for each of the three Mii Fighter characters.

Votes: 68 64.8%
  • I've made a series of Miis of differing height and weight (aside from the default).

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • I've unlocked every normal character on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 88 83.8%
  • I've bought and downloaded every DLC character on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • I've unlocked every normal stage (legal or not) on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • I've bought and downloaded every DLC stage (legal or not) on my own personal 3DS or Wii U.

Votes: 61 58.1%
  • I own a Nintendo 3DS and a copy of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • I own a Wii U and a copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • I own a Wii U Gamecube controller adapter.

Votes: 71 67.6%

• Total voters

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of what people think should be legal or not, we should consider how many people actually have all of the tools they need to properly train for each and every tournament scenario. That's why I created this thread and poll. hopefully we can use this to help influence our decisions when deciding what should be legal or not.

Here's a list of questions people can answer to help the community better understand what tools they do or don't have that may or may not be required for tournaments:
  • How many players have actually unlocked every custom move on their own personal 3DS or Wii U?
  • How many players have at least unlocked over half of the custom moves?
  • How many players have had every EVO custom move-set transfered to or set up on their own personal 3DS or Wii U?
  • How many players have created Miis varying in different height and weight to use?
  • How many players have created a custom Mii Fighter for each of the 3 Mii Fighters?
  • How many players have unlocked ever character on their own personal 3DS or Wii U?
  • How many players have bought and downloaded every DLC character on their own personal 3DS or Wii U?
  • How many players have unlocked every stage (legal or not) on their own personal 3DS or Wii U?
  • How many players have bought and downloaded every DLC stage (legal or not) on their own personal 3DS or Wii U?
  • How many players have their own Wii U to train on? Maybe they only have the 3DS copy.
  • How many players have their own Nintendo 3DS to train on and to transfer custom move-sets on? Maybe they only have a Wii U.
  • How many players own a Wii U Gamecube controller adapter to bring and set up at tournaments, or to use if wireless controllers aren't allowed?
Most importantly we would like to find out what percent of players have unlocked every custom special move, or If they've at least had every mandatory Summer 2015 EVO custom special move sets transfered to their own personal 3DS or Wii U. The rest of the questions are just there to gather more data that might be useful.

Remember: each characters 1111 moves along with all of Palutena's and all three Mii Fighters custom special moves are unlocked by default. (assuming you've bought and unlocked every character already).

Raijinken

Smash Master
All of those apply to me, and I'd add that I got all the customs on both systems.

I really should just go grind out those last few hats on the 3DS version to ace its challenge grid.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I unlocked all customs on both versions within a month of their respective releases. (Worth noting I didn't dedicate much time to explicitly grinding them out, most of it was in the course of completing the "Clear Classic/All Star with all characters" challenges.) Only thing missing are some Mii hats which I don't particularly care about. I also made all the EVO sets on my Wii U.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I have all the customs unlocked on my Wii U, and a fair number on my 3DS. I'd like to eventually get them all unlocked on my 3DS so I would be able to set up sets for transferring, if needed, but it isn't a priority for me right now.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I checked them all. I also have transferred EVO sets to a large number of setups with all the Custom monthlies I have run.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I have yet to unlock one custom, and don't plan to. Customs are dumb.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I only unlocked the relevant customs for a character since it's pretty tiring to go to Smash Run to unlock all of the customs for a certain character only to get costumes/hats/duplicates in the 3DS version.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
whoever decided that you should be able to get duplicate customs should probably get the death penalty

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I've got all the customs on 3ds except for marth's effortless blade, and I'm not gonna grind through classic mode at 9.0 to unlock something that nobody uses. Maybe if I get another hammer... :)

Also I do have a controller with a turbo button now so I just might have to get cracking on unlocking them all with the Wii u. I've mainly been playing smash tour a lot (it's not as bad as people say lol)

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Do you not ever play this game for fun with your friends?
Whether you believe they have competitive viability or not, they're a good time regardless.
I do play for fun with my friends, we just all agree we don't enjoy customs.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
I got them all within a week I got the game. That was back in new years

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I got 'em all on my 3DS. Pretty tiring process to be honest, but it was completely worth it.

Except for that fact that customs might be going away for good.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Yep, I unlocked all the custom moves on my 3DS. It took about a week for me.

In fact, my local used my copy for all the custom sets.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I have spent hundreds of hours in single player modes, and completed all of the challenges except for 2 (the one to get all the custom moves, and the one where you have to complete classic on 9 without dying). I only have about 3/4 of all the custom moves.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I got all customs on my 3DS. Smash Run is the best way to do so, you just have to use various characters and try to play with at least one extra player. I did a lot of Smash Runs with my girlfriend and we both unlocked all customs on our respective 3DS. Wasn't tedious at all.
On my Wii U I haven't unlocked them, but I won't focus as I did on the 3ds. If I need a specific build, I just make it on the 3DS and transfer it.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
It took me roughly a week to fully unlock all customs playing (~1-2 hours daily) using my 3ds. It was a bit tedious, yes, but the game has been out for quite sometime already. People complain that it takes too long to unlock it all and that's definitely not true. Anyway, players really only need to unlock customs for their character to practice with. Someone is bound to have unlocked them all via 3ds powersaves or through the grind by now to be distributed in local tournaments.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I unlocked them all on my 3DS. I have most of them on WiiU... I need to finish getting them.

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
It took me roughly a week to fully unlock all customs playing (~1-2 hours daily) using my 3ds. It was a bit tedious, yes, but the game has been out for quite sometime already. People complain that it takes too long to unlock it all and that's definitely not true. Anyway, players really only need to unlock customs for their character to practice with. Someone is bound to have unlocked them all via 3ds powersaves or through the grind by now to be distributed in local tournaments.
So what about those who don't want to risk using Powersaves or want to cheat to do so and are not competitively mindful? That's a very dislodged statement saying that what people say takes in regards to them "taking too long" as not being true, given that new customs are NOT guaranteed no matter what mode you play and how long you play it (Have you seen how many people that have complained about duplicates). Just because you got lucky does not speak for everyone else-they're an issue to unlock for most, plus some people don't have time to waste all day playing the same game over and over.

Just saying.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
So what about those who don't want to risk using Powersaves or want to cheat to do so and are not competitively mindful? That's a very dislodged statement saying that what people say takes in regards to them "taking too long" as not being true, given that new customs are NOT guaranteed no matter what mode you play and how long you play it (Have you seen how many people that have complained about duplicates). Just because you got lucky does not speak for everyone else-they're an issue to unlock for most, plus some people don't have time to waste all day playing the same game over and over.

Just saying.
If they don't want to use Powersaves then they can just grind it out as intended? As I said in my post I only played an hour or two daily for a week to unlock them all, if people were serious about unlocking them all and "don't have the time to waste all day" then its feasible to unlock them ALL within a month or two if they put in SOME effort a few days a week. The game out for more than 10 months now, if players don't want to unlock them all then fine, unlock what they need for their character to practice with, and rely on somebody else to do the work for them.

Just saying.

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
Everyone here is asking for balance, stages, and characters in their dream patches. I'm here praying they fix customs. Buy them in the trophy store, can't get duplicates, increase drop rates...anything.

Last edited:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
A good method in making custom hunting easier is getting rid of equipment altogether. Equipment, quite frankly, is the most aggravating thing to ever exist. As you can collect like 10 or more custom bags in Smash Run only to find out that most of them are just equipments. Duplicate customs and clothing, while annoying, are much more bearable if equipment isn't a thing.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
After breeding a bunch of competitive Pokémon, unlocking all custom moves was nothing.
Just run Classic Mode 2-4 times as a character on a 3DS and use the home button to make the roulette stop on equipment.

You guys are a bunch of whiners.

Last edited:

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
A good method in making custom hunting easier is getting rid of equipment altogether. Equipment, quite frankly, is the most aggravating thing to ever exist. As you can collect like 10 or more custom bags in Smash Run only to find out that most of them are just equipments. Duplicate customs and clothing, while annoying, are much more bearable if equipment isn't a thing.
QFT. Equipment is a poorly executed feature. The entire smash 4 customs debate would quite possibly vanish if they were even just a smidgen easier to obtain.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
After breeding a bunch of competitive Pokémon, unlocking all custom moves was nothing.
Just run Classic Mode 2-4 times as a character on a 3DS and use the home button to make the roulette stop on equipment.

You guys are a bunch of whiners.
I should know about patience since I spent about 3 weeks breeding a competitively viable female Torchic with Speed Boost. It was painful...
Anyway, some people don't have as much patience as others so they find customs hunting very tedious and boring. And unlike in Pokemon, some regions are all for banning all of the customs thus making custom hunting very pointless for people living in those regions whereas in Pokemon only cover and event legendaries are banned in VGC Doubles and the community voted banned Pokemon are banned in Smogon singles.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Before I say anything else, let me state that gathering customs is excessively grindy and tedious.

I have every single move, hat, and costume on both my 3DS and Wii U copies of the game.

Obviously the Challenge-based ones had to be done manually, but for the rest of them? I set up an Amiibo farm of them playing 99 minute matches and bringing me the rewards afterward. Then I'd put them in another 99 minute match. So on and so forth.

It wasn't as fast as dedicated Crazy Orders grinding would be, but it had zero risk and could be done while I was doing other things entirely; just had to come back every hour and a half to collect my rewards and restart the farm. Eventually between a mix of my own play and the farming, I got everything.

If you go with like, 8 used or clearance-shelf Mario Amiibos or similar, it's not... too expensive to get going. I admit this isn't the ideal setup, in a proper world we wouldn't have to go through this MMORPG-esque garbage, but... it does work.

EDIT: Heck, doesn't have to be 8. You can do it with just 1 if you want, adding more Amiibos simply speeds up the process since it's that many more of them bringing custom moves, hats, and outfits to you.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Before I say anything else, let me state that gathering customs is excessively grindy and tedious.

I have every single move, hat, and costume on both my 3DS and Wii U copies of the game.

Obviously the Challenge-based ones had to be done manually, but for the rest of them? I set up an Amiibo farm of them playing 99 minute matches and bringing me the rewards afterward. Then I'd put them in another 99 minute match. So on and so forth.

It wasn't as fast as dedicated Crazy Orders grinding would be, but it had zero risk and could be done while I was doing other things entirely; just had to come back every hour and a half to collect my rewards and restart the farm. Eventually between a mix of my own play and the farming, I got everything.

If you go with like, 8 used or clearance-shelf Mario Amiibos or similar, it's not... too expensive to get going. I admit this isn't the ideal setup, in a proper world we wouldn't have to go through this MMORPG-esque garbage, but... it does work.

EDIT: Heck, doesn't have to be 8. You can do it with just 1 if you want, adding more Amiibos simply speeds up the process since it's that many more of them bringing custom moves, hats, and outfits to you.
It can be similarly automated, for free, by AFKing Smash Tour, since actions will always time out. Slower, but free, and roughly as passive.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It can be similarly automated, for free, by AFKing Smash Tour, since actions will always time out. Slower, but free, and roughly as passive.
Target Blast and Home Run Contest can pop up sometimes, IIRC. That said you just need to tap a button and let your turn time out as usual.

Harlow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Harlow197
I actually unlocked the last custom move the other day. Not that it really matters because customs are kind of dead.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, I unlocked everything on my 3DS and do not own a Wii U
Didn't take as long as expected.

Funny enough, it's waaaaaaaaaaay more difficult for me (completely unviable actually) to get DLCs due to Country/Settings related issues.

:196:

Last edited:
Top Bottom