• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Who says I support it? You have to understand both sides of an argument to make the right call.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So...nothing will actually change.

SWEET

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We won't know until the game comes out.
But at this stage I have an assumption or two about Sakurai's design philosophies for this game.
Custom movesets are for appeasing the more casual audience who are less pedantic about balance than the competitive scene is. Mii Fighter is just that, Amiibos is just that. Amiibos are promoting this "super opponent" type of mindset for people to challenge others with.
Custom movesets and mii fighters not being available in open online play kinda accentuate my belief on this.

While they may be able to work, I think it wouldn't be a good thing for us to force something that Sakurai did not intend to be played competitively (if the various indications I observe are being interpreted correctly). Timing factors on top of it give it a bit of a no-go feel too.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not. If not, I do apologize.
I just moved to Spring, TX today. Which is right next to Houston. I'm looking for a melee and or PM crew for smashfest. I just came from NY, due to a very heartbreaking divorce. So... it would be nice to hangout to take my mind off everything.

I do appreciate your time, and I hope to hear back from someone soon.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
We won't know until the game comes out.
But at this stage I have an assumption or two about Sakurai's design philosophies for this game.
Custom movesets are for appeasing the more casual audience who are less pedantic about balance than the competitive scene is. Mii Fighter is just that, Amiibos is just that. Amiibos are promoting this "super opponent" type of mindset for people to challenge others with.
Custom movesets and mii fighters not being available in open online play kinda accentuate my belief on this.

While they may be able to work, I think it wouldn't be a good thing for us to force something that Sakurai did not intend to be played competitively (if the various indications I observe are being interpreted correctly). Timing factors on top of it give it a bit of a no-go feel too.
This is all from your interpretation. For all we know, he could put customization to even further competitive play. This whole post is dangerous as you assume his goals with it. Plus Brawl wasn't met to be competitive & we made it competitive.

Keebler

Smash Cadet
I think it's best to hold off on making any finite judgements right now. However, if something is specifically banned for online play, it would stand to reason that it should be banned in tournaments as well.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not. If not, I do apologize.
I just moved to Spring, TX today. Which is right next to Houston. I'm looking for a melee and or PM crew for smashfest. I just came from NY, due to a very heartbreaking divorce. So... it would be nice to hangout to take my mind off everything.

I do appreciate your time, and I hope to hear back from someone soon.
Hey man, this thread is for brawl and smash 4 mainly. Houston doesn't have a PM scene and the a Houston melee crowd moved to Facebook. If you search "Houston melee" on FB you will find it. It's very active but small.

Smash aside, I was with a girl for 6 years and married for 2. We had a kid as well. She cheated two Octobers ago and I was forced to get a divorce. It was earth shattering at best. Even though you do not know me, if you would like to talk, I'm here.

Xyro77

RT, things are most def gonna change.

I've been asking in many groups around FB and have received a ton of fees back.

I've decided that we will most def start doing amateur brackets/pro brackets from pools at every TGC event. Every player who makes it out of pools goes to the pro bracket and the ones that don't make it out go to the AM bracket. I just need to figure out a pay scheme. Like each player pays 10$ for singles and 8$ goes to pro while 2$ goes to AM? Any ideas?

Keebler, yes you are right. We are all just speculating and/or going by what we went through in brawl/Melee.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This is all from your interpretation. For all we know, he could put customization to even further competitive play. This whole post is dangerous as you assume his goals with it. Plus Brawl wasn't met to be competitive & we made it competitive.
Yeah, I'm on the wait and see approach overall, but there have been multiple indications of a competitive focus in this game. While it may be too early to take stances on those 'inklings' now, it's feasible.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
RT, things are most def gonna change.

I've been asking in many groups around FB and have received a ton of fees back.

I've decided that we will most def start doing amateur brackets/pro brackets from pools at every TGC event. Every player who makes it out of pools goes to the pro bracket and the ones that don't make it out go to the AM bracket. I just need to figure out a pay scheme. Like each player pays 10$ for singles and 8$ goes to pro while 2$ goes to AM? Any ideas?
I don't think this is a good idea. It sounds like it will cause time issues, especially if not enough setups are available. But it is worth a try...

Make the payout for AM bracket the entry fee. You don't want 3rd/4th of Pro bracket receiving LESS than what the winner of AM bracket receives (and obviously, make sure 3rd/4th get more than entry fee back).

Last edited:

Xyro77

So what are you saying?

Pro

1st=55%
2nd=30%
3rd=10%
4th=5%

AM

1st=10$
2nd= 0$
3rd=0$
4th=0$

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Something like that. You would just have to make sure the lowest paid place in PRO gets more than what the winner in AM gets.

Otherwise, it's dumb.

Xyro77

Then how do you do AM Brackets without pools?

Don't s h I t on my ideas if you don't have any yourself.

Also, bring set-ups if you are worried about the quantity.

Last edited:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
When Nike planned his AM brackets, his tourney starts off as a regular double elim bracket.
Once it hits Top 8, everyone else is put into the AM bracket. Winner of AM gets their entry fee back.

Xyro77

Damn so I might as well just do a regular bracket and give entry fee back to the 9th place player.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I never liked the way Nike did AM bracket. I'd prefer pools. If time is an issue, then you can always do 2 match sets instead of 2/3 sets or do bracket pools.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much Xyro. I'll look them up on fb now. Also, I highly appreciate you offering your help. I'll message you soon.
Again, thank you. You're a good person :)

Xyro77

I open for all ideas.

I wanna make this smash 4 stuff the best Houston smash has seen

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
F.

Anyways, hold off on tier events for now since the game will be new. Also crews should be done seldom. Doing them too many times takes away the hype I think.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Yeah, Nike's AM bracket was catered to SA scene more than a high-level tourney set up.

2-match sets pools felt satisfying enough for me in WHOBO4 -- probably enjoyed it better than AM brackets.
Hell, more sets played than waiting on two brackets just to lose 4 sets at worst case scenario.

Xyro77

I didn't start doing tiered events in brawl until tier list 3 iirc. Ness/Ike/sonic/Luigi/PT were considered low tier Lolololol

I could do 2 match sets in pools and have both be random stage. Start off with 3 stocks 7min timer. All chars/custom moves legal for now.

Thoughts?

Keebler

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'm a huge fan of how Melee's rules work, however, as this is a new game, it is fair to consider tweaking them, especially if you need to save time. I think it might be better to see how many people you have signing up for events before you worry too much about time constraints.

Xyro77

Melee is a completely diff game with different needs.

I'm more or less running smash 4 the way I ran brawl at the beginning. Doing so brought in more players and provided better experiences than anything I ever did when I ran melee.

Xyro77

But melee reaches time less than 1% of the time. Brawl it's fairly regularly.

7min is one less min we have to wait.

Keebler

Smash Cadet
I don't disagree with you, but this game also isn't brawl, so that means we don't necessarily need to treat it like brawl.

Top Bottom