• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against this Marth

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
I didn't watch all of them buuuut.....
You and your friend need some mindgames. Try to fake him out and miss on purpose or something. Lead him to think you're going to to something, and then do something differently.
And also, Where's your DJC? ( double jump canceling )
Watch some of the videos in the ness video archive to learn alot.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Definitely watch the videos. Your major problem is speed, you need to be pulling out moves a lot faster, definitely abuse your fair and dash attack, learn to space your dash attack better, try to hit Marth with the last spark, it's got more range than his tipper. You've got the right idea getting in close, but use your tilts(especially your ftilt and dtilt) If Marth is in the air, or just above you, start juggling him once or twice, and if you think he's going to use his counter, purposefully jump into him, and hit him with a bair once the counter is over, it's a good mindgame if you can predict the Marth.

Other than that, just be careful around Marth, don't run into his range unless you have an attack, and just...just freaking STOP with the Pk Thunder. Especially on Pokemon Stadium, seriously, only use PK Thunder if he's above you and you can't juggle him.

Practice your DjC more, against Marth, you need to be able to do to DJCFFLs pretty often. Other than that, spacing, spacing, spacing, abuse the bair, and learn to love your fair, the basics for a Ness.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Alright, well heres my long winded take...

I see you roll a lot. It has a predictable short distance and isn't very fast. Bob dosen't actually abuse you very much for using it...but other Marths will see you start to roll and be there grabbing you before you can do anything. WD more to get your spacing just right. Run in, WD back to avoid the blade, and then go in for a throw.

Your move set is also very limited. There is something to be said for a bare bones move set with Ness. A lot of his moves aren't good for competitive matches...but you're overlooking some that are worthwhile. Even moves which aren't quite great are important because having a diverse move set makes you less predictable. There is nothing you want less than your next move being predictable.

I suggest throwing in some Uairs. (why try to Fair a Marth above you??) Down Throws are good for a heavy character at low damage, see how many Up Tilts you can get in. Also, if he rolls away from your Down Throw you can meet him easily with a DJC Bair. DJC Bairs...and believe it or not but PK Fire! It's distance can work on Marth and it's worth the surprise. Don't overdue it...a hand full a match is enough.

Two more concepts I'm going to toss out there are distancing your triple jump and defense.

The first one is somewhat simple...several times you go for the long awkward Ness triple jump within easy range of Marths vicious spike. Learn to perform the triple jump only from as close as you have to be. It will prevent Marth from killing you and can actually cause the Marth to kill himself. It's silly but it happens, I've seen it happen so many times. My friend said just the other day "I know you always do that too far for me to get to you, but I always end up trying, and it always turns out badly."

The second concept is more radical, why not play defensive against Marth sometimes? Marth is a great defender, force him to play offensive and gain an upperhand. If you attack Marth he can retaliate with great power and range...but the lag on Marths sword is viable, and if you force him to come to you, you can dodge and work in some good hits while he recovers. (WDing back from the fray is one extremely effective defensive strategy)

Do any of those sound like meathods you could use?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
LMAO this resembles my playstyle when I first learned how to wavedash.. Anyway, use his tilts and u-air. He has other moves that are worth using.

You are very predictable with your pk thunder usage. Don't always aim it directly for your opponent. Occasionally, aim it for him, and before hitting him, bring it back to yourself to hit you into him. Don't even do this too much, as it is punishable if it misses. If you are going to use pk thunder, don't miss like you did 8 seconds into the match, or use it at that close of a range either. If the Marth were better, he would have been able to punish that.

Don't use PK flash when your opponent could easily avoid it like you started doing at 1:26. Against a better opponent, he would have gotten out of there and killed you when you were trying to do that.

You also shield too much when your opponent approaches. Learn to wavedash back instead some of the time. This might be an easier concept to learn when playing someone with a terrible shield, like Game and watch or DK.

Stop using your second jump for no reason! If you are attacking someone who is high in the air, full jump once, and then land. If you are attacking someone closer to the ground, shorthop or djc. You will use up your second jump if you djc, but it's a lot faster than full jumping, then using your second jump, waiting to float back to the ground, and then attacking. Plus it's useful in more situations.

Levitas

the moon
Pay serious attention to spacing always against marth. As I main Marth and Ness, that is the most important thing I can tell you. If you want to pressure him into missing a fsmash, which seems entirely possible, be really sure that you know where the sword is going to be, and make sure the answer is not your head.

Top Bottom