• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on countering fox's up throw to uair!

safety second

Smash Rookie
I played against a kid who is obviously better than me. He plays as fox, and I am having such a hard time avoiding his grab. If he gets me in a grab is their anyway to prevent the upthrow to up air combo. It ruins me.

Ares726

Smash Ace
You can DI the initial throw to the side to make it a little bit harder, and you can smash DI the uair itself so that you don't get hit by the stronger part of it. You could also try not getting grab (sarcasm). But seriously, you can keep Fox out of grab range with tilts and needles. If he does grab you, just DI.

Ares726

Smash Ace
You should do both. If you DI the uthrow and the Fox is scrubby (or you have a lot of damage) they won't be able to do a running uair and hit you. If they do hit you, then you smash DI (maybe even ASDI) the uair itself to avoid all the knockback.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Don't get grabbed.

The best thing to do is DI the initial throw. Fox throws you immediately, though, so it's not easy to do until you've made it second nature. DIing the uair so you don't get hit is quite hard, and I haven't seen many pros who can consistently do it (Marcus was the only pro I've ever seen do it all the time), but it's worth trying.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
You can DI the initial throw to the side to make it a little bit harder, and you can smash DI the uair itself so that you don't get hit by the stronger part of it. You could also try not getting grab (sarcasm). But seriously, you can keep Fox out of grab range with tilts and needles. If he does grab you, just DI.
ok i got a quick question. i'm fairly new to SSMB, as in i have only been playing since last Semester. but in that time i have been able to catch up to some friends who have been playing for about 5 years now with the help of a semi-pro friend. my question is, what exactly is a Smash DI and how do you do it?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
In the worst case scenario where you know you are going to be u aired,just d air and it should trade blows.

Ares726

Smash Ace
ok i got a quick question. i'm fairly new to SSMB, as in i have only been playing since last Semester. but in that time i have been able to catch up to some friends who have been playing for about 5 years now with the help of a semi-pro friend. my question is, what exactly is a Smash DI and how do you do it?
You could use the search function, or you could click here. I learned a lot from reading that thread, hopefully you will too. It pretty much answer all your DI related questions. Also, once you make the uthrow->uair ineffective, the Fox will have to adapt in order to get a kill off. From what I've seen, uthrow->uair is such integral part of Fox's game it's hard for some people to be creative and come up with something new.

On a side note: Watch out for falling uairs! Those are sexy, but hurt like crazy becasue they happen really quickly. Falling uairs tend to kill me more than uthrow->uair or uair juggling does.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
What you can also do is just pretend your dash dancing in the air. It doesn't work all the time but it works a lot... or if you want to be more precise. You can learn to di the first hit (aka jam the stick to the left/right) and then di the second hit the opposite of what you did at first. So if you hit left for the first hit, you would jam your stick to the right on the second hit.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
You could use the search function, or you could click here. I learned a lot from reading that thread, hopefully you will too. It pretty much answer all your DI related questions. Also, once you make the uthrow->uair ineffective, the Fox will have to adapt in order to get a kill off. From what I've seen, uthrow->uair is such integral part of Fox's game it's hard for some people to be creative and come up with something new.

On a side note: Watch out for falling uairs! Those are sexy, but hurt like crazy becasue they happen really quickly. Falling uairs tend to kill me more than uthrow->uair or uair juggling does.
nair and bair hurt a lot. uair is obviously the most effective, but nair and bair don't play.

soap

Smash Hero
i di away and spam cstick in their direction to try and get an aerial out and smak them away, sometimes i use uair to dodge it or trade hits as it makes you a smaller horizontal target. it works like half the time... fox is gay.

Luma

Smash Lord
i got 2 little tricks

first one is DI to left/right and then do SDI (with stick and c stick) to the other side

or

just do a light DI (works really good but its imo pretty hard to figure out how much u should DI)

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
dont smash DI.

asdi will serve you just fine - usually <ironically> asdi up will get you out of the way of the stronger part of the uair.

DI left or right the throw.

if you try to smash DI, you MIGHT get it, but frankly the timing is about 30% harder than powershielding, not to mention its not just pressing a button down.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
does ASDI get you out of fox Uair? that means all you have to do is hold up, whereas to do smash DI you would have to hit up RIGHT when the first hit hits you, and then you would get smash DI, and then ASDI afterward, which would certainly get you out of the stronger hit...

is all of that right? do i need to just hold up, or smash DI up? and is smash DI up smashing up right when the first hit hits?

derf

Smash Ace
the people ive seen use this consistantly always smash di left or right. is up better? and c stick alone doesnt work (at least for left/right)

Xeorogue

Smash Ace
ASDI is Automatic Smash DI, if you are holding the stick one way as soon as the move hits, it counts it as smash DI. The proper way to avoid the up-throw Uair combo with fox is to DI the way he is facing when you are thrown in the air to go farthest away from him. When you are getting hit with the Uair you need to smashDi back the other way to avoid the second hit. Works wonders, ask M2K. ASDI might suffice, but i dont know about that.

Ares726

Smash Ace
ASDI is Automatic Smash DI, if you are holding the stick one way as soon as the move hits, it counts it as smash DI. The proper way to avoid the up-throw Uair combo with fox is to DI the way he is facing when you are thrown in the air to go farthest away from him. When you are getting hit with the Uair you need to smashDi back the other way to avoid the second hit. Works wonders, ask M2K. ASDI might suffice, but i dont know about that.
ASDI works sometimes (at least in my experience). Xeorogue has it spot on though. DI uthrow away from Fox, Smash DI the first hit the other way. The Smash DI will carry over into ASDI and then regular DI and you'll be on the other side of Fox ready to bair.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
ok, cool. if my fox friend knew how to Uthrow--->uair he'd prolly get annoyed by this... i wish my friends practiced as much as me.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
I've heard some people say that "dashdancing in the air" works to avoid the powerful hit. Can you just pretend to dashdance to DI out of it? Or do you have to be more precise.

I'll be practicing what Xeorogue said anyway.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I've been messing around with this in Action Replay, and the best DI I can find is to DI the first hit of the uair away from fox (away from the direction fox is facing) and immediately roll to up-away DI, doing a sort of "quater-circle" smash DI. This alone if timed correctly should almost always get you out of the second hit.

I cannot test the Automatic Smash DI with the C-Stick in AR, but with just using the control stick, it seems that the best ASDI is down-away. In other words, the best results that I got were from hitting away->up-away->down-away. This provided a little extra distance from the second hit. If I understand ASDI correctly, you'd want to be holding down-away on the C-stick while doing Smash DI away->up-away for the best results.

Hopefully I can begin testing this out in some actual battles soon to see how effective it is.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Ok I have a few tips because I had the same problem.
1. Avoid grabs
2. DI the throw up or left and keep tapping jump or A to try and interrupt the U-Air
3. Unplug their controller and say No Johns

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
After you realize you can't win sandbag him and say I was studying you.
DI Up for the first Uair Hit or left/right for the second hit.
Dair and DI
Change to Zelda for MINDGAMES!
Pause and say Mindgrains!
Never get in the air.

AThirdParty

Smash Apprentice
I think the best option is to DI behind the Fox as to make it harder for him to get to the u-air (because he has to turn around) and then either hold up on the joystick to ASDI above the second hit (maybe hold the joystick slighly to the side too to escape the long toe part of the second fox hitbox), or you could smash DI the first hit to the left/right.

Banksya

Smash Ace
some foxes get foiled with a sex kick, if they arent that great...

most of them do it right tho and you have to smash DI the first hit, or DI it altogether.

safety second

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think a tutorial video would be helpful to apparently a large number of people. I am having trouble completely picturing the logistics. If someone could make an instructional video on the smash di that would be cool cause i don't really understand it that well.

Top Bottom