• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good are Iceies in doubles?

Iceies in doubles. yea or nay?

• Total voters

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I am just wondering, since I never really seen Iceies being played in doubles in tournaments. I would assume they loose a lot of potential since they rely a lot on grabs.

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
I have secondaries for doubles. IC are lame at doubles, they will usually just kill Nana and leave Sopo alive while they double team on your buddy.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Pros:

- Good killing power
- High survivability (your teammate can make it extremely difficult to edgeguard Popo and give you more opportunities to save Nana)

Cons:

- Hard to stay synchronized
- Can't rely on grab combos to the same extent that you can in singles
- Less room to move around, so you have to be smarter and more efficient with your move choice

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I have been theory crafting teams(with a bit of application) with a falcon main for about 2 years now and I believe ICs can be a fairly strong team partner if the other player knows how to play with you and you play ICs completely differently in teams. Due to nana's vulnerability in teams the ICs player is often the main focus of the opposing team, this means a defensive/stage controlling shield based game plan works well. This strategy revolves around your partner being able to move fast enough and punish the opponents when they over extend from a range where they are deceived about their safety in aggression, I believe the only characters well suited to this strategy are Falcon and Fox because of their horizontal movement speed and great edgeguards. As the ICs in this strategy you must be very cautious and patient, often holding shield more than you would in singles(if it breaks you can often hit someone with nana in the confusion of doubles) and wavedashing into quick punishing smashes when appropriate. We have found that if I use my great wavedash to grab ledge from recovering opponents and he covers high options with falcons aerials we are able to have great coverage when edgeguarding and because of that plan I rarely get hit by his aerials near the edge of the stage because I stay on the ground. We have been very successful vs fast faller teams or mixed but have experienced problems with characters like marth and puff.

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
As someone who runs a double Ice Climber team on a weekly basis, they aren't what I would call BAD. They are sub optimal for sure, but they are very good at securing kills and being a general nuisance.

Also there's the top tier strategy of wobbling both of your opponents at the same time

Top Bottom