• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hover Cancelling Issues

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with hover cancelling. My control scheme has R set to jump, X as grab, and everything else is normal. My problem is that when I use R to jump and input the down on the analog stick, half the time Mewtwo does a full or short hop, the hover input never goes through. Is there a specific timing to it? Do I do these inputs simultaneously, or one after the other in a very quick fashion?

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
One after the other in a very quick fashion, and remember, because Mewtwo can move in 2 dimensions with his hover, if you hold down for too long, after starting the hover, you will just hit the ground and it will be useless.

Nemy

群れ
Make sure youre doing them immediately after eachother. Almost as if its at the same time. Also you can hold your down input before holding jump. Just make sure you let go of the stick once the hover comes put or you will land again.

Nemy

群れ
Make sure youre doing them immediately after eachother. Almost as if its at the same time. Also you can hold your down input before holding jump. Just make sure you let go of the stick once the hover comes put or you will land again.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Start with an empty hover cancel: hold down on the control stick. Press R and hold it until you hear the hover sound. Let go of down on the control stick when you hit the ground.

From there all you have to do is press the c stick up/left/right at the hover sound to do a hover-cancelled uair/bair/fair.

Doing the dair is just a bit trickier, since it's slower and doesn't come out before you hit the ground with that method. You have to release down on the control stick for a second after the hover sound, but then quickly hold it again. Ideally you only want the hitbox to be out for one frame. I don't know how to quantify the amount of time for which you aren't holding down. You just have to get a feel for it.

Edit: Oh wait, did you mean just hovering at ground level? For that just hold down, hold jump, then release both when you hear the hover sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom