• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Smash 4 messed with your reflexes in Project M?

Has Smash 4 messed with your reflexes and tech in Project M?

• Total voters

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I went back to Project M today, after getting an itch to play. I load up, choose Roy, and get thrown into a match against a level 9 Zelda. I try to wave dash, but I can't do it reliably. I get absolutely bodied by Zelda and lose. Switch to a level 9 Fox, switching to my Lucas. Lose. Ivysaur? No. L-Canceling rate averaging below 30%, when before it would be around 70%. The only character I can beat him with is Ganondorf, when before Smash 4 came out I was doing good with all my mains.

So, tldr: Does playing Smash 4 affect your instincts and tech skill in Project M (or other titles), or are you pretty good with retaining them as you switch games? If so, do you do anything to force your brain into a certain behavior?

(Long text, but I need help.)

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
You guys are.. Interesting, to say the least.

Last edited:

armyman12345

Smash Apprentice
No, because I'm too poor to buy a Wii U and Smash 4 and GCC adapter.
Someone has said it before me...

Anyway, I'm actually a very terrible smash player. I don't know how to wavedash or L-cancel, but the only level 9 CPUs that I have trouble with is Fox or Falco. I don't know what this means to you, though. (I don't play with items and usually play on Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2 or Final Destination. I hope they improve the AI.) But I would recommend dedicating some time to Smash 4 and some to PM.

Last edited:

Ekiele0

Smash Rookie
I personally switch between the two all the time and experience severe consequences. Bad L canceling, poor wavedashing/wavelanding on PM, In S4 I start jump air dashing trying to get away, attempts to waveland cause horrible landing lag. But I really do enjoy playing both games, how frustrating.

Zoa

Smash Ace
It royally ****ed with my tech skill before I dropped Smash 4 for good.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I spent 2 hours playing Melee after 2 weeks of nothing but Smash 4.

The entire time I was doing stupid crap

-Not even attempting to L-Cancel
-Spamming Air Dodge
-Flubbing Wave Dashes
-Trying to punish by dashing out of shield
-Not sweet spotting recoveries
-Being completely flabbergasted by the existence of shield stun

I was ENTIRELY aware I was making these mistakes. And I couldn't adjust for a full 2 hours.

So I'm making it a habit to ban Smash 4 in my house 2 weeks prior to any tournament or fest.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Oddly enough, playing Smash 4 has made me better at PM because I'm a lot more patient, careful and aware than I was when i played PM before and just forced my way across the stage all of the time. I have better control around to stages and am much better at countering opponents and getting into combos.

I just wish that I could actually apply all of that to Smash 4. I like it simply as a casual game, but PM is still the peak of Smash entertainment for me.

Too bad I can't play as my Mii Brawler in PM. There's literally the only reason I still play Smash 4. >>

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Occasionally I'll attempt to buffer things in PM if i've played a lot of SmUsh lately. Most frequently I try to buffer dashes while finishing an attack.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Yea I have trouble switching between games, played smash 4 about a month switched back took me about 4 hours of training to get most of my skill back

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I tend to over-rely on jabs in PM lately. Besides that, my tech skill hasn't been affected, minus the rust that came with not playing smash for a few weeks before my semester ended.

I typically avoid playing the same characters in both games, except if it's falco considering he's so drastically different.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I tend to over-rely on jabs in PM lately. Besides that, my tech skill hasn't been affected, minus the rust that came with not playing smash for a few weeks before my semester ended.

I typically avoid playing the same characters in both games, except if it's falco considering he's so drastically different.
I also tend to stick to different characters between games as well, or anyone who is cut from the next game (Roy, Lucas, Ivysaur). Really does help so you don't have to remember different characteristics on the fly.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
After playing Smash 4 for so long, I now have problems trying to wavedash and l-cancel. For now, due to a broken disc, I have been playing Project M on Dolphin. I decided to play Brawl for the heck of it. To my suprise, Brawl seemed bearable speedwise. Sakurai stated that Smash 4 is the speed between Brawl and Melee. So playing it made me used tonplaying both games. Great suprise, but I still wish Smash 4 had as much tech as Melee and Project M

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
It did one time (mostly messed with my L cancels), but then I decided not to play Sm4sh anymore so.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly, I don't treat Smash 4 as a competitive game like PM, and only really play Pac Man and Roy Koopa. Still a good game, but different.

I know how to adjust. If anything I cant play Ganondorf at all in smash 4 because of how much better he is in PM. I always keep accidentally trying to do his stomp and end up leaving his crotch wide open.

Thor

Smash Champion
The only problem I have switching between games is when I try to L-cancel one of my trolling knees in Smash 4 (i.e., I knew it was a terrible idea but I was trolling anyway, which is something I do a lot when I pick Falcon [cuz I'm pretty bad at him]). But considering that has zero consequence besides adding a few extra presses to my R button, I don't really care.

I play 64, Melee, Brawl, Brawl-, PM, Smash 4 3DS, and Smash 4 Wii U, and I have very little trouble switching between games [though my skill level in those games is unequal due to having tournaments for only some of them available to me]. If you do have trouble several more times, it might help to give yourself a 2 or 3 minute window to warm up tech skill for the required game (64 is usually just L-cancelling [maybe teleport?], but for Melee and PM wavedash/L-cancel, PM and Brawl DACUS/glidetossing, Smash 4 auto-cancel SHAD if you use that and if you perfect pivot, etc.).

If you play them both for a while switching around should become pretty easy. But if you only play one for like a month at a time and then switch back and play that for like a month, I could see why that would be slightly problematic.

[Also M2K has made it work for years with Brawl and Melee, so it's definitely doable at a high level - and that's also why in some older Brawl/Melee vids, it opens up with button checks - he's making sure he's wavedashing consistently or landing his double uair airdodges as MK before the set.]

MLGF

Smash Lord
Yeah, I had troubles.
But then I realized, Sm4sh is boring, so that problem was solved.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The opposite for me.

I still try to L-Cancel and Waveland in SMash 4 which causes me to AD into the ground and I get punished in that.

Outside of that, no because I only play Megaman in Smash 4 and he plays so drastically different from everyone else that there is very little from Mega that translates into PM so I'm fairly safe.

Smash 4 has helped my ability to read and punish rolls though looooooooooooool

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Not that much, but a bit. I don't play Smash 4 that often, and I can imagine it would be worse if I actually played the game as much as P:M.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
I have a problem of accidently trying to wavedash and l-cancel in sm4sh while rolling a lot in P:M if I play both games ^^;

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I just use different chars in different games. I see Wario, G&W, Ike, etc. as my character and know to play Project M. When I see Diddy in the Smash 4 graphics I know what I'm supposed to be doing. Heck I'm even fine switching between Melee Sheik and Smash 4 Sheik after a game or two. Most people that have major trouble switching games when they also play both frequently lack adaptation skills and prob aren't that great at either game.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Yes. When ever my friends make me plays Smash 4 for long periods of time, I always have to warm up in PM. My timing gets all lazy.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I have a "I only play Smash 4 casually/ play for fun under usual official TO rules (no items and whatnot)" policy.

I only play seriously in PM now.

Narpas_sword

I had a go at Smash4 last night.

Kept pausing accidentally because id try and hit the c stick but Start was there (wiiu pad).

Think i annoyed everyone enough to have a good reason to stick to PM now =p

TreK

Is "that guy"
^ lmao that happens to me all the time as well

I got my Wii U after the adapter was not available anymore, so I play Smash Wii U with the Wii U gamepad at the moment. I guess it helps not screwing me up in other games but screw whoever decided it was a good idea to have the C stick above the buttons x)

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
The opposite for me.

I still try to L-Cancel and Waveland in SMash 4 which causes me to AD into the ground and I get punished in that.

Outside of that, no because I only play Megaman in Smash 4 and he plays so drastically different from everyone else that there is very little from Mega that translates into PM so I'm fairly safe.

Smash 4 has helped my ability to read and punish rolls though looooooooooooool
Lol, pretty much exactly this.

Whenever I try playing Lucina or something, I end up trying to shffl my F-airs, but Megaman just plays like...Megaman. So I just end up playing exclusively as him.

Of course, I play Roy pretty exclusively in PM as well, so the skillsets for both games are kept pretty separate. Actually, I even switched control schemes for Megaman so that it feels more like a Megaman game. It's worked like a charm.

Last edited:

EpicCupcakez

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicCupcakes
3DS FC
0018-1627-8120
UGH THIS.
I went to a tournament that had both Smash 4 and PM.
I get top 8 in Smash 4 and 33rd in PM, usually it's switched .____.

Fortress

Smash Master
Yup. Went through a slump for a couple of months, unable to identify what my problem was. I could do everything on cue before playing Smash U (the DS version didn't do a thing to me, oddly), and when I came back, I was doing pretty much what everybody here has already posted about. I can't even go back to Sheik right now as it is. Took some serious lab time to get back into my groove.

Melee has this effect on me as well, with the strange control stick deadzone that it has. I find myself going to Melee from PM, pivoting in place when I want to dash dance, standing still when I feel I shouldn't be, and overall just feeling clunkier. It carries back over to PM, and the whole ordeal just sucks. Feels like I'm going through 'tech therapy' getting everything back.

Narpas_sword

Melee has this effect on me as well, with the strange control stick deadzone that it has. I find myself going to Melee from PM, pivoting in place when I want to dash dance, standing still when I feel I shouldn't be, and overall just feeling clunkier. It carries back over to PM, and the whole ordeal just sucks. Feels like I'm going through 'tech therapy' getting everything back.
I do this every time i go back to melee.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I remember having this problem back when I tried to juggle Brawl and Melee before I eventually quit playing Brawl altogether. PM and Smash 4 isn't as bad because PM lacks the funky dead zones on the joystick that Melee has.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem for me is remembering whether to vector or DI.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't have much trouble switching between games. The only issues I have between the two are characters that are drastically different (:ganondorf::lucario::falco:).

...And not being able to play aerial momentum games with :yoshi::gaw: due to their changed (and, in my absolutely subjective opinion, inferior) Uspec here. That kinda sucks.

The biggest problem for me is remembering whether to vector or DI.
Vectoring was patched out back into DI.

Fight for Piece

Smash Rookie
You guys should just use different characters in each game - so you dont get mixed up when swapping. Thats what I do. After that it only takes like a minute or two to be able to play properly again. I suggest if you are maining roy like me, don't play marth or lucina in S4. Play someone completely different so your brain does not explode.

Top Bottom