• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi, I want to get better and I need advice against Captain falcon

Robertzombie2

Smash Cadet
Im still an amateur and I main Ganondorf / DK

I need to improve, I have trouble dealing with CF players (dat short hop nair/dair/knee pressure.) im thinking of learning marth/zelda to counter them. Or should I stick with G-man

before you say I should go fox, I can't play spacies to save my life. My techskill kinda sucks

heres some of my recent matches 2 days ago (I can't post links yet so just connect the spaces)

http ://goo.gl/EKBy2C
http ://goo.gl/NokXWe
http ://goo.gl/q7QpeQ

I will post more matches after a bit once my friend uploads it if you guys want

bigbluu711

Smash Rookie
I struggle with this matchup a lot too, but I play it all the time since three of the five of us at our weekly fests play Falcon. You just need to hold your ground and try not to let them get in your head. Falcon uses dash-dancing to try and bait you into a punish situation, so you need to try and make the Falcon commit before you. Try holding your shield when they approach, and you can either wavedash back or spot-dodge to avoid the grab or whatever, and then you get your chance to convert, so make every grab count. I know this isn't the DK forum, but I play a little gorilla and I found that the best grab setup is Fthrow(carry)->UThrow and then juggle with Uair, Bair, and Utilt. With Ganon, you need to techchase effectively to keep momentum, which is what Falcon feeds on. Just don't crack! And don't be afraid to throw out warlock kick if they do something unsafe. Hope this helps! (Sick double stomp btw)

Robertzombie2

Smash Cadet
I struggle with this matchup a lot too, but I play it all the time since three of the five of us at our weekly fests play Falcon. You just need to hold your ground and try not to let them get in your head. Falcon uses dash-dancing to try and bait you into a punish situation, so you need to try and make the Falcon commit before you. Try holding your shield when they approach, and you can either wavedash back or spot-dodge to avoid the grab or whatever, and then you get your chance to convert, so make every grab count. I know this isn't the DK forum, but I play a little gorilla and I found that the best grab setup is Fthrow(carry)->UThrow and then juggle with Uair, Bair, and Utilt. With Ganon, you need to techchase effectively to keep momentum, which is what Falcon feeds on. Just don't crack! And don't be afraid to throw out warlock kick if they do something unsafe. Hope this helps! (Sick double stomp btw)

thanks for the advice, I guess I just really need more experience and patience with the matchup and get used to the damn pressure. I envy the people who can get to play with people alot

My area gets like 1 12-16 man tournament per month and the nearest guy I know can practice with is like a 1h long drive

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
You can crouch cancel his nair aproaches, punish with whatever is suitable.

WickedWarlock

Smash Rookie
Keep working on the matchup, I feel that Ganon/CFalcon is a fairly even matchup at even levels of play, maybe even slanted towards Ganon purely because of power and knockback. Of course that's just my opinion! Just a few short thoughts, CFalcon doesn't handle Wiz Kick too well cause he uses lots of short hops. Not to say you should abuse it cause it can be punished, but also the Flame Choke works cause CF has no range to interrupt it. Other than those, get him above you and use uairs and fairs when he's more vulnerable (can't dash dance or outmaneuver Ganon) cause speed definitely kills in the neutral game. Also CHAIN GRABS! That is if you can get in the first shield grab... But yeah, keep working on that Ganon! The great thing about P:M is that, while matchups are still important, skill with a character is usually far more important!

Robertzombie2

Smash Cadet
heres one more (warning its a long one) against the CF player... was doing fine until he pulls out the cf

http ://goo.gl/PmXvF8

(just connect the url cant post links yet)

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
You said that you play DK as well. I play both characters, and from my experience, both of them can win in this match-up. I personally did better with DK because of the absurd combos he can land on fastfallers, but I feel like Ganon does fine in this match-up too.

WickedWarlock

Smash Rookie
Watched your stuff and you got at least the basic technical stuff down, not like Ganon is super technical, but that's good! So Falcon bodied you in the neutral game, he was actually really good and short hop naired all game which kills Ganon cause his crappy grab range. Now when you do manage to get a shield grab off, you need to punish a bit better to try to scare him off. Against fast fallers like CF, Ganon can get chaingrabs off at low/mid damage and then when the damage gets too high you can uair or bair, but it's good for like 30% damage and should teach him to stay away. Otherwise try to keep a little more distance and as I said earlier, Wiz Kick will be your savior in this matchup and might be your best kill move if not fair. Ganon can also somewhat chain Flame Choke in that a low damage you can do something of a jab reset and b-side again before he can react. I noticed he didn't tech the Flame Choke so you can get a guaranteed jab or possibly even a utilt off. Also the ftilts are another nightmare for CF cause his recovery game is worse than Ganon's. Keep working on Ganon's combo game though, it does actually exist!

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf can chaingbrab Falcon from 0% to 170% with dthrow. You should never lose. Also, upward angle ftilt beats a lot of Falcon's approaches and his out of shield options.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's probably not true. At 0%, Falcon can DI behind Ganon (technically behind + down a little) and I'm pretty sure Ganon can't grab quick enough. It's recommended on Spacie animals to get them past 20% or so, and that's just to guarantee a VERY tight frame perfect/almost frame perfect CG assuming best DI. Falcon is harder to CG early on, since Ganon will lag more than he would if it were a Spacie.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
The matchup is tough imo. We have some solid stuff like chaingrabs, but at the end of the day he has this: The ability to Dthrow techcase us for almost free. Our spotdodge SUCKS and we don't have a lot of fast options after spotdodge other than just jump. I cannot tell you how many times I get out of a dthrow techcase follow up my just jabbing with other mains like falco or mario. But Gannon can't really do that. Also did I mention our spotdodge SUCKS? My advice? Focus on our epic follow ups and combo game on him since he is almost a space animal with his fast falling and try to get him off stage. Punish him when he recovers high and punish him when he recovers low. And for the love of god don't get grabbed, that will lead to SOOO much percent on you.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
AWW.... i'm not unique anymore :(

Top Bottom