• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HBox vs. Armada

Crip

Smash Rookie
So as many of you probably know or heard, hungrybox beat armada 2-1 in sets at dreamhack, giving him one of his first 1st place finishes in awhile. I didn't watch all dreamhack, but luckily I stayed for these two's matches. I just wanted to start a discussion/point out some big things I saw HBox doing vs. armada that gave him the win. 1.) HBox played HELLLA patient. Armada has usually been the one to out-patient his opponents, except obviously hbox planking, but it seemed like armada was the one losing his patience by the end of the set (which was also due to hbox taking and keeping game leads in the sets). 2.) HBox positional spacing was immaculate, he was always at this diagonal spacing where he could FF bair to catch any approach from armada, while also being able to drift away if need be. 3.) HBox went for a lot of cheesy rest setups that armada wasn't used to or ready for, and eventually armada seemed to crack. 4.) HBox tech was on point.. we only saw like 3-4 missed rests in 11 or so games, and just generally his movement, setups, and defensive options were all really good. This is just my short analysis after watching it live, however I haven't had the chance to rewatch and analyze. If anyone noticed anything in these sets, pls comment, I'm sure there was a lot hbox was doing that we can learn from.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I'm more interested in the aftermath.

I wonder what Armada's going to develop in the lab for Genesis 3. I've been waiting for someone to counter Hungrybox with a ledge-camping Yoshi and just throw eggs for eight minutes straight. If he could camp out Hbox back in the day with Young Link doing the same with a pocket counter Yoshi can work.

billyboy48

Smash Rookie
Lol the yoshis idea is interesting and seems almost feasible. What do you guys think of hungrybox's "air planking" style that armada said he was using ? Did you guys really notice his style change all that much?

Massive

Smash Champion
Hbox played really well at Dreamhack, he was on point after the reset but he was aided that crucial bit by the fact that Fox is objectively worse in PAL.

Not only does his usmash have slightly lower knockback and damage (as evidenced by hbox surviving usmash at a higher % than normal), but fox's firefox is less dangerous than in NTSC, having a smaller flame hitbox size and shorter distance.

Hbox is completely aware of this and wisely used it to his advantage.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Hbox played really well at Dreamhack, he was on point after the reset but he was aided that crucial bit by the fact that Fox is objectively worse in PAL.

Not only does his usmash have slightly lower knockback and damage (as evidenced by hbox surviving usmash at a higher % than normal), but fox's firefox is less dangerous than in NTSC, having a smaller flame hitbox size and shorter distance.

Hbox is completely aware of this and wisely used it to his advantage.
Yeah... we have to wonder, will he be able to do it in NTSC?

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Hbox managed to grab a ton of Armada's nair approaches. As far as I can tell he pretty much just had godlike microspacing and his constant wavedashes of various lengths made it hard for Armada to know how to space his nairs safely.

Top Bottom