• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I approach Marth?

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
My friend mains Marth and I pretty much have no way to approach since his tilts, fsmash and sheild breaker will cover pretty much all options, and Puff seems way too slow to punish any of it?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Just stay right out side of his tipper range and wait for him to mess up. You'll get tippered like all hell at first, but eventually you'll be able to punish a lot more stuff if you get as close as you can. Also bair obviously doesn't have as big of a hitbox, but it can do some work.

aDavid4

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-1358-2819
Marths love when you float right at them, so stay low and far away. Dash-dance and crouch his grabs. Throw out a quick bair and go from there.

Squirrell

Smash Cadet
Something I like to do against a defensive Marth is sit and crouch-wavedash right outside their SH Fair range. Usually they'll go for a Dtilt here, and if you can predict it you can jump over it and land a Bair/Fair before they can IASA to a Fair. The more classic responses are:

A. Get a percent lead and camp like hell. This matchup is weird in that way, whoever has the lead can camp the game away, and whoever's behind has to approach. So if you get a lead, abuse it. Camp. Plank on the edge like Hbox for 6 minutes. Do whatever you have to do to avoid losing your lead.

B. If you get behind, really all you can do is try to out-space them. You're faster than Marth in the air, use it to your advantage by staying there. Use platforms, especially the top one. Even if they're in the lead, they might get frustrated if they just can't hit you. Eventually they'll make a mistake. Once you make them miss, you can try to get in with a quick Bair, but this has to be REAL quick because Marth's double Fair is stupid in this matchup. If they miss a Fsmash, on the other hand, go in with anything and make them pay hard.

C. Wavedash out of shield. You can actually Rest Marth out of shield easily if you shield a mis-spaced Fsmash, but if you shield a Ftilt, Fair, or tipper Fsmash, you can often wavedash toward them and land a quick aerial to start comboing. Also, if you're facing away and they hit your shield with anything laggy, WD Utilt is a guaranteed follow-up at most percents.

The thing about the Marth matchup is, while he can't really combo you, you combo the ever living heck out of him once you do get in. In that way it's pretty much the opposite of every other Puff matchup.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Honestly for Marth I suggest studying Mango's Puff rather than Hungrybox's. Hungrybox beats Marths by reading movement and approaches, which he gets away with, I'm convinced, solely because he's amazing at the game. Mango, ironically, has a more reactive style that involves shielding hits and punishing, zoning and waiting for Marth to whiff, and occasionally approaching with a mixup. The Mango Puff is kind of outdated now, but it can definitely teach you how to approach the matchup in neutral. For edgeguards and combos/punishes definitely stick to Hungrybox.

Top Bottom