• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do You Deal With Good Toon Links?

Cloake

Smash Cadet
The kind that projectile spam like nobodies business, short hop spaces like mad, and air-dodge midair grabs with such fluency to combo the **** out of you with it. It seems that his air game takes priority over anything I dish out and I can't get in his melee fast enough to punish him. The eventual attrition of bombs, arrows, and boomerangs then leads to a hookshot, arrow, sliding Usmash combo for a low % kill. Be it just my lack of confidence or what, I just didn't have the speed to stay on his level. I usually dodge and power shield everything until an opening arises but that falls flat on its face when you have this TL leaving you no opening.

On an unrelated note, how do you DI out of a ftilt spamming Sheik at low %ages?

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
for TL just SHAD approach, buff a sheild for projectiles/hookshot, drop it then go. DI towards sheik to get out early.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
tell us how you are playing
try to reflect a boomerang, toon link now has to avoid it or shield it, now it's time to you to get close and stop the camping. Arrow are easy to reflect too.
when you get close, stay in the ground, and make him stay in the ground too. Use your jabs and tilts to that propose.
usually i start to camp with wavebouncing pk fire if they're being annoying, and the first who attack, lose lol
but really, i have problems too with this match up, so not much help here

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
TL can be really hard with Lucas. I play Q who's a really good toon link player pretty often and it's always a tough match. The biggest thing is to make sure you know where his projectiles are at all time and realize where your options are limited. You'll find that you can often avoid the boomerang without shielding leaving more options open. Just be aware of the option which was just shut out because of it. You need to play extremely patiently. TL will use his projectiles to force an opening and take advantage of it. If you're watching carefully though and playing defensively, you can most often shield his approaches and punish with jabs or Nair. Be careful about rolling because he'll get you with projectiles almost every time and usually combo with them. If you predict a Dair use Usmash. This won't happen often though. Mostly, use Lucas's aerial mobility to avoid projectiles along with perfect shielding and wait for him to screw up. He can outspam you. Dair combos are going to be your savior in the end. Oh and if he hits you with his Fsmash, DI up and jump to avoid the second hit. SDI works better but I've had it work with regular DI before if I remember right.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
tell us how you are playing
I usually open with a SH Pk Fire or sliding stance dodge to get in for a Nair combo but he usually jumps back and does his hookshot, boomer, hookshot, arrow pretty much forcing me to shield the whole thing and then I eat a grab. A lot of the mistakes too have to do with me being in the air, because my FF air dodges have a low success rate since he usually hits me during that vulnerability window right before you land. I'm also not particularly adept at lagless combos yet and I'm being punished directly after a lot of my moves, notably my opening combos for DAir where I land all 4 hits but there's no hitstun.

A lot of my playstyle revolves around aerial mobility, feinting attacks, and positioning myself for slower moves like fsmash. Edgeguarding seems a little futile too, since I've attempted PKT1 harass but I usually eat a bomb or two for it, or I try for a spike/aerial and he usually just hits me with the Bup or does his Fair/Uair. The only two real lagless combos I got are the unoriginal patterns of Nair, Tap, Tap, Cancel, Whatever and DAir, Fmash/Dtilt.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
I usually open with a SH Pk Fire or sliding stance dodge to get in for a Nair combo but he usually jumps back and does his hookshot, boomer, hookshot, arrow pretty much forcing me to shield the whole thing and then I eat a grab. A lot of the mistakes too have to do with me being in the air, because my FF air dodges have a low success rate since he usually hits me during that vulnerability window right before you land. I'm also not particularly adept at lagless combos yet and I'm being punished directly after a lot of my moves, notably my opening combos for DAir where I land all 4 hits but there's no hitstun.

A lot of my playstyle revolves around aerial mobility, feinting attacks, and positioning myself for slower moves like fsmash. Edgeguarding seems a little futile too, since I've attempted PKT1 harass but I usually eat a bomb or two for it, or I try for a spike/aerial and he usually just hits me with the Bup or does his Fair/Uair. The only two real lagless combos I got are the unoriginal patterns of Nair, Tap, Tap, Cancel, Whatever and DAir, Fmash/Dtilt.
don't attack when you open the match. wait for him to make a move (probably boomerang), react to it (shield/SHAD/fsmash). Dair is really good in the match up. you have to Fast fall it to autocancel into jab/ftilt/run away. you really shouldb't be in the air much. you can pretty much run, shield, run, shield, SHAD, shield, until you get close and his projectiles lose their usefullnss. TL is one of those characters i PK freeze to edgeguard because their line of recovery is easily seen. if they're above stage recovering PK freeze to force them below, amd the PKT or bair spike.

eh only GOOD TL experience I have is Lobos. does he count for anything?

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I hate this one personally but remember your grabs are you friend here as well. we he finally comes in for the kill and uses that smash shield it and grab right out of it you might slide from the hit but you should still reach him with the snake. Getting above him is good to his Uair is nicely punishable. and pick a bigger stage with more things to naturally block for you and where your stick controlled PK thunder should shine. Your bat is so sweet in this match and thing up close your bat should help fix that and then it reflects his projectiles, use it. Just sit back play smart and wait for him to mess up and punish him

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
My friend mains Toon Link and I can safely say that non-magnetable projectile spam is a female dog to handle.

Anything I would have said has been said already, so I'll just say that you have to be patient and wait for an opening. Rushing in will get you killed in a hurry.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
So why again does our grab not do anything middair?

Snake > Hookshot imo.

Top Bottom