• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

holding the controller (focused on right hand)

full_95

Smash Journeyman
yo dudes and possible dudettes (i know, the female smasher is rare, but there are some), ive been getting pretty decent with luigi lately cuz i love using his wavedash and arials. but my default hold (option 1, explained in a sec) seems to overwhelm my thumb. so ive been testing out another way to hold the controller: my default (which i have been doing pretty much for my entire smash career) is your basic thumb on all the buttons/cstick and index for R and Z (ive tried using L, but i hate it so that's out of the question for me), this makes only two fingers have to do everything and can get pretty hectic. so ive been trying out still using the thumb for the face buttons/cstick but using my middle finger for R, index for Z.

with option 1, i do all A's (arials/tilts)/cstick (smash/arials)/B's/XY with my thumb. i use my index for R and Z, so switching back and forth between the two is kind of inefficient.

and for option 2 ive been playing around with using Z (index) and the cstick (thumb) for arials/smash and A (thumb) for tilts and whatnot. i use my middle digit for R. this option distributes button pressing on the right hand through three fingers instead of 2. i havent really mastered it yet, but it seems like when i do, three fingers are more efficient than 2 and you can be more precise this way.

what i want to know is if anyone else has tried something like this and if it was a fruitful endeavor or just ended up being to complicated. if it's the latter, ill just knock off trying to learn a new method and stick with what ive been doing from the beginning.

i know its all about comfort, i just wanna hear if anyone has gone down this road and what the results were.

thanks in advance for your cooperation

ps: maybe this should be posted in the general melee board, but luigi players are definitely the coolest smashers out there so id rather hear your opinions than those other hooligans.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
i like the a button for neutrals and tilts.

c-stick for smashes and aerials.

sometimes i use the a button for aerials too tho....just depends on the situation and how im feelin.
yea, i do the same thing. like for fairs, if im moving towards the bad guy, ill almost always use A cuz i get it much sooner after the jump than if i use the cstick.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I use the c stick for shuffles and smashes, and A button for tilts and double airs. But depending on how im feeling that day, i sometimes use the Z for airs(as long as im not using samus or the links) to double airs. That way i can have 1 finger for shorthops, titlts, smashes and B moves, a different finger for grabs and double airs, and another finger for rolling, shielding, wding.

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
Thumb: Jump with Y, A for arials and tilts, C stick for smashes (mostly down) and sometimes Uairs
Right Index: R for shielding...sometimes, and Z for grabs...most times
Left Index: L(dur) for wavedashing and most of the shielding.
It varies a teeny bit...it just depends...
What caught me as odd is how u said ur hand gets tired...thats a total..."WOW!"

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have watched M2K's hands when he plays (that sounds really wrong). He does the standard thumb for his right hand but occasionally when he wants to do an aerial really fast, he will do 'the claw' where he brings his index finger down to hit y to jump. It really helps when you need to out prioritize a marth, but I just can't get used to it.

I personally have a lot of trouble with changing my instinctive hand positions and movements. It took me forever to learn how to jump cancel my grabs and l cancel certain moves. Now I am trying to remember to position my shield when on platforms and I just never do it.

I also reposition my hand to do Luigi's down B. I press my right thumb and forefinger together and place the controller on my lap. I then like make my hand convulse over the B button. It looks pretty goofy but works decently.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
When I use Luigi, I play the buttons standardly.

Control Stick: General Moving, Wave Dashing, Dash Dancing, other techniques

C- Stick: U air in my shuffles, Smashes if I feel like it.
.__
(L/: L-canceling, Holds When Wave Shield Shielding, Sometimes Wave Dashing
__
\R): Shielding, Main Wavedashing

(A): General tilts, aerials, smashes

(B): General Special Attacks

[Y]: Jumps, Short Hops, Jump Canceled Grabs

[Z]: Grabs, Little Punches in grab...

I hope I don't seem too wierd

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Option 2 doesn't seem much more efficient. You use two different fingers for Z and R. Z and R aren't the cause of standard position problems. Its mainly that you use your thumb to jump with x or y and smash and cstick. Which is still true in option 2. Find a way to comfortably jump with another finger and you may have found a new style.

Top Bottom