• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Roy

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ok, I have a crew member who mains roy. Once in a blue he beats me, But like 97% of the time I win. so me beating him is not my issue here. Its getting out of some of his combos. I get comboed easy and it seems like I cant get out. here are the 2 problems I have here.

- His Foward B. I cant DI it and I get hit with everything. Is there a way to DI that move? And I try to crouch cancel, but stay in the air and get hit with everything. I dont know a way around this.

- his air attacks just keep me in the air and its hard to DI it, and if I manage, its hard to land on the floor cause me crew mates roy is agressive. He spams attacks like crazy and trys not to let me breath. I try to land safe. he really spams his Foward B and and I cant break out of it. and aerial attacks.

But I always manage to beat him. I just beleive some of the stuff I go through with him, should not happen and if it does, can be stopped. I get K.O very stupid, or at times cant touch him cause of things like this. so any advice on these 2 things would be most greatful. thanks and advance and big thanks to all those Peach players who help me thus far and help make me what I am today in\\with advice and such. you guys know who you are :)

Too better help me I have three vids here that you can see what I mean. help me..............>___<!!!!!!

Battle one

Battle Two

Battle Three

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Side B can rarely be DI'd out of if you get hit by the first two hits, unless you SDI.

Better to shield the first two, then either dodge the third hit or grab during the lag time of the third.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I agree with Ankoku, just try and shield when you know that he's about to use DED.
and NinjaLink isn't that good at shffling anyways, so just take advantage of his inability to short hop and use it against him.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
I will give you the ultimate advise...Try and avoid Roy's sword!
Ok seriously now...If he wants to raise you in the air to combo you like hell then you must probably spam some turnips on him! I haven't seen the videos but how hard would keeping Roy away?! If you can pace him out with your turnips you'd have no problem.
However when you get hit by Fb and get in the air (in low %) try to quickly tumble and air dodge back to the ground. Bit hard I know but it works...And with your finger dexterity that will not be a problem. In higher % try and quickly tumble again and then jump high in the air and...Dunno float!? (Like duh!) and try to land back down in the ground using Peach's Bair as your defense and offense! Try and do these things and let me know if it helped!
And by the way...In a match you CANNOT avoid everything :) Not unless you're Aken Sol :D

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Side B can rarely be DI'd out of if you get hit by the first two hits, unless you SDI.

Better to shield the first two, then either dodge the third hit or grab during the lag time of the third.
What is SDI?

I agree with Ankoku, just try and shield when you know that he's about to use DED.
and NinjaLink isn't that good at shffling anyways, so just take advantage of his inability to short hop and use it against him.
Yea I do at times. Guess I'll just have to use that then as a tatic. and I know you can cc his F-B I dont it before. I just cant ell how cause I times I can do it, and at other times I cant.

I will give you the ultimate advise...Try and avoid Roy's sword!
Ok seriously now...If he wants to raise you in the air to combo you like hell then you must probably spam some turnips on him! I haven't seen the videos but how hard would keeping Roy away?! If you can pace him out with your turnips you'd have no problem.
However when you get hit by Fb and get in the air (in low %) try to quickly tumble and air dodge back to the ground. Bit hard I know but it works...And with your finger dexterity that will not be a problem. In higher % try and quickly tumble again and then jump high in the air and...Dunno float!? (Like duh!) and try to land back down in the ground using Peach's Bair as your defense and offense! Try and do these things and let me know if it helped!
And by the way...In a match you CANNOT avoid everything :) Not unless you're Aken Sol :D
Baaaahhh. I never said I wanted to avoid everything, If course im gonna get caught with stuff. Im no mind reader. Maybe if you say the videos you see I try to do some of what you say to do here. and not so easy when You have a power hungry roy all over you and going crazy

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
SDI is Smash Directional Influence. Read Doraki's guide on DI over here.

CCing the first two hits of Roy's DED works, but CCing the third one is generally a bad idea. The fourth one has enough lag that you can actually grab, roll behind, or DSmash him before it even hits.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Oh, I know what Smash DI is. I just did not know SDI was what you ment. Ok I got it. I know how to do that. So I guess I'll try it

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Roy's biggest weakness to me is his lack of approach, he can grab you or start his double edge dance..you need to capitalize on that. Force him to approach you while you flung turnips. Float along the ground by insta-floating and try to land a blow then tech chase him with it, he has to resort to over b as his fast jabbing move so it can be predicted and sheild grabbed. His d-smash seemed the best way of killing you once you got high damage, stay in the air and you're virtually unkillable.

Jash

Smash Lord
Just Crouch Cancel everything he does except his Forward Smash on like 80% or something like. Roy has only set up attacks which are weak and can easily be Crouch Canceled, So this should save you from his SideB, all of his air attacks, his Dsmash which leaves him super open, basically everything that he has can be crouch canceled except his FSmash.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ok so the air is the best way to go then. Ok I have 2 questions then

#1- His sword tends to stop me when I try to FC-D-air or FC to N-air. How can I get around this.

#2- What is the best way to fight him in the air while he spams aerial trying to beat you in an air fight?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How about using turnips to distract him while approaching?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Isuppose I can do that, but THIS Roy is power hungry and at times wont be able to pull one out, he is a attacking fiend. So I have to really fight without turnips unless I get space from him.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Your air attacks should eat right through his, especially the nair since it comes out so fast and powerful. If he tries to win an air battle, he should lose, badly.

and if his should stops you from float canceling d-airs and whatnot, just be less direct without, float around abit and keep him guessing I suppose.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
why the hell are you complaining against fighting ROY with PEACH.

1. all your moves beat his
2. he cant combo you
3. you can DI every move he does

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Listen clown I dealt with your crap in the summer or last year. I dont want to go through this again. Cause I really dont like haveing a fight on the boards, have not had on in a while and plan to keep it that way. Now im in the process of learning Peaches match ups with every character and getting use to it. So I want to learn this one cause OBVIOUSLY I need help at fighting better at this match up. Ether give tips or advice or dont post here to tick me off.Dont start anything in this thread. you dare post something to start with me I will report you and also not respond to your posts. I warn you now. Dont start your crap again.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Chereokee warrior, don't be a prick, seriously.

you first came here acting noobish so stop it ahead of time. Any character can have trouble against any other character due to how someone uses them. Tiers exist yes but theres some degree of learning how someone fights.

Link226

Smash Ace
why the hell are you complaining against fighting ROY with PEACH.

1. all your moves beat his
2. he cant combo you
3. you can DI every move he does
OBVIOUSLY HE'S ASKING BECAUSE HE NEEDS HELP FIGHTING THEM!!! ****ing ******* for real.

Anyway, fighting Roy is kinda easy in my opinion. Especially if they charge at you all the time. And does NL do alot of aerial moves D.P? Well if so i believe Roys L-canceled moves still isnt really fast. I know NL does alot of Fairs so you can shield grab the **** out of him whenever he does it, well he used Fair alot when we last played. It can probably help if you tech chase him with grabs too. Or if you know hes gonna roll somewhere you can FC toward him and dair his ***.

P.S i just found out you wasnt really asking for help fighting Roy, but just wanted to know how to get out of his combos. LOL Spider-Man 3 was the ****!!!!!

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
lol at your SD at 2:07 in match 3... work on your survival skills

Roy has hard time killing Peach. Just camp him out when you're at high percentage and wait for that dsmash/fsmash/aerial neutral-b to come out.

And Cherokee Warrior is right in a way. Try to focus on learning the Marth matchup instead, then fighting Roy should come out naturally cause Roy is a handicapped Marth.

Also you need to pick up on things that your opponent do faster. I'm talking about NinjaLink's downB usage here.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Well thanks everyone who help me here. I pretty much did what you said, now Roy is more simple for me to fight than before. Last I played I 2 stock my friends Roy in a set. I DI away from all his lil combos and all. and since he is power hungry and loves too attack, I just watched him and just did my mindgames. Anymore tips is welcome I suppose.. But I think this mission here is done with me and Roys. Thanks all once again for the help

Top Bottom